Battle of the Shower Steamers: Vicks vs Anihana vs Essential Oils

Today, we’re looking at popular shower steamer products you’ve likely seen at your local supermarket. But first, let’s meet the reviewer.

Meet Marty:
My name is Marty, I am a male in my mid-fifties. I spent time in the Australian Defence Forces and for the last twenty-five-plus years as a Property Facilities Manager.

I have two grown-up children and one grandson. I enjoy riding Vespa scooters and playing miniature wargames, as I have done since my childhood. I exercise and drink alcohol regularly in healthy measure.

I volunteered to participate in product testing and as I enjoy a good power tool like the next male, I chose Shower Steamers thinking it was a device that emitted steam to clean the shower. Well I was surprised when the actual products are in a tablet form (the size of a biscuit, but do NOT put them in your mouth) designed to be used in the showers steam to infuse with the hot water steam to disperse their scent.

So based on this new information I sought to recruit my wife in the testing process, since I needed to observe the product in action and also take photos of its use. She responded that she was not inclined to let me watch and take photos of her in the shower. I did plead my case, but unsuccessfully.

The following is my findings on the products purchase, use and my recommendations.

Vicks VapoShower
Price: $14.90/5-Pack at Woolworths — Link to purchase

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 10.16.26 am.png
There is no single-pack option. Image Credit: Woolworths

Each tablet is individually sealed in a plastic envelope that needs scissors to get it out. I personally don’t keep scissors in the bathroom outside nail clippers. They didn't have a little “tear here to open” which would have been handy.

photo (15) (1).jpg
The product in-store (left) and the open product (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

I was mindful to take a photo of the bathroom shower floor before I started the process in case it made a mess and whilst I can say it didn't really. This brand lasted longer than my nightly shower and still had a little portion remaining that I left on the floor of my shower until the next one, whereupon it dissolved and washed down the drain with little effect.

I cannot recall to date seeing any advertisement or material to inform me that this product existed, let alone get wind that I was missing out on “delight” to my senses, as it lists on the packaging.

This product does list “breathe easy” on the packaging, but following its use I’m not sure that product created an environment in which I did “ breathe easy”; in my youth I did use the pot with hot water and Vicks chest rub, with a towel over my head to clear my blocked nose and get some relief. A practice not widely seen or used.

photo 1 (2) (1).jpg
The product in the shower (left) and a comparison photo of a 50-cent coin, unused tablet and used tablet (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

Back to the VapoShower tablets performance, upon placement under the water stream it did release the menthol fragrance, which on occasions during my shower I did catch a whiff, I didn’t however consider these flickers of engagement with my nose anything of significant value. Most of the time my body and face wash scent was more overpowering whilst in the shower. Following stopping the water there was little if any remaining smell, even though there was a portion of the tablet remaining. Whilst I do not share my bathroom with anyone, I would imagine that if not informed the next person or family member who might use the shower with the residue not having been dissolved cleanly may have some comments or concerns.

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
3 stars (score improves if you catch it on sale)
Quality: 3 stars

At about $3 per shower, it is cheaper than the other tablet product.
I cannot validate why Vicks package them in five and three packs. Five would equate to one per night during the week but you have nothing for the weekend. The three pack, if for the weekend and one for your potential guest when they have a shower? Or just to leave in the bathroom cabinet for another day, to be used sometime? I guess they don’t want to help us decide how often we should spoil ourselves with a “delight our senses”.

Anihana Shower Steamer Mint Refresher With Peppermint & Eucalyptus 50g

Price: $5 each ($4 on special) at Woolworths — Link to purchase

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 10.15.57 am.png
Anihana shower steamers can be purchased from Coles and Woolworths. Image Credit: Woolworths

Initially I used the product incorrectly and can testify that it should not be used directly under the shower stream of water flow. The other product was the only one to nominate specifically placement directly in the stream and I didn't read this product's instructions as I interpreted them all to be a similar use.

photo 2 (2) (1).jpg
The product in-store (left, middle) and the open product (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

When used incorrectly it dissolved so fast I could barely grab my camera to take a photograph.

I thought of the analogy of a teenage male’s first sexual encounter; since it started hard and as soon as it became wet it dispensed its Mint smelling shot and dribbled away in a white goo in less than a minute.

