Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank refunds pensioner's scammed money…and then snatches it back?

Update: The lovely Virginia Malcher has reached out to us to address certain comments made by the members. Please scroll down below for the updated version of this article.

When Virginia Malcher, a pensioner from New South Wales, decided to sell her old couch online, she never could have imagined the ordeal that would follow.

What started as an innocent transaction became a lengthy battle with her bank over a sophisticated scam that cost Ms Malcher over $1,000.

After a local op shop rejected Ms Malcher’s couch because it wasn’t in the best condition, she opted to sell it online via Gumtree, a classified ads website. When an interested buyer quickly contacted her about the couch, her initial thought was that she’d just found a keen customer.

‘I got this call straight away from this woman,’ she explained.

‘She said she lived in Brisbane and really wanted it.’

But alarm bells started ringing when the supposed buyer insisted a courier would pick up the couch and transport it all the way from New South Wales to Queensland.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 125310.png
Virginia Malcher, an aged pensioner from New South Wales, fell for a scam after trying to sell her old couch online. Credit: Shutterstock

Ms Malcher recalled: ‘I said, “It's going to cost you a lot”, and she was like, “My company will get it”.’

'I’ll send you the courier details—give me your account, and I’ll pay straight away,' the buyer told Ms Malcher on the messaging platform WhatsApp.

Despite her hesitation, the courier form looked legitimate, so she handed over her bank card details.

Unfortunately, it was a fake form used by scammers to steal money.

Ms Malcher, a former employee of Westpac Bank, said she immediately realised she had fallen for an online shopping scam. 'I got this text from Westpac saying “roughly $1,100 came out of your account in New Zealand”. I straight away realised what was happening.'

This type of scam uses fake couriers and delivery confirmations to convince victims that their money has been safely spent on real purchases.

Ms Malcher reached out to the buyer, writing: ‘I said to this woman “I’m an aged pensioner, how can you do this to somebody?” And that’s when she started abusing me.’

She took a screenshot of the threatening messages the buyer had sent her way before the conversation was deleted. Ms Malcher also said that the buyer was calling her ‘every few minutes’ on WhatsApp.

‘My heart was pounding, and I was taking as many screenshots of everything as I could. She deleted the (Whatsapp) number really quick, and I had no record after that,’ she recalled.

Her bank, Westpac, was quick to respond. They cancelled Ms Malcher’s card, issued a new one, and refunded the stolen money. Within a fortnight, the issue was resolved—or so she thought.

A couple of months later, Westpac reversed the refund. The bank said they had received a 'delivery confirmation' from the scammers as supposed proof that Ms Malcher received the goods she supposedly 'purchased'.

‘They've got to take the word of this stupid piece of paper—anybody can produce that,’ she stated.

Unfortunately, her transaction dispute and complaint didn’t go in her favour.

The bank closed her case and explained the situation via email: ‘Our investigation shows the card was present at the point of purchase, effectively authorising the transaction.’

‘As the card wasn't reported lost or stolen, we are unfortunately unable to intervene to obtain a refund for you,’ it read.

But Ms Malcher didn’t give up—she contacted her bank repeatedly about the issue.

‘I finally got a sympathetic person—they said, “We totally understand, and I'm sorry that you were treated like that, but unfortunately, we have to draw the line somewhere”,’ she said.

She added: ‘I was the stupid idiot who gave them my account details. I thought, “I'm going to have to cop this because I made that stupid error”.’

It is understood that Westpac has a money-back guarantee for fraudulent transactions—with a catch. The guarantees promise refunds, but only if the customer did not 'contribute to the loss'. The banks can use this clause to avoid refunding scam victims.

Due to the incident, Ms Malcher felt she was let down by her bank. ‘The hardest part was the fact that they wouldn't believe me, and they took the word of this supposed delivery docket,’ she shared.

‘It's the fact my case was so blatantly obvious that I wasn't actually buying anything,’ she continued.

A Westpac spokesperson refused to comment on Ms Malcher’s case, stating: ‘Due to confidentiality obligations, we are unable to comment on individual customer matters.’

They added: ‘Stopping scams is one of our biggest priorities, and we continue investing significantly in scam prevention measures. When customers decide to transfer their money to scammers, we work hard to recover funds on their behalf where possible.’

In a welcome surprise, after being contacted by the media about Ms Malcher’s experience, Westpac reversed their decision and re-refunded her money, along with an apology.

It was a lengthy and tedious battle, which Ms Malcher believed would be difficult for more vulnerable people to take on when they want to dispute a transaction.

‘They've got no hope,’ she said.

So, how can people stay safe when shopping online?

Westpac warned their customers: ‘Never click on any link sent via text message or email asking you to download software, provide personal details or make a payment.’

‘Westpac will never send links in unsolicited text messages,’ their reminder said.

