Avoid this costly mistake! How a Qantas booking glitch cost one angry customer $1500

In the ever-changing world of technology, online booking for flights has become a blessing. It's instant, hassle-free and done from the comfort of our homes. No need to visit a travel agent or spend time on lengthy phone calls. However, it's not always roses and rainbows, as one irate Aussie, Jocelyn Kellam, found out recently.

Navigating the virtual aisles of the Qantas website, Jocelyn, a 60-year-old deacon from the Anglican Church, had no inkling of the roller-coaster ride she was in for.

Originally, she thought she had found a great deal on a return flight from Sydney to London costing $3,491. Little did she know, this seemingly straightforward transaction would morph into a beast of a mistake that would leave her a whopping $1,500 extra out of pocket.

'I tried to book online for about a week and it always showed me a fare for $3,491,' she explained. Unfortunately, persistent technical errors thwarted all her attempts to confirm the booking online. Frustrating error messages met her at every turn.

compressed-732a33f0-3267-11ee-86f9-a039503d5f6a.jpeg
Qantas tried to charge an irate customer nearly $1500 more for a ticket after she was unable to book it online due to the website's technical issues. Source: Supplied / Yahoo News

Not one to shy away from a challenge and desperate to meet a friend, Jocelyn tackled the issue head-on by ringing Qantas' customer service hotline.

But just when she thought her troubles were over and she could confirm her booking over the phone, she was faced with an unexpected blow: the fare was now listed at a striking $5,034. Do the maths, and it equates to a hefty $1,543 differential.

'Whenever I went to check out, it wouldn't let me. I received an error message every time,' she shared, reflecting upon her ordeal. 'So finally I rang up the frequent flyer desk and asked for a consultant who confirmed the same seat was still available, but not at the website price.'

The consultant’s explanation? Booking over the phone always costs more–not exactly what you'd expect to hear after seeing the airline's price match guarantee quoted on its website!

'I just wanted them to match their website,' Jocelyn said, echoing the thoughts of many who have suffered the infuriating consequence of technical glitches combined with poor customer service.

Undeterred, she composed several emails to Qantas expressing her disapproval and requesting that they made things right, only to be met with a disparaging silence.

Fortunately, Jocelyn’s tenacious spirit paid dividends. Qantas eventually acknowledged their predicament, conceding that they had, indeed, overcharged her. Yahoo News reported a Qantas spokesperson assuring Ms Kellam will be contacted to process a refund of the excess fare she had paid. In addition, she would receive 100,000 frequent flyer points as an apology for the troubles she had to endure.

Key Takeaways
  • A frequent flyer named Jocelyn Kellam was overcharged $1,543 due to a technical error when booking her flight with Qantas online.
  • Ms Kellam experienced repeated error messages online and was forced to book via phone, where she was informed the fare would increase.
  • Even after contacting Qantas multiple times and pointing out their price match guarantee, Ms Kellam's concerns were initially disregarded.
  • Qantas has admitted their mistake, refunded the overcharged amount, and awarded Ms Kellam 100,000 frequent flyer points for her troubles.
Our valiant Jocelyn's story should be a startling reminder that digital conveniences are not always as convenient as they seem.

Jocelyn wanted to make sure other people didn’t encounter such an ordeal. 'If they're prepared to do that to me, what are they doing to other people,' she said, raising an important point about the need for diligence when dealing with online bookings.

If this story sounds familiar, that’s because it is. The same thing happened to a 61-year-old Aussie mum last March—and it left her stranded and short by $17,000.

Technological advances don’t always equate to seamless transactions, as depicted in Jocelyn’s unfortunate experience. Whether you’re doing online shopping or purchasing air tickets, always maintain a healthy level of scepticism and vigilance. Double-check all the information before you click 'confirm'. Follow up persistently in the face of an error, and most importantly, know your rights as a consumer.

The ACCC states that if ‘more than one price is displayed for an item, the business must charge the lowest price, or stop selling the item until the price is corrected.’ You can read more about it on the ACCC’s website.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we wish you safe travels and bother-free bookings!

Have you heard of or experienced any similar travel woes? How did it turn out? Tell us below!

Sponsored
I am still waiting for a refund from Singapore Airlines of $1250 out of an $1800 flight where I had an accident on the day of flying and ended up in hospital. Flight was 2 /5, agent applied to airline on 2/6, it’s now 8/8 and received nothing. Problem is Travel Insurance won’t pay out for full amount of tour, etc until refund is received. It seems like a long wait!

