Beaurepaires to shut down 100 Stores as iconic tyre giant's fate hangs by thread

A staple of the Australian automotive scene, Beaurepaires has been the go-to for tyre services for Australians since its founding in 1922.

With a heritage spanning a century, it has built a reputation as a trusted retailer of quality tyres and auto services.

However, as much as we cherish historic brands and rely on their services, the future can often take a turn for the unpredictable.

Beaurepaires is set to close 100 stores and lay off 700 workers according to reports, casting a shadow of uncertainty over the future of the iconic brand.

This drastic move comes after failed negotiations to sell the company to a rival, leaving the fate of the remaining stores and employees hanging in the balance.

o.jpg
The future of Beaurepaires has been in doubt as the tyre retailer is set to close stores and lay off some of its workers. Image: Yelp

Founded by former Australian Olympic swimmer and later politician, Sir Frank Beaurepaire, Beaurepaires has been a household name.

The company, now owned by Goodyear Dunlop Tyres Australia, a subsidiary of the US-based Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, has been a stalwart in the Australian tyre industry.

However, the company's future is in doubt as it transitions towards a 'third-party distribution and retail sales model instead of a company-owned approach'.

This shift will see the company exiting nine warehouse locations and selling or leaving about 100 retail and fleet stores.

The overhaul is expected to cost Goodyear Tire and Rubber between AU$84-99 million, but is projected to increase yearly income in Australia and New Zealand by AU$76-84 million.

According to an insider, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company was in talks to sell Beaurepaires to rival tyre retailer, Bob Jane Corporation.

However, the deal collapsed when Bob Jane Corporation decided to only purchase 'the select few that actually make money'.

The insider also claimed that all remaining Beaurepaires stores would be closed by April, a claim disputed by Lauren Voucatos, the Human Resources Transformation and Communications Lead for Goodyear Dunlop Tyres Australia.

Voucatos stated that while the company had 'begun to evaluate different scenarios for different parts of our business', no final decisions had been made.

‘The proposed plan remains subject to consultation with employee representatives,’ according to an announcement made by Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company to the US Stock Market.

The closure of Beaurepaires stores and the shift to a third-party model will undoubtedly have a significant impact on the Australian tyre industry.

As part of this transition, exclusive distribution rights of both Goodyear and Dunlop tyres will be sold to Australian wholesalers Tyremax and National Tyre and Wheel, respectively.

Tyremax has announced plans to start distribution by April, leaving the future of factories owned by Goodyear Dunlop Tyres Australia uncertain.

The fate of these factories and their employees 'hasn’t been determined' by the company yet, according to Voucatos.

This leaves hundreds of workers in a state of limbo, unsure of their future employment status.

The Beaurepaires saga is a stark reminder of the volatile nature of the retail industry.

It underscores the importance of adaptability and innovation in an ever-changing market landscape.

As the Australian tyre industry grapples with this significant shift, one can only hope that the workers affected by these closures will find new opportunities in this time of change.

Key Takeaways
  • Beaurepaires, Australia's oldest and largest tyre retailer, is set to close 100 stores and lay off 700 workers.
  • The planned sale of Beaurepaires to rival Bob Jane Corporation fell through, leading to uncertainty about the company's future.
  • The closures are part of a transition towards a third-party distribution and retail sales model by Goodyear Dunlop Tyres Australia.
  • The company is in consultation regarding the proposed plan, with the future of its factories and remaining employees not yet determined.

What are your thoughts on the closure of Beaurepaires stores? Have you been affected by these changes? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
We are living in a World of Billionaries, that have been forcibly closing down Small Family owned Companies by any means ,reducing all competition you can only buy their Products

Surprise surprise. The economic damage albersleaze and his clown circus is doing to Australia is beyond belief. We desperately need the events on 11 Nov 1975 to be repeated ASAP.

They should have spent more money on marketing and publicity.

This is the first time I've ever heard of them. I had to look up tyre places in December and their name never came up at all amongst all the well known companies that sell tyres.

Reactions: Greg350
Or, how about just poor business practices? All the Beaurepaires outlets around my areas are very poorly managed by dropkicks, bad service and attitude. Bob Jane T Mart I have found to be excellent service, pricing, service including emails at intervals to remind for tyre rotation with free alignment, notified when a check on tyres due. Very professional by comparison. Sometimes businesses just don't do it well enough and therefore people go where they do it better! Just because you have a business does not mean you are entitled to succeed.

Or, how about just poor business practices? All the Beaurepaires outlets around my areas are very poorly managed by dropkicks, bad service and attitude. Bob Jane T Mart I have found to be excellent service, pricing, service including emails at intervals to remind for tyre rotation with free alignment, notified when a check on tyres due. Very professional by comparison. Sometimes businesses just don't do it well enough and therefore people go where they do it better! Just because you have a business does not mean you are entitled to succeed.
My town has a Tyrepower and Beaurepaires next to each other, I have regularly commented to my wife how quiet it always is in Beaurepaires and how busy Tyrepower is. Literally zero vehicles sitting in B while T has all bays filled and plenty of parked cars. The problem with B is range of brands and pricing.

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal and Knell
Surprise surprise. The economic damage albersleaze and his clown circus is doing to Australia is beyond belief. We desperately need the events on 11 Nov 1975 to be repeated ASAP.
Yeah it's the current government, hahaha. Do you think this has just happened recently, Beaurepaires have been going downhill for years.

Do you understand the difference between discretionary items and staple items? Tyres would be staple items in today's world, independent tyre retailers are doing well, extremely well, Beaurepaires is a Goodyear/Dunlop company and so only sell a limited range of tyre brands and have woeful marketing. It's not the governments fault a business can't operate successfully, especially a business in the tyre industry where people always need to buy tyres for their cars.

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal
The one in our town used to be in a great position, but now our main highway has been shifted we don't get travellers going the old highway, only locals, so I don't think travellers would even know we have a Beaurepaires. A shame as it's been around for as long as I can remember. We have others on our main highway now & a couple newer one snear our main Shopping Centre.

There is nothing as inevitable as change... it would take a strong CEO to pull a lot of businesses out of the past and prepare them for the future....

Reactions: Ezzy
They should have spent more money on marketing and publicity.

This is the first time I've ever heard of them. I had to look up tyre places in December and their name never came up at all amongst all the well known companies that sell tyres.
I remember very well the advertising for Beaurepaires. The character used to introduce himself as Beau from Beaurepaires.

Please correct me if l am wrong but, didn't he get his big start by screwing his father; a saga that went on for years in the Courts? Sort of leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Spoken like a true liebour sycophant with the ROM firmly implanted.
Labor won office in May 2022, who was in government before this Einstein? Liberal. This problem with Beaurepaires has been ongoing for years, well before the current government.

The moronic comments on here astound me, blaming a particular political party for a business failing is ridiculous, particularly when other identical businesses are thriving. Just shows the low level of intelligence out there.

Labor won office in May 2022, who was in government before this Einstein? Liberal. This problem with Beaurepaires has been ongoing for years, well before the current government.

The moronic comments on here astound me, blaming a particular political party for a business failing is ridiculous, particularly when other identical businesses are thriving. Just shows the low level of intelligence out there.
Most likely rigged!!!

Well well, my assessment has admirably proven absolutely correct. liebour lied their way into office and only got there on preferential voting from independents Einstein. Many businesses have suffered at the hands of the albersleaze circus as they go about their quest to send the country broke. The absurd response to my post is not at all surprising considering it reads like it came straight from liebour head office. The moronic posts that come from liebour sycophants is beyond belief.