Baby suffers severe burns after man's heinous crime at park

Content Warning: This article mentions topics involving infant violence, which may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

In a harrowing event that has left a Brisbane community reeling, a family's peaceful day out at Hanlon Park in Coorparoo turned into a nightmare when an unthinkable act of violence occurred.

A nine-month-old baby boy, enjoying the simple pleasures of a picnic with his family, became the victim of a random and brutal attack that shocked residents and raised serious concerns about public safety.

The incident unfolded around midday on 28 August Tuesday, when a man, without any apparent provocation, approached the family and poured boiling coffee over the infant.

The screams of the helpless mother, desperate for help, pierced the tranquillity of the park as she witnessed her baby suffering from severe burns.

1724806414572.png
A Nine-month-old boy burned 60 per cent of his body after a man poured hot coffee at Hanlon Park, Brisbane. Credit: TODAY / YouTube

An off-duty nurse living nearby was alerted to the chaos by the distressing cries.

She looked out from her balcony to see the distraught mother crying out, 'My baby, my baby.' Without hesitation, the nurse sprang into action, rushing to the scene to provide immediate assistance.

She discovered the baby boy with burns covering a staggering 60 per cent of his body, a sight that would unsettle even the most seasoned medical professionals.

The nurse's quick thinking led her to bring the injured child to her apartment, where she administered first aid by placing him under a cold shower to mitigate the burns.

This prompt response was crucial in initially treating the baby's injuries.

Paramedics soon arrived and rushed the boy to the Queensland Children's Hospital.

There, he received urgent medical attention for burns to his face, upper body, and arms.

Upon hearing of the attack, the local community expressed their horror and disbelief that such an act could occur in their midst.

'It's really scary when you think that we haven't got a community that looks after our young and vulnerable,' lamented one resident.

The sense of safety and trust that is the bedrock of any community had been shaken to its core.

The Queensland Police Child Protection and Investigation Unit has taken up the case, delving into the details of the attack and determinedly pursuing the perpetrator.

Police are combing through CCTV footage from the walking track to identify the man responsible for this heinous act.

They urge anyone with information to come forward and assist in bringing justice to the young victim and his family.

In other news, Melbourne mother Vanessa Pouthier suffered severe burns when her hot water bottle burst on her lap, resulting in surgeries and ICU care.

Burns clinical nurse Mel Neely from The Alfred revealed that the hospital treats at least 50 cases of hot water bottle burns each year, which can cause permanent scarring. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A nine-month-old boy suffered burns to 60 per cent of his body after a man poured hot coffee on him at Hanlon Park in Coorparoo, Brisbane.
  • The baby was with his family at a picnic when the assault occurred, leading to an off-duty nurse providing immediate assistance.
  • The child was rushed to the Queensland Children’s Hospital for treatment of burns to his face, upper body, and arms.
  • The Queensland Police Child Protection and Investigation Unit is investigating the incident, and police are calling for anyone with information to come forward.
We extend our heartfelt thoughts to the family of the baby boy and commend the bravery of the nurse and first responders.

Sponsored
What is this world coming to when babies are not safe !!
Violence seems to have become the norm and young people are becoming immune to it with so many violent video games and violent movies shown these days.
It's become a horrible world we live in.😡

What a dog act to do to an innocent baby that can’t even defend himself praying he doesn’t suffer and never remembers the pain he’s going through 🩵❤️💚
Also praying they catch the mongrel that did this to him his day is coming!!!

When l seen the report of this beautiful little baby boy on the news last night l had goose bumps l was absolutely shattered. The poor little darling and his devastated mummy. I cannot begin to understand why anyone would do such a dreadful thing to an innocent helpless child.
What is going on with our world? A mother sitting in the park with her baby enjoying themselves not hurting anyone.
Now this little darling will be scarred for life. His mother will be mentally scarred for life. And most likely won't leave the house for fear of her baby being harmed.
I truly hope this cowered gets the full force of the law brought down on him. He should be locked away for the rest of his life. Sadly we know that won't happen.
My love and best wishes go out to this family l wish this beautiful baby a very speedy recovery.

Kind regards to all Vicki

I really hope they catch him, and put him in a cell that has cells with open doors and other inmates.........
That won't happen ( it should though) he will be in a protected area with A/C , comfy bed & 3 meals a day. WHY is beyond me. He deserves nothing. That little baby is scarred for life
Bring back the death penalty. It may produce a better & safer world for us all to live in.

When l seen the report of this beautiful little baby boy on the news last night l had goose bumps l was absolutely shattered. The poor little darling and his devastated mummy. I cannot begin to understand why anyone would do such a dreadful thing to an innocent helpless child.
What is going on with our world? A mother sitting in the park with her baby enjoying themselves not hurting anyone.
Now this little darling will be scarred for life. His mother will be mentally scarred for life. And most likely won't leave the house for fear of her baby being harmed.
I truly hope this cowered gets the full force of the law brought down on him. He should be locked away for the rest of his life. Sadly we know that won't happen.
My love and best wishes go out to this family l wish this beautiful baby a very speedy recovery.

Kind regards to all Vicki
Well said Bella. I felt exactly the same when I saw it on the news last night. Two minutes and an urn of boiling coffee with the man in question is what he deserves, and this thought amazes me as I used to be against any form of violence or retaliation. Don’t know what’s happened to me. 😇

It’s been all over the news here ! That poor little boy has already been operated on and will take a long time to recover from his burns.
What is wrong with this world when a sicko would do this to a helpless baby. I hope they catch him very soon and lock him away for life ……. Some hope! Cut his hands off so he can’t do it again.
That poor mother says she won’t be game to ever take the baby out again without having a panic attack, and is haunted by her sons screams of pain.

Well said Bella. I felt exactly the same when I saw it on the news last night. Two minutes and an urn of boiling coffee with the man in question is what he deserves, and this thought amazes me as I used to be against any form of violence or retaliation. Don’t know what’s happened to me. 😇
Darling Pattie B, these sort of crimes make us think of things that we are not capable of.
It is the anger 🤬 and the fact that us good humans would never do anything so heinous.
Just send positive healing thoughts to this darling baby.
Love Vicki

Violence seems to have become the norm and young people are becoming immune to it with so many violent video games and violent movies shown these days.
Umm....the CCTV footage shows what may be a Oriental male in their 40s. Why immediately blame young people for every misdemeanor that happens? Same goes for road trauma statistics. I'm sick of hearing young people are responsible for everything bad that happens!

Umm....the CCTV footage shows what may be a Oriental male in their 40s. Why immediately blame young people for every misdemeanor that happens? Same goes for road trauma statistics. I'm sick of hearing young people are responsible for everything bad that happens!
Here's your evidence. Courtesy of ABC News.

132ea045c3ad89c7be42e3e4b4efbdf4.jpg

My son and daughter-in-law live very close to Hanlon Park, Greenslopes and we often meet them and our 3 grandchildren there for a play and get-together. Lovely park and playground, but never thought anything like this would happen there. My thoughts are with the family and the baby boy.

Poor little soul burns are so painful and leave horrible scars.My late husband was an engineer and a friend asked him to service an industrial oil burner and it blew up .He was critical his face was twice the size and he had one eye closed.All his arms and chest were burnt.He was left with burn welts on both arms which took years to heal .He said it was so painful l hope the poor baby recovers and this sick guy gets his comeuppanse