Avoid this costly mistake: Aussie traveller loses $450 due to a simple passport error

We all look forward to our holidays, the chance to explore new places, create new memories, and take a break from our daily routines.

But what happens when a simple oversight threatens to derail your entire trip? This is exactly what happened to Charlotte Rebecca, a traveller who learned a costly lesson just days before her overseas holiday.

Charlotte was all set to fly from Melbourne to Bali when she noticed a small amount of water damage on the back of her one-year-old passport.

Concerned about the potential implications of travelling with a slightly damaged document, she visited the Australian Passport Office.

nico-smit-iaYX9pvwyAk-unsplashg.jpg
A traveller shared a passport mishap that cost her $450. Credit: Nico Smit/Unsplash

To her dismay, her passport failed to scan one out of the three times when an employee checked it just a week before her trip.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), normal wear and tear should not be a problem, but more serious damage can prevent you from travelling.

‘Damage that might require you to replace your passport includes water damage, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages or tears,’ it said on the website.

Charlotte shared her experience in a now-viral video, urging fellow travellers to check their passports early. 'If you're going to Bali, don't be like me, check your passport early,' she said.

The water damage on her passport was not severe, but the inconsistency in the scanning process was enough to make her take action.

'The lady at the Australian Passport office was like, “Look, it's up to you if you want to do it—it might be fine, it might not be fine. It depends who you get,”' she said.

Not willing to take any risks, Charlotte decided to get a new passport, which cost her $450, including a priority processing fee to ensure she received it on time.

'So I had to go (and) express an emergency passport, this cost me $450. If I just gotten a replacement, it would have cost $200. But because of the priority it was an extra $250. But I would rather pay $450 than be detained or (have to) fly home,' she stated.

You can watch her video here:

In a statement, a DFAT spokesperson said: 'Damage to a passport, including water damage, can disrupt travel plans, potentially preventing Australians from departing Australia or from being allowed entry at their destination.'

Bali, in particular, has some of the strictest passport regulations, and airlines can face a hefty $7,000 fine if they transport passengers with damaged passports.

Considering earlier incidents of passport damages costing people their Bali getaways, Charlotte’s action—though costly—is wise.

In June, 29-year-old Matt Vandenberg was denied entry to the island paradise because of a 1-cm tear on his passport. Weeks later, another Aussie traveller met the same fate but because of a speck of water.

In some cases, airlines themselves preempt any denials of entry (and fines) by weeding out passengers with even slight damages to their passports too.

It’s also worth noting that passport damage may also be a foothold for possible extortion, with Indonesian authorities having investigated a claim made by a traveller last July of a woman being asked to shell out $1,500 for having a ‘slightly dirty’ passport.

Here are things you could check to ensure your passport is not damaged or faulty:

Damaged and faulty passports.jpg

Remember, it's not just about the cost of replacing a damaged passport; it's also about the potential disruption to your travel plans and the stress and inconvenience that can come with it.

So, take Charlotte's advice: 'Check your passport early and don't get slight water damage.'

If your passport is damaged and you must travel urgently, call DFAT on 131 232.

Key Takeaways

• A traveller urged everyone to check their passports early after incurring a $450 cost due to slight water damage on hers.
  • The traveller was unsure if she would be allowed entry to Bali due to slight water damage on her passport, despite it being only a year old.
  • Bali has very strict passport regulations, and airlines can face large fines if they transport passengers with damaged passports to the country.
  • The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson advised that damage to a passport can disrupt travel plans, potentially stopping Australians from leaving Australia or entering their destination.

Have you ever experienced any passport-related issues while travelling, members? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Reactions: Liag and BJM
Sponsored
Aussie passports used to be issued with protective plastic either like a book cover or an “envelope”. There are many, myself included, who use a travel “wallet” to contain essential travel items. Some have RFID protection for added security.

Reactions: magpie1 and maherdj
We all look forward to our holidays, the chance to explore new places, create new memories, and take a break from our daily routines.

But what happens when a simple oversight threatens to derail your entire trip? This is exactly what happened to Charlotte Rebecca, a traveller who learned a costly lesson just days before her overseas holiday.

Charlotte was all set to fly from Melbourne to Bali when she noticed a small amount of water damage on the back of her one-year-old passport.

Concerned about the potential implications of travelling with a slightly damaged document, she visited the Australian Passport Office.

