Beloved comedian Cal Wilson passes away at 53

The Australian entertainment community is reeling from the devastating news that acclaimed comedian Cal Wilson passed away this week at 53 years old.

Wilson's cause of death was revealed to be an extremely rare and aggressive form of cancer.

According to reports, the Melbourne-based comic privately battled the disease while filming for The Great Australian Bake Off in Sydney.

She was suddenly hospitalised after being treated for severe back pain, likely a symptom of the cancer advancing.

Wilson died surrounded by loved ones at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital days later.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 8.44.10 AM.png
Popular stand-up comedian and TV personality Cal Wilson has died at the age of 53. Credit: Facebook/Cal Wilson.

Wilson's management company, Token Artists, announced her passing, stating: 'We are devastated to share the news that Cal Wilson, the much-loved stand-up comedian, writer and actor, died today, surrounded by family and friends after a short illness at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.'

'Cal's generosity, talent and friendship have been constants in the Australian comedy scene for the last twenty years. Cal was loved by her family, friends, fans and peers, and a huge hole has been torn in the heart of our community.'

Originally from New Zealand, Wilson moved to Australia in 2003 and soon became a fixture on the stand-up circuit.

She won Best Newcomer at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and appeared at the event an impressive 14 times over her decorated career.

In addition to stand-up and stage shows, Wilson regularly appeared on beloved Australian TV programs like Have You Been Paying Attention?, Rove Live, Good News Week, Spicks and Specks, The Project, and Hughesy, We Have a Problem.

She also co-hosted The Great Australian Bake Off alongside Natalie Tran, delighting fans with her signature warmth and wit.

Cal Wilson is survived by her husband, Chris Woods, and her 14-year-old son, Digby. In one of her final interviews just months before her passing, she spoke warmly about her teenage son.

During an appearance on Adam Miller's Bakeology podcast, the host asked her what legacy she thought she would leave for Digby. Cal replied warmly, 'I think it will be for pancakes because that's a fairly regular weekend thing.'

'And when you serve the pancakes, you throw them like a frisbee, the first couple, and then if you're going to have maple syrup on them, obviously you don't do that. You always do the test pancake—hurl it across the kitchen.'

She also noted that their gingerbread baking sessions would likely leave a lasting impression on Digby. With a touch of humour, she added, 'We make a lot of gingerbread together. Well, we start making it together, and he goes off with the lump of dough as any good child should.'

Credit: TheMelbComedyFest.

Her untimely passing is a devastating loss for her family and the entertainment community, and social media tributes poured in.

'This is so tragic, and my heart goes out to Cal's family,' fellow comedian Rebel Wilson wrote. 'She was amazingly talented and amazingly kind.'

Shaynna Blaze was equally devastated, finding it 'heartbreaking'. She said, 'I can't even comprehend this right now. The most divine, radiant person who I have watched, admired and worked alongside.'

Dylan Alcott, the Australian of the Year, paid tribute to Cal as a 'beautiful person who always had time for everyone'.

Meanwhile, TV host Grant Denyer found the news so shocking that it left him 'shaking'. He expressed his disbelief and sadness, praising Cal as the 'most tender, kind, generous, and talented performer' he had ever worked with.

Key Takeaways

• Beloved stand-up comedian and TV personality Cal Wilson passed away at 53 due to a rare and aggressive form of cancer.
  • The Melbourne-based star was filming The Great Australian Bake Off in Sydney when she had to be taken to hospital, and she had kept her health battle private.
  • Cal Wilson was a well-known figure in the Australian comedy scene for the last twenty years, featuring in numerous TV shows and on the radio, winning the Melbourne Comedy Festival's Best Newcomer Award in 2001.
  • Tributes have poured in from leading Aussie entertainers expressing their disbelief and admiration for Wilson, with many describing her as talented, kind, and a beautiful soul.

While the circumstances of her death are tragic, Cal Wilson leaves behind a legacy as one of Australia's most popular and influential comedians. She brought laughter and joy to audiences for years, and her memory will live on through generations of fans.

