Bargain hunter under fire online after filling trolley with cakes and meat – can you see why?

We do love a markdown on groceries, don't we, members? There's something about getting a great deal on food that just feels so satisfying.

And typically, the more you save, the better you feel. That's why we always recommend heading to your local supermarket as close to closing time as possible – preferably when the yellow sticker sale is in full swing!

But how far would you go to save a few bucks? That was the question many people were asking themselves after seeing what one shopper did at her local Coles supermarket.

Posting on a popular Facebook page, the NSW woman shared how she picked up a huge stash of marked-down goods at her local store on the Central Coast, filling up an entire shopping trolley in the process.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 3.16.43 PM.png
The haul included packs of cakes and sweet treats, down to $1 or less. Credit: Facebook.

'Got a trolley full of cakes and meat for $100 at Kotara Coles,' she wrote alongside photos of her haul.

Included in the mix were packets of Lamington Long John Donuts and Vanilla Slices that had been reduced to just $1 each, as well as trays of chicken stir-fry strips. By all accounts, it looked like she had hit the jackpot!

However, not everyone was thrilled by what they saw.

While many commenters congratulated her on her impressive find (and envied her good fortune), others were critical – claiming that she shouldn't have taken so many items simply because they were marked down in price.

Some people on the Facebook group criticised the woman for 'selfishly' taking all of the massively discounted items and leaving none for other shoppers.

Others similarly expressed their disappointment, saying it wasn't right to take so many cakes since she wouldn't even be able to eat them all before they went bad.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 3.16.36 PM.png
The woman was defended by her fellow shoppers. Credit: 7News.

Fortunately for the woman, many of her fellow bargain hunters stepped in and defended her, saying that it is no one else's business what shoppers choose to purchase during markdowns.

'Bloody rude people. Just can't get over the negativity,' one user wrote in the comments.

Another argued: 'So many judgemental people… What if she has an event or does charity or something? Saving a bit of money at the moment is what we're all trying to do with everything rising! Just scroll if you're not happy for her.'
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper has been criticised for buying a trolley full of cakes and meat from her local store.
  • Several slammed her for hoarding the discounted items, leaving none to other shoppers.
  • Hundreds of people have rushed to the defence of the shopper, saying that it isn't anyone's business what shoppers choose to buy in markdown sales.
It's true that finding yourself in a situation where you find products at a huge markdown can be a bit tempting. Sometimes we even find ourselves wanting to buy just about everything in the store just because it's such a good deal!

But there's a reason why those items are placed on display – the store usually attempts to clear some space and get rid of products that are close to being expired or thrown out.

If you ask us, it's best to only pick up a few and only those products that you're sure you can use and consume in time.

Just because it's reduced in price does not automatically mean it's a good deal! Unnecessary food and plastic waste is also a problem in many households, and buying in bulk is not always the best strategy.

What do you think, folks? Let us hear them in the comments!

Sponsored
We do love a markdown on groceries, don't we, members? There's something about getting a great deal on food that just feels so satisfying.

And typically, the more you save, the better you feel. That's why we always recommend heading to your local supermarket as close to closing time as possible – preferably when the yellow sticker sale is in full swing!

But how far would you go to save a few bucks? That was the question many people were asking themselves after seeing what one shopper did at her local Coles supermarket.

Posting on a popular Facebook page, the NSW woman shared how she picked up a huge stash of marked-down goods at her local store on the Central Coast, filling up an entire shopping trolley in the process.

View attachment 7995
The haul included packs of cakes and sweet treats, down to $1 or less. Credit: Facebook.

'Got a trolley full of cakes and meat for $100 at Kotara Coles,' she wrote alongside photos of her haul.

Included in the mix were packets of Lamington Long John Donuts and Vanilla Slices that had been reduced to just $1 each, as well as trays of chicken stir-fry strips. By all accounts, it looked like she had hit the jackpot!

While many commenters congratulated her on her impressive find (and envied her good fortune), others were critical – claiming that she shouldn't have taken so many items simply because they were marked down in price.

Some people on the Facebook group criticised the woman for 'selfishly' taking all of the massively discounted items and leaving none for other shoppers.

Others similarly expressed their disappointment, saying it wasn't right to take so many cakes since she wouldn't even be able to eat them all before they went bad.

View attachment 7994

Fortunately for the woman, many of her fellow bargain hunters stepped in and defended her, saying that it is no one else's business what shoppers choose to purchase during markdowns.

'Bloody rude people. Just can't get over the negativity,' one user wrote in the comments.

Another argued: 'So many judgemental people… What if she has an event or does charity or something? Saving a bit of money at the moment is what we're all trying to do with everything rising! Just scroll if you're not happy for her.'
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper has been criticised for buying a trolley full of cakes and meat from her local store.
  • Several slammed her for hoarding the discounted items, leaving none to other shoppers.
  • Hundreds of people have rushed to the defence of the shopper, saying that it isn't anyone's business what shoppers choose to buy in markdown sales.
It's true that finding yourself in a situation where you find products at a huge markdown can be a bit tempting. Sometimes we even find ourselves wanting to buy just about everything in the store just because it's such a good deal!

But there's a reason why those items are placed on display – the store usually attempts to clear some space and get rid of products that are close to being expired or thrown out.

If you ask us, it's best to only pick up a few and only those products that you're sure you can use and consume in time.

Just because it's reduced in price does not automatically mean it's a good deal! Unnecessary food and plastic waste is also a problem in many households, and buying in bulk is not always the best strategy.

If she was in the right place at the right tme with her money then GOOD ON HER!! Why do these people get all upset because someone else scored some bargains and took the lot to save herself a bunch of money over the next few weeks. I bet if there was 100 liters of petrol at 10 cents a liter and their Prado took 110 to fill they would not just take 40 liters and leave the rest for someone else, these people are princess's that have to start living for themselves.

View attachment 7995

View attachment 7994

Key Takeaways

I do exactly the same and ooo them in the freezer. On the pension I only shop for specials an only once a month. I use Tupperware to store my fresh veggies and I steam and freeze as much as I can. I rarely eat meat but am a very healthy 67 yo on no medication!!

Has anyone heard the expression, 'First in, best dressed'? Good on her.
If I saw someone doing this and I wanted some of the items, I would ask, politely, if I could have a couple of them. (I live alone and don't need a lot.) If they said yes, I would thank them. If they said no, I would move on. No point in being negative/rude about it. There will be other times.

Reactions: IJH

View attachment 7995

View attachment 7994

Key Takeaways

She has every right… as the saying goes”….”First in first served”…
Even if she can’t consume it all, she probably has a good freezer… even possibly a large family.

Totally over the top of this lady. I hope she got bitten by her greed, pensioner or not. Hope for her sake she has a big freezer, can eat all this quickly or has someone to share with. I believe the saying goes, 'help the greedy, stuff the needy'. Why even post this photo on a web site unless out of gluttony.

Readers here have shared their stories before where they thought the price was a good bargain, took no more than was needed & out of 4 similar items only 1 was usable. Does spending $100 for these markdowns seem a good gamble?

Having volunteered for a Salvation Army soup run which fed the homeless every morning with soup, sandwiches & hot pies or the like, l know for a fact such items close to date would not be fed to these people (one comment was give these to charity). Soup was fresh every morning & pies etc. were only one day old, direct from a bakery on the day of baking & served the following day. Bread came direct from a grocery shop, stock they were unable to sell on the delivery day.

Totally over the top of this lady. I hope she got bitten by her greed, pensioner or not. Hope for her sake she has a big freezer, can eat all this quickly or has someone to share with. I believe the saying goes, 'help the greedy, stuff the needy'. Why even post this photo on a web site unless out of gluttony.

Readers here have shared their stories before where they thought the price was a good bargain, took no more than was needed & out of 4 similar items only 1 was usable. Does spending $100 for these markdowns seem a good gamble?

Having volunteered for a Salvation Army soup run which fed the homeless every morning with soup, sandwiches & hot pies or the like, l know for a fact such items close to date would not be fed to these people (one comment was give these to charity). Soup was fresh every morning & pies etc. were only one day old, direct from a bakery on the day of baking & served the following day. Bread came direct from a grocery shop, stock they were unable to sell on the delivery day.
So very well said. Maybe unless you have seen real life hungry people they don't realise how being a glutton is sinful.
I too hope that all those who take everything from a sale trolley is sharing with needy family or friends

My son volunteers in a soup kitchen behind St Marys Cathedral in the city.
He started doing this in his last year at school ( marist College ) he comes away sad at seeing such poor and hungry people but rewarded by serving and talking to some amazing people. Their stories are incredible.
These people actually inspired my son when he was studying at Sydney uni to organise a big sleepout to raise money for the homeless .
He stated unless we have slept in the cold or not knew where our next meal was coming from then you can't really comprehend what these people are going through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
So very well said. Maybe unless you have seen real life hungry people they don't realise how being a glutton is sinful.
I too hope that all those who take everything from a sale trolley is sharing with needy family or friends

My son volunteers in a soup kitchen behind St Marys Cathedral in the city.
He started doing this in his last year at school ( marist College ) he comes away sad at seeing such poor and hungry people but rewarded by serving and talking to some amazing people. Their stories are incredible.
These people actually inspired my son when he was studying at Sydney uni to organise a big sleepout to raise money for the homeless .
He stated unless we have slept in the cold or not knew where our next meal was coming from then you can't really comprehend what these people are going through.
Kind of your son to offer his time & he is an inspiration himself to have organised a sleepout to raise funds for these folk. It is an eye opener to see how these people live & indeed sad.

On an occasion when my Salvo Officer did the Soup Run he said a, now ex business man who had fallen on hard times, was waiting for a hand out.

l have said it before, "There goes l but for the grace of God".

Last edited:
Kind of your son to offer his time & he is an inspiration himself to have organised a sleepout to raise funds for these folk. It is an eye opener to see how these people live & indeed sad.

On an occasion when my Salvo Officer did the Soup Run he said a, now ex business man who had fallen on hard times, was waiting for a hand out.

l have said it before, "There goes l but the grace of God".
With our economy sadly I think there will be more and more homeless people.
I know we have to help those around the world but we need to start at home first.
Most homeless have their own story to tell. It's not just that they are alcoholics or chose to be homeless 🙏

Reactions: Ezzy