Avoid $410 fine with this surprising traffic law most drivers ignore

As we navigate the bustling roads of Australia, it's crucial to stay abreast of traffic laws to ensure our safety and avoid hefty fines.

One such law, often overlooked by drivers, has come under the spotlight as authorities focus on motorists who may inadvertently or deliberately flout the rules.

This isn't just a concern for drivers in one state; it's a nationwide issue that could hit your wallet hard if ignored.

The Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, part of the New South Wales Police Force, has observed a worrying trend in road accidents linked to improper overtaking.

They've taken to social media to remind drivers about the misconceptions and risks associated with this maneuver.

One of the most common mistakes is lingering in the right lane.

1724645770930.png
NSW Police warned drivers about often ignoring overtaking rules in a new crackdown. Credit: NSW Police Force / Facebook

In a recent statement, NSW Police urged drivers to heed 'keep left unless overtaking' signs.

A provisional driver learned this lesson the hard way, receiving a $410 fine for ignoring the directive.

But according to Sydney lawyer Avinash Singh of Astor Legal, the penalty could have been much steeper, with fines reaching up to $2,200 for such an infraction.

The rules of overtaking should be more understood and addressed, leading to dangerous situations on the road.

In NSW, overtaking is illegal across a continuous dividing line, whether single or double, and when there is no clear view of oncoming traffic, such as before a crest, curve, or poor visibility.

‘It is not only illegal to cross unbroken lane lines to overtake, but it is illegal to overtake at any time when it is unsafe to do so,’ the police said on social media.

‘This means you require an unobstructed view of traffic ahead, must not exceed the speed limit and must not overtake or re-enter the lane too close to the overtaken car.’

It is also prohibited when a vehicle is stopped at a pedestrian crossing, intersection, or railway crossing and where the road narrows.

Police emphasised that it's illegal to cross unbroken lane lines to overtake and to do so at any time when it's unsafe.

This means drivers must have an unobstructed view of the road ahead, adhere to speed limits, and avoid overtaking or merging back into the lane too close to the vehicle they've just passed.

Accelerating when another driver attempts to overtake you is another risky behaviour that can attract a $410 fine and three demerit points.

This is considered an offence and is just as punishable as the act of overtaking itself.

Remember, exceeding the speed limit while overtaking is never permissible, regardless of the situation.

Drivers should be aware that these rules do not apply exclusively to NSW; similar laws apply across all states and territories in Australia.

Familiarise yourself with your region's specific road rules to avoid infractions and ensure the safety of everyone on the road.

In other news, an 18-year-old driver was fined $3,568 and lost his license for making an unsafe maneuver on Campbell Hill Road in Guildford, Sydney.

The P-plater was caught speeding in a 50 km/h zone and overtaking on the wrong side of the road. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • NSW Police are warning drivers about commonly ignored overtaking rules as part of a crackdown on incorrect driving behaviours.
  • Motorists cruising in the right lane without overtaking can face fines of up to $410 in NSW, and similar rules apply in other states and territories.
  • It is legal to overtake across unbroken dividing lines with a clear view of approaching traffic at pedestrian crossings, intersections, railway crossings, or where roads narrow.
  • Drivers should not speed up during overtaking attempts by others and always adhere to the speed limit; offences can attract up to $410 in fines and three demerit points.
What steps do you take to ensure you're following overtaking rules? Have you ever faced any issues with fines or penalties related to improper overtaking? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
the biggest impact I've seen on driver's attitudes is coppers in marked cars driving on the roads, with the occasional one with lights flashing behind a pulled over car. there needs to be more marked police cars out and about to get people to change their attitudes. oh, even better if there are two, say a kilometer apart just so people don't think "oh, I've gone past them, I can go mad now"

Driving from Sydney to Batemans Bay I was continually stuck behind big @r$e caravans plodding up the hills in the right lane and not keeping to the left. There were cars towing caravans doing the right thing by sticking to the left but it's so annoying when drivers don't plus it's dangerous as impatient drivers will try to take over putting themselves and others at risk.

‘It is not only illegal to cross unbroken lane lines to overtake, but it is illegal to overtake at any time when it is unsafe to do so,’ the police said on social media.

So, in future, the powers to be will be resorting to social media to advise the public of changes to rules and regulations?

GET F**KED!

Reactions: DLHM
Driving from Sydney to Batemans Bay I was continually stuck behind big @r$e caravans plodding up the hills in the right lane and not keeping to the left. There were cars towing caravans doing the right thing by sticking to the left but it's so annoying when drivers don't plus it's dangerous as impatient drivers will try to take over putting themselves and others at risk.
Even worse is when a semi-trailer driver decides he needs to overtake another semi-trailer going up a hill. Neither of them is going anywhere near the speed limit (usually doing less than half the limit) but nothing is ever done by the police to control this bad behaviour.

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo and PattiB
Late last century, I was following some ancient fossilised woman on the Princes Highway, sotuh of Nowra, doing 55 kmh in a 100 kmh zone. Her chin was practically on the steering wheel, peering through the windscreen. On entering a "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" zone, this woman stayed in the right lane so I overtook her using the left lane (not illegal, by the way).

I must have startled her as all I could see was a LC Torana disappearing into a cloud of dust on the side of the highway in my rear vision mirror. :ROFLMAO: Stupid woman who doesn't deserve a licence!

Fix the pot holes on the main highways and more people will stay in the left lane. I stay right a lot when driving down a highway I use weekly because the left hand lane is dangerously filled with pot holes and you have to veer into left lane to avoid them. Even when fixed theyre not good as some are not flat

So, in future, the powers to be will be resorting to social media to advise the public of changes to rules and regulations?

GET F**KED!
Obviously YOU didn't know this, because YOU think there has been a change? Guess what, no change here at all.

Even worse is when a semi-trailer driver decides he needs to overtake another semi-trailer going up a hill. Neither of them is going anywhere near the speed limit (usually doing less than half the limit) but nothing is ever done by the police to control this bad behaviour.
The police cannot make up rules, they are not breaking any law if they are overtaking, regardless of how slow they are.

Reactions: natalielocket
So true. Then there are the Caravaners, who travel along at 80, sometimes below, especially if a truck is heading in the opposite direction, who drop their speed again. Then speed up on over taking lanes. Especially on the Bruce H`way, after/before Gympie. I have been behind trucks, who can`t pass, and feel sorry when they are either delivering products or returning from their run. I`m happy to stick behind such trucks, then if they go to pass, (on overtaking lanes) then I`m right behind them. Often over the speed limits. But they will see the Traffic Officers first. Being an ex Caravaner, we always would indicate and slow down when we could see a long straight bit of road of others to pass, or pull over when there is a longer than usual pull off area. A lot do, but unfortunately too many don`t.

Try overtaking a B-Double going at 100kph ( yeah) on a 110kph limit highway and NOT exceed 110kph briefly, and see how far you get. You spend and agonising amount of time within a metre or so of those huge wheels!
I was just about to write something similar. Actually, when I learned to drive we were told to accelerate when overtaking another vehicle so we woukd be back in the proper lane asap! I think it s a lot safer to speed for say 2 minutes than to try and get past another vehicle for 30 minutes. Apart from the fact that you are in the right lane for so long you might come up to a bend/hill etc and wont be able to see oncoming traffic anymore!

Reactions: Dynamo
it's an unfortunate fact that semis have to keep the revs up or stall, which sometimes leads to them being side by side, although one would be doing slightly higher revs than the other, it just calls for patience on your part..................

Reactions: natalielocket
How can this be a surprising traffic law? Any competent driver knows you should keep left unless overtaking on multi-laned highways

Try overtaking a B-Double going at 100kph ( yeah) on a 110kph limit highway and NOT exceed 110kph briefly, and see how far you get. You spend and agonising amount of time within a metre or so of those huge wheels!
The time save by travelling at 110km/hr as against 100km/hr over 100kms is what? A couple of minutes?

The left lane is so over used, there are pot holes everywhere. It is more dangerous to stay in the left lane than the right. And how can you stay within the speed limit when over taking? The whole point of over taking is to get ahead of a slow moving vehicle. If they are doing 90 in 100 zone, you need to do at least 105-110 to over take and then pull back far enough in front (as specified in the regualtions).