Battle of the Home Brands: Which Supermarket Offers the Best Prices on Everyday Essentials?

Home brand products are becoming increasingly popular in Australian supermarkets as individuals face the challenge of rising living costs.

These products offer an affordable alternative for people with fixed incomes who struggle to make ends meet and need to stretch their budgets for everyday essentials.

And with more and more Australians turning to these affordable options, it's no surprise that the big supermarkets, such as Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI, compete to offer the best value for your precious dollars.

But which supermarket offers the best prices on popular home brand products like bread, milk, flour, and cleaning supplies?

Read on to find out as we share the results!

1684840820430.png
To determine which home brand offers the best value for money, a 9Honey journalist conducted a cost comparison of Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI. Credit: 9Honey.

The study compared the prices of five popular grocery items, including bread, milk, butter, flour, and laundry powder from Coles' 'Coles Australia' range, Woolworths' 'Woolworths Essential' line, and ALDI's predominantly home brand offerings.

IGA's 'Black & Gold' range was excluded due to limited availability and less competitive pricing at the time.

Bread

Indulging in a delicious sandwich is a timeless pleasure, but the researchers were disappointed to find limited options for home-brand bread during their shopping excursion.

Coles offered their white sandwich loaf for $2.40, while Woolworths priced theirs slightly higher at $2.70. ALDI emerged victorious in the bread battle with a price of just $2.29!

Milk

Gone are the days when a two-litre bottle of milk could be bought for a mere $2.

Both Coles and Woolworths now sell their two-litre home-brand milk for $3.10.

ALDI offers a slightly cheaper option, priced at $3.09.

Flour

The researchers stumbled upon a 2kg bag of flour at Coles, priced at $2.20—a perfect choice for pizza dough and home bakers alike.

Unfortunately, Woolworths did not have any available 2kg bags, compelling them to purchase two 1kg bags at a cost of $2.80.

Once again, ALDI proved to be the frontrunner, offering the most affordable flour at just $2.18 for 2kg.

Butter Blend

When it comes to butter blends, a popular option for school lunches, Coles' 'Butterly' brand demanded $4.85 for a 500g pack.

Woolworths lacked a home-brand butter blend, prompting the researchers to opt for Flora's on-sale butter blend at $4.50.

Meanwhile, ALDI's 'Butterfully' provided a competitive alternative at $4.79 for 500g.

Laundry Powder

As we are all too aware, laundry seems to have no end! The researchers compared prices of home-brand laundry powders and discovered that Coles and Woolworths offered 4kg packages for $5 each.

ALDI, however, managed to outshine them with a slightly lower price of $4.99.

So, who was crowned the affordable home brand king? ALDI came in first, with a total cost of $17.34 for the five items. Coles followed closely at $17.55, while Woolworths came in last at $18.10.

1684840820485.png
A summary of the researcher’s findings on the price differences between home brand items in ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

To help save money, the researchers advise you to do most of your shopping at ALDI and visit Coles or Woolworths for additional purchases. And don't forget the benefits of online shopping, allowing for easy price comparison!

Woolworths was praised for their user-friendly app, while Coles' website was deemed trickier to navigate.

While ALDI doesn't currently offer online shopping, a trip to their store is certainly worthwhile for the potential savings.

Key Takeaways
  • Home brands are experiencing high demand in Australian supermarkets due to rising living costs.
  • A study compared the prices of five popular grocery items: bread, milk, butter, flour, and laundry powder.
  • ALDI emerged as the overall winner in affordability, with the five items totalling $17.34, Coles at $17.55, and Woolworths at $18.10.
  • To save money, it is recommended to do the majority of shopping at ALDI, opt for Coles or Woolworths for additional purchases, and utilise online shopping for easy price comparison.

Remember, the key to stretching your budget lies in keeping an eye on prices and seizing those savvy opportunities to save.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on the findings? Do you agree with the researchers? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Share the love with all the supermarkets where possible. I live 42 k's North of Brisbane and fortunately for us most centres contain all 3 as well as good Asian markets.
I'm fortunate as I have the time to check online ahead of a shop what are the specials and best buys for my little family. But if you want the best sometimes you have to do your study to find the best value. I have a very serious kidney disease and just 1 supermarket can't provide me with my requirements. Then my eldest daughter is a type 1 diabetic so same story for her and my youngest requires a protein high so for us to eat properly we need to hunt around. By trying to bulk buy when I can with non perishables it helps for snacks. One think I would love is an A grade greengrocer. The markets have even gone off sadly.

When I lived in Queensland, I was lucky enough to have an Aldi store right across the road and did most of my shopping there. Now, living in South Australia, my nearest Aldi is 50 kilometers away. The choices I have here are Foodland, IGA and Woolworths. I certainly notice the difference in the grocery bill. While we can shop in Aldi when we have to go to the larger town for other reasons, it simply isn't viable to go there just to shop

With Woolworths brands, they may be cheaper, but with some items they have more additives in them, if you read the Contents. I haven't compared the same items at Aldi.