• Sad
Reactions: Cheezil
In the ever-changing world of technology, online booking for flights has become a blessing. It's instant, hassle-free and done from the comfort of our homes. No need to visit a travel agent or spend time on lengthy phone calls. However, it's not always roses and rainbows, as one irate Aussie, Jocelyn Kellam, found out recently.

Navigating the virtual aisles of the Qantas website, Jocelyn, a 60-year-old deacon from the Anglican Church, had no inkling of the roller-coaster ride she was in for.

Originally, she thought she had found a great deal on a return flight from Sydney to London costing $3,491. Little did she know, this seemingly straightforward transaction would morph into a beast of a mistake that would leave her a whopping $1,500 extra out of pocket.

'I tried to book online for about a week and it always showed me a fare for $3,491,' she explained. Unfortunately, persistent technical errors thwarted all her attempts to confirm the booking online. Frustrating error messages met her at every turn.

View attachment 26850
Qantas tried to charge an irate customer nearly $1500 more for a ticket after she was unable to book it online due to the website's technical issues. Source: Supplied / Yahoo News

Not one to shy away from a challenge and desperate to meet a friend, Jocelyn tackled the issue head-on by ringing Qantas' customer service hotline.

But just when she thought her troubles were over and she could confirm her booking over the phone, she was faced with an unexpected blow: the fare was now listed at a striking $5,034. Do the maths, and it equates to a hefty $1,543 differential.

'Whenever I went to check out, it wouldn't let me. I received an error message every time,' she shared, reflecting upon her ordeal. 'So finally I rang up the frequent flyer desk and asked for a consultant who confirmed the same seat was still available, but not at the website price.'

The consultant’s explanation? Booking over the phone always costs more–not exactly what you'd expect to hear after seeing the airline's price match guarantee quoted on its website!

'I just wanted them to match their website,' Jocelyn said, echoing the thoughts of many who have suffered the infuriating consequence of technical glitches combined with poor customer service.

Undeterred, she composed several emails to Qantas expressing her disapproval and requesting that they made things right, only to be met with a disparaging silence.

Fortunately, Jocelyn’s tenacious spirit paid dividends. Qantas eventually acknowledged their predicament, conceding that they had, indeed, overcharged her. Yahoo News reported a Qantas spokesperson assuring Ms Kellam will be contacted to process a refund of the excess fare she had paid. In addition, she would receive 100,000 frequent flyer points as an apology for the troubles she had to endure.

Key Takeaways

• A frequent flyer named Jocelyn Kellam was overcharged $1,543 due to a technical error when booking her flight with Qantas online.
  • Ms Kellam experienced repeated error messages online and was forced to book via phone, where she was informed the fare would increase.
  • Even after contacting Qantas multiple times and pointing out their price match guarantee, Ms Kellam's concerns were initially disregarded.
  • Qantas has admitted their mistake, refunded the overcharged amount, and awarded Ms Kellam 100,000 frequent flyer points for her troubles.
Our valiant Jocelyn's story should be a startling reminder that digital conveniences are not always as convenient as they seem.

Jocelyn wanted to make sure other people didn’t encounter such an ordeal. 'If they're prepared to do that to me, what are they doing to other people,' she said, raising an important point about the need for diligence when dealing with online bookings.

If this story sounds familiar, that’s because it is. The same thing happened to a 61-year-old Aussie mum last March—and it left her stranded and short by $17,000.

Technological advances don’t always equate to seamless transactions, as depicted in Jocelyn’s unfortunate experience. Whether you’re doing online shopping or purchasing air tickets, always maintain a healthy level of scepticism and vigilance. Double-check all the information before you click 'confirm'. Follow up persistently in the face of an error, and most importantly, know your rights as a consumer.

The ACCC states that if ‘more than one price is displayed for an item, the business must charge the lowest price, or stop selling the item until the price is corrected.’ You can read more about it on the ACCC’s website.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we wish you safe travels and bother-free bookings!

Have you heard of or experienced any similar travel woes? How did it turn out? Tell us below!

2 similar things happened to me when trying to book a return ticket to NZ.

The first…

I took out a travel insurance with Qantas and was advised online that If I take the travel insurance, I’ll get 2000 frequent flyer points.

So, after I paid for the travel insurance, I thought I can use the frequent flyer points to get the tickets cheaper……Not so.

Turns out that in the hidden T&C (not shown on the travel insurance booking) it states that you’ll get these points 6 weeks AFTER your travel dates. So there is no way I can use these points to get the NZ ticket.