Cal Wilson had so much more to offer the world. She will be dearly missed. Rest in peace.

Sponsored
The Australian entertainment community is reeling from the devastating news that acclaimed comedian Cal Wilson passed away this week at 53 years old.

Wilson's cause of death was revealed to be an extremely rare and aggressive form of cancer.

According to reports, the Melbourne-based comic privately battled the disease while filming for The Great Australian Bake Off in Sydney.

She was suddenly hospitalised after being treated for severe back pain, likely a symptom of the cancer advancing.

Wilson died surrounded by loved ones at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital days later.

View attachment 31951
Popular stand-up comedian and TV personality Cal Wilson has died at the age of 53. Credit: Facebook/Cal Wilson.

Wilson's management company, Token Artists, announced her passing, stating: 'We are devastated to share the news that Cal Wilson, the much-loved stand-up comedian, writer and actor, died today, surrounded by family and friends after a short illness at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.'

'Cal's generosity, talent and friendship have been constants in the Australian comedy scene for the last twenty years. Cal was loved by her family, friends, fans and peers, and a huge hole has been torn in the heart of our community.'

Originally from New Zealand, Wilson moved to Australia in 2003 and soon became a fixture on the stand-up circuit.

She won Best Newcomer at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and appeared at the event an impressive 14 times over her decorated career.

In addition to stand-up and stage shows, Wilson regularly appeared on beloved Australian TV programs like Have You Been Paying Attention?, Rove Live, Good News Week, Spicks and Specks, The Project, and Hughesy, We Have a Problem.

She also co-hosted The Great Australian Bake Off alongside Natalie Tran, delighting fans with her signature warmth and wit.

Cal Wilson is survived by her husband, Chris Woods, and her 14-year-old son, Digby. In one of her final interviews just months before her passing, she spoke warmly about her teenage son.

During an appearance on Adam Miller's Bakeology podcast, the host asked her what legacy she thought she would leave for Digby. Cal replied warmly, 'I think it will be for pancakes because that's a fairly regular weekend thing.'

'And when you serve the pancakes, you throw them like a frisbee, the first couple, and then if you're going to have maple syrup on them, obviously you don't do that. You always do the test pancake—hurl it across the kitchen.'

She also noted that their gingerbread baking sessions would likely leave a lasting impression on Digby. With a touch of humour, she added, 'We make a lot of gingerbread together. Well, we start making it together, and he goes off with the lump of dough as any good child should.'

Her untimely passing is a devastating loss for her family and the entertainment community, and social media tributes poured in.

'This is so tragic, and my heart goes out to Cal's family,' fellow comedian Rebel Wilson wrote. 'She was amazingly talented and amazingly kind.'

Shaynna Blaze was equally devastated, finding it 'heartbreaking'. She said, 'I can't even comprehend this right now. The most divine, radiant person who I have watched, admired and worked alongside.'

Dylan Alcott, the Australian of the Year, paid tribute to Cal as a 'beautiful person who always had time for everyone'.

Meanwhile, TV host Grant Denyer found the news so shocking that it left him 'shaking'. He expressed his disbelief and sadness, praising Cal as the 'most tender, kind, generous, and talented performer' he had ever worked with.

Key Takeaways

• Beloved stand-up comedian and TV personality Cal Wilson passed away at 53 due to a rare and aggressive form of cancer.
  • The Melbourne-based star was filming The Great Australian Bake Off in Sydney when she had to be taken to hospital, and she had kept her health battle private.
  • Cal Wilson was a well-known figure in the Australian comedy scene for the last twenty years, featuring in numerous TV shows and on the radio, winning the Melbourne Comedy Festival's Best Newcomer Award in 2001.
  • Tributes have poured in from leading Aussie entertainers expressing their disbelief and admiration for Wilson, with many describing her as talented, kind, and a beautiful soul.

While the circumstances of her death are tragic, Cal Wilson leaves behind a legacy as one of Australia's most popular and influential comedians. She brought laughter and joy to audiences for years, and her memory will live on through generations of fans.

Cal Wilson had so much more to offer the world. She will be dearly missed. Rest in peace.

