Australia's top supermarket bosses reveal their best-kept secrets for cheaper groceries!

Who doesn't love a good money-saving hack? Especially when it comes to groceries - one of the most essential (and particularly these days, expensive) items in our lives.

Fortunately, the chief executives of Australia's supermarket industry have come forward to share their top tips for saving a few bucks next time you hit the shops.

From using cashback apps to taking advantage of loyalty programs, here are some of the best-kept, money-saving secrets that top supermarket executives revealed to help struggling Aussies:

Coles

Coles' chief operations and sustainability officer Matt Swindells has some great tips for shoppers who are looking to reduce their grocery bills.

For starters, he suggests tracking down a cheap protein option like chicken drumsticks or pork mince. It should be noted that these protein sources cost $4/kg and $4.50/500g respectively.

And then, you can build a whole meal around that using other affordable staples like pasta or lentils.

Cans of lentils are a great option, as they cost less than a dollar.

“Lentils [are] 80 cents for a tin, adds more protein, bulks out the sauce, gives it a bit of texture,” Mr Swindells said.

“Spaghetti pork meatballs with lentils for extra health and protein. For a family of four, that one is less than $10.”

Additionally, Coles is offering Flybuys members triple points until June 28.

1xwV1bSkklXCPfK8cK2iOAQqV-MyE5EvAOuEYElysMX8Ive2FttODuORh-xgsrNiYGkFb24pUX7qkpoTHj8JcpAnoJuaH5vHJy2DGDgZVmGB_hm7Dl_Ns49Q85EhjV-ORZDxDR1RIEZZLMND

Supermarket executives have come forward to share some insider money-saving tips from their respective companies. Credit: news.com.au.

Woolworths

Woolworths just announced a price freeze on almost 200 crucial items like flour, rice, sugar and pasta, which will last until the end of 2022. That's right, folks: you can now rest assured that your favourite carbs will remain affordable for the next six months!

But that's not all, with weekly specials being rolled out on Wednesdays and lasting until the end of Tuesday, and winter specials being retailed throughout the season, the retailer is offering around 5000 specials per week of up to 50 per cent off.

Chief commercial officer of Woolworths Group Paul Harker also encouraged shoppers to sign up for Woolworths Every Day Rewards.

He explained: "Every time you shop and scan your rewards card you earn points and when you get 2000 points you get $10 off your next shop and you can actually bank those up if you like.”

IGA

Looking for a way to meal prep on a budget? IGA has got you covered!

Jones Retail Group general manager David Kindt said that the retailer's catalogue has amazing deals on produce, which you can stretch your dollar further than ever.

For example, right now you can get gold sweet potatoes for just $5/kg. That’s a steal! And with winter veggies being in season, you can make delicious and hearty meals.

G2AQB2i5FXyza8pgFOjS1ZvMkC5mVQSR_gqYiGmwjMsIMaejKtT_mSLE3uZgjb36A8gtvKiLjZHRXL6bymoSb822TyaplbEbTAw3-j5XqZOIPQnOK__F6wszwOlq70jEXD5g21E2f71dfdml

Supermarket executives urged shoppers to take advantage of their loyalty programs and sales. Credit: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard.

ALDI

The German retailer is known for its budget-friendly prices, and now the company is claiming that families can save even more by shopping at their stores.

According to ALDI director of customer interactions Adrian Christie, the average Aussie family could save up to $2468 a year by shopping at the chain.

"The prices are everyday low prices. What we mean by that is we keep them at the same low prices, they don't go up and down," Mr Christie said.

"So, one week it won't be expensive and the next will be half-off. Every week it's the same price."

In addition to their everyday low prices, the company also provides weekly, fortnightly and monthly "super" savers on a range of items.

So, if you're looking to save money on your grocery bill, you might consider snapping up discounted items and signing up for rewards programs from different supermarkets!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think being a member of rewards programs is worth it, or just a gimmick? Let us know your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have the store cards and use them all the time, I shop frugally, always looking for cheaper cuts, thing on special and close to use by dated items, yet still my grocery shopping costs are getting away from me. Gone is the odd extravagance or guilty pleasure. It feels as if we are returning to the times my parents used to talk about when rationing was rife and things were hard to come by.:(

Coles flybuys are very good and can add up fast . Woolworths rewards take forever to even get $10 . Hