Authorities arrest five scammers impersonating this Hollywood star

In a world where celebrity culture is more pervasive than ever, the names and faces of Hollywood's elite hold influence.

However, this credibility could be used in elaborate schemes to deceive fans and onlookers.

This was the case in a recent scam, where authorities arrested scammers for exploiting the image of an Oscar-winning actor.

The Spanish Guardia Civil police force arrested five individuals who used Hollywood superstar Brad Pitt's likeness for a scam.

The perpetrators targeted two women through a Brad Pitt fan page.

They schemed a web of deception that made these fans believe they were in a romantic relationship with the actor himself.

compressed-Brad Pitt.jpeg
A group of scammers from Andalusia were arrested after impersonating Fight Club star Brad Pitt. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Jay Hirano

The women were persuaded to invest in non-existent projects, resulting in a combined loss of €325,000, or about $527,400.

The police revealed that the scammers meticulously studied their victims' social media profiles and crafted psychological profiles to identify their vulnerabilities.

Both women were in a vulnerable state, making them prime targets for the fraudsters' manipulative tactics.

The scammers exchanged messages with the women through instant messaging platforms and emails.

They eventually convinced the victims that they were talking with Brad Pitt himself.

The promise of a romantic relationship and a future together was the bait that lured the victims into the trap.

The police arrested the five individuals in Andalusia, which included the suspected ringleaders of the group.

Raids on five homes also led to the seizure of mobile phones, bank cards, computers, and a diary with scripted phrases used in luring victims.

Officers also recovered €85,000 (approximately $138,000) of the defrauded amount.

This tale serves as a stark reminder of the dangers lurking online, where anonymity could allow scammers to exploit unsuspecting individuals.

Maintain a healthy scepticism when engaging with strangers online, especially those claiming to be celebrities or public figures.

Here are some tips to help you stay safe and avoid becoming a victim of similar scams:
  • Verify the identity: It's improbable that celebrities will reach out to fans in a personal manner. Use video calls to confirm identity, and be wary of excuses for not being able to do so.
  • Protect your personal information: Never share personal or financial information with someone you've met online. Scammers could use this information to steal your identity or access accounts.
  • Be sceptical of requests for money: If an online acquaintance asks for money, especially for investment in projects, it's a red flag.
  • Do your research: Look for news articles or official statements from the celebrity's verified social media accounts to confirm any claims made by the person contacting you.
  • Report suspicious behaviour: If you suspect you're being scammed, report the account to the platform and contact local authorities.
  • Seek support: If you're feeling vulnerable, reach out to friends, family, or professional services for support rather than seeking connections with strangers online.
The internet can be an excellent tool for staying connected and informed.

However, it's essential to navigate the digital world with caution and awareness.
Key Takeaways
  • The Spanish police arrested five individuals for scamming women by posing as Hollywood star Brad Pitt.
  • The scammers convinced two women that they were in a relationship with Pitt and defrauded them of €325,000 or $527,400.
  • The victims, both in vulnerable emotional states, believed they were talking with Pitt via email and instant messaging.
  • Throughout raids, police recovered €85,000 and seized various items used for the scam, including mobile phones, computers, and a diary with scripted phrases used by the fraudsters.
Have you seen similar celebrity impersonation scams lately? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I received an email from my bank a few months back (which went to my spam folder) advising me that I needed to click on a link to verify my account details. Of course I deleted it assuming it was a scam. A few weeks later the account was indeed blocked! I visited my local bank branch and was told the email was genuine and that it was a routine random practice for the bank to do so. I proceeded to politely advise the bank employee how bloody stupid the system was. She agreed but said there was nothing she could do and that it was just bank policy.
I wonder how many people deleted the email as I did?
Bank policy at its most ridiculous!!!
We are constantly getting multiple messages to not click on links so deleting emails that tell you to do this is a reasonable and cautious thing to do.

I received a similar email. I left it and went to my bank to ask why I'd received it. The bank officer confirmed it was genuine 😳.

She attended to the verification and I then deleted the email.

I received an email from my bank a few months back (which went to my spam folder) advising me that I needed to click on a link to verify my account details. Of course I deleted it assuming it was a scam. A few weeks later the account was indeed blocked! I visited my local bank branch and was told the email was genuine and that it was a routine random practice for the bank to do so. I proceeded to politely advise the bank employee how bloody stupid the system was. She agreed but said there was nothing she could do and that it was just bank policy.
I received an email from the bank and went down to the bank and asked as I usually get rid off this type of thing and it was from the bank 🏦 and thought how bloody stupid they are always pays to check before clicking 🙄👌

Reactions: deni67
Not all blondes are stupid, so get that out of your mind!
Stereotypes. Some people revert to stereotypical labels when they've nothing relevant to contribute.

