Beatles legend Sir Paul McCartney's spontaneous stopover at fan-created mural celebrating his music

From the dizzying heights of Beatlemania in the ‘60s to a successful solo career for decades, Sir Paul McCartney undoubtedly deserves a spot in the music icon Hall of Fame – and a special mural in Newcastle can attest to that.

The Beatles legend made a surprise visit to the coastal city recently, where he encountered the mural commissioned by Venues NSW and painted by local street artist Mitch Revs.

The mural, which takes inspiration from several of McCartney’s musical numbers over his road to stardom, certainly caught the eye of the British musician, who praised Revs’ work as 'beautiful' and that he’s done ‘great work’.

McCartney was so impressed that he even gave the artwork a personal touch.

‘Let’s see what we can do, I’ve never done this before,’ McCartney jokingly said.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 10.18.19 AM.png
McCartney posed with Revs behind the mural dedicated to his songs. Credit: news.com.au

Revs replied, ‘I’ve seen your artwork’.

‘New career man, let’s go,’ McCartney said.

McCartney painted two smiley faces plus his initials on the mural – one drawn in the middle of the mural’s iconic ‘Yellow Submarine’.

‘Cheers, man,’ McCartney said as he returned the paint to Revs before posing for a photo together.

'I did this, all my own work,’ McCartney cheekily said while posing for a photo with a thumbs up.

‘Taking all the credit, I love it,' Mitch Revs replied, grinning, after taking a photo of the Fab Four legend.

'So I never thought that I’d be sitting in an alleyway on a Tuesday waiting for Paul McCartney,' Revs posted to social media afterwards, saying that it was an unexpected experience.

The street artist also discussed the potential impact the mural could have on Newcastle.

'I hope this mural says that there's a lot of opportunity for people in Newcastle to think bigger,' he said.

'For me personally, this is the biggest mural I've painted, and I think Newcastle is now pushing forward to be one of those capital cities that's offering more to everyone that comes here,’ he added.

And while this is definitely a special moment for Newcastle residents, it turns out McCartney has done painting before, unveiling a book of his own paintings in 1999.

'I've been interested in painting since I was in grammar school a long time ago, and then after The Beatles, I sort of started buying paintings in the '60s, so I've been interested that way,' McCartney said back then.

'I'm not trying to claim to be the greatest painter in the world, but I think I'm not bad,' he modestly admitted. 'I'm not really fussed what people think, I'm really not, because I'm not doing it for a living, this is not an exam, this is what I do for pleasure, and if anyone's interested, then take a look at it.'

‘But I don’t care if you don’t like it because I’m only trying to impress myself,’ he added.

One of the paintings in his collection included that of the Queen, which he painted from a picture in a magazine.

‘It’s affectionate, it’s not a portrait of the Queen, she didn’t sit for it, but it’s a bit of fun,’ he said.

McCartney is set to finish his ‘Got Back’ tour in Australia on 4 November, so you can still see him perform in Sydney, Brisbane, and Gold Coast! Read more about his tour here.

Key Takeaways

• Sir Paul McCartney visited a mural in Newcastle dedicated to his work during his ‘Got Back’ tour in Australia.
  • McCartney added his personal touch to the mural by painting two smiley faces and his initials.
  • The mural was painted by Mitch Revs and commissioned by Venues NSW, showcasing references to McCartney's songs.
  • Paul McCartney is no stranger to the art scene, having previously published a book of his own paintings in 1999.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
From the dizzying heights of Beatlemania in the ‘60s to a successful solo career for decades, Sir Paul McCartney undoubtedly deserves a spot in the music icon Hall of Fame – and a special mural in Newcastle can attest to that.

The Beatles legend made a surprise visit to the coastal city recently, where he encountered the mural commissioned by Venues NSW and painted by local street artist Mitch Revs.

The mural, which takes inspiration from several of McCartney’s musical numbers over his road to stardom, certainly caught the eye of the British musician, who praised Revs’ work as 'beautiful' and that he’s done ‘great work’.

