Beloved children's author Shirley Barber passes away at 88

The world of children's literature has lost one of its brightest stars. Shirley Barber, the renowned Australian author and illustrator, passed away peacefully in her sleep on Tuesday, 12 December. She was 88.

Known for her enchanting fairy tales and the beloved character Martha B. Rabbit, Barber's legacy will continue to inspire young readers for generations to come.

Born into a family of artists, Barber's talent for storytelling and illustration was evident from a young age.

Barber was born in the Channel Islands, which are British Overseas territories. She moved to Watsonia, North Melbourne, with her family in 1965, where she continued to create her magical worlds.

299644.jpg
Children’s author and illustrator Shirley Barber passed away in her sleep at 88. Credit: Goodreads

Despite never receiving formal art training, her vivid imagination and innate artistic ability led her to create 30 original books, which were some of the most cherished children's books of our time.

Her publisher, Brolly Books, announced her passing on Tuesday morning, leaving millions of fans worldwide to mourn the loss of this literary icon.

'In each of Shirley's children's books, there are gentle messages of kindness, caring, friendship, and peace, never overstated but simply conveyed by the characters in her stories and their actions,' Brolly Books said in a statement.

Her books, including the popular titles Rainbow Magic and A Visit to Fairyland, have sold more than 10 million copies worldwide, a testament to her universal appeal.

Her first book, Martha B. Rabbit: The Fairies’ Cook, was published in the 1980s, a story she had written in her childhood. This charming tale of a rabbit living in a magical world set the tone for Barber's future works, often featuring whimsical creatures and enchanting landscapes.

In a 2008 interview with The Age, Barber revealed her lifelong belief in fairies and the importance of imagination in children's lives.

'I think some people perceive energies which they actually see as fairies and elves,' she said.

'(When I was a child) I saw fairies go by my window.'

'I didn't go off to sleep easily and I thought I saw in the twilight this flight of fairies.'

Brolly Books expressed their sorrow at Barber's passing, stating, 'Shirley brought great joy to millions around the globe with her gentle stories and magnificent artwork, unmatched in our view in the level of detail, beauty, and skilled execution.

‘It has been a great honour to work with Shirley and to bear witness to her genius.

‘May she rest in peace.'
Key Takeaways
  • Beloved children's author and illustrator Shirley Barber, known best for her fairy picture books, passed away in her sleep at age 88.
  • Barber had no formal art training but captivated children around the world with her fantasy-based picture books, selling over 10 million products globally.
  • Emerging from a family of artists, she wrote and illustrated over 30 original books in her lifetime, with her first book, Martha B. Rabbit: the Fairies’ Cook, published in the 1980s.
  • Barber moved to North Melbourne in 1965 and openly expressed her belief in fairies, stating they provided an important escape for children.
As we remember Shirley Barber, let's also celebrate the joy and wonder she brought to millions of children worldwide. Her stories will continue to inspire, entertain, and educate future generations, ensuring her legacy lives on.

Do you have a favourite Shirley Barber book or memory? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Never heard of her
The world of children's literature has lost one of its brightest stars. Shirley Barber, the renowned Australian author and illustrator, passed away peacefully in her sleep on Tuesday, 12 December. She was 88.

Known for her enchanting fairy tales and the beloved character Martha B. Rabbit, Barber's legacy will continue to inspire young readers for generations to come.

Born into a family of artists, Barber's talent for storytelling and illustration was evident from a young age.

Barber was born in the Channel Islands, which are British Overseas territories. She moved to Watsonia, North Melbourne, with her family in 1965, where she continued to create her magical worlds.

View attachment 37440
Children’s author and illustrator Shirley Barber passed away in her sleep at 88. Credit: Goodreads

Despite never receiving formal art training, her vivid imagination and innate artistic ability led her to create 30 original books, which were some of the most cherished children's books of our time.

Her publisher, Brolly Books, announced her passing on Tuesday morning, leaving millions of fans worldwide to mourn the loss of this literary icon.

'In each of Shirley's children's books, there are gentle messages of kindness, caring, friendship, and peace, never overstated but simply conveyed by the characters in her stories and their actions,' Brolly Books said in a statement.

Her books, including the popular titles Rainbow Magic and A Visit to Fairyland, have sold more than 10 million copies worldwide, a testament to her universal appeal.

Her first book, Martha B. Rabbit: The Fairies’ Cook, was published in the 1980s, a story she had written in her childhood. This charming tale of a rabbit living in a magical world set the tone for Barber's future works, often featuring whimsical creatures and enchanting landscapes.

In a 2008 interview with The Age, Barber revealed her lifelong belief in fairies and the importance of imagination in children's lives.

'I think some people perceive energies which they actually see as fairies and elves,' she said.

'I didn't go off to sleep easily and I thought I saw in the twilight this flight of fairies.'

Brolly Books expressed their sorrow at Barber's passing, stating, 'Shirley brought great joy to millions around the globe with her gentle stories and magnificent artwork, unmatched in our view in the level of detail, beauty, and skilled execution.

‘It has been a great honour to work with Shirley and to bear witness to her genius.

‘May she rest in peace.'
Key Takeaways

• Beloved children's author and illustrator Shirley Barber, known best for her fairy picture books, passed away in her sleep at age 88.
  • Barber had no formal art training but captivated children around the world with her fantasy-based picture books, selling over 10 million products globally.
  • Emerging from a family of artists, she wrote and illustrated over 30 original books in her lifetime, with her first book, Martha B. Rabbit: the Fairies’ Cook, published in the 1980s.
  • Barber moved to North Melbourne in 1965 and openly expressed her belief in fairies, stating they provided an important escape for children.
As we remember Shirley Barber, let's also celebrate the joy and wonder she brought to millions of children worldwide. Her stories will continue to inspire, entertain, and educate future generations, ensuring her legacy lives on.

Do you have a favourite Shirley Barber book or memory? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ashmenou

View attachment 37440

‘May she rest in peace.'
Key Takeaways

I read her books to my daughter's when they were little and we loved all her stories. She will be greatly missed her books will be loved for years to come. My sincere condolences to her family. 😢😢💔

View attachment 37440

‘May she rest in peace.'
Key Takeaways

I bought Shirley Barber books when my son was a baby and I use to read them to him every night when he was older and the books were magical. I still have them somewhere and maybe one day when he finds a nice girl and gets married and has children I can read them to my grandkids. Shirley Barber's books were magical and not to sound weird I too believe in fairies I guess once you believe it is hard not to. Rest in Peace with the fairies who will be waiting for you.

I read Marthas books to my children, there are some lovely lessons to be learnt in reading her books.
Sorry to hear of her passing.

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 37440

‘May she rest in peace.'
Key Takeaways

NEVER heard of her

I had not heard of her either. Sounds a bit like Enid Blyton and the Magic of the Faraway Tree - I loved reading these books to the kiddos. Yes RIP Shirley Barber.

Reactions: DLHM