Overused examples include 'blondes' and 'Karen' (not an exhaustive list).

When you use the label 'blonde' you mean your target is stupid.

Similarly, 'Karen' when used to label a woman is a pejorative term.

Stupid and mean/excessively demanding and entitled people COME IN EVERY HAIR SHADE, SKIN COLOUR AND NATIONALITY (AND INCLUDE EVERY GENDER).

Blondes and those persons named Karen should rightly be outraged that their hair colour and their given name for God's sake when used by name callers is being used to belittle them.

It obviously offends the particular target but also places all blonde haired people and all women named Karen in a respective group. It tars them with an insinuated low intellectual standing and negative personality traits.

I've read recently that offence to terms like these make a person 'precious', another label.

Labels and name calling are aimed to wound. This conduct is often identified as bullying.

People please think before you speak.

My opinion. My comment is not an invitation to a free for all discussion of pros and cons (if anyone can voice those, please do so in your own time and not as a reply to me.) I ask readers to respect that.

I never receive random emails from my bank, all messages come to me from my bank via me logging on to my account. I wonder which bank expects you to 'click on a link' if you receive a random email? The only emails I get from my bank are those that I request, ie $$ spent exceeding limit ,transfer/withdrawal etc.

I am with 2 banks and received emails from both asking to verify details. I physically went to the banks, 1 email was genuine, the other one wasn't.
You really need to be careful

I also did the same but our bank followed up with a posted letter

The bank needs to wake up. If they are sending emails out with links you as a customer are required to click, and update your details, then they are aiding the scammers. I would be moving to another bank. The CEO of this bank need sacking.

Reactions: SandyM
Just for the record, to all 'Blondes'... one of my favourite backlash jokes (as a Brunette).
Q: What is dark, broken, bloodied and lies in the gutter?
A: A Brunette telling a Blonde Joke!

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
The banks warn us not to click on links and then send an email requesting us to click on a link???
Obviously you don't have to have too many brains to work in a bank.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I'm a big Henry Cavill fan and follow a number of his pages merely to view his handsome face. I know they are not really him - even his supposedly official page with the blue tick is not his real page. Scammers have claimed to be his personal assistant, his manager, even his mother, and him personally, and put up a link to "speak to him directly". I simply ignore them and continue to enjoy the pictures. A bit of common sense goes a long way. These women must really be so sad and desperate to believe it was really Brad Pitt.
I keep getting them from Paypal and Amazon Security - email and phone calls. Emails I delete. Phone calls I simply put the phone down and let them talk to themselves

You should know that genuine emails from the bank DO NOT contain links or phone numbers.
They always state LOG INTO YOUR YOUR ACCOUNT with your app or web site.
SCAM emails contain links and contact details.

Stereotypes. Some people revert to stereotypical labels when they've nothing relevant to contribute.

Overused examples include 'blondes' and 'Karen' (not an exhaustive list).

When you use the label 'blonde' you mean your target is stupid.

Similarly, 'Karen' when used to label a woman is a pejorative term.

Stupid and mean/excessively demanding and entitled people COME IN EVERY HAIR SHADE, SKIN COLOUR AND NATIONALITY (AND INCLUDE EVERY GENDER).

Blondes and those persons named Karen should rightly be outraged that their hair colour and their given name for God's sake when used by name callers is being used to belittle them.

It obviously offends the particular target but also places all blonde haired people and all women named Karen in a respective group. It tars them with an insinuated low intellectual standing and negative personality traits.

I've read recently that offence to terms like these make a person 'precious', another label.

Labels and name calling are aimed to wound. This conduct is often identified as bullying.

People please think before you speak.

My opinion. My comment is not an invitation to a free for all discussion of pros and cons (if anyone can voice those, please do so in your own time and not as a reply to me.) I ask readers to respect that.
Absolutely a d well said.I opened a can of worms months back because someone was poking fun at a sunsise host that was taking over and whis name was bla bla blah+can't remember all details but again very offensive that they would not make an effort or make fun of some one because they didn't have an anglo surname.Same sort of stuff,don't want to dredge it up again,but I know and agree with what you say.I got,get a life, where's your sense of humour,it was a typo,why don't you get a room with the one person's that is intent in arguing with you.In the end they pulled the I'm sick and going nowhere,when I suggested that perhaps the next time they travel to a country that doesn't know how to pronounce his name,they are met with the same disrespect as they had shown on the sdc AND that not one person had agreed or given support to them on their comments.Things hurt,but if you are dishing out this disrespect it's supposed to be a joke.
PS I am neither blonde,named Karen or have an unpronounceable name.
Respect to all I say.Hood day to you.

Reactions: Annna