Battle of the Homebrand Salted Butter: Woolies vs. ALDI vs. Coles vs. IGA

Have you ever wondered how much one ingredient can alter a recipe? Could one simple choice at the supermarket alter the taste of your recipes? That’s what we’re here to find out!

If you’d like to know which homebrand salted butter is worth your money, read on!

photo 4 (2).jpg
Which butter came out on top? Image Credit: SDC/Member @Iggydi

But first, let’s meet today’s product reviewer, Diane, better known as @Iggydi on the forum!

Meet Diane:

I’m nearly 67. I have been formally married for 21 years but I’ve been with hubby for nearly 40 years (I didn’t know if I liked him, so I had to make sure haha).

I have three children from a previous marriage and no children from my current marriage. I have four granddaughters, one grandson and one great-granddaughter (20 months old), plus two stepdaughters, three step-granddaughters and four step-grandsons.

I worked in the government for 13 years. Due to the NDIS being rolled out and given a choice, I took a redundancy in 2018 and don’t know how I managed to work because I seem to be busy 95% of the time. I also worked in hospitality for eight years and retail for 23 years.

I love baking, eating, and making chocolates for Easter, Christmas, and birthdays for family and friends.

I have seen most of Australia, visited every state and territory, and lived in 3 different states: SA, TAS and QLD. My husband and I were lucky enough to work on Hayman Island for three years. I currently live in Queensland.

I love travelling, catching up with family and friends and seeing this beautiful country.

The reason I am using salted butter (rather than unsalted) is because of the recipe I chose to make, which has salted butter in the ingredients. I have tried the Italian Shortbread recipe with unsalted butter (and I added salt manually), and it wasn’t as nice. I couldn't get the right taste.

Test 1: Italian Shortbread
Test 2: Melted butter

Disclaimer: As with all the testing of the butter, this is my opinion based on my tastes.

Attachments

• shortbread recipe 3.jpeg
    shortbread recipe 3.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sponsored
@Iggydi What an outstanding and comprehensive review! Your methodology was spot on and gave me an insight of what brand of the budget salted butter to use.

Personally, I use Western Star's Original Unsalted Butter for my garlic bread and sauteed mushrooms. At $5.20 for 250 grams, I might give the Aldi product a go for $1.50 cheaper.

I ONLY use salted butter, I can't see the point in using unsalted butter in a recipe only to be required to add salt! I have tried ALDI, Coles and Woolworths salted butter and my preference is for the Woolworths one, I find the ALDI one spits and spatters more, as though it has water in it. I make around 30 dozen shortbreads each Christmas for family and friends and by far the Woolworths butter gives the best results.

THATS BLACKMAIL. Unless I pay SDC there silly little fee I don't get to read the rest of the artical. When I joined SDC you posed as suppling information to seniors FREE of charge now I have tto pay to read the whole story. You are just another money grabbing mob. As a senior pensioner living off Super and a little allounance from Centerlink I am left living below the provety line and now I am expected to pay for crap like this!

Last edited:
THATS BLACKMAIL. Unless I pay SDC there silly little fee I don't get to read the rest of the artical. When I joined SDC you posed as suppling information to seniors FREE of charge now I have tto pay to read the whole story. You are just another money grabbing mob. As a senior pensioner living off Super and a little allounance from Centerlink I am left living below the provety line and now I am expected to pay for crap like this!
Hi @Grumpypa, this is a free article, so I'm not sure why you cannot access it. Previously, our Rewards members had early access (a benefit of their membership). Are you able to refresh your page? If you're still not able to access it, just let me know, and I'll be happy to forward it to you via email!

Have you ever wondered how much one ingredient can alter a recipe? Could one simple choice at the supermarket alter the taste of your recipes? That’s what we’re here to find out!

If you’d like to know which homebrand salted butter is worth your money, read on!

View attachment 30429
Which butter came out on top? Image Credit: SDC/Member @Iggydi

But first, let’s meet today’s product reviewer, Diane, better known as @Iggydi on the forum!

Meet Diane:

I’m nearly 67. I have been formally married for 21 years but I’ve been with hubby for nearly 40 years (I didn’t know if I liked him, so I had to make sure haha).

I have three children from a previous marriage and no children from my current marriage. I have four granddaughters, one grandson and one great-granddaughter (20 months old), plus two stepdaughters, three step-granddaughters and four step-grandsons.

I worked in the government for 13 years. Due to the NDIS being rolled out and given a choice, I took a redundancy in 2018 and don’t know how I managed to work because I seem to be busy 95% of the time. I also worked in hospitality for eight years and retail for 23 years.

I love baking, eating, and making chocolates for Easter, Christmas, and birthdays for family and friends.

I have seen most of Australia, visited every state and territory, and lived in 3 different states: SA, TAS and QLD. My husband and I were lucky enough to work on Hayman Island for three years. I currently live in Queensland.

I love travelling, catching up with family and friends and seeing this beautiful country.

The reason I am using salted butter (rather than unsalted) is because of the recipe I chose to make, which has salted butter in the ingredients. I have tried the Italian Shortbread recipe with unsalted butter (and I added salt manually), and it wasn’t as nice. I couldn't get the right taste.

Test 1: Italian Shortbread
Test 2: Melted butter

Disclaimer: As with all the testing of the butter, this is my opinion based on my tastes.

• Wow
Reactions: Iggydi
Hi @Grumpypa, this is a free article, so I'm not sure why you cannot access it. Previously, our Rewards members had early access (a benefit of their membership). Are you able to refresh your page? If you're still not able to access it, just let me know, and I'll be happy to forward it to you via email!
I also had the same issue when I first opened this email, only half the article, but I have just come back to the article again and low and behold it is all now visible! A bit of a glitch there I think.

pipe a shortbread? it doesn't alter the taste. Never will use unsalted. Buterr comes form a cow orignally, milk cream butter. Why is it changed? Piped look ridiculous.
Jest, Don't knock it until you try it. I have 3 different types of shortbread biscuit recipes and this one is light and buttery. I try a lot of different recipes and have tried a few shortbread ones and these are my personal favourites. But it's all down to taste. They weren't too bad just squished down either

pipe a shortbread? it doesn't alter the taste. Never will use unsalted. Buterr comes form a cow orignally, milk cream butter. Why is it changed? Piped look ridiculous.
how old is this? as i wrote my comment yonks ago. maybe 2 months back.