Beachgoers are shocked by the trend taking over Aussie shores

Now that the holidays are drawing closer to an end, most Aussies have had their fill of time at the beach.

And if you've treated yourself to a beach trip before heading back to reality, you may have noticed a somewhat strange, maybe even majestic, sight: colourful beach cabanas dotting the shoreline.

Yes, the tents you usually see in places such as Spain have made their way Down Under too, particularly in places such as the Gold Coast, Queensland and Perth, Western Australia. Some even mentioned seeing them on beaches in Sydney, Newcastle, and Noosa.

It's a trend that has been gradually making its way to beach shores across the country, and Aussies are a bit taken aback by it.

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 9.32.10 AM.png
Beach cabanas are taking over Aussie shores this summer season. Credit: TikTok/viralqueenliv.

TikTokers have filmed the colourful tents on the sand, going so far as to call them 'prime real estate'. And those on social media are divided on the issue, like the original video poster, who is seemingly not the biggest fan of the trend.

But thankfully, many have seen the brighter side of it, as the trend has been helping beachgoers protect themselves from the sun.

'I don't get it – people aren't taking up more space than they normally would. They just have shade,' one person commented on a post, with another adding: 'I think they're great – they don't block the view like the old tents.'

'I think it's cool that people are being conscious about the sun,' said a third.

Australians have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world, says the Cancer Council.

Each year, more than 11,500 Australian men and women receive melanoma (a type of skin cancer that usually occurs after being overexposed to the sun) diagnoses, while an estimated 434,000 individuals receive treatment for one or more non-melanoma skin malignancies.

The good news is that skin cancer is entirely preventable, so any steps we can take to lower our risk are always appreciated!

So we applaud anyone who has taken the initiative to be 'sun-smart' and make use of alternatives such as the beach cabanas or making sure to wear sunscreen and protective clothing if a cabana isn't available.
Key Takeaways

• Beach cabanas have become a new trend in Australia, with beaches in places such as the Gold Coast and Perth being filled with them
  • The use of beach cabanas is a positive step for sun safety, as they provide shade and protection from the harmful rays
  • Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer diagnoses in the world, and it is important to take precautions when spending time in the sun, such as using sunscreen, wearing protective clothing, hats and sunglasses, and seeking out a spot in the shade.
Sun Safety Strategies for Australians

When it comes to sun protection at the beach, make sure you know the best practices to keep yourself safe.

The Cancer Council recommends following the '5S Method', which are:
  1. Slip on some sun-protective clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
  2. Slop on a broad-spectrum, water-resistant SPF30 (or higher) sunscreen. Put it on 20 minutes before you go outdoors and every two hours afterwards. Sunscreen should never be used to extend the time you spend in the sun.
  3. Slap on a hat – broad brim or legionnaire style to protect your face, head, neck and ears.
  4. Seek shade.
  5. Slide on some sunglasses – make sure they meet Australian Standards.
Here are some other sun protection mistakes that Aussies often make when they are out in the sun. Check out the video below:

Credit: Cancer Council Western Australia.

So, it looks like beach cabanas might have hit the shores of Australia with a big splash! Members, have you seen these colourful cabanas at your local beaches? Have you tried one out for yourself? Tell us about it in the comments below!

For those who haven’t gotten their hands on one yet, here are some recommendations:
Also, do you have any tips for keeping safe in the sun? Share your advice with us so everyone can stay safe. Happy beach-going, everyone!

Sponsored
Now that the holidays are drawing closer to an end, most Aussies have had their fill of time at the beach.

And if you've treated yourself to a beach trip before heading back to reality, you may have noticed a somewhat strange, maybe even majestic, sight: colourful beach cabanas dotting the shoreline.

Yes, the tents you usually see in places such as Spain have made their way Down Under too, particularly in places such as the Gold Coast, Queensland and Perth, Western Australia. Some even mentioned seeing them on beaches in Sydney, Newcastle, and Noosa.

It's a trend that has been gradually making its way to beach shores across the country, and Aussies are a bit taken aback by it.

View attachment 11095
Beach cabanas are taking over Aussie shores this summer season. Credit: TikTok/viralqueenliv.

TikTokers have filmed the colourful tents on the sand, going so far as to call them 'prime real estate'. And those on social media are divided on the issue, like the original video poster, who is seemingly not the biggest fan of the trend.

But thankfully, many have seen the brighter side of it, as the trend has been helping beachgoers protect themselves from the sun.

'I don't get it – people aren't taking up more space than they normally would. They just have shade,' one person commented on a post, with another adding: 'I think they're great – they don't block the view like the old tents.'

