Baked Eggplant & Ricotta rolls

This is a recipe I make, where even those who don't like eggplant love it.

Can be used as a main course or a side dish .

When I have large family gatherings I use this as a side and within minutes it is gone.
images.jpeg-65.jpg

Ingredients

2 Large Eggplants roughly 500g
1/3 cup of olive oil
2 cups of passata
250g ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese either fresh grated or dried e
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley finely chopped plus extra to serve
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Salt n pepper 1/2 teaspoon

Method :
Preheat oven to 180 deg cel

1. Cut Eggplants length ways about 1cm thick.
Then place on a tray and lightly salt and leave for 20 minutes

2. Wipe the Eggplants using a paper towel , heat 1/2 the oil in frypan and add eggplant in batches.
Adding remaining oil as needed. Keep turning eggplant rather than adding more oil.
As they are cooked place on a plate lined with paper towel. Its ok to stack on top of each other

3. In a bowl add , ricotta, 1/2 parmesan, mozzarella and 1/2 the parsley and a good twist of pepper n salt and mix together

4. Spread half the passata in base of a medium oven pan.

5. Place tablespoons of ricotta mixture in the centre end of eggplant and roll Up firmly then place in oven pan on top of passata , continue until all eggplant is used . Pour remaining Passata over top of Eggplants

6. Combine remaining parmesan, parsley and breadcrumbs and scatter on top of eggplant and passata

7. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes

8. Sprinkle extra parsley ( optional) on top. Serve either hot or at room temperature

Last edited:
Sponsored
This is a recipe I make where even those who don't like eggplant loves it.

When I have large family gatherings I use this as a side and within minutes it is gone.
View attachment 17553

Ingredients

1/3 cup of olive oil
2 cups of passata
250g ricotta cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Method :

2. Wipe the Eggplants using a paper towel , heat 1/2 the oil in frypan and add eggplant in batches.
Adding remaining oil as needed. Keep turning eggplant rather than adding more oil.
As they are cooked place on a plate lined with paper towel. Its ok to stack on top of each other

3. In a bowl add , ricotta, 1/2 parmesan, mozzarella and 1/2 the parsley and a good twist of pepper n salt and mix together

5. Place tablespoons of ricotta mixture in the centre end of eggplant and roll Up firmly then place in oven pan on top of passata , continue until all eggplant is used . Pour remaining Passata over top of Eggplants

6. Combine remaining parmesan, parsley and breadcrumbs and scatter on top of eggplant and passata

7. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes

8. Sprinkle extra parsley ( optional) on top. Serve either hot or at room temperature
Eggplant and cheese --- how delicious! :D

Reactions: Chul
I experimented yesterday, I made homemade bread rolls and added Haloumi cheese in the middle to half of them and with the other half I added thin sliced Haloumi and sliced olives on top. Guess they were a hits they were all gone within an hour
I'm team cheese on this one, but let's be honest: I would've eaten the ones with olives in a heartbeat! 😆

I'm team cheese on this one, but let's be honest: I would've eaten the ones with olives in a heartbeat! 😆
I've just made pizza dough and it is on irs first rise. My daughter just came in and asked ' what's the dough for , please tell me it's for those rolls ' my pizza is just as good. My diet starts tomorrow 😩

This is a recipe I make, where even those who don't like eggplant love it.

View attachment 29512

Ingredients

1/3 cup of olive oil
2 cups of passata
250g ricotta cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Method :

I make this with zucchini (raw) also very nice and a bit quicker- but the eggplant sounds lovely too!

Reactions: Suzanne rose