Bargain hunter's dream come true: $60 worth of groceries and a FREE roast chook for just $5 – here's how!

When you're shopping at the supermarket, one of the best things to see is the prices of your favourite items going down. But we have to admit, as exciting as that is, nothing beats getting freebies!

We can't help but spread the good news whenever we hear about thrifty shoppers who scored amazing deals in their local neighbourhood supermarkets.

Recently, one budget-savvy mum shows you how she got about $60 worth of groceries for less than $5, not to mention a free roast chook as well!

The shopper from Adelaide revealed that she saved so much by purchasing items on sale, including pasta sauce, chocolate milk, pastries, and yoghurt, for a grand total of $4.81. If she had paid full price, the items would have cost $59.10. Now THAT’s a good saving!

Coles currently gives customers a coupon for a free roast chook that they can redeem on their next shopping trip in the event that there are no more chickens available. On this trip, she redeemed her free roast chicken.

Her secret? She went into the store at 5:30 pm.

8Yp6ECPhy51WtNVeIb2SiXYOMQ8UW-xvrNkC5dWVm-IixlBL0k1_fZrifrlGdgAM2OpG37AzOg8NMSIUJ29uCZnXBosvevZq1tgsGVzHr807HKy1WzRqWMSYSWy7JjAGlgDCgJCYa2xsKlvrNkZ2kjTSiB3g5NNAmW4Vf_BAD1BpplwgkkLlNZFQ7Q

The mum scored $60 worth of groceries for only $5. Credit: Facebook.

The mum said on the Facebook group Simple Savers that she had simply planned to only pick up the free chicken, but once she was there, she noticed far greater markdowns than she was used to seeing.

The woman noticed a variety of products marked down by up to 90%, such as four tubs of Latina Fresh pasta sauce for only 64 cents each, two pastry-covered cheese sausages for 48 cents each, a litre of chocolate milk for 55 cents, and yoghurt for 70 cents.

She said she was thrilled and delighted to be able to treat her family to the purchases, as they were not within the norm of what she would normally be able to afford.

The mum's post attracted a lot of attention from the group since everyone was so surprised by the amount of food she scored at such a low price; many even asked where they could shop for deals like that themselves.

'I get so envious when I see people's bargains! Is there a particular day or time that people find are best for markdowns?' one woman wrote in the comments section, and the mum responded: 'I don't normally shop at night. This was 5:30 pm. Specials change tomorrow. Maybe that's why? These are best before tomorrow, not today.'

Other people appreciated her sharing the information about the free chicken coupons, and she said that she rarely buys them and just happened to get lucky at the store.

'The irony is I buy a cooked chicken maybe once a year. I just happened to be standing by the warmer when a lady grabbed the last one, and she caught my attention with a gorgeous shirt,' the mum said.

'Then I saw the sign, so I asked. And got two vouchers by accident.'

ueCNzPgAvN1ZTjea1ldy1R_AwMavlOtNocePyXW4yx6Do9HSRKLWulrLtpI2hrYGhrinL2ivD7SieGD54-9P_Im46tGbIQxUezDMLFRviiczZtPqJGRDHQ451Dq6MllYXpetxopqdgEgSbz6oLE28nUQ1jWK6gVhPRyspDBXWxjiRpuYNYj6oJlDzQ

If there are no roast chickens left in the store, Coles gives customers a voucher for a free one. Credit: Facebook.

How can I get a free chook at Coles?

If there aren't any roast chickens available during the hours shown on the notice, Coles customers are eligible to pick up a coupon for a free hot roast chicken from the deli section.

However, the specifics of the policy are left up to the discretion of each Coles location.

Keep in mind that unexpectedly high demand or supply chain issues may hinder some Coles stores from issuing vouchers, so members, don't assume that you'll always be able to get one!

Have fun grocery shopping, and best of luck finding a good deal, everyone!

Sponsored
Beware when Coles have run out of "Cooked Chooks"!!

Not all Coles store display the free chook sign, and will NOT offer it, as it's at the discretion of the Store Manager!! (as mentioned above)

Interestingly, the Voucher shown above expired on 26 Oct 2020!!

As for expiry dates, legally, the store CANNOT offer products for sale after the date marked on the product.

It doesn't mean the product is "OFF",

It's "best by" date could still be up to 5-6 days longer, if refrigerated or frozen safely!

How many consumers throw out food because its past the "use by" date, and buy more, when it perfectly edible for a few more days?

Why do grocery retailers pass "expired" fresh food to Food Banks to help feed the needy?

Look at Third World Countries- they don't worry about expiry dates on their food!!

You're welcome!!

In Third World Countries they also use very spicy sauces so you don't notice the "off" flavour. As they are used to having spoiled food they build a resistance to any bacteria unlike us. It is good that we have a chance to check our food as now we have to pay to see a doctor & can't be seen at hospitals as they are now so busy. It is good to have a guide line for useability.

Not sure I want to buy close to or day before expiry date products, especially dairy.
Don't fool yourself into thinking all products keep beyond that date.
I've had milk in the fridge go off a week before, and meat turn grey days before the due dates, in perfect storage temperatures.
You are relying on the supermarket to keep the food fresh beforehand and that's not always the case. You have no idea how the food has been handled or how long it's been stored.
You're taking food from the store to home and re-refrigerating it.
Buying a whole heap of discounted, close to expiry date products doesn't always end in saving money if you have to throw them out because they are off.
If there is a longer expiry date on a product I'll take that first.

