Avoiding the ‘big problem’: Experts consider tougher driver’s licence rules for caravans

Australia has seen a boom in caravan ownership, making them an increasingly common sight on the country's highways.

In response to a growing trend of road accidents involving caravans on roads, the powers that be are mulling over the idea of introducing tougher licensing rules.

This, they believe, could potentially make our roads safer. And the proposition is being hailed by road safety experts across the country.

According to the Caravan Industry Association of Australia, the trend began following the COVID-19 pandemic and seemed to continue unabated amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

For some, caravans offer a temporary but cost-effective solution to housing. For others, particularly seniors embracing the 'grey nomad' lifestyle, it's a unique opportunity to explore the country on their own terms.

evgenia-stergioula-5JCg1hIujaY-unsplash.jpg
Experts are now considering tougher licensing rules for caravans. Credit: Unsplash

However, with the rise in caravan ownership comes an alarming trend–an increase in road accidents involving vehicles towing these mobile homes.

In Queensland alone, from 2017 to 2021, accidents relating to cars towing trailers or vans have resulted in almost 1,000 hospitalisations and 50 fatalities, according to Queensland government statistics.

Joel Tucker, Road Safety Manager at Queensland's Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ), ‘strongly supports caravan owners doing more training’ before hitting the road.

Tony Maddison, director of WiTi, a towing technology company, echoes these sentiments.

Maddison warned against the dangers of 'overweight and unstable caravans', citing them as a significant problem in Australia.

‘In most cases, drivers only need their car licence, and they can hitch up three tonnes or more of caravan and take it out on the roads with no training whatsoever… which is just crazy,’ he said.

Demanding more required training isn't an outlandish request, it's a prudent one, as Road Safety Expert from the University of New South Wales Raphael Grzebieta underlined.

He said that ‘driving a caravan is like driving an articulated vehicle (semi-trailer vehicles)’, so his assessment is that extra training and licencing should be mandatory.

‘Folks towing a caravan need additional training if the caravan is above a certain load. It’s not like towing a small trailer,’ he stated.

Natalie Watson-Brown, whose research revolved around road safety and education at Queensland’s University of Technology, agreed that more data needs to be collated to substantiate the theory that caravans disproportionately contribute to road accidents.

However, she is all for additional training, particularly owing to the diverse and complex environments caravan drivers operate in—ranging from unsealed, narrow and high-speed roads to congested, slower-speed ones.

‘So if some of these factors are contributing to their crashes, then that needs to be important in their training and… testing before they get their licence,’ she said.

Watson-Brown suggested that streamlining the licensing processes across Australia would possibly ‘make things easier’ for those travelling interstate, as licensing as a state-by-state decision has proven ‘challenging’.

However, she said that 'the skills that make you a safer driver are not necessarily your vehicle control skills'.

‘I guess that's where everyone's going with the people that tow caravans, that potentially they need to upskill in their ability to tow the caravan.’

‘Maybe it's an attitude change, so maybe it's having an awareness and understanding of things like they do on a long drive, so maybe they need to understand more about fatigue and how that affects the way that they're driving, or maybe they need to self regulate,’ she added.

What’s with the allure of adopting a ‘grey nomad’ lifestyle?

Take the case of this couple who sold their property and ventured full-time around the country.

There was some hesitance on their end at first, but they later relished living in a caravan and enjoying the nomadic lifestyle. You can read more about their story here.
Key Takeaways
  • There is a call for tougher licensing rules for Australian drivers towing caravans due to a rise in road accidents.
  • Experts suggested that additional training or a special licence should be mandatory for caravan towing.
  • The Caravan Industry Association of Australia noted a surge in caravan ownership post-coronavirus pandemic.
  • Licensing for towing is currently a state decision, with talks of streamlining the process nationally.
Do you feel a special licence is necessary for drivers towing caravans, or is extra training enough? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Sounds like a great idea.

But how it would be implemented might be a problem.

Presumably there will have to be an approved training program and a driving test, which training schools and testers will need to be qualified to run.

Driver training schools are already struggling to find staff and licensing centres are very busy.

That would make it difficult to implement swiftly, but excessive delay could result in claims of liability if accidents occur in the meantime.

How will the existing grey nomads be treated? Can they use their years of experience to get the new licence, or will they be required to take the approved course and test regardless.

If the latter, delay in getting the training or test could effectively make them homeless or force them into a caravan park contract until they are licensed... which many cannot afford.

If grey nomads can use their experience, without training and testing, will younger people get recognition for their experiences, if they have any, and how?

Reactions: DLHM
And this is not common sense?
You don't have to be an "expert" to understand that towing a caravan needs extra training,and should require testing and licencing before being allowed on the open roads.
Gee,it's not rocket science!!

And this is not common sense?
You don't have to be an "expert" to understand that towing a caravan needs extra training,and should require testing and licencing before being allowed on the open roads.
Gee,it's not rocket science!!
Anecdotal evidence and common knowledge don't get things done. Expensive consulting firms must be paid to come up with the same ideas.

More training ,yes, but I'll bet it's another revenue raising tactic by our shite government, stop sending money overseas and we will have enough for Aussies to get by.

Reactions: LeahI
People definitely need to demonstrate that they know the dangers that can arise with towing caravans and how to avoid them. I have seen for myself how a caravan, gone haywire, can overturn a vehicle. We need a special licence to drive a semi-trailer. A caravan is no different.

Reactions: Annna
Maybe a training session at the point of new van sales should be compulsory. 2nd hand van owners need to be sent to training before rego change over. As everyone has said it still won't stop idiot drivers behind the car wheel.
Idiots are idiots the world over. Look at the stats on car accidents and the causes of those.

The idea of driver training for caravans is to at least try to teach the uneducated how they should handle the vehicle when towing a van.

Having a car licence doesn’t stop accidents. How will a caravan licence stop accidents ?? It will be revenue raising excise. How would it be implemented ? It’s an idea not thought through.
It all revolves around the holy $$$$

I agree with mant sentiments. We are heavily monitored & regulated already .. The Nrma should maybe have a Program for over 60\s to at least get an update on towing. We all should have lessons but once again the cost comes into it. For safety sakme I do believe that the government Federal or state should sort out discounted training. Remembering the cost of Hospital Medicare is so high. The government could maybe save on hospital visits Ambulance etc> I am 81 and w2ould seriously think twice about a large caravan. Not too sure without training if I could in true honesty cope.
My Thoughts
Bob

Reactions: Macarj
I have always thought this when I was teaching my sons to drive I asked the DMV if I could teach him towing a trailer they said no a learning isn't allowed to tow a trailer so I said to him so when he passes his driving test he can then tow a trailer without any experience the guy said yes how ridiculous is that

Even with a simple box trailer you have to make sure weight in the trailer is distributed evenly even a few kilo on one side can cause problems towing

Having a car licence doesn’t stop accidents. How will a caravan licence stop accidents ?? It will be revenue raising excise. How would it be implemented ? It’s an idea not thought through.
I agree with you that having a car licence does not stop accidents except that cars without a towing load can travel much faster and more than likely a great percentage of the time it is this fast travel that is the cause of an accident and so many deaths.

Seems you think you know everything about loading a caravan (properly)! I have seen so many of them with either front or rear down lower than the tow bar and car (obviously either over loaded or weight not properly distributed within the van). It should always be a LEVEL van and every van AND CAR has a load and towing load capacity that MUST be observed. This means both car and van should never be overloaded. The car’s axle also has a maximum towing capacity and that is for towing anything - trailer or caravan. And I speak as a woman with common sense.

Yes, this does need a lot of further consideration by the laws that be - it is not about revenue raising, as you say. There has probably been extensive consideration already put into this announcement that we are not privy to. It is about saving lives. With an attitude like yours, I hope you don’t tow a caravan. Education, education, education is the ultimate goal of the proposal with those not compliant with and passing a caravan towing test being denied a license.

Someone mentioned new drivers. Many years ago while teaching our eldest to drive, we were towing a small trailer to go camping. We were stopped by a lovely police officer and advised a learner was not allowed to drive a vehicle whilst towing. Well how are they going learn then? We had no idea. Never saw any info about it anywhere in the learning material.
LEARNERS are not allowed to tow - get a full licence THEN learn to tow. That is how.

My family are all licensed Road train operators except me and I would never try to tow a caravan. What I do believe though is there should be a license for others that do not have a license that covers any vehicle. The picture above is not a towed vehicle and depending on the size may be covered by the car license but bigger Campervans should need a different license
The van in that picture should require a light rigid license.

I agree with you that having a car licence does not stop accidents except that cars without a towing load can travel much faster and more than likely a great percentage of the time it is this fast travel that is the cause of an accident and so many deaths.

Seems you think you know everything about loading a caravan (properly)! I have seen so many of them with either front or rear down lower than the tow bar and car (obviously either over loaded or weight not properly distributed within the van). It should always be a LEVEL van and every van AND CAR has a load and towing load capacity that MUST be observed. This means both car and van should never be overloaded. The car’s axle also has a maximum towing capacity and that is for towing anything - trailer or caravan. And I speak as a woman with common sense.

Yes, this does need a lot of further consideration by the laws that be - it is not about revenue raising, as you say. There has probably been extensive consideration already put into this announcement that we are not privy to. It is about saving lives. With an attitude like yours, I hope you don’t tow a caravan. Education, education, education is the ultimate goal of the proposal with those not compliant with and passing a caravan towing test being denied a license.
Well said.

'the skills that make you a safer driver are not necessarily your vehicle control skills'.

Absolutely correct. They include reading a car's body language and reading the road as far ahead as is possible. Try riding a motor-bike for a couple of years; if you are still alive and unbruised then it means that either you can read the road and other peoples' intentions or you have been lucky enough to bounce along the road without too much damage to your bones and brain.

The van in that picture should require a light rigid license.
Did I miss something, Jennie? What van are you talking about? I’m not being rude, just that I seem to have missed the ‘van in that picture’ that you mention. If it is the van set up as a camper I believe it is only a sample picture for us.

When towing a van one also needs to be particularly aware of speed. One small swerve, and it only needs one TINY SWERVE or distraction to put the vehicle and van into an uncontrollable collision. Wind hitting the van from the side is also a contributing factor for accidents. We have had many a van towed by big 4-wheel drive cars overtake us. In my opinion a caravan should be driven at a safe speed - what’s the big hurry to get from A to B; after all aren’t the occupants in that vehicle most often on a holiday?