The word banking is similar to another word that describes this system. My bank closed down the branch I use, that was OK as there was still an ATM. Bugger they've taken it away! I now use an opposition's ATM if I need cash. Of course, they want us to go cashless, then they can make more money without giving anything for it.
I've had 3 of my branches go and no ATMs. I have to travel to get to a bank. not happy. And where there were 3 ATMs at this major shopping centre there is now only one and you have to pay.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Gone are the days when banks are nice kind and helpful, my stress level hits the roof every time I go into my bank as I know I’m going to get bombarded with tech stuff I just find too much to handle. I ordered something on line and needed to check to see if it was a scam I waited over 2 hours to speak to someone that’s disgusting to say the least. I feel like taking all my pension out as soon as it comes in, but what’s the point when half the shops I go to don’t take cash. Sorry for my rant I just hate being old and not understanding things.
I personally like that some people at 85 have trouble with today's technology even though it is fairly easy to pick up if you have help maybe a grandchild could help you especially if at 85 you have one of 24 or so as do I. I am 85 also.

I understand we will soon be cashless - which I dont understand why? Is it to drop staffing levels at banks? and if so will they drop any fees they charge? I am also concerned as I have been to a couple of stores & a coffee shops which upon payment (& not before) advise they are now cashless & also charged me a 5% fee on top of cost for a coffee?
I would be changing my coffee shop

Banking

Well yesterday I went into Bankwest to ask them to transfer money to another bank. Answer: "yes I can do that for you but it will cost $35 and if you would like a bank cheque that will be $10". When I baulked at both she then said "if you have an online account (which I do but I was hesitant to do it myself as it was a reasonable amount and did not want to make an error)...she said if you have your password etc with you and your mobile phone I can "show" you how to do it at the computer over there".

With that I said "thank you" and walked out. Went home and managed to work it out ok and after verifying everything as I went (and codes coming at me three times by phone) I sent the money through. I was quite stressed while doing it I might add.

My beef is why should we be forced into doing this when we are elderly and we could make an error. I feel like closing my account entirely with them.

I assume those who do not have a computer etc and not competent will just have to pay the charges. The world has sure changed.
It makes me feel like putting the monies in a milo tin - only letting one trusted person know, and burying it in the backyard with a large ceramic potplant on top of it - one that does not really require water!:_) The banks are in the business of making money! nothing more, infact they speak to there customers rudely whenever the person wants to take out a larger amount or change banks, quite different to when a person wants to open an account and put large amounts of money in (neither of which i have) so they get no money making business from me!

These charges have been around since the ‘70’s.. I was charged $35 back then.. so never done it again!

Banking

Well yesterday I went into Bankwest to ask them to transfer money to another bank. Answer: "yes I can do that for you but it will cost $35 and if you would like a bank cheque that will be $10". When I baulked at both she then said "if you have an online account (which I do but I was hesitant to do it myself as it was a reasonable amount and did not want to make an error)...she said if you have your password etc with you and your mobile phone I can "show" you how to do it at the computer over there".

With that I said "thank you" and walked out. Went home and managed to work it out ok and after verifying everything as I went (and codes coming at me three times by phone) I sent the money through. I was quite stressed while doing it I might add.

My beef is why should we be forced into doing this when we are elderly and we could make an error. I feel like closing my account entirely with them.

I assume those who do not have a computer etc and not competent will just have to pay the charges. The world has sure changed.
Banks and politicians, only care about lining their own pockets.

I would change banks to one that treats you like a person. Wife and I bank at the best bank in Australia and it’s not 1 of the big 4 as they are just as bad. Fortunately we don’t get charged fees when using other ATMs.

A lot of inefficiency out there now, especially in banks where once everything had to be correct. I was saw an elderly lady directed to a computer in Centrelink, she hadn't even seen one before but she was expected to work it out.
That is so cruel, but not surprisibg from Centrestink!

I understand we will soon be cashless - which I dont understand why? Is it to drop staffing levels at banks? and if so will they drop any fees they charge? I am also concerned as I have been to a couple of stores & a coffee shops which upon payment (& not before) advise they are now cashless & also charged me a 5% fee on top of cost for a coffee?
They cannot refuse Cash unless Stated verbally BEFORE the transaction, OR clearly stated by signage.

A lot of inefficiency out there now, especially in banks where once everything had to be correct. I was saw an elderly lady directed to a computer in Centrelink, she hadn't even seen one before but she was expected to work it out.
My problem with this behaviour from that centerlink employee is the same problem that I have with anyone who born within the digital era expects everyone to understand how to use a computer or smart phone and labels anyone who does not understand as stupid. The usual cry of use an App frustrates me to the point of anger, I hate Apps and refuse to have one on my smart phone, which I might add is a lot smarter than me. Every household appliance we use now is digital and preprogrammed, taking the option to use it your way out of your hands, constant battles with my washing machine are a daily frustration. Why is everything so hard now when it is all supposed to make our lives easier.

For me, online banking has been a boon because I have mobility problems and don't get out much. I can't even drive my own car anymore which really pisses me off! Even if I could I would struggle to get my four wheeled wallker into the car, as it doesn't fold up very well. But having said that, I remember when banks used to provide jobs for many people. Now hardly anyone seems to work in the branches that do remain. I wonder how many jobs have been lost. Or do they all just man the phones now?
(or should that be 'person' the phones? 😆)

I find that extremely hard to believe that 1/2 the stores you go to don't take cash. With Do you mean BankWest that was in the first sentence? With VERY VERY few exceptions every store will take cash.
Well, I do think half is a bit of an exaggeration, but more and more outlets are not taking cash. You’re lucky if you haven’t come across it much yet.

Banking

A typical action in todays climes (BASTARDS)

Yes it was. Bankwest as the name suggests was founded in WA, but is now owned by Commonwealth Bank. (CBA)
I bank with BankWest and they do the right thing by me. They were originally Rural & Industries (R&I) bank and changed names to BankWest .... within hours I heard somebody referring to them as WankBest.

Gone are the days when banks are nice kind and helpful, my stress level hits the roof every time I go into my bank as I know I’m going to get bombarded with tech stuff I just find too much to handle. I ordered something on line and needed to check to see if it was a scam I waited over 2 hours to speak to someone that’s disgusting to say the least. I feel like taking all my pension out as soon as it comes in, but what’s the point when half the shops I go to don’t take cash. Sorry for my rant I just hate being old and not understanding things.
I understand your frustration. My son works away and sometimes get paid by cheque so I bank them for him. Last week I went to Commonwealth Bank to put it in his account.
It has previously been suggested that I use the ATM. I tried that once and it swallowed the cheque. It took quite a while to get it back then go to the teller to deposit it.
This time their rules have changed. There is a sign on the wall saying no cash deposits if you are not a Commonwealth customer. I lined up anyway because I had a cheque and there was a big lineup at the ATM. The teller refused to serve me because I wasn’t a customer. My son has an account and the cheque was written out to him but that didn’t matter.
I had to line up to use the ATM which I wasn’t happy about.

• Wow
Banking

Thank you for the useful information.

I went into the Comm bank recently to get my savings tin money put through the electronic counter,, I was asked if I had an account with them otherwise they wouldn't be able to do it,,,another time,,only about 2 mths before I went in to put B/D money in a family members account as they lived in Qld,,same question,,what is happening with banks today,,,,and no I refuse to do online banking,,not confident enough

How do you withdraw/deposit money online again? Make a single digit error on a transfer (and it happens everyday), and the cost is yours.
As I have said before, the day when money pops out of my app or pc will be a miracle beyond miracles. You have to visit banks to get cash, or an atm, so why do they say do it online for everything?