Gumtree, on the other hand, offered this advice to their customers:

'While the vast majority of experiences on Gumtree are successful and hassle-free, we always recommend our users to follow these simple steps to ensure they get the best out of their use of Gumtree:
  • Never send money by bank transfer or payment service that is not PayPal through Gumtree messages. We only recommend Gumtree's PayPal integration or cash in person.
  • If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't true
  • Always use common sense'
You can post at our Scam Watch forum if you come across anything suspicious so other members can stay informed.

You may also contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126 or send a report to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission here: https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam

If the worst case happens, seek advice from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if you’re unhappy with how your bank has responded to your situation.

Key Takeaways

• Virginia Malcher, after attempting to sell a sofa online, lost over $1,000 from her account to a scam buyer.
  • Despite initial action from Westpac Bank to refund the money and issue a new card, the bank later took back the refund based on a 'delivery confirmation' from the scammers.
  • After disputes and the case gaining media attention, Westpac refunded Malcher a second time and apologised.
  • Malcher emphasised a need for caution with unknown buyers online and raised concerns over more vulnerable individuals who might fall victim to similar scams.

Virginia's response:

In an email, Virginia noticed that people were asking her why she gave out her card details. According to her, the scammer directed her to a legitimate courier site where she had to enter her bank details in order for the scammer to pay her.

She followed the instructions and had a gut feeling that things didn’t seem right. By the time she caught on, they already had her money. She then explained that she's normally very careful, and is warning that these schemes can happen to anyone in a split second.

Members, do you have any tips or stories about similar scams? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Good grief, have empathy and compassion gone the same way as the Referendum?

I am amazed at the number of people chastising the pensioner for her mistake. Hasn't she suffered enough? Maybe the people calling her "stupid", "a fool" and "clueless" should consider that not everyone has their high intellect, common sense or lack of reading comprehension.

As I understand, she gave the scammer her bank details NOT BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS BUYING, but because the scammer told her she would deposit the money into her account, a common transaction with bona fide companies. Reading comprehension is such a female dog of a problem.
What do you mean by female dog of a problem I don’t understand your answer🤔

Reactions: VM53
I agree, I've used gumtree in many occasions, no problem.
But she was selling, not buying, so why is she giving someone her card number????
Probably very trusting. Perhaps she has no family to help her with anything. I agree there were red flags she did not pick up on.

I am amazed at the number of people chastising the pensioner for her mistake. Hasn't she suffered enough? Maybe the people calling her "stupid", "a fool" and "clueless" should consider that not everyone has their high intellect, common sense or lack of reading comprehension.

As I understand, she gave the scammer her bank details NOT BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS BUYING, but because the scammer told her she would deposit the
money into her account, a common transaction with bona fide companies. Reading comprehension is such a female dog of a problem.
Perhaps you need reading comprehension, she gave them her card number, not her account number (neither of which you should give to a complete stranger). Since when do you deposit money on someone's card.
It says quite clearly that she handed over her bankcard details, not her bank account details. It also stated she had worked for the bank.
It appears you are actually the one with the female dog of a problem.

I had a different but similar experience when shopping for a Tvidler item (ear cleaner) through this site itself, ie Seniors Discounts Coupon 65 with the email of [email protected]. They billed items to me even though I had not ticked them to be put into my shopping cart. Their site is one that sends you things if you DON'T tick the no box and bills you for them in USD. You can't edit the shopping cart even though it says you can. I got on to them immediately when I could not edit the shopping cart but they said it was too late and that the order was already being packed. (Yeah, right. NOT. This was 30 seconds afterwards!) They won't refund without offering more items instead of refunds. I'm about to send a lot of things back to the US (which will cost a lot in $USD post) but I am so over scammers. I've reported the company to the Seniors Discount Coupon65 page but have not heard or seen anything from them. Please take note of this if you ever think to order from Seniors Discount Coupon65

I had a different but similar experience when shopping for a Tvidler item (ear cleaner) through this site itself, ie Seniors Discounts Coupon 65 with the email of [email protected]. They billed items to me even though I had not ticked them to be put into my shopping cart. Their site is one that sends you things if you DON'T tick the no box and bills you for them in USD. You can't edit the shopping cart even though it says you can. I got on to them immediately when I could not edit the shopping cart but they said it was too late and that the order was already being packed. (Yeah, right. NOT. This was 30 seconds afterwards!) They won't refund without offering more items instead of refunds. I'm about to send a lot of things back to the US (which will cost a lot in $USD post) but I am so over scammers. I've reported the company to the Seniors Discount Coupon65 page but have not heard or seen anything from them. Please take note of this if you ever think to order from Seniors Discount Coupon65
I don't think this is the same site.
I'm sure I've seen warnings about
this site before.