Everyone has to realise that expiry dates are a manufacturers estimation of the products safe life expectancy, if you get sick or the food spoils after that date you have little ground for reparation.

Not sure I want to buy close to or day before expiry date products, especially dairy.
Don't fool yourself into thinking all products keep beyond that date.
I've had milk in the fridge go off a week before, and meat turn grey days before the due dates, in perfect storage temperatures.
You are relying on the supermarket to keep the food fresh beforehand and that's not always the case. You have no idea how the food has been handled or how long it's been stored.
You're taking food from the store to home and re-refrigerating it.
Buying a whole heap of discounted, close to expiry date products doesn't always end in saving money if you have to throw them out because they are off.
If there is a longer expiry date on a product I'll take that first.

Everyone has to realise that expiry dates are a manufacturers estimation of the products safe life expectancy, if you get sick or the food spoils after that date you have little ground for reparation.

If I have milk in my fridge with a 2 day left on it I turn it into rice cream or something.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
When you're shopping at the supermarket, one of the best things to see is the prices of your favourite items going down. But we have to admit, as exciting as that is, nothing beats getting freebies!

We can't help but spread the good news whenever we hear about thrifty shoppers who scored amazing deals in their local neighbourhood supermarkets.

Recently, one budget-savvy mum shows you how she got about $60 worth of groceries for less than $5, not to mention a free roast chook as well!

The shopper from Adelaide revealed that she saved so much by purchasing items on sale, including pasta sauce, chocolate milk, pastries, and yoghurt, for a grand total of $4.81. If she had paid full price, the items would have cost $59.10. Now THAT’s a good saving!

Coles currently gives customers a coupon for a free roast chook that they can redeem on their next shopping trip in the event that there are no more chickens available. On this trip, she redeemed her free roast chicken.

8Yp6ECPhy51WtNVeIb2SiXYOMQ8UW-xvrNkC5dWVm-IixlBL0k1_fZrifrlGdgAM2OpG37AzOg8NMSIUJ29uCZnXBosvevZq1tgsGVzHr807HKy1WzRqWMSYSWy7JjAGlgDCgJCYa2xsKlvrNkZ2kjTSiB3g5NNAmW4Vf_BAD1BpplwgkkLlNZFQ7Q

The mum said on the Facebook group Simple Savers that she had simply planned to only pick up the free chicken, but once she was there, she noticed far greater markdowns than she was used to seeing.

The woman noticed a variety of products marked down by up to 90%, such as four tubs of Latina Fresh pasta sauce for only 64 cents each, two pastry-covered cheese sausages for 48 cents each, a litre of chocolate milk for 55 cents, and yoghurt for 70 cents.

She said she was thrilled and delighted to be able to treat her family to the purchases, as they were not within the norm of what she would normally be able to afford.

The mum's post attracted a lot of attention from the group since everyone was so surprised by the amount of food she scored at such a low price; many even asked where they could shop for deals like that themselves.

'I get so envious when I see people's bargains! Is there a particular day or time that people find are best for markdowns?' one woman wrote in the comments section, and the mum responded: 'I don't normally shop at night. This was 5:30 pm. Specials change tomorrow. Maybe that's why? These are best before tomorrow, not today.'

Other people appreciated her sharing the information about the free chicken coupons, and she said that she rarely buys them and just happened to get lucky at the store.

'The irony is I buy a cooked chicken maybe once a year. I just happened to be standing by the warmer when a lady grabbed the last one, and she caught my attention with a gorgeous shirt,' the mum said.

ueCNzPgAvN1ZTjea1ldy1R_AwMavlOtNocePyXW4yx6Do9HSRKLWulrLtpI2hrYGhrinL2ivD7SieGD54-9P_Im46tGbIQxUezDMLFRviiczZtPqJGRDHQ451Dq6MllYXpetxopqdgEgSbz6oLE28nUQ1jWK6gVhPRyspDBXWxjiRpuYNYj6oJlDzQ

If there are no roast chickens left in the store, Coles gives customers a voucher for a free one. Credit: Facebook.

If there aren't any roast chickens available during the hours shown on the notice, Coles customers are eligible to pick up a coupon for a free hot roast chicken from the deli section.

However, the specifics of the policy are left up to the discretion of each Coles location.

Keep in mind that unexpectedly high demand or supply chain issues may hinder some Coles stores from issuing vouchers, so members, don't assume that you'll always be able to get one!

Hello, the date on the free chook voucher is almost 2 years ago so I wouldn’t think this would be relevant any more?

Reactions: Ricci

The yoghurt & the chook were the only worthwhile food items

Yes, we have all learnt by now that products are usually marked down because of the use by date, but what makes me very p'd off is when the mark down sticker is placed directly over the use by date so that you do not know if you do actually have a day or 2 for the product to stay in the fridge before it HAS TO be used. Surely that practice should be illegal! I also found that with commercially packaged goods the use by date is often hidden in amongst the printing or under a flap, or it is printed in a spot where you would not normally look, or, more, cannot easily find whilst standing in the middle of the supermarket aisle whilst trying to get your shopping done in the shortest amount of time.