With Woolworths brands, they may be cheaper, but with some items they have more additives in them, if you read the Contents. I haven't compared the same items at Aldi.
Please explain!!
What "additives" are you talking about?
I thought all food had additives in them

Home brand products are becoming increasingly popular in Australian supermarkets as individuals face the challenge of rising living costs.

These products offer an affordable alternative for people with fixed incomes who struggle to make ends meet and need to stretch their budgets for everyday essentials.

And with more and more Australians turning to these affordable options, it's no surprise that the big supermarkets, such as Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI, compete to offer the best value for your precious dollars.

But which supermarket offers the best prices on popular home brand products like bread, milk, flour, and cleaning supplies?

View attachment 20494
To determine which home brand offers the best value for money, a 9Honey journalist conducted a cost comparison of Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI. Credit: 9Honey.

The study compared the prices of five popular grocery items, including bread, milk, butter, flour, and laundry powder from Coles' 'Coles Australia' range, Woolworths' 'Woolworths Essential' line, and ALDI's predominantly home brand offerings.

IGA's 'Black & Gold' range was excluded due to limited availability and less competitive pricing at the time.

Bread

Indulging in a delicious sandwich is a timeless pleasure, but the researchers were disappointed to find limited options for home-brand bread during their shopping excursion.

Coles offered their white sandwich loaf for $2.40, while Woolworths priced theirs slightly higher at $2.70. ALDI emerged victorious in the bread battle with a price of just $2.29!

Milk

Gone are the days when a two-litre bottle of milk could be bought for a mere $2.

Flour

The researchers stumbled upon a 2kg bag of flour at Coles, priced at $2.20—a perfect choice for pizza dough and home bakers alike.

Unfortunately, Woolworths did not have any available 2kg bags, compelling them to purchase two 1kg bags at a cost of $2.80.

Once again, ALDI proved to be the frontrunner, offering the most affordable flour at just $2.18 for 2kg.

Butter Blend

When it comes to butter blends, a popular option for school lunches, Coles' 'Butterly' brand demanded $4.85 for a 500g pack.

Woolworths lacked a home-brand butter blend, prompting the researchers to opt for Flora's on-sale butter blend at $4.50.

Meanwhile, ALDI's 'Butterfully' provided a competitive alternative at $4.79 for 500g.

Laundry Powder

As we are all too aware, laundry seems to have no end! The researchers compared prices of home-brand laundry powders and discovered that Coles and Woolworths offered 4kg packages for $5 each.

So, who was crowned the affordable home brand king? ALDI came in first, with a total cost of $17.34 for the five items. Coles followed closely at $17.55, while Woolworths came in last at $18.10.

View attachment 20493
A summary of the researcher’s findings on the price differences between home brand items in ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

To help save money, the researchers advise you to do most of your shopping at ALDI and visit Coles or Woolworths for additional purchases. And don't forget the benefits of online shopping, allowing for easy price comparison!

Woolworths was praised for their user-friendly app, while Coles' website was deemed trickier to navigate.

While ALDI doesn't currently offer online shopping, a trip to their store is certainly worthwhile for the potential savings.

Key Takeaways

• Home brands are experiencing high demand in Australian supermarkets due to rising living costs.
  • A study compared the prices of five popular grocery items: bread, milk, butter, flour, and laundry powder.
  • ALDI emerged as the overall winner in affordability, with the five items totalling $17.34, Coles at $17.55, and Woolworths at $18.10.
  • To save money, it is recommended to do the majority of shopping at ALDI, opt for Coles or Woolworths for additional purchases, and utilise online shopping for easy price comparison.

Remember, the key to stretching your budget lies in keeping an eye on prices and seizing those savvy opportunities to save.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on the findings? Do you agree with the researchers? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
I’ve never been a fan of ALDI until my daughter introduced me to them a few weeks ago, I’ve gone in a few times for garbage bags and dishwashing cloths but nothing major. Then I was looking for something and she suggested ALDI and sure and behold they had it, so now when I can get to one I always go inside and do a bit of shopping. I love their frozen foods selections, especially the meals.

I am a number one fan of Aldi. There I can do a fortnight's shopping for just a few dollars more than the $250.00 it used to cost me to buy meat from the farm direct. Yes, the bacon tasted just like bacon should but at $40.00 kl it should, but you never got a choice of cut just streaky bacon. I would only ever get 5-6 meals from the money I spent there whereas I can buy 16 assorted meats & my whole grocery list including coffee beans for about $275.00. While I really liked to support the local farmers it just isn't viable in today's financial climate.

View attachment 20494

Bread

Milk

Flour

Butter Blend

Laundry Powder

View attachment 20493

Key Takeaways

I always shop at Aldi first then the others for what I can’t get. The one thing Aldi has the best is their Butterfully Buttery Spread $4.99 but not for 500g it’s a whopping 1kg container and tastes amazing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0