Authorities issue recall of frozen meal sold at Coles, Woolworths, and IGA

In a recent turn of events that underscores the importance of food safety, a popular children's frozen meal has been pulled from the shelves of some of Australia's largest supermarkets.

The Patties Food Group Little Meals Beef Cottage Pie, a convenient option for families, has been recalled for a rather unsettling reason.

The recall notice was issued by Food Standards Australia on Monday, 29 April, due to the presence of black rubber.

The affected product, which comes in a 200g package, has been identified as potentially hazardous, with warnings that the foreign matter could lead to illness or injury if consumed.

Little-meals-Beef-cottage-pie-lifestyle-2-Copy-scaled-1.jpg
Patties Food Group Little Meals Beef Cottage Pie has been recalled due to the presence of foreign matter. Credit: Annabel Karmel

The batch in question has a best-before date of 15 Feb 2026, and it has been distributed nationwide, finding its way into the freezers of families shopping at Coles, Woolworths, and various independent retailers, including IGA.

If you've recently purchased a beef cottage pie for your little ones, it's crucial to check the packaging for this date to ensure their safety.

Customers who have bought the affected product are advised not to consume it and to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.

Medical advice is recommended for those who may have already consumed the product and are concerned about the potential health implications.

Consumers can visit the Food Standards Australia website for more information on food recalls and safety notices.

For anyone needing further assistance or information regarding the recall, you may also contact Patties Food Group at 1800 090 698.

This comes after Patties Food Group’s On the Menu Entreé products were recalled due to a packaging error.

The affected products included the Cheese Macaroni, Beef Lasagne, and Spaghetti & Meatballs variant.
Key Takeaways
  • Patties Food Group Little Meals Beef Cottage Pie 200g has been recalled due to the presence of black rubber.
  • The recalled food items were sold nationwide at Coles, Woolworths, and independent retailers, including IGA.
  • Consumers are advised not to eat the product as it may cause illness or injury and are entitled to a full refund.
  • Concerned customers can contact Patties Food Group directly or seek medical advice if they feel unwell.
Have you ever experienced a similar issue with a food product? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I also agree with DrivingGirl - and for those who claim not to have time, maybe cook on the days / nights you are not working and freeze your own meals. They don't need to be fancy, just healthy - and usually works out way cheaper.

I also agree with DrivingGirl - and for those who claim not to have time, maybe cook on the days / nights you are not working and freeze your own meals. They don't need to be fancy, just healthy - and usually works out way cheaper.
My daughter in law has a stressful full time job but cooks good wholesome food for her two year old daughter every day. She is just so organised.

Definitely cheaper and with no black rubber- I don’t even want to ask how that got into a cottage pie, but I’m thinking a broken conveyor belt - and nobody noticed????!!