McCartney was so impressed that he even gave the artwork a personal touch.

‘Let’s see what we can do, I’ve never done this before,’ McCartney jokingly said.

View attachment 33105
McCartney posed with Revs behind the mural dedicated to his songs. Credit: news.com.au

Revs replied, ‘I’ve seen your artwork’.

‘New career man, let’s go,’ McCartney said.

McCartney painted two smiley faces plus his initials on the mural – one drawn in the middle of the mural’s iconic ‘Yellow Submarine’.

‘Cheers, man,’ McCartney said as he returned the paint to Revs before posing for a photo together.

'I did this, all my own work,’ McCartney cheekily said while posing for a photo with a thumbs up.

‘Taking all the credit, I love it,' Mitch Revs replied, grinning, after taking a photo of the Fab Four legend.

'So I never thought that I’d be sitting in an alleyway on a Tuesday waiting for Paul McCartney,' Revs posted to social media afterwards, saying that it was an unexpected experience.

The street artist also discussed the potential impact the mural could have on Newcastle.

'I hope this mural says that there's a lot of opportunity for people in Newcastle to think bigger,' he said.

'For me personally, this is the biggest mural I've painted, and I think Newcastle is now pushing forward to be one of those capital cities that's offering more to everyone that comes here,’ he added.

And while this is definitely a special moment for Newcastle residents, it turns out McCartney has done painting before, unveiling a book of his own paintings in 1999.

'I've been interested in painting since I was in grammar school a long time ago, and then after The Beatles, I sort of started buying paintings in the '60s, so I've been interested that way,' McCartney said back then.

'I'm not trying to claim to be the greatest painter in the world, but I think I'm not bad,' he modestly admitted. 'I'm not really fussed what people think, I'm really not, because I'm not doing it for a living, this is not an exam, this is what I do for pleasure, and if anyone's interested, then take a look at it.'

‘But I don’t care if you don’t like it because I’m only trying to impress myself,’ he added.

One of the paintings in his collection included that of the Queen, which he painted from a picture in a magazine.

‘It’s affectionate, it’s not a portrait of the Queen, she didn’t sit for it, but it’s a bit of fun,’ he said.

McCartney is set to finish his ‘Got Back’ tour in Australia on 4 November, so you can still see him perform in Sydney, Brisbane, and Gold Coast! Read more about his tour here.

Key Takeaways

• Sir Paul McCartney visited a mural in Newcastle dedicated to his work during his ‘Got Back’ tour in Australia.
  • McCartney added his personal touch to the mural by painting two smiley faces and his initials.
  • The mural was painted by Mitch Revs and commissioned by Venues NSW, showcasing references to McCartney's songs.
  • Paul McCartney is no stranger to the art scene, having previously published a book of his own paintings in 1999.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!
I've heard nothing but praise for Sir Paul. So looking forward to finally seeing him perform on 4th November.

We are Liverpudlians. Not that fussed about Paul McCartney. Better artists came out of our city. Jerry Marsden for one. Some of the stories about Paul McCartney are not flattering.

I have always liked Paul, he was my favourite beatle, the best looking one by far, and always seemed to be more fan friendly than the others. Saying that I have no desire to see his concert now as due to his age I don’t believe it will be worth the cost of the tickets. I live near Newcastle and never knew about this mural until today, maybe I will get my daughter to take me to see it.

I have always liked Paul, he was my favourite beatle, the best looking one by far, and always seemed to be more fan friendly than the others. Saying that I have no desire to see his concert now as due to his age I don’t believe it will be worth the cost of the tickets. I live near Newcastle and never knew about this mural until today, maybe I will get my daughter to take me to see it.
You should have gone, it was WELL worth the price of the ticket. My friend and I from back in that era, and my two daughters went, and we all came away havine absolutely loved the show. His voice has matured, and he missed a couple of little bits, but the man is amazing - he stayed on stage singing for 3 hours, his only respite was sitting a the piano for a couple of songs. I am so glad I went.