I sourced another one to use in line with directions; however this one I didn’t get on special and paid full rate.

photo 4 (1).jpg
The product at the start of the shower (left) and its appearance after the shower compared to the size of a 50-cent coin (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

It started strong when just placed in the water at the edge of the shower, with furious fizzing and smell being emitted. At this point, I was ready to give it the win, but like a runner who starts off too fast, quickly runs out of steam (pun intended). The fizz died down by the time I started to wash myself in the shower, so I encouraged the tablet to act with a swish of my foot to create a little water wave over it, in which it slightly came back to life.

When used correctly it still didn’t inspire an unforgettable moment, which is why I produced my report asap, lest I forget what did occur.
Like its opposition, it didn’t dissolve completely in the time it took me to complete my shower. The photo shows how it finished as a blob in the base of the shower. The fifty-cent coin is used for a size reference in the photo, I don’t normally take money in the shower.

The packaging lists “will bring the spa to your home” I have been to spas and found there to be other aspects for their enjoyment than just the memory sensation of a smell. The “unforgettable shower experience” promised on the box; sure, I won’t forget its use but if you could see the look on my face as I type my recollection of the products used, you would understand my ambivalence to it.

There seemed to be a variety of flavours/scents with which to try but I endeavoured to compare each with the equivalent comparison product.

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
2 stars when on sale. 1-star normal price
Quality: 2 stars

I can't say I agree with the packaging that lists “everyday moments of relaxation and bliss”. I personally don’t think I would buy one for every night, at $5 a pop it becomes quite a weekly expense. Even for an occasional use I can't justify it for the value I experienced. I acknowledge I did buy two, so I could give the product a fair opportunity to showcase its value when used correctly.
If you see them on special, sure give one a try. As a single tablet you won’t blow your shopping budget.

Essential oils on a washcloth

shutterstock_1235259313 (1).jpg
Image Credit: Shutterstock

Instructions: ‘You can reap the benefits of essential oils while you shower by letting the essential oil evaporate while you shower. Add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil onto a washcloth and bring it with you. Place it on your shower caddy or in an area near the water but not where it may end up getting wet. This way, the essential oil will evaporate as you shower.’

Price: So I calculated at 10 cents a drop, I used 10 drops = $1 per shower

The specific products used were:
doTERRA Peppermint 15ml $38.67
doTERRA Eucalyptus 15ml $30.67

Note from the Editor: This is not a review of the doTERRA brand of essential oils, but rather, a review of this method of shower steaming/diffusing.

Whilst I am a regular user of essential oils in many ways, this was the first time I used it in this manner during a shower.

I did get hints of the oil smell during the shower longer than the other products lasted, but it wasn't actively spread around the shower so at times the smell of my body wash and then face wash overpowered the peppermint and Eucalyptus combo.

photo 3 (1).jpg
The set-up (left) and in-use (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

I would consider it a better application to apply or use after the shower to get any benefits of their scent.

Upon review of the other products tested listed ingredients, they also contained essential oils, so technically this method just went straight to the main ingredient without the carrier.

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
5 stars
Quality: 4 stars

The smell was not actively spread around during the shower, but it was not washed down the drain like the others, so it remained well after my shower to slightly fragrance my bathroom.

In this question I am already biased as I have a significant collection of essential oils and I apply them in my everyday activities. I apply oils topically; there are a number of blends that have the Eucalyptus and Menthol scents that I use typically during winter instead of chest rub style products. I also regularly use them in diffusers to actively spread the smell around.

So I will be purchasing essential oils again in the future but I don't think I will use them in the manner suggested as part of this product comparison.

Shower steamers ratings (1).jpg
The winner is… Image Credit: SDC

Which is the winner?

Sorry, but I have a shower to wash myself and get clean. I don’t have the inclination to spend time in there pretending I'm at a spa and that the smells alone will make it a delight or encourage soothing vibes.

Save up and do it for real (spa day), or get your partner involved and treat each other to spa treatments (feet massage for example) with use of essential oils if you want to trigger memories with smells.

From the Editor
Members, what did you think of our very first member-written product review? Did you enjoy hearing from a fellow member? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. We’d also love to know whether you agree with these ratings if you’ve tried the products yourself!

Note: While this product review is free to access, future reviews may be posted exclusively in the SDC Rewards forum. To gain access, you can sign up here.

If you've applied to be a product tester, please know we are currently reading applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Today, we’re looking at popular shower steamer products you’ve likely seen at your local supermarket. But first, let’s meet the reviewer.

Meet Marty:
My name is Marty, I am a male in my mid-fifties. I spent time in the Australian Defence Forces and for the last twenty-five-plus years as a Property Facilities Manager.

I have two grown-up children and one grandson. I enjoy riding Vespa scooters and playing miniature wargames, as I have done since my childhood. I exercise and drink alcohol regularly in healthy measure.

I volunteered to participate in product testing and as I enjoy a good power tool like the next male, I chose Shower Steamers thinking it was a device that emitted steam to clean the shower. Well I was surprised when the actual products are in a tablet form (the size of a biscuit, but do NOT put them in your mouth) designed to be used in the showers steam to infuse with the hot water steam to disperse their scent.

So based on this new information I sought to recruit my wife in the testing process, since I needed to observe the product in action and also take photos of its use. She responded that she was not inclined to let me watch and take photos of her in the shower. I did plead my case, but unsuccessfully.

The following is my findings on the products purchase, use and my recommendations.

Vicks VapoShower

View attachment 27029

Each tablet is individually sealed in a plastic envelope that needs scissors to get it out. I personally don’t keep scissors in the bathroom outside nail clippers. They didn't have a little “tear here to open” which would have been handy.

View attachment 27032
The product in-store (left) and the open product (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

I was mindful to take a photo of the bathroom shower floor before I started the process in case it made a mess and whilst I can say it didn't really. This brand lasted longer than my nightly shower and still had a little portion remaining that I left on the floor of my shower until the next one, whereupon it dissolved and washed down the drain with little effect.

I cannot recall to date seeing any advertisement or material to inform me that this product existed, let alone get wind that I was missing out on “delight” to my senses, as it lists on the packaging.

This product does list “breathe easy” on the packaging, but following its use I’m not sure that product created an environment in which I did “ breathe easy”; in my youth I did use the pot with hot water and Vicks chest rub, with a towel over my head to clear my blocked nose and get some relief. A practice not widely seen or used.

View attachment 27031
The product in the shower (left) and a comparison photo of a 50-cent coin, unused tablet and used tablet (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

Back to the VapoShower tablets performance, upon placement under the water stream it did release the menthol fragrance, which on occasions during my shower I did catch a whiff, I didn’t however consider these flickers of engagement with my nose anything of significant value. Most of the time my body and face wash scent was more overpowering whilst in the shower. Following stopping the water there was little if any remaining smell, even though there was a portion of the tablet remaining. Whilst I do not share my bathroom with anyone, I would imagine that if not informed the next person or family member who might use the shower with the residue not having been dissolved cleanly may have some comments or concerns.

Is it worth it?

Affordability:

I cannot validate why Vicks package them in five and three packs. Five would equate to one per night during the week but you have nothing for the weekend. The three pack, if for the weekend and one for your potential guest when they have a shower? Or just to leave in the bathroom cabinet for another day, to be used sometime? I guess they don’t want to help us decide how often we should spoil ourselves with a “delight our senses”.

View attachment 27028
Anihana shower steamers can be purchased from Coles and Woolworths. Image Credit: Woolworths

Initially I used the product incorrectly and can testify that it should not be used directly under the shower stream of water flow. The other product was the only one to nominate specifically placement directly in the stream and I didn't read this product's instructions as I interpreted them all to be a similar use.

View attachment 27025
The product in-store (left, middle) and the open product (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

When used incorrectly it dissolved so fast I could barely grab my camera to take a photograph.

I thought of the analogy of a teenage male’s first sexual encounter; since it started hard and as soon as it became wet it dispensed its Mint smelling shot and dribbled away in a white goo in less than a minute.

I sourced another one to use in line with directions; however this one I didn’t get on special and paid full rate.

View attachment 27026
The product at the start of the shower (left) and its appearance after the shower compared to the size of a 50-cent coin (right). Image Credit: Marty/SDC

It started strong when just placed in the water at the edge of the shower, with furious fizzing and smell being emitted. At this point, I was ready to give it the win, but like a runner who starts off too fast, quickly runs out of steam (pun intended). The fizz died down by the time I started to wash myself in the shower, so I encouraged the tablet to act with a swish of my foot to create a little water wave over it, in which it slightly came back to life.

When used correctly it still didn’t inspire an unforgettable moment, which is why I produced my report asap, lest I forget what did occur.
Like its opposition, it didn’t dissolve completely in the time it took me to complete my shower. The photo shows how it finished as a blob in the base of the shower. The fifty-cent coin is used for a size reference in the photo, I don’t normally take money in the shower.

The packaging lists “will bring the spa to your home” I have been to spas and found there to be other aspects for their enjoyment than just the memory sensation of a smell. The “unforgettable shower experience” promised on the box; sure, I won’t forget its use but if you could see the look on my face as I type my recollection of the products used, you would understand my ambivalence to it.

There seemed to be a variety of flavours/scents with which to try but I endeavoured to compare each with the equivalent comparison product.

Is it worth it?

Affordability:

I can't say I agree with the packaging that lists “everyday moments of relaxation and bliss”. I personally don’t think I would buy one for every night, at $5 a pop it becomes quite a weekly expense. Even for an occasional use I can't justify it for the value I experienced. I acknowledge I did buy two, so I could give the product a fair opportunity to showcase its value when used correctly.
If you see them on special, sure give one a try. As a single tablet you won’t blow your shopping budget.

View attachment 27027

Instructions: ‘You can reap the benefits of essential oils while you shower by letting the essential oil evaporate while you shower. Add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil onto a washcloth and bring it with you. Place it on your shower caddy or in an area near the water but not where it may end up getting wet. This way, the essential oil will evaporate as you shower.’

Note from the Editor: This is not a review of the doTERRA brand of essential oils, but rather, a review of this method of shower steaming/diffusing.

Whilst I am a regular user of essential oils in many ways, this was the first time I used it in this manner during a shower.

I did get hints of the oil smell during the shower longer than the other products lasted, but it wasn't actively spread around the shower so at times the smell of my body wash and then face wash overpowered the peppermint and Eucalyptus combo.

View attachment 27033

I would consider it a better application to apply or use after the shower to get any benefits of their scent.

Upon review of the other products tested listed ingredients, they also contained essential oils, so technically this method just went straight to the main ingredient without the carrier.

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
5 stars

The smell was not actively spread around during the shower, but it was not washed down the drain like the others, so it remained well after my shower to slightly fragrance my bathroom.

In this question I am already biased as I have a significant collection of essential oils and I apply them in my everyday activities. I apply oils topically; there are a number of blends that have the Eucalyptus and Menthol scents that I use typically during winter instead of chest rub style products. I also regularly use them in diffusers to actively spread the smell around.

So I will be purchasing essential oils again in the future but I don't think I will use them in the manner suggested as part of this product comparison.

View attachment 27030

Which is the winner?

Sorry, but I have a shower to wash myself and get clean. I don’t have the inclination to spend time in there pretending I'm at a spa and that the smells alone will make it a delight or encourage soothing vibes.

Save up and do it for real (spa day), or get your partner involved and treat each other to spa treatments (feet massage for example) with use of essential oils if you want to trigger memories with smells.

From the Editor
Members, what did you think of our very first member-written product review? Did you enjoy hearing from a fellow member? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. We’d also love to know whether you agree with these ratings if you’ve tried the products yourself!

Note: While this product review is free to access, future reviews may be posted exclusively in the SDC Rewards forum. To gain access, you can sign up here.

If you've applied to be a product tester, please know we are currently reading applications.
Well written review thanks for taking the time. I'm with you though, just basic essential oils less messing around and last longer. Personally I use pure Eucalyptus oil with just a few drops in the shower recess. The hot water enhances the smell.

Meet Marty:

Vicks VapoShower

View attachment 27029

View attachment 27032

View attachment 27031

Is it worth it?

Affordability:

View attachment 27028

View attachment 27025

View attachment 27026

Is it worth it?

Affordability:

View attachment 27027

View attachment 27033

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
5 stars

View attachment 27030

Which is the winner?

From the Editor

Seems too complicated to use (the first two). Therefore, I will only go for the essential oils instead. However only excellent quality oils should be used, many are cheap and contain make believe “supplements” replacing the real fragrances which at the end are not really worth the savings.

Good review. PLEASE be aware though people nothing to do with the shower, that some essential oils can be deadly to your DOGS. Please Google it and look after your furry friends. I myself stopped using the plug in ones for this reason And found that it was also affecting a lung condition I have. You definitely learn something new every day.

If I have a cold, or am suffering with allergies, I use a few sprays of Eucalyptus oil into the shower. The warm water creates a lovely eucalyptus steam which really does clear the nose and makes the bathroom smell great.
Thanks for the amusing and entertaining review by the way.

Meet Marty:

Vicks VapoShower

View attachment 27029

View attachment 27032

View attachment 27031

Is it worth it?

Affordability:

View attachment 27028

View attachment 27025

View attachment 27026

Is it worth it?

Affordability:

View attachment 27027

View attachment 27033

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
5 stars

View attachment 27030

Which is the winner?

From the Editor

Great idea to have product reviews and I loved this one, well done