Beach visitors be warned: Woman pays $136 fine—are you next?

The allure of Australia's beaches is undeniable. Their golden sands and rolling waves beckon locals and tourists alike to bask in their natural beauty.

But for one woman, a brief pause to admire the surf turned into an unexpected and costly lesson in parking regulations.

Amy Sloane was drawn to the picturesque scene at The Esplanade at New South Wales' Caves Beach.

On 6 July, she stopped her car to check the surf conditions, a seemingly harmless act many beachgoers might do without a second thought.

However, this quick stop resulted in a $136 fine in her mailbox weeks later, leaving her both surprised and frustrated.

1721274819216.png
Amy Sloane was fined $136 for wrong-way parking at Caves Beach, NSW. Credits: Facebook

'How do I feel? Pissed off,' she expressed.

‘Rangers can't fine people who don't pick up after their dogs on our beaches but can secretly fine you without you knowing for just checking out the surf for five minutes.’

Amy felt that the fine was issued stealthily, without any immediate indication from the parking inspector that she had committed an offence.

She didn't mince words when she labelled the council workers as 'cowards,' highlighting that the area where she stopped is a familiar spot for locals and tourists to enjoy the view.

However, the council had a different perspective. Lake Macquarie City Council defended the fine.

‘The fine at hand was issued for not parallel parking in the direction of travel, which is a safety offence under Australian Road Rules.’ the council spokesperson explained.

‘The driver's vehicle crossed double white lines and was parked near a bend, facing oncoming traffic, which further heightened safety concerns,’

‘Lake Macquarie City Council enforces parking regulations to ensure the safety of all road users.

The reaction on social media to Amy's predicament was mixed.

While some sympathised with her frustration, others argued that the fine was justified.'

‘If you think the fine is wrong, fight it. If you were parked incorrectly, wear the fine,' one commenter advised.

Ultimately, Amy decided to pay the fine, albeit reluctantly.

In related news, parking across your driveway is illegal in New South Wales and can result in substantial fines.

A Sydney resident received a fine for parking across her driveway, unaware that it was against the law. Read more about the incident here.
Key Takeaways
  • Amy Sloane was fined $136 for parking her car in the opposite direction of travel at Caves Beach, NSW.
  • The Lake Macquarie City Council defended the fine, stating it was a known 'safety offence under Australian Road Rules' and emphasised enforcing parking regulations for road safety.
  • Sloane expressed frustration on social media, where opinions were mixed, with some agreeing with the fine and others sympathising with her.
  • After considering her options, Sloane decided to pay the fine despite her annoyance with the situation.
Have you ever encountered or been in a similar situation before? Please share your experiences and tips on how to avoid parking fines in the comments below.

Sponsored
You can refuse the fine. You never signed the contract with council or any such department including the police department so you never agreed to those conditions. It is not their jurisdiction to do so. It is a victimless crime. What they are doing is completely illegal according to the Constitution of 1900. Our politicians and councils etc are illegal entities and make up a the corporation that our government has become. We, the people, need to stand up to this tyranny. There have been grous set up to educate and assist: My Place Australia has groups all over Australia and check out My Self Reliance Groups also. They can over much information on Common Law/Lore.
More false information. It's a traffic infringement, it's not a criminal offence, hence a victim is not needed.

I suggest you take your backyard lawyer thinking and shove it.

By signing for getting your licence it is a legal contract to obey the rules of the road. Maybe you should go and read the road rules and how getting a licence makes you agree to the these rules. Your rant is totally ridiculous and unwarranted as rules are there for the safety of everyone 🤬
But, people who believe the crap the person you had responded to wrote, don't drive registered cars or with driver's licences. They don't believe those rules apply to them :rolleyes:

Please cite that legislation for NSW where they can't fine you on a "major road" or "freeway"???

Love to see this one. Facts are the road rules make no mention of road types, they are all "roads".
It's a matter of WHO administers the road by TYPE. Local councils maintain local streets and minor roads while State authorities look after major roads.