Cal Wilson came across as a really nice person, and her style of comedy for me one of the best. RIP Cal, I hope there are Comedy Shows up in Heaven.

Very saddened by her passing, and at such a relatively young age too. I have always been a fan of hers (even though I haven't seen her much on TV for some time). A very funny lady and she always came across as a very warm and likeable person.
A great loss to the community and commiserations to her family and friends.

View attachment 31951

Key Takeaways

My Son once told me an elderly gentleman had said to him in a conversation they were sharing. "Live your life the way you would like your
Eulogy to be read". This beautiful Lady in her short life, has certainly done that to her Credit. People who have been able to know her and have shared in her private life, as well as her professional one are saying all the wonderful things about her. All of which are true. I would extend my sympathy to in such a loss to everyone , but especially to her Family and Friends. So the old gentleman was right, she has left an image for all of us to try to follow in her footsteps and create,
the eulogy like her's will be. Rest in Peace
Cal Wilson.

My Son once told me an elderly gentleman had said to him in a conversation they were sharing. "Live your life the way you would like your
Eulogy to be read". This beautiful Lady in her short life, has certainly done that to her Credit. People who have been able to know her and have shared in her private life, as well as her professional one are saying all the wonderful things about her. All of which are true. I would extend my sympathy to in such a loss to everyone , but especially to her Family and Friends. So the old gentleman was right, she has left an image for all of us to try to follow in her footsteps and create,
Cal Wilson.
😿

Reactions: Pink lion

View attachment 31951

Key Takeaways

Somewhere in Cyber Space is my response to the untimely death of Cal Wilson. She lived her life, in such a way to endear her Fans, her Friends and most of all her Family in such a special way, that even though she has gone, everyone who saw her proffessionally or as a Friend not to mention her Family have been blessed to have known her.
Her Eulogy with reflect the life she lived, and the special person she was.
Rest in Peace Cal Wilson. The impact you had on everyone will go on in living memory.

Cal Wilson.
She (Rip) to was to me an excellent example of an attractive quick witted, apparently continuously sensible person.

As a comedian Cal Wilson never appeared cruel (hilariously harsh though) and she didn't get seem to get into swearing that much, or at least I never heard her do this, despite very belligerent provocations. Standup is fun, I have done a teeny tiny bit of that one myself.

I suggest that should life feeling like you're living on a deserted island. you get used to it. The castaway movie reminded us of the value of reaffirming one's moment to the buoyancy WILSON! and i feel sad because Cal to me exuded a very rare quality, I sensed her CALIBER.

MZ Wilson offered a wacky fun though ever stable or a buoyant reminder, that one doesn't need spray the bottom nozzle of a sewerage pipe under pressure, in order to express oneself authentically with passion. MZ WILSON showed us we can be as comically cutting as a cut lass but in order to ride the storms of life to keep grinning even though upended by all manner of trouble and strife and because of that and other biomechanical factors (as she was really cute) I had felt both interested and attracted to her (RIP) it's true.

FLAME ON...CAL WILSON I will no doubt remember your pop bang bright sparkled wit, in the pink heat of my fireplace...

Last edited:
She (Rip) to was to me an excellent example of an attractive quick witted, apparently continuously sensible person.

As a comedian Cal Wilson never appeared cruel (hilariously harsh though) and she didn't get seem to get into swearing that much, or at least I never heard her do this, despite very belligerent provocations. Standup is fun, I have done a teeny tiny bit of that one myself.

I suggest that should life feeling like you're living on a deserted island. you get used to it. The castaway movie reminded us of the value of reaffirming one's moment to the buoyancy WILSON! and i feel sad because Cal to me exuded a very rare quality, I sensed her CALIBER.

MZ Wilson offered a wacky fun though ever stable or a buoyant reminder, that one doesn't need spray the bottom nozzle of a sewerage pipe under pressure in order to express themselves authentically with passion. MZ WILSON showed us we can be as comically cutting as a cut lass but in order to ride the storms of life to keep grinning even though upended by all manner of trouble and strife and because of that and other biomechanical factors (as she was really cute) I had felt both interested and attracted to her (RIP) it's true.