As I understand, she gave the scammer her bank details NOT BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS BUYING, but because the scammer told her she would deposit the money into her account, a common transaction with bona fide companies. Reading comprehension is such a female dog of a problem.
Yes!
Bona fide companies but first you would check wth that bona fide company to make sure it’s them before handing out your personal information.
Actually there is NO excuse anymore for this type of stupidity.
Every day here, on the news and radio they are warning people of these scams.
Anyone who falls for these scams are stupid and fools!

Yes!
Bona fide companies but first you would check wth that bona fide company to make sure it’s them before handing out your personal information.
I wonder what you mean “sympathy and compassion“going the same way as the referendum?
Actually the Voice was another form of scam being perpetrated by Albanese and a small minority of indigenous people.
Thank heavens Australians saw through this scam and said no!
But obviously there were many who voted yes and in doing so we’re happy to validate a scam!

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Probably very trusting. Perhaps she has no family to help her with anything. I agree there were red flags she did not pick up on.
But it stated she had worked for the bank, so no matter how many years ago that was, it is still common sense not to give personal details to strangers
Gumtree have warnings all over their site to only deal with people face to face.
I'm 77 and I would automatically think anyone who offers to buy something without first seeing it was a bit suss.

Maybe some people, especially but not exclusively the older generation, just get terribly confused between Card Details and Bank Account details not realising they are completely different……..Maybe ?

The banks are right though, they cannot repay every scammed person back or they are not going to be able to stay in business. Where do people think the money comes from?
Some Banks don't deserve to stay in Business! They are always bragging about their profits margins It's not about the customer service!

When Virginia Malcher, a pensioner from New South Wales, decided to sell her old couch online, she never could have imagined the ordeal that would follow.

What started as an innocent transaction became a lengthy battle with her bank over a sophisticated scam that cost Ms Malcher over $1,000.

After a local op shop rejected Ms Malcher’s couch because it wasn’t in the best condition, she opted to sell it online via Gumtree, a classified ads website. When an interested buyer quickly contacted her about the couch, her initial thought was that she’d just found a keen customer.

But alarm bells started ringing when the supposed buyer insisted a courier would pick up the couch and transport it all the way from New South Wales to Queensland.

View attachment 32796
Virginia Malcher, an aged pensioner from New South Wales, fell for a scam after trying to sell her old couch online. Credit: Shutterstock

Ms Malcher recalled: ‘I said, “It's going to cost you a lot”, and she was like, “My company will get it”.’

'I’ll send you the courier details—give me your account, and I’ll pay straight away,' the buyer told Ms Malcher on the messaging platform WhatsApp.

Despite her hesitation, the courier form looked legitimate, so she handed over her bank card details.

Ms Malcher, a former employee of Westpac Bank, said she immediately realised she had fallen for an online shopping scam. 'I got this text from Westpac saying “roughly $1,100 came out of your account in New Zealand”. I straight away realised what was happening.'

This type of scam uses fake couriers and delivery confirmations to convince victims that their money has been safely spent on real purchases.

Ms Malcher reached out to the buyer, writing: ‘I said to this woman “I’m an aged pensioner, how can you do this to somebody?” And that’s when she started abusing me.’

She took a screenshot of the threatening messages the buyer had sent her way before the conversation was deleted. Ms Malcher also said that the buyer was calling her ‘every few minutes’ on WhatsApp.

‘My heart was pounding, and I was taking as many screenshots of everything as I could. She deleted the (Whatsapp) number really quick, and I had no record after that,’ she recalled.

Her bank, Westpac, was quick to respond. They cancelled Ms Malcher’s card, issued a new one, and refunded the stolen money. Within a fortnight, the issue was resolved—or so she thought.

A couple of months later, Westpac reversed the refund. The bank said they had received a 'delivery confirmation' from the scammers as supposed proof that Ms Malcher received the goods she supposedly 'purchased'.

‘They've got to take the word of this stupid piece of paper—anybody can produce that,’ she stated.

The bank closed her case and explained the situation via email: ‘Our investigation shows the card was present at the point of purchase, effectively authorising the transaction.’

‘As the card wasn't reported lost or stolen, we are unfortunately unable to intervene to obtain a refund for you,’ it read.

But Ms Malcher didn’t give up—she contacted her bank repeatedly about the issue.

‘I finally got a sympathetic person—they said, “We totally understand, and I'm sorry that you were treated like that, but unfortunately, we have to draw the line somewhere”,’ she said.

She added: ‘I was the stupid idiot who gave them my account details. I thought, “I'm going to have to cop this because I made that stupid error”.’

It is understood that Westpac has a money-back guarantee for fraudulent transactions—with a catch. The guarantees promise refunds, but only if the customer did not 'contribute to the loss'. The banks can use this clause to avoid refunding scam victims.

Due to the incident, Ms Malcher felt she was let down by her bank. ‘The hardest part was the fact that they wouldn't believe me, and they took the word of this supposed delivery docket,’ she shared.