From NSW's Transport for NSW website.

Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is the organisation responsible for the control of traffic on all roads in New South Wales under the Roads Act 1993 and the Road Transport Act 2013. In order to deal with the increased need for locally managed traffic control, TfNSW delegated certain aspects of the control of traffic on local roads to councils.

TfNSW has retained both the control of traffic on the State's classified road network and the control of traffic signals on all roads.

The main delegation to councils (Roads and Maritime Services – Delegation to Councils – Regulation of Traffic) limits the types of prescribed traffic control devices and traffic control facilities that council may authorise and requires councils to comply with certain conditions when doing so. One of these conditions requires councils to obtain the advice of TfNSW and NSW Police prior to proceeding with proposals at a 'Local Traffic Committee'.

Source: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/op...-and-groups/committees-and-groups/delegations

Do your own research in future before jumping to erroneous conclusions.

"The danger of parking in the opposite direction to traffic flow is common knowledge."

How odd. In the UK people are allowed to do precisely that. And probably also in France, although they drive on the wrong side of the road anyway. However, in the UK I was knocked off my motorcycle by an Australian who crossed double white lines to enter a pub's car park, so the crossing the double white line bit is definitely a hanging offence

It's a matter of WHO administers the road by TYPE. Local councils maintain local streets and minor roads while State authorities look after major roads.

Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is the organisation responsible for the control of traffic on all roads in New South Wales under the Roads Act 1993 and the Road Transport Act 2013. In order to deal with the increased need for locally managed traffic control, TfNSW delegated certain aspects of the control of traffic on local roads to councils.

TfNSW has retained both the control of traffic on the State's classified road network and the control of traffic signals on all roads.

The main delegation to councils (Roads and Maritime Services – Delegation to Councils – Regulation of Traffic) limits the types of prescribed traffic control devices and traffic control facilities that council may authorise and requires councils to comply with certain conditions when doing so. One of these conditions requires councils to obtain the advice of TfNSW and NSW Police prior to proceeding with proposals at a 'Local Traffic Committee'.

Source: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/op...-and-groups/committees-and-groups/delegations

That's talking about the traffic controls, traffic lights, Stop signs, etc, and who must approve them.

The conversation is about PARKING OFFENCES.

I was fined for not parking rear to kerb near Lane Cove pool. I didn’t see the sign behind a truck that blocked it off. I drove into the small space between two trucks. It was the only available space. I couldn’t have backed in without hitting something. I contested the :fine but I was unsuccessful. Moral is to check for signs.

Yes to enter a entry point but not to park illegally and not on a bend.
Interesting to see how mums delivering their children to school park their SUVs on a bend and on both sides of the narrow bent suburban road, used also by buses, next to the local primary school. Good job I am not a bus-driver.

You can refuse the fine. You never signed the contract with council or any such department including the police department so you never agreed to those conditions. It is not their jurisdiction to do so. It is a victimless crime. What they are doing is completely illegal according to the Constitution of 1900. Our politicians and councils etc are illegal entities and make up a the corporation that our government has become. We, the people, need to stand up to this tyranny. There have been grous set up to educate and assist: My Place Australia has groups all over Australia and check out My Self Reliance Groups also. They can over much information on Common Law/Lore.
OK....our countries LAWS do not meet YOUR requirements. Perhaps you should relocate to another country...such as Russia, China, Chile or Sudan and enjoy the "freedoms" on offer over there! One of this countries LAWS ...one that I hope meets YOUR approval.... is that YOU ARE FREE TO LEAVE OUR COUNTRY IF YOU SO WISH! Good luck with your projects.

Reactions: Greg350
"The danger of parking in the opposite direction to traffic flow is common knowledge."