I think it’s only fare for Qantas to openly disclose this information rather than hide it in an obscure section of the T&C page

The Second…..

The quoted return ticket to NZ online was $1295.64. I started the booking and selected the seat. When I got to the screen to pay for it, I paused for a while to check the details with my wife.

When I returned about ½ hour later, the online session timed out.

As there was no way of getting back the original quote, I started the whole process again, only this time the same flights and seat selection price changed to $1335.64.

Thinking that the price may have varied in the interim, I paid $1335.64.

When I got my confirmation ticket by email for the $1335.64 booking, I got a separate Email from Qantas that my original quoted ticket of $1295.64 was waiting for me to buy along with a link to finish/buy the quoted ticket.

I rang the Qantas call centre only to be told there is nothing that can be done since I’ve already paid $1335.64

Not happy to settle for this I asked if I could cancel the $1335.64 ticket and get a refund given that it has been less than 24 hours since purchase. The call centre acknowledged that it is possible, and we cancelled the $1335.64 ticket.

I went back online and bought $1295.64 and was refunded for the $1335.64 ticket after 3 days.

Moral of this story is it would’ve been nice if the online booking system had allowed me to save my original $1295.64 booking, that way if the session times out, I can get back to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-08 101057.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-08 101057.png
    273 KB · Views: 0
That's buying tickets w via the web for you. Airline websites are made complex so that you pay more. You have to tick what you don't want for some. They are laid out complexly when it could be laid out simply and logically. Then you have to pay by card and airlines charge like a wounded bull for that item when you are providing them with ease of payment as they don't have to take cash or a bank cheque and process that in person. And what security do your details have? If scammers can get your details from Optus and Medicare??

2 similar things happened to me when trying to book a return ticket to NZ.

The first…

I took out a travel insurance with Qantas and was advised online that If I take the travel insurance, I’ll get 2000 frequent flyer points.

So, after I paid for the travel insurance, I thought I can use the frequent flyer points to get the tickets cheaper……Not so.

Turns out that in the hidden T&C (not shown on the travel insurance booking) it states that you’ll get these points 6 weeks AFTER your travel dates. So there is no way I can use these points to get the NZ ticket.

I think it’s only fare for Qantas to openly disclose this information rather than hide it in an obscure section of the T&C page

The Second…..

The quoted return ticket to NZ online was $1295.64. I started the booking and selected the seat. When I got to the screen to pay for it, I paused for a while to check the details with my wife.

When I returned about ½ hour later, the online session timed out.

As there was no way of getting back the original quote, I started the whole process again, only this time the same flights and seat selection price changed to $1335.64.

Thinking that the price may have varied in the interim, I paid $1335.64.

When I got my confirmation ticket by email for the $1335.64 booking, I got a separate Email from Qantas that my original quoted ticket of $1295.64 was waiting for me to buy along with a link to finish/buy the quoted ticket.

I rang the Qantas call centre only to be told there is nothing that can be done since I’ve already paid $1335.64

Not happy to settle for this I asked if I could cancel the $1335.64 ticket and get a refund given that it has been less than 24 hours since purchase. The call centre acknowledged that it is possible, and we cancelled the $1335.64 ticket.

I went back online and bought $1295.64 and was refunded for the $1335.64 ticket after 3 days.

Moral of this story is it would’ve been nice if the online booking system had allowed me to save my original $1295.64 booking, that way if the session times out, I can get back to it.
Why fly with Qantas? Unreliable service, good at losing luggage and a tradition like Southern Phone of not bothering with replying in writing to customers' written valid concerns. Welcome to internet-based "service".

Hmm . . . sounds like she still hasn’t actually received the refund yet. Also, if she hadn’t continued to make a fuss she wouldn’t be getting it at all.
"Qantas has admitted their mistake, refunded the overcharged amount, and awarded Ms Kellam 100,000 frequent flyer points for her troubles."

Reactions: Ezzy and Mrs Robyn
Why fly with Qantas? Unreliable service, good at losing luggage and a tradition like Southern Phone of not bothering with replying in writing to customers' written valid concerns. Welcome to internet-based "service".
Joyce did a lot of damage to Quantas .

Reactions: Rob44
Regardless of the airline, if you want to save yourself grief, book via a Travel Agent. If your booking goes pearshaped, it's THEIR job to sort it out, and they're probably in the box-seat to get you a good deal, anyway.

Reactions: Rob44