FLAME ON...CARL WILSON I will no doubt remember your pop bang bright sparkled wit, in the pink heat of my fireplace...
Auto correct has once again changed my writing and this time changed Cal to Carl .

Once typed however, an article remains unable to be edited as some tech savvy person has connected the edit button to advertise products and services...it's been like this for weeks so if any of my posts have weird spelling etc this is most definitely the reason ok

Reactions: Littleboy8
Auto correct has once again changed my writing and this time changed Cal to Carl .

Once typed however, an article remains unable to be edited as some tech savvy person has connected the edit button to advertise products and services...it's been like this for weeks so if any of my posts have weird spelling etc this is most definitely the reason ok
Join the club it’s so f’n annoying😈l’m sick of “oh a problems occurred”locks you out and you have to keep logging in.thats why I hardly bother anymore.😈is there a bug in there system if so fix it.

Last edited:
Join the club it’s so f’n annoying😈l’m sick of “oh a problems occurred”locks you out and you have to keep logging in.thats why I hardly bother anymore.😈is there a bug in there system if so fix it.
Thanks mate, it is a pain in the proverbial isnt it. like you, Iittleboy8 I am not anal about it, but I am so in the club with you, when it comes to pointing out stuff that is not behaving in an expected way when it quite potentially could detrimentally affect us, or someone else and whatever it is just doesn't appear noticed as something to worry about.

I have reported the glitch twice about a week or more back, however I received no further update, and definitely the issue remains.

Until your post, I had figured that maybe it was just my laptop mucking up, however no other internet sites make unexpected changes to what happens when I am typing on my keypad, but here on/in our site. I had felt that a technician was coming in after my notifications, but as the anomaly remains, we don't know what else it could be doing inside us when we connect.

This diversion to another internet site (we could be logically diverted anywhere as a big school of PHISH) only happens on/in our site and I feel it is so important that I share a larger picture without saying it

Like seeing smoke on the ridge.... Ridgy Didge when others especially share the problems mate, Littleboy8 I got to get up and say or do something, as incidents and accident (as in really bad ones) happen when something unnoticed or ignored, needs fixing.

This was a longwinded "attention to the issue please" grabber, so let's hope it is both appreciated and acted upon soon hey.

Thanks mate, it is a pain in the proverbial isnt it. like you, Iittleboy8 I am not anal about it, but I am so in the club with you, when it comes to pointing out stuff that is not behaving in an expected way when it quite potentially could detrimentally affect us, or someone else and whatever it is just doesn't appear noticed as something to worry about.

I have reported the glitch twice about a week or more back, however I received no further update, and definitely the issue remains.

Until your post, I had figured that maybe it was just my laptop mucking up, however no other internet sites make unexpected changes to what happens when I am typing on my keypad, but here on/in our site. I had felt that a technician was coming in after my notifications, but as the anomaly remains, we don't know what else it could be doing inside us when we connect.

This diversion to another internet site (we could be logically diverted anywhere as a big school of PHISH) only happens on/in our site and I feel it is so important that I share a larger picture without saying it

Like seeing smoke on the ridge.... Ridgy Didge when others especially share the problems mate, Littleboy8 I got to get up and say or do something, as incidents and accident (as in really bad ones) happen when something unnoticed or ignored, needs fixing.

This was a longwinded "attention to the issue please" grabber, so let's hope it is both appreciated and acted upon soon hey.
I thought it was only me so it’s obviously there sites problem🙀and those stupid sex things coming up are also annoying.🙀

I thought it was only me so it’s obviously there sites problem🙀and those stupid sex things coming up are also annoying.🙀
I agree I didn't mind feeling like a rockstar for a month or so and just dismissively ignoring the constant emails at my door....
but getting slightly rude crude and ridiculous, the stuff I received there for a while.

It was not until I wrote as an extremely bawdy Australian larrikin descriptive expressing, "please go away (NFP)"did they eventually go away.
That was about three weeks back.

Every PHISHER person remember wants you to CLICKBAIT and compromise your computer.