Banking

Well yesterday I went into Bankwest to ask them to transfer money to another bank. Answer: "yes I can do that for you but it will cost $35 and if you would like a bank cheque that will be $10". When I baulked at both she then said "if you have an online account (which I do but I was hesitant to do it myself as it was a reasonable amount and did not want to make an error)...she said if you have your password etc with you and your mobile phone I can "show" you how to do it at the computer over there".

With that I said "thank you" and walked out. Went home and managed to work it out ok and after verifying everything as I went (and codes coming at me three times by phone) I sent the money through. I was quite stressed while doing it I might add.

My beef is why should we be forced into doing this when we are elderly and we could make an error. I feel like closing my account entirely with them.

I assume those who do not have a computer etc and not competent will just have to pay the charges. The world has sure changed.
Banks are only interested in making money for the shareholder and in this case, any other bank would've charged the same. The last time I had an altercation with the ANZ after almost 50 years with them, I insisted on withdrawing all my savings in cash, so they gave me a bank cheque with no charge ( haha they didn't have enough cash and I wasn't moving until I got my money) Perhaps that's a position anyone can adopt the next time a bank charges unreasonable fees. They didn't even try to talk me out of withdrawing my money. I went to Bank of Melbourne and they were great, until they decided to close the branch 6 months later. There's no winning, we're just a flock of sheep being herded by one corporation or government dept or another.

I'm not sure anything positive can be said about banks. Co-ops were always the way for us. Still hundreds of "economically unfeasible" co-ops and tiny state banks running in Munich Germany, an greater Bavaria- it was like a nostalgia window. Many I had never heard of. Much like poor old Britain and Australia used to be in the bad old days of banks forbidden to engage in speculation and be fiscally responsible.

When my husband was a Bank Manager customer service was paramount and his staff knew it and acted accordingly. They are just money making institutions now and I’m very fortunate that I can do all my banking online and not have to go into a branch. It’s a sad state of affairs how everyone of any age is practically forced to either use the ATMs or try to understand how to do it online. Shameful.

Oh I hear that one
When my husband was a Bank Manager customer service was paramount and his staff knew it and acted accordingly. They are just money making institutions now and I’m very fortunate that I can do all my banking online and not have to go into a branch. It’s a sad state of affairs how everyone of any age is practically forced to either use the ATMs or try to understand how to do it online. Shameful.
Oh I hear that one, yes indeed. I remember to be a banker you had to be thoroughly respectable and infamously conservative. Now it's the complete opposite!
I remember when being a teller was a prize job. I can't stand the damn ATM's so I keep my bank book even if it means the teller is only employed for my sake. I've deliberately acted the "clueless old man" routine to create a queue and got them to serve me like the bad old days of tellers. And those ATM receipts- they bleach! How wonderful for a bank- disappearing ink! Bad luck if you don't get a photocopy.
My grandson, I'm very blessed, showed me how to take photos of everything and he backs them up and such. I have to now- zoom in on them- so I can read their fine print.

I have a market stall and am amazed how many people expect me to have efpos! It's a market, so why go there with no cash? To expect to pay using efpos for an item at a market costing $2 is quite ridiculous!! So PLEASE, all you market goers - take some cash with you!!

I’m of the old school prefer having cash in my back pocket to pay for things like coffee, lunch etc. it amazes me of how many people use their phones to pay for the same and I wouldn’t have a clue as to even set it up and if we are forced to use this then I’m stuffed!