View attachment 35011
A traveller shared a passport mishap that cost her $450. Credit: Nico Smit/Unsplash

To her dismay, her passport failed to scan one out of the three times when an employee checked it just a week before her trip.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), normal wear and tear should not be a problem, but more serious damage can prevent you from travelling.

‘Damage that might require you to replace your passport includes water damage, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages or tears,’ it said on the website.

Charlotte shared her experience in a now-viral video, urging fellow travellers to check their passports early. 'If you're going to Bali, don't be like me, check your passport early,' she said.

The water damage on her passport was not severe, but the inconsistency in the scanning process was enough to make her take action.

'The lady at the Australian Passport office was like, “Look, it's up to you if you want to do it—it might be fine, it might not be fine. It depends who you get,”' she said.

Not willing to take any risks, Charlotte decided to get a new passport, which cost her $450, including a priority processing fee to ensure she received it on time.

'So I had to go (and) express an emergency passport, this cost me $450. If I just gotten a replacement, it would have cost $200. But because of the priority it was an extra $250. But I would rather pay $450 than be detained or (have to) fly home,' she stated.

You can watch her video here:

In a statement, a DFAT spokesperson said: 'Damage to a passport, including water damage, can disrupt travel plans, potentially preventing Australians from departing Australia or from being allowed entry at their destination.'

Bali, in particular, has some of the strictest passport regulations, and airlines can face a hefty $7,000 fine if they transport passengers with damaged passports.

Considering earlier incidents of passport damages costing people their Bali getaways, Charlotte’s action—though costly—is wise.

In June, 29-year-old Matt Vandenberg was denied entry to the island paradise because of a 1-cm tear on his passport. Weeks later, another Aussie traveller met the same fate but because of a speck of water.

In some cases, airlines themselves preempt any denials of entry (and fines) by weeding out passengers with even slight damages to their passports too.

It’s also worth noting that passport damage may also be a foothold for possible extortion, with Indonesian authorities having investigated a claim made by a traveller last July of a woman being asked to shell out $1,500 for having a ‘slightly dirty’ passport.

Here are things you could check to ensure your passport is not damaged or faulty:

Remember, it's not just about the cost of replacing a damaged passport; it's also about the potential disruption to your travel plans and the stress and inconvenience that can come with it.

So, take Charlotte's advice: 'Check your passport early and don't get slight water damage.'

If your passport is damaged and you must travel urgently, call DFAT on 131 232.

Key Takeaways

• A traveller urged everyone to check their passports early after incurring a $450 cost due to slight water damage on hers.
  • The traveller was unsure if she would be allowed entry to Bali due to slight water damage on her passport, despite it being only a year old.
  • Bali has very strict passport regulations, and airlines can face large fines if they transport passengers with damaged passports to the country.
  • The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson advised that damage to a passport can disrupt travel plans, potentially stopping Australians from leaving Australia or entering their destination.

Have you ever experienced any passport-related issues while travelling, members? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

I don't know about Bali! but I can state categorically that Indonesia, was one of the most corrupt countries i have ever been to.

Been going to Bali for years, the Balinese are lovely people
I have never been anywhere else in Indonesia and don't intend to.
Had my bag snatched in Bali years ago, the guy was actually caught when he fell off his motorbike as he tried to get away in a hurry
The police said he was Javanese and that most of the crime committed in Bali is by them.
Just a reminder to make sure your passport has 6 months clear on the expiry date before you leave your destination, otherwise you won't be allowed to fly. Saw this happen to some poor people at the airport earlier this year, they weren't aware of this .

Last edited:
I think it's a big money making ripoff the amount they charge for an emergency passport.
They charge less for the fine to people who blatantly break our biosecurity laws.

Been going to Bali for years, the Balinese are lovely people
I have never been anywhere else in Indonesia and don't intend to.
Had my bag snatched in Bali years ago, the guy was actually caught when he fell off his motorbike as he tried to get away in a hurry
The police said he was Javanese and that most of the crime committed in Bali is by them.
Just a reminder to make sure your passport has 6 months clear on the expiry date before you leave your destination, otherwise you won't be allowed to fly. Saw this happen to some poor people at the airport earlier this year, they weren't aware of this .
The police said he was Javanese and that most of the crime committed in Bali is by them. rather proves my point! as I stated I don't know about Bali?.

Reactions: mylittletibbies