Baa baa black sheep 'cancelled': Have nursery rhymes been overly sanitised?

A recent discussion on an Australian forum, Whirlpool, has brought to light the issue of whether or not nursery rhymes have been ‘sanitised’ to the point of being boring.

The original poster claimed to have found a book of nursery rhymes from 50 years ago, and that the same songs printed today are much less interesting. They provided the example of “There was an old woman who lived in a shoe”, which they said has been changed from “She fed them some broth, without any bread, and whipped them all soundly and put them to bed” to “She fed them some broth, and plenty of bread, then kissed them all sweetly and put them to bed”.

Some people commenting agreed that the older version is more interesting and that by sanitising these classic songs they lose their humour, entertainment value, and even the lessons they often try to impart: “That original kinda had a moral, that if you had too many kids then you wouldn't be able to look after them properly and they would inevitably be treated poorly.”

Others disagreed, arguing that the older versions are often violent or offensive, and that it is better to err on the side of caution when it comes to children’s content.

One commenter said that the change instituted at some kindergartens from “baa baa black sheep” to “baa baa rainbow sheep” is an example of political correctness gone too far, as it spoils the poetic rhythm and dumbs the song down.
baa baa blacksheep.jpeg
In the case of baa baa black sheep, the controversy began in the 1980s and 1990s
when a few parents in the United Kingdom complained that their children
were being taught a song that alluded to slavery.
Credits: 1901 edition of Mother Goose

“10 years ago when I first used child care baa baa black sheep was banned because they said it was racist.

Better hide that book, it's probably been cancelled already.”

"Mother Goose" was also mentioned, with one person arguing that the original version of “Old Mother Goose and the Golden Egg” is anti-Semitic, as it features a Jewish character who is described as a “rogue” and a “villain”.

Another said that they are glad they grew up before political correctness “stifled” free speech and free thinking.

"I find it hard to admit that I'm now on the wrong side of three score and ten years old, but I am really glad that I lived my childhood when I did, in the time when all this silly "correctness" didn't exist. I was brought up listening to and learning all those old nursery rhymes and fairy tales that you now condemn. They had no ill effects on me or my brothers, my mother wasn't mad, she never whipped us, nobody took offence at the rhymes, nobody considered them violent. and nobody considered them representative of real life," said one commenter.

Another respondent mentioned Enid Blyton's books, which they said were also 'cleaned' and 'modernised' for today's readers.

But with the original versions of these classic nursery rhymes often containing violence, racism, or offensive language, do they still have a place in today's society, or have they been rightfully ‘cleaned up’?

One user felt the issue was overblown. "I think it's easy to put the silliest examples of political correctness (the baa baa example is stupid if true) in with genuine attempts to make content safer for children. A lot of old stories, nursery rhymes, songs and other material contains really offensive, racist, violent content that you'd be mad to expose a child to now that we know how harmful it is to their development. Of course, it's a scale and that balancing act is up to parents to decide," they said.

What do you think? Have nursery rhymes been sanitised to the point of being boring, or is it better to err on the side of caution? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored

A recent discussion on an Australian forum, Whirlpool, has brought to light the issue of whether or not nursery rhymes have been ‘sanitised’ to the point of being boring.

The original poster claimed to have found a book of nursery rhymes from 50 years ago, and that the same songs printed today are much less interesting. They provided the example of “There was an old woman who lived in a shoe”, which they said has been changed from “She fed them some broth, without any bread, and whipped them all soundly and put them to bed” to “She fed them some broth, and plenty of bread, then kissed them all sweetly and put them to bed”.

Some people commenting agreed that the older version is more interesting and that by sanitising these classic songs they lose their humour, entertainment value, and even the lessons they often try to impart: “That original kinda had a moral, that if you had too many kids then you wouldn't be able to look after them properly and they would inevitably be treated poorly.”

Others disagreed, arguing that the older versions are often violent or offensive, and that it is better to err on the side of caution when it comes to children’s content.

One commenter said that the change instituted at some kindergartens from “baa baa black sheep” to “baa baa rainbow sheep” is an example of political correctness gone too far, as it spoils the poetic rhythm and dumbs the song down.

View attachment 3210
In the case of baa baa black sheep, the controversy began in the 1980s and 1990s

“10 years ago when I first used child care baa baa black sheep was banned because they said it was racist.

"Mother Goose" was also mentioned, with one person arguing that the original version of “Old Mother Goose and the Golden Egg” is anti-Semitic, as it features a Jewish character who is described as a “rogue” and a “villain”.

Another said that they are glad they grew up before political correctness “stifled” free speech and free thinking.

"I find it hard to admit that I'm now on the wrong side of three score and ten years old, but I am really glad that I lived my childhood when I did, in the time when all this silly "correctness" didn't exist. I was brought up listening to and learning all those old nursery rhymes and fairy tales that you now condemn. They had no ill effects on me or my brothers, my mother wasn't mad, she never whipped us, nobody took offence at the rhymes, nobody considered them violent. and nobody considered them representative of real life," said one commenter.

Another respondent mentioned Enid Blyton's books, which they said were also 'cleaned' and 'modernised' for today's readers.

But with the original versions of these classic nursery rhymes often containing violence, racism, or offensive language, do they still have a place in today's society, or have they been rightfully ‘cleaned up’?

One user felt the issue was overblown. "I think it's easy to put the silliest examples of political correctness (the baa baa example is stupid if true) in with genuine attempts to make content safer for children. A lot of old stories, nursery rhymes, songs and other material contains really offensive, racist, violent content that you'd be mad to expose a child to now that we know how harmful it is to their development. Of course, it's a scale and that balancing act is up to parents to decide," they said.

What do you think? Have nursery rhymes been sanitised to the point of being boring, or is it better to err on the side of caution? Let us know in the comments.

Of course some lines in nursery rhymes don’t fit in with today’s society trying to eradicate any form of violence especially re: children. Kids are being brought up softly softly and are not being equipped to deal with what can be realities in life. BUT banning Baa Baa Black Sheep is a disgrace. It is a Black Sheep, black is black not blue nor rainbow. It is what it is and that is taking too far🤦🏻‍♀️

View attachment 3210

This world we live in is becoming to politically correct. Sad when valuable lessons within nursery rhymes are being removed. No wonder kids these days are so soft and feel that they are entitled to everything without the hard work required to deserve it.
Cheers Buck

A sheep's wool is either white, brown or black, depending on the breed. How a natural coloured sheep's wool could be rainbow coloured is beyond me, I don't think a farmer is going to dye the sheep's wool before they shear them. People are taking things a little to far to teach a child political correctness. It doesn't take a lot to explain what's right and wrong. Just explain to the child, then tell them you are always there to answer any questions that they may have. Explain that if you don't know, the two of you will find the answer together. Learn from the past don't sanitise it.

View attachment 3210

I grew up with all the Nursery Rhymes, I am 71. I loved them and sang them to my children. But unfortunately now children are told too much about life in these times that they understand more than we did. We just thought they were funny.

View attachment 3210

So what is it going to be....Baa Baa neutral colour sheep. What bunch of little pansies thought up this mess. I think they are doing more damage than if they just left it all alone.

Anyone who knows anything about farming will know that farmers put different coloured blocks on the chest of the ram. That way, during tupping time, they know which ram mated with which ewe.

The only way to get a rainbow sheep is if the ewe is a bit of a slut. Alternatively, if it's a ram, he's a bit gay.

Shows how stupid this whole debate about rainbow sheep is.

View attachment 3210

how stupid it is about a black sheep, not a person.

View attachment 3210

Not only nursery rhymes, but the complete English Language, has been bastardised by a bunch of complete self-serving a##eholes

View attachment 3210

Bloody pathetic politically correct garbage they don't want kid's to enjoy sing of anything these day's the fruitloop are in control

OMG, How stupid can people get? At my great age I have seen many sheep and I'm pretty sure not one of them was rainbow coloured! Surely this would just confuse kids if they were taken out to the country and couldn't find a rainbow sheep. Lets just keep things real folk, Millions and millions of people were brought up on these rhymes and stories and none of us equated them to the things these do gooders are intimating. I think maybe they are the ones with warped minds.:rolleyes::rolleyes:These people would be spinning if they heard half the stories we used to tell our kids!!:D