How odd. In the UK people are allowed to do precisely that. And probably also in France, although they drive on the wrong side of the road anyway. However, in the UK I was knocked off my motorcycle by an Australian who crossed double white lines to enter a pub's car park, so the crossing the double white line bit is definitely a hanging offence
And the people in the UK are use to it, we are not. Explain how a driver, sitting on the right side of the car can see clearly to pull out into oncoming traffic. Just because a country does something does not mean it's always the right thing or a safe thing.

As a migrant and 10 pound pom in 1970 I made the mistake of parking on the WRONG side of the road as we used to do in the UK and a shopkeeper quicky pointed out the error and we moved on never to do it again.

And the people in the UK are use to it, we are not. Explain how a driver, sitting on the right side of the car can see clearly to pull out into oncoming traffic. Just because a country does something does not mean it's always the right thing or a safe thing.

‘The fine at hand was issued for not parallel parking in the direction of travel, which is a safety offence under Australian Road Rules.’ the council spokesperson explained.

Australian Road Rules are a model that the State's and council's road rules are based on. They are not legally binding by legislation whereas the State's and council's ARE.
That's talking about the traffic controls, traffic lights, Stop signs, etc, and who must approve them.

The conversation is about PARKING OFFENCES.

‘The driver's vehicle crossed double white lines and was parked near a bend, facing oncoming traffic, which further heightened safety concerns,’

Is this not a traffic offence? Definitely not a parking offence! Councils CANNOT issue an infringement notice for a traffic offence. So much for the article exclusively pertaining to parking offences. Selective reading much??

Road Rules apply to ALL roads unless specifically mentioned.
Read Road Rules 12 and 13.
There is no mention anywhere in the Road Rules that the rules do not apply to "major roads" or "freeways".

If you knew your road rules, which you should if you are a driver, you'd know that there is no such thing in the rules as "major road". A major road to you could be not a major road to someone else.

You come up with some BS and tell me to do my research? What a joke you are.

"
'Explain how a driver, sitting on the right side of the car can see clearly to pull out into oncoming traffic."
That is a good point. I suppose in the UK we had got used to looking to see what was coming, probably by turning our heads through impossible angles ; one could park facing either way on either side of the road. Interesting difference in outlook.

Australian Road Rules are a model that the State's and council's road rules are based on. They are not legally binding by legislation whereas the State's and council's ARE.

Is this not a traffic offence? Definitely not a parking offence! Councils CANNOT issue an infringement notice for a traffic offence. So much for the article exclusively pertaining to parking offences. Selective reading much??
You are an idiot - the offence the person got was for parking the wrong direction, others have brought up the centrelines.

Yes, the Australian Road Rules are written by the NTC and are not legally binding, hence every jurisdiction have written their own rules which are heavily based on the Model Australian Road Rules. These State rules ARE legally binding.

Where did I say the council could issue a traffic offence, come on show me, big mouth.

Again, my comments are in relation to PARKING OFFENCES, I never said anything different.

Road Rules apply to ALL roads unless specifically mentioned.
Read Road Rules 12 and 13.
There is no mention anywhere in the Road Rules that the rules do not apply to "major roads" or "freeways".

If you knew your road rules, which you should if you are a driver, you'd know that there is no such thing in the rules as "major road". A major road to you could be not a major road to someone else.

You come up with some BS and tell me to do my research? What a joke you are.
Have you ever seen this type of sign on a suburban street?

P6250005.jpg

Next thing you will trying to tell me it that this is not a major road!

"

That is a good point. I suppose in the UK we had got used to looking to see what was coming, probably by turning our heads through impossible angles ; one could park facing either way on either side of the road. Interesting difference in outlook.
The Highway Code in the UK states NOT to park against the direction of travel. It is one of those rules that no one adheres to and has become common place.1721613711696.png

Have you ever seen this type of sign on a suburban street?

View attachment 54176

Next thing you will trying to tell me it that this is not a major road!
And your point about that sign? I said the road rules apply on all roads equally unless specially mentioned. Where did I say different? Come on, I ask you to show me numerous times now where I've supposedly said something and you can never prove it. That's because it's BS.