Authorities name victim of catastrophic turbulence incident on Singapore Airlines flight

Content warning: This article discusses the death of an elderly individual, which may be distressing to some. Reader discretion is advised.

Travellers aboard a recent international flight experienced an unexpected and intense ordeal that left one tragic fatality and multiple injuries.

The incident, which involved a flight heavily populated with Australian passengers, has sent shockwaves through the international travel community and raised concerns about the safety of air travel in turbulent conditions.

As authorities investigate the circumstances surrounding this distressing event, many ponder the risks of high-altitude travel.

For passengers aboard Singapore Airlines flight SQ321, a journey from London to Singapore turned into a nightmare when the aircraft encountered severe turbulence on Tuesday, May 21.

Geoff Kitchen, a 73-year-old British musical theatre director, was the victim of this tragic event, suffering a heart attack as the turbulence violently shook the plane.

Sadly, Mr Kitchen passed away on board, leaving behind his wife Linda, who is currently hospitalised in Bangkok with her condition undisclosed.

The couple was embarking on a six-week holiday that would have taken them through Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, and Australia—a trip they had meticulously planned and looked forward to with great excitement.

compressed-shutterstock_2314878143.jpeg
Geoff Kitchen died, and dozens were injured due to severe turbulence on Singapore Airlines flight SQ321 from London to Singapore. Credits: Shutterstock

The Boeing 777-300ER was nearing its destination when it plummeted 6000 ft in five minutes, forcing an emergency landing in Bangkok.

The sudden drop occurred while cabin crew were serving breakfast, causing passengers and crew members to be thrown against the cabin structure, resulting in at least 71 injuries, six of which were serious.

‘Some poor people walking around ended up doing somersaults, it was absolutely terrible,’ one passenger recalled.

According to Kittipong Kittikachorn, Director of Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport—who also confirmed the deceased man's age and nationality—most of the injured passengers on the flight sustained head injuries.

56 of the 211 passengers and 18 crew members were Australians, making them the most prominent national group on the flight.

The following most numerous nationalities included 47 Britons, 41 Singaporeans, 23 New Zealanders, and 16 Malaysians.

The Australian community has been left reeling from the news, particularly those with loved ones on the flight.

‘At least eight of those Australians are actually in hospital in Bangkok, having injuries tended to,’ Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neill stated.

Mr Kitchen, who hailed from Thornbury in Gloucestershire, England, was remembered by his friends as ‘a really nice bloke’.

The news of his passing has deeply affected those who knew him, with friends and neighbours expressing their sorrow and disbelief.

‘We are really upset. My wife is upstairs crying,’ Mr Kitchen’s neighbour Steve Dimond shared.

‘He was a really nice guy. I last saw them on Sunday night, and my wife saw them drive off on Monday.’

Despite having heart issues in the past, Mr Kitchen was known for his active and adventurous spirit, which makes this loss even more poignant.

‘You wouldn’t know it, he carried on as normal and was very fit and active,’ Mr Dimond said.

They were very adventurous and had been planning the holiday for a long time.’

‘They spent last weekend with their grandchildren because they wouldn’t be seeing them for a while,’ he added.

Following the incident, the airline released a statement saying, ‘Singapore Airlines offers its deepest condolences to the family of the deceased.’

‘Our priority is to provide all possible assistance to all passengers and crew on board the aircraft.’

For friends and relatives seeking information, the airline advised to contact the Australian Singapore Airlines hotline at 1800 845 313.

Passengers who did not sustain serious injuries were transported from Thailand to Singapore to continue their journeys.

Meanwhile, the airline industry and safety regulators may need to reassess protocols and procedures to prevent such incidents in the future.

A passenger on board reported that a Singapore Airlines crew member described the incident as ‘by far the worst in her 30 years of flying’.

Deaths due to turbulence are exceedingly rare, with only 30 reported in the last 15 years amidst billions of air travellers annually.

However, this incident was a stark reminder of the importance of adhering to safety instructions, such as wearing seatbelts, even when the skies seem calm.

Some of the notable incidents include an Emirates Flight last year carrying Former Western Australia Labor minister Alannah MacTiernan where she suffered multiple injuries.

In October, a Jetstar flight from Auckland to Queenstown in New Zealand encountered intense turbulence, lifting passengers out of their seats.

More recently, a suspected technical problem on a flight from Sydney to Auckland left 12 people injured.
Key Takeaways
  • A British musical theatre director named Geoff Kitchen died, and dozens were injured following severe turbulence on Singapore Airlines flight SQ321 from London to Singapore.
  • At least 71 passengers were injured, with six seriously hurt, and the plane had to make an emergency landing in Bangkok.
  • Fifty-six Australians were on board the flight, which is a popular route for travellers going from the UK to Australia.
  • Singapore Airlines expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and offered assistance to all affected passengers and crew.
As we reflect on this tragedy, we extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of Geoff Kitchen and wish a speedy recovery to all those injured.

We also commend the bravery and professionalism of the flight crew who, despite their own injuries, tended to the needs of passengers in a time of crisis.

We encourage you to always follow safety guidelines and remain seated with your seatbelt fastened whenever possible during flights.

Do you have any experiences or thoughts about air travel safety, particularly in turbulent conditions? Please join the conversation in the comments below.

Sponsored
Head injuries; all the hard-edged stuff packed into those overhead lockers would have done a fair bit of those. The way people pack 7+kilo small suitcases into those overhead lockers is absurd, if one is considering safety. Most of that carry-on luggage should be in the cargo hold.

Last edited:
My condolences to the family...unfortunately ACCIDENTS DO happen also note this passenger had heart problems prior to the flight..which most likely was major contributing factor...safety first always wear your seatbelt when seated..

Reactions: Marilynne
I was in a plane that dropped like that,fortunately not as far but it is still a frightening experience.I'm not a very good flyer anyway worked at London Airport so knew too much.No one on our flight was injured but it is the most horrible feeling.

Head injuries;all the hard-edged stuff packed into in those overhead lockers would have done a fair bit of those. The way people pack 7+kilo small suitcases into those overhead lockers is absurd, if one is considering safety. Most of that carry-on luggage should be in the cargo hold.
I too, cannot understand the absolute hurry to be the first off the plane! We have ALL been confined for hours, just sit, wait and conduct yourselves responsibly, but no way, pushing, shoving and saying can I pass to everyone. I always sit comfortably, watch the chaos, the large hand luggage being lugged around the aisles and think, nope, I’m biding my time, and getting off safely thankyou.

The last time I was on that flight for my first leg of flying to Australia was 12 years ago, but I didn't like the idea of having breakfast at 4am which was happening at the time of this incident.
Got afternoon flights after that.

It didn't actually 'plummet 6,000 feet '. It was a controlled descent by the pilot of about 1,000 feet a minute which makes it 6 minutes. Doesn't sound so dramatic for the media. 🙄

If I was flying to the UK, I'd certainly go by Singapore Airlines again.🙂

Reactions: Barbara V