'I think it's cool that people are being conscious about the sun,' said a third.

Australians have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world, says the Cancer Council.

Each year, more than 11,500 Australian men and women receive melanoma (a type of skin cancer that usually occurs after being overexposed to the sun) diagnoses, while an estimated 434,000 individuals receive treatment for one or more non-melanoma skin malignancies.

The good news is that skin cancer is entirely preventable, so any steps we can take to lower our risk are always appreciated!

So we applaud anyone who has taken the initiative to be 'sun-smart' and make use of alternatives such as the beach cabanas or making sure to wear sunscreen and protective clothing if a cabana isn't available.
Key Takeaways

• Beach cabanas have become a new trend in Australia, with beaches in places such as the Gold Coast and Perth being filled with them
  • The use of beach cabanas is a positive step for sun safety, as they provide shade and protection from the harmful rays
  • Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer diagnoses in the world, and it is important to take precautions when spending time in the sun, such as using sunscreen, wearing protective clothing, hats and sunglasses, and seeking out a spot in the shade.

When it comes to sun protection at the beach, make sure you know the best practices to keep yourself safe.

2. Slop on a broad-spectrum, water-resistant SPF30 (or higher) sunscreen. Put it on 20 minutes before you go outdoors and every two hours afterwards. Sunscreen should never be used to extend the time you spend in the sun.
  3. Slap on a hat – broad brim or legionnaire style to protect your face, head, neck and ears.
  4. Seek shade.
Here are some other sun protection mistakes that Aussies often make when they are out in the sun. Check out the video below:

So, it looks like beach cabanas might have hit the shores of Australia with a big splash! Members, have you seen these colourful cabanas at your local beaches? Have you tried one out for yourself? Tell us about it in the comments below!

For those who haven’t gotten their hands on one yet, here are some recommendations:
Also, do you have any tips for keeping safe in the sun? Share your advice with us so everyone can stay safe. Happy beach-going, everyone!

Yes the sun cancer is a good message there is another safety issue. Anyone that has had a regular beach umbrella get blown away. Will know they have potential to cause injuries to other beach goers. Also, cabanas are easier to carry and store.

When we lived in Perth and the kids were little we only ever went to the beach after dinner and before their bedtime. This regime had several plusses 1. the harsh heat from the sun was gone, 2. the kids cooled down in the water making it easier for them to fall asleep as we didn't have aircon, 3. the beach was far less crowded making it easier to keep an eye on the kids.:)
We used to stand and watch the sunset, telling the kids if they were very quiet they might just be able to hear the water putting the fire in the sun out for the day, apparently they heard it on several occasions!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Then it was home to bed!

We head off to the beach with a sunset picnic every other night during heatwaves in the summer. In fact we're going to have a barbecue tonight, after a 38° day, so the grandchildren can play off some energy.
We take a sun shelter for midday outings to the beach, or the lake.

hate the feel of sand between my toes so will sit in the parking bays to watch the sunset or just look at the sea. I would go as far to say that I am allergic to the beach but then as a fair skinned natural redhead common sense tells me that even with sunscreen and shelter it is not the best environment for me, shame that common sense was not in evidence when I was young and stupid I have the skin damage to prove that.

Beach trips and swimming pool trips were always before 11 am and after 4pm.
This avoided sunburn, bright glaring sun and hot and bothered little people and Mum.
Rules were followed....hats, sun-screen, long-sleeved vests...never had an issue about non-compliance.
Plenty of water to drink to avoid dehydration.
What joy, so much fun, so safe.
My son is an avid scuba diver these days, and has a love of kite-boarding and surfing.
He obtained his Bronze Medallion at age 10.
Water safety and sun safety go hand in hand.

They look like a great idea. Personally I'm not a beachgoer. I hate sand and hot weather, and I get sunburnt hanging out the washing, and have already had 4 Basal Cell Carcinomas removed from my face. I prefer mountains, forests and rivers. Although a walk along the beach on a cool misty morning would be nice.

View attachment 11095

Key Takeaways

4. Seek shade.

Fabulous trend to keep people safer in the shade.

Reactions: Ricci
They look like a great idea. Personally I'm not a beachgoer. I hate sand and hot weather, and I get sunburnt hanging out the washing, and have already had 4 Basal Cell Carcinomas removed from my face. I prefer mountains, forests and rivers. Although a walk along the beach on a cool misty morning would be nice.
yep me too, I can get sun burnt walking back to the car after doing the shopping, no fun being so fair skinned.

Reactions: ElleJay and Ricci