Beloved Actor Dick Van Dyke Celebrates 97th Birthday

It's impossible not to love Dick Van Dyke. The Hollywood legend is loved all over the world for his jovial character, enduring spirit and timeless performance in shows and films like The Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Poppins, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

On Tuesday, December 13, he turned 97 years old — a milestone event that surely carries special memories in the hearts of many fans — both young and old.

Just days prior to his birthday, Van Dyke jokingly said: ‘If I’d known I was going to live this long I’d have taken better care of myself!’

But what would be a great 97th birthday celebration for someone like him? Well, ‘just hiding out’, apparently!

The veteran actor said there really wasn’t anything remarkable lined up for him on his special day.

Screenshot_3.png
Van Dyke was spotted earlier this year heading to a local labour centre to hand out cash to those in need. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/Entertainment Tonight

Van Dyke, spotted casually strolling the streets of Hollywood, also had a funny response when asked his secret to a long and healthy life.

‘Well, I don’t know, all my friends are dead so I’m not going to complain!’

On a more serious note, one clue to his longevity is his active lifestyle.

Despite being only three years away from his centennial, it’s reported that Van Dyke is a common sight around Hollywood driving his silver Lexus while running errands.

In 2021, he revealed that he still maintains his physique with an impressive workout routine and said: ‘I’m looking forward to a hundred (years of age). George Burns made it, and I’m making it too.’

Outside of exercise, Van Dyke is also active in society.

Last October he was seen handing out money to job seekers and homeless people in Malibu to help out the Malibu Community Labour Exchange, said to be his favourite charity.

Van Dyke has been married to former make-up artist Arlene Silver — who is younger than him by four decades — since 2012.

Screenshot_8.png
Van Dyke played a doting father in The Dick Van Dyke Show. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/FilmRise Television

Prior to his current relationship, he was with Margerie Willet for 36 years, having married in 1948 and divorced in 1984.

In his memoir, Van Dyke admitted that he and Willet had lost the spark long before they officially cut matrimonial ties.

He said he was ‘writhing in guilt’ over his affair with Michelle Triola, his agent’s secretary, who he confided in because of his marital woes.

Willet died in 2008 of pancreatic cancer. Triola died a year later after a bout with lung cancer.

Meanwhile in terms of his career, Van Dyke is only one Oscar Award away from EGOT status.

EGOT, formed from the first letters of the Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony awards, is an elite accolade only a distinguished few in Hollywood have achieved.

When asked last year if he still considers himself an active actor, he responded in the affirmative.

Screenshot_10.png
Van Dyke said in a 2021 interview that he had no plans of retiring from acting. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/American Film Institute

‘Oh sure!’ he said.

‘I like to perform, but I didn’t know how much until this year. I’d do anything on the stage right now.’

That’s the spirit, Dick! What a legend!
Key Takeaways

• Dick Van Dyke is 97, and he is still up and about.
  • He has worked in television and movies for seven decades, and is one Oscar away from EGOT status.
  • He has also indicated in previews interviews he has no plans of retiring from acting.
So, what is your reaction to this news? Do you have any well wishes for Van Dyke?

Share your thoughts and messages below!

Source: YouTube/Access Hollywood

Sponsored
It's impossible not to love Dick Van Dyke. The Hollywood legend is loved all over the world for his jovial character, enduring spirit and timeless performance in shows and films like The Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Poppins, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

On Tuesday, December 13, he turned 97 years old — a milestone event that surely carries special memories in the hearts of many fans — both young and old.

Just days prior to his birthday, Van Dyke jokingly said: ‘If I’d known I was going to live this long I’d have taken better care of myself!’

But what would be a great 97th birthday celebration for someone like him? Well, ‘just hiding out’, apparently!

The veteran actor said there really wasn’t anything remarkable lined up for him on his special day.

View attachment 10467
Van Dyke was spotted earlier this year heading to a local labour centre to hand out cash to those in need. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/Entertainment Tonight

Van Dyke, spotted casually strolling the streets of Hollywood, also had a funny response when asked his secret to a long and healthy life.

Despite being only three years away from his centennial, it’s reported that Van Dyke is a common sight around Hollywood driving his silver Lexus while running errands.

In 2021, he revealed that he still maintains his physique with an impressive workout routine and said: ‘I’m looking forward to a hundred (years of age). George Burns made it, and I’m making it too.’

Last October he was seen handing out money to job seekers and homeless people in Malibu to help out the Malibu Community Labour Exchange, said to be his favourite charity.

Van Dyke has been married to former make-up artist Arlene Silver — who is younger than him by four decades — since 2012.

View attachment 10468
Van Dyke played a doting father in The Dick Van Dyke Show. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/FilmRise Television

Prior to his current relationship, he was with Margerie Willet for 36 years, having married in 1948 and divorced in 1984.

In his memoir, Van Dyke admitted that he and Willet had lost the spark long before they officially cut matrimonial ties.

He said he was ‘writhing in guilt’ over his affair with Michelle Triola, his agent’s secretary, who he confided in because of his marital woes.

Willet died in 2008 of pancreatic cancer. Triola died a year later after a bout with lung cancer.

Meanwhile in terms of his career, Van Dyke is only one Oscar Award away from EGOT status.

EGOT, formed from the first letters of the Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony awards, is an elite accolade only a distinguished few in Hollywood have achieved.

When asked last year if he still considers himself an active actor, he responded in the affirmative.

View attachment 10469
Van Dyke said in a 2021 interview that he had no plans of retiring from acting. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/American Film Institute

‘Oh sure!’ he said.

‘I like to perform, but I didn’t know how much until this year. I’d do anything on the stage right now.’

Key Takeaways

• He has worked in television and movies for seven decades, and is one Oscar away from EGOT status.
  • He has also indicated in previews interviews he has no plans of retiring from acting.
So, what is your reaction to this news? Do you have any well wishes for Van Dyke?

Certainly! A very HAPPY 97th BIRTHDAY Dick! And many more. I hope you make it to 100! Dick has been responsible for many happy memories as the fun-loving Bert in Marry Poppins, and the Elder Mr Dawes from the bank where Mr Banks worked. What an entertainer Dick is. He is one of the few ‘wholesome’ actors, with never a hint of a scandal, a rarity among entertainers. Well done on your healthy lifestyle.

View attachment 10467

View attachment 10468

View attachment 10469

‘Oh sure!’ he said.

Key Takeaways

View attachment 10467

View attachment 10468

View attachment 10469

‘Oh sure!’ he said.

Key Takeaways

Lovely man! Given me lots of fun and laughter over the years. Looking good!

Reactions: Jersey Girl and RTS
Well done Dick Van Dyke, happy 97th birthday! I especially loved him in Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and also in later years, the series Diagnosis Murder.

Reactions: Jersey Girl