Before and after: Home renovator saves $4,500 by transforming $99 Kmart cabinets into a stunning sideboard

The cabinets in your home will serve as a design focal point for the entire room, so it's crucial for interior design fans to take the time to find the right ones.

People may tell you that expensive 'high-end' cabinets are an investment and are worth shelling out hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars. But that's not exactly true!

Cabinets come in lots of different colours, styles, and materials. You can even try building them from scratch or having them custom-made.

This way, it also adds a bit of a personal touch, don't you think?

oSd-0BIWyW9l88N4zC-gPxxJWLDyvQZdIdFossOwZTv6_Gdbm4w8Cy_oPtv5uKmXmMMshWRe1MJfTRxXyMaRUwvWYC9kf8dzMPYYBHLIyq7YSbanwyJvcGM1xLPAvhETsYKsuNzFEDB7kAWHmoC9QKU

An Australian woman turned Kmart cabinets into a sideboard after being quoted $4,500 for one. Credit: Kmart/Facebook.

Such is the case with this one woman from New South Wales, who shockingly received a quote of $4,500 for a new custom sideboard for her kitchen.

Deciding there was no way she would shell out that much for a piece of new furniture, she put her crafting skills to the test and decided to build it herself instead!

So off to Kmart she went.

Posting on the popular Facebook group Kmart Home Decor and Hacks, she said instead of one long kitchen cabinet, she opted for three of Kmart's $99 Slatted Storage Cabinets.

She gave them a fresh coat of paint in a dark green to make them go with the rest of her kitchen's decor. On the other hand, the legs were given a coppery hue to provide contrast with the rest of the piece.

She also opted for new handles and swapped them out for Kmart's $9.50 half-moon handles that come in a golden colour.

The mum said the whole thing cost her $450, which is way cheaper than the initial quote of $4,500. Not bad!

Gdjp13G-E0k55KrykFia_EqtikZgh6EBgmE8fIXXZwYR8ZkMZFZlP1hUM6FrleAX6tssRMjspo9Wa8q6svESJ2Uf56HFWPyLqxM0a-9XPz5boQsAJgfxG-wZj5ny3ns9rDuWcmbLhObJkKIUcpAVi8I

The mum's kitchen is painted in 'Liquorice Green'. Credit: Facebook.

The mum revealed that her new sideboard is a vibrant shade of green she calls 'Liquorice Green', for the benefit of any curious onlookers.

Also, if you're interested in turning the Kmart cabinets into a sideboard as well, she shared some helpful hints in her post, too!

'A hint if you are going to paint them. Undercoat with a shellac paint. Also, DEFINITELY paint the doors before you assemble. It will save you a world of pain,' said the mum.

People were so amazed by the woman's DIY skills and good taste in decor that her post received thousands of likes and hundreds of comments in just a matter of days since posting.

'You have done a fabulous job, and the cabinets look amazing. I really love the colour scheme,' one person wrote in the comments, while a second one added: 'In a world of white, this deep colour gives a welcome feel of depth, comfort and earthiness.'

'Originally, I was going to do a white kitchen, but then I found this colour and became obsessed. Everyone said don't do it, but I'm glad I stuck to my guns,' the woman replied.

When it comes to designing the interior of homes, it would appear that white minimalist living spaces are on their way out.

What about you, members, how do you feel about a kitchen decorated in earthy shades of green and brown? Have any interest in trying it out? Tell us what you think in the comments!

Sponsored
Love it, love it, so great an idea, especially for a good sized kitchen, you have the scope to go dark. I still love my 2000’s kitchen, which was a supercheap budget Reno at the time, very small space to work with, if I had the space I would do a deep, deep teal that would look stunning, coordinate well with soft silver hardware and stainless appliances. Would love to know more about your stove hood? Looks interesting!

Absolutely love this kitchen.
I always still go for the white cupboards though, as No 1 I like to renovate and No 2 I get bored quickly so find the classic white kitchen and bathroom more practical as I can change things up cheaply and as often as I like by just changing accessories.
None the less, still adore the lovely deep green kitchen.

Reactions: Ricci
My daughter is about to move into her 1st house which they gave been renting out for the last few years.
She is doing something similar , she found a paint at bunnings that you only need to give one coat. I will share when she has completed it.

I

Reactions: Ricci and Val
I just love the paint colour, and what she did with the Kmart cupboards is fantastic, that is so clever. Very smart lady, congratulations.

Reactions: Cagey and Ricci
Wow, that’s an incredible transformation. Tbh, I really admire seeing how people make their interior look better with their hands. I wish I was so handy too. I like the color. It was a really nice choice. I’d also add a special house sign. I’d choose among these ones https://baliandboo.com/collections/house-signs. They are lovely. Actually, a house sign is the first thing everyone pays attention to while going across your house. Anyway, keep us updated on more such great transformations. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci