Avoid this simple mistake that could cost you $300 on your holiday!

We all know that travelling may be a bit costly, but it’s alarming how one easy mistake can add up to expensive fines when travelling in Europe.

Travel blogger Alaya Hablo recently shared on social media a warning about this common tourist trap in Europe, which has been viewed over 1.8 million times.

photo 1 (1).jpg
Train and bus tickets need to be validated in Italy, or else travellers may face hefty fines. Image source: Freepik.

'Always validate your train and bus tickets in Italy!' wrote Ms Hablo.

'I’ve seen so many clueless tourists who had to pay a lot because they didn't know about ticket validation.'

Here’s what you need to know–after buying bus or train tickets in Italy, missing an extra step with a tiny yellow machine could land tourists a hefty $300 fine.

This machine adds a stamp to your paper ticket, which will then validate it. If you have purchased your ticket online, then there is no need to use the machine.

photo (9).jpg
Bus and train tickets can be validated using the yellow machine found in ticket counters. Image source: TikTok/@laturistafilipina.

Ms Hablo shared that two couples paid a 'big fine' on their train journey from Milan to Lake Como because they didn’t know they had to validate their tickets. And in Rome, she saw about ten tourists be told they would need to pay a fine on just one bus ride.

Italia Rail explains that when travelling with Trenitalia (Italy’s largest train operator), regional tickets purchased at the station must be validated before boarding, or this could result in a fine of up to 200 euros–about $337 AUD. Tickets purchased online, however, already come with reserved dates and time slots and do not need to be validated.

Fellow travellers were shocked to discover that they could be fined even after paying for a ticket.

‘Imagine your ticket not being valid after you buy it. Such a tourist trap,’ one said.

‘It’s a tourist trap, even the cities do it. It happened to us in Paris, we validated our tickets but left a certain zone. Had to pay (a) 70 euro ($118 AUD) fine,’ another shared.

While a third said: ‘Just left Rome and got stuck with a 54 euro ($91 AUD) fine and some rude cops to deal with! Definitely put a damper on the trip, wasn’t tourist friendly.’

‘Can confirm, did not validate my ticket and was charged 40 euros ($67 AUD),’ another confirmed.

And a fifth shared: ‘My daughter and I got bagged in Cinque Terre last summer–50 euros ($84 AUD).’

One traveller shared the huge fine they were given during a travel in Germany: “Happened to me on a train in Munich. I had to pay over 100 euros ($169 AUD).”

You can watch Alaya’s full video below:

It’s also not just Italy where this rule applies–other countries throughout Europe use the same system.

Two other users shared valuable tips that when the machines run out of ink, the passenger will be the one to write the date, time, and station with a pen.

‘Don’t forget the format is DD/MM/YY,’ one specified.

Some Europeans were puzzled over the fuss, and one asked: ‘That’s funny to me because it’s the same in my country and most European countries.’

‘How does transport work in your country?’ they added.

Ms Hablo replied and explained the confusion as some tourists are used to using transport cards that are topped up with funds as needed.
Key Takeaways

• Not knowing about validating bus and train tickets can cost tourists a $300 fine in Italy and elsewhere in Europe.
  • A viral TikTok video informed viewers about this frequently overlooked step for travelling in Italy.
  • Travel blogger Alaya Hablo stated yellow validation machines are often missed by tourists, resulting in fines.
  • Some travellers have criticised this system as a 'tourist trap', as it is uncommon in other countries.
Members, if you’re planning a European holiday in the near future, please heed Ms Alaya’s advice and remember to validate your tickets.

And not just in Europe! If you’re travelling and using public transport in other countries, check to make sure you know how the ticket validation system works. Safe travels, dear members!

Have you ever heard of such a step? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Tipsy
Sponsored
We all know that travelling may be a bit costly, but it’s alarming how one easy mistake can add up to expensive fines when travelling in Europe.

Travel blogger Alaya Hablo recently shared on social media a warning about this common tourist trap in Europe, which has been viewed over 1.8 million times.

View attachment 29191
Train and bus tickets need to be validated in Italy, or else travellers may face hefty fines. Image source: Freepik.

'Always validate your train and bus tickets in Italy!' wrote Ms Hablo.

'I’ve seen so many clueless tourists who had to pay a lot because they didn't know about ticket validation.'

Here’s what you need to know–after buying bus or train tickets in Italy, missing an extra step with a tiny yellow machine could land tourists a hefty $300 fine.

This machine adds a stamp to your paper ticket, which will then validate it. If you have purchased your ticket online, then there is no need to use the machine.

View attachment 29192
Bus and train tickets can be validated using the yellow machine found in ticket counters. Image source: TikTok/@laturistafilipina.

Ms Hablo shared that two couples paid a 'big fine' on their train journey from Milan to Lake Como because they didn’t know they had to validate their tickets. And in Rome, she saw about ten tourists be told they would need to pay a fine on just one bus ride.

Italia Rail explains that when travelling with Trenitalia (Italy’s largest train operator), regional tickets purchased at the station must be validated before boarding, or this could result in a fine of up to 200 euros–about $337 AUD. Tickets purchased online, however, already come with reserved dates and time slots and do not need to be validated.

Fellow travellers were shocked to discover that they could be fined even after paying for a ticket.

‘Imagine your ticket not being valid after you buy it. Such a tourist trap,’ one said.

‘It’s a tourist trap, even the cities do it. It happened to us in Paris, we validated our tickets but left a certain zone. Had to pay (a) 70 euro ($118 AUD) fine,’ another shared.

While a third said: ‘Just left Rome and got stuck with a 54 euro ($91 AUD) fine and some rude cops to deal with! Definitely put a damper on the trip, wasn’t tourist friendly.’

‘Can confirm, did not validate my ticket and was charged 40 euros ($67 AUD),’ another confirmed.

And a fifth shared: ‘My daughter and I got bagged in Cinque Terre last summer–50 euros ($84 AUD).’

One traveller shared the huge fine they were given during a travel in Germany: “Happened to me on a train in Munich. I had to pay over 100 euros ($169 AUD).”

You can watch Alaya’s full video below:

It’s also not just Italy where this rule applies–other countries throughout Europe use the same system.

Two other users shared valuable tips that when the machines run out of ink, the passenger will be the one to write the date, time, and station with a pen.

‘Don’t forget the format is DD/MM/YY,’ one specified.

Some Europeans were puzzled over the fuss, and one asked: ‘That’s funny to me because it’s the same in my country and most European countries.’

‘How does transport work in your country?’ they added.

Ms Hablo replied and explained the confusion as some tourists are used to using transport cards that are topped up with funds as needed.
Key Takeaways

• Not knowing about validating bus and train tickets can cost tourists a $300 fine in Italy and elsewhere in Europe.
  • A viral TikTok video informed viewers about this frequently overlooked step for travelling in Italy.
  • Travel blogger Alaya Hablo stated yellow validation machines are often missed by tourists, resulting in fines.
  • Some travellers have criticised this system as a 'tourist trap', as it is uncommon in other countries.
Members, if you’re planning a European holiday in the near future, please heed Ms Alaya’s advice and remember to validate your tickets.

And not just in Europe! If you’re travelling and using public transport in other countries, check to make sure you know how the ticket validation system works. Safe travels, dear members!

Have you ever heard of such a step? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sounds very much like rather big SCAM by this company, and I bet some politicians are in on it and getting a nice kickback