Battle of the Homebrand Spanakopitas: Coles vs ALDI

We are back with another member-submitted product review. This review comes from the multi-talented member @Suzanne rose, who has kindly compared a ready-to-heat dinner option from Coles and ALDI: the delicious Spanakopita.

Unfortunately, Woolworths and IGA did not have a comparable home-brand offering, so they’re already eliminated from this battle.

Let’s take a look at whether ALDI’s ‘People’s Picks’ winning offering or Coles’ underdog option comes out on top. Shall we?

spanakopita thumbnail (1).jpg
Will Coles or ALDI come out on top? Image Credit: Shutterstock, Coles, ALDI

Before we get started, let’s learn more about the reviewer, Suzanne.

Meet Suzanne:
I'm a retired bridal consultant who has always loved cooking and exploring new dishes. I am also a mother to 13 and grandmother to 19. I am Australian-born with Irish/English heritage and have been married to a Greek man for over 45 years.

Note from the Editor: You’ve likely seen her recipes in our daily newsletters, and you can read more in her full-length member spotlight here.

Coles Spinach And Cheese Spanakopita | 800g

Price: $11.25 for 800g – Link to purchase

Coles spanakopita merged (1).jpg
The product packaging (left) and the product in-store (right). Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose/SDC

This product was a little hard to find. It was literally in the far corner of the store.

The packaging was very enticing, stating it was authentic Greek.

Easy to understand directions. It was basically heating the oven and placing it in the oven.

When it came out of the oven, it looked and smelled amazing. The pasty was perfect and not oily at all. The spinach and feta were exactly the perfect combination, and the ratio of spinach and cheese was perfect.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how the taste was exactly like eating a homemade Spanakopita.

Coles cooked (1).jpg
You can see how crispy the pastry is. Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose/SDC

Is it worth it?

Affordability:
5 stars

Quality: 5 stars

I would definitely recommend this to anyone. This would be perfect for those non-cooks and for those wanting to experience a taste of Greece. The price was very affordable.

I love that even after being frozen and cooked it tastes like it was just baked fresh. I will definitely be buying this again, even though I actually also make it from scratch.

ALDI Urban Eats Spanakopita 750g

Price: $8.99 for 750g — Link to purchase

ALDI spanakopita merged (1).jpg
The product packaging (left) and the product in-store (right). Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose/SDC

I found this product with ease. The packaging was good and enticing.

When I removed the Spanakopita from the box, it was in a foil tray covered in plastic. Baking was again easy; all it needed was the removal of plastic and to be baked in its own tray in a 200-degree oven for 40 minutes. I advise you to check at 35 minutes because when I did, it was ready.

The pastry looked good and tasted good, but the filling was disappointing. There wasn't as much filling in it as there was in the Coles Spanakopita.

I also found the authentic flavours were not there. In fact, there was a flavour that I really didn't like, yet I couldn't work it out. I also found that it was oily.

ALDI filling (1).jpg
ALDI’s is visibly thinner than Coles’. Image Credit: Member @Suzanne rose/SDC

Is it worth it?
Affordability:
5 stars

Quality: 3 stars

Even though this one is only 50 grams less than the Coles one, it looked a lot smaller. I think if you don't know what real Spanakopita tasted like, you may still like this one. Otherwise, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Would I buy it again? The answer is no.

spanakopita rating (1).jpg
The results are in. Image Credit: SDC

Which is the winner?

I am actually surprised. I thought we would have liked ALDI more than the Coles one, but the Coles Spanakopita is the winner by far. The taste and texture are exactly like the authentic Greek dish.

From the Editor

So there you have it! If you’re looking for an easy heat-and-serve dinner option, Coles’ Spanakopita is the way to go. This came as a surprise to the team in the SDC HQ as well, since ALDI’s option is consistently praised online and was voted as one of their top picks in their annual ‘People’s Picks’. That just goes to show how impressive Coles’ offering really is.

Now, members, have you tried either store’s Spanakopita before? Or perhaps there’s another frozen option you prefer? Let us know!

And, if you enjoyed reading this review, leave a comment below so we know which content you’d like to see more of!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Really? If you are not going to show the full article why the heck would you put it up showing only a portion and then the rest of the text blurring. Shame on you SDC! I'm really annoyed!

Reactions: Simply_Susan
If you want people to continue reading your articles, you should seriously reconsider blurring articles halfway through, doing this sort of thing is frustrating and you will lose followers. If it continues to occur, I for one won't be bothering to read anything you chose to send out

If you want people to continue reading your articles, you should seriously reconsider blurring articles halfway through, doing this sort of thing is frustrating and you will lose followers. If it continues to occur, I for one won't be bothering to read anything you chose
Really? If you are not going to show the

Really? If you are not going to show the full article why the heck would you put it up showing only a portion and then the rest of the text blurring. Shame on you SDC! I'm really annoyed!
I copied and pasted the article hopefully you can read it now

If you moaners and critics had read the link to the article, you would have seen that it was an article aimed at, and for, Rewards members. If you don't want to join the Rewards, then simply don't follow links to the Rewards articles. Rewards members can read it without the advertisements. This is what the members join the Rewards programs for.

SDC Rewards Exclusive: Member @Suzanne rose put Coles and ALDI to the test in a sizzling taste-off. Which supermarket came out on top?

You have to try the Coles one , it is do close to the real thing . You can serve it with salad as a meal
As long as there's no cucumber in the salad. I have a rare allergy to it due to an enzyme called profilin. Beats Jenny Craig for weight loss. Just over 9 kgs in 5 days, hence I haven't eaten it for 44 years!

I can smell cucumber from over 10 metres away, I'm that sensitive.

Reactions: Littleboy8
As long as there's no cucumber in the salad. I have a rare allergy to it due to an enzyme called profilin. Beats Jenny Craig for weight loss. Just over 9 kgs in 5 days, hence I haven't eaten it for 44 years!

Wow that is a rare allergy, it is basically all water

Reactions: Ezzy
My daughter purchased this one yesterday at a Greek Deli .

Screenshot_20230827_104815_Gallery.jpg

It was 500g so smaller than the two I reviewed.

Cost was $9.00

It came in its own case to cook in.

The flavour was absolutely horrible as well as the pastry .

It wasn't the cheese abd spinach one , just feta and another cheese..

We never ate it , the whole thing went in the bin.

0 stars

I bought the Coles one on Friday.
Had it for dinner Friday night.
It was quite large and between the two of us, we only used half.
It was very enjoyable.
We'll have the other half tonight.
Hope it heats up well in the microwave.
It will , you can even preheat oven for 10 minutes and pop it in for 10 minute , cover with foil that way it won't dry out

Reactions: Ezzy

😢

Thankyou @ Suzanne rose. I too would like to have a little or a lot of this meal. Sounds delicious & adding salad as a side dish is perfect. Being able to keep some for another day & reheat as directed is very handy. I always look forward to recipes or recommendations from you.

I thought l was missing something reading about the ads etc until l read the comment by @ Placid. Going back l realised what people were saying. Yes indeed, being an SDC REWARDS MEMBER does come with its rewards.

Reactions: Suzanne rose