‘It's the fact my case was so blatantly obvious that I wasn't actually buying anything,’ she continued.

A Westpac spokesperson refused to comment on Ms Malcher’s case, stating: ‘Due to confidentiality obligations, we are unable to comment on individual customer matters.’

They added: ‘Stopping scams is one of our biggest priorities, and we continue investing significantly in scam prevention measures. When customers decide to transfer their money to scammers, we work hard to recover funds on their behalf where possible.’

In a welcome surprise, after being contacted by the media about Ms Malcher’s experience, Westpac reversed their decision and re-refunded her money, along with an apology.

It was a lengthy and tedious battle, which Ms Malcher believed would be difficult for more vulnerable people to take on when they want to dispute a transaction.

Westpac warned their customers: ‘Never click on any link sent via text message or email asking you to download software, provide personal details or make a payment.’

‘Westpac will never send links in unsolicited text messages,’ their reminder said.

You can post at our Scam Watch forum if you come across anything suspicious so other members can stay informed.

You may also contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126 or send a report to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission here: https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam

If the worst case happens, seek advice from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if you’re unhappy with how your bank has responded to your situation.

Key Takeaways

• Virginia Malcher, after attempting to sell a sofa online, lost over $1,000 from her account to a scam buyer.
  • Despite initial action from Westpac Bank to refund the money and issue a new card, the bank later took back the refund based on a 'delivery confirmation' from the scammers.
  • After disputes and the case gaining media attention, Westpac refunded Malcher a second time and apologised.
  • Malcher emphasised a need for caution with unknown buyers online and raised concerns over more vulnerable individuals who might fall victim to similar scams.

Members, do you have any tips or stories about similar scams? Share them in the comments below!
I’m happy it all worked out for her, but there’s hundreds out there still waiting that probably won’t get that same outcome 😟 It’s just really sad that we can’t trust people anymore, and some of the things we want are not sold in Australia so we either go without or take that chance and risk losing our money 💸

Take responsibility for your own stupidity - it’s not your bank’s fault and there is no obligation for them to compensate you, that’s my take on things. JUST DON’T GIVE YOUR ACCOUNT DETAILS TO ANYONE OVER THE PHONE OR ON THE INTERNET EVER, EVER, EVER.

If a person does not front up in person with cash I don't do any business with them. I never give my account details out to anyone.
Me neither. Recently sold bed & mattress for cash, buyer came along with cash, paid & left with the goods. Next day I realised none of our family have double beds, so I called the buyer and gave him a few sets of sheets without cost. His teenage son was leaving home, I asked son to try out bed before buying, & he was happy. Ultimately we got rid of extra bed & gave away sheets as well.

View attachment 32796

Key Takeaways

Just don't give anyone your details! I had a similar situation, however My Credit Union were straight on to it and contacted me via telephone & saved the Day. Waiting on a new card was the hard part BUT The Scammers Got NOTHING... Westpac waited until The Media Unveiled Their Customers Problem Not Good Enough & Heart Breaking For Her. NOT GOOD ENOUGH Westpac👎🏿

View attachment 32796

Key Takeaways

We got done a quite few years ago now with my husband selling a camera and if I remeber correctly the bank involved was Westpac. We told them they had scammers using their bank for fraudulent use and they did nothing about it. We just this weekend had a scammer trying to get us to do the same thing with my husband selling a guitar. Within 5 minutes of the ad going live we had a guy saying he was interested and 'I prefer opting for a logistics company as I am not located nearby. Are you familiar with Aussie Post enterprise? If not, I can provide you with information.' My husband immediately called him out as a scammer and we heard no more from him.

What difference does it make to the story, that the victim was a pensioner?
Pensioners still have brains. aged pensioner is referring to someone who worked hard and are receiving a benefit (earned) from the government.
Pensioner does not mean brain dead and decrepit as many stories infer. People need to stop and think before they dive in.

Reactions: greencactus
So sorry for what happened to you but never ever give any other person your bank details no matter what they say. We learnt that lesson the hard way I paid for a mobility scooter and even got a tracking number and once money was taken found a message with a bloke walking along a cliff edge and laughing saying you have been scammed and couldn't get our money back never trust anyone who wants money first as I say to them meet up or don't bother. Terrible hard lesson so sorry
But what has that got to do with anyone giving out bank details? Surely you paid their bank? I don't see the need for them to request your bank details; in fact, you don't mention that. You got scammed, that's it.

Funny thing to do in my opinion. She would only need to give her account number so they could pay the money into it surely? Why give the bankcard details?
This is the mystery part for me too, I have had people pay for things simply using BSB and Account Number without any problems. More details needed, or can someone explain in depth, thanks.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Yes!
and on the tv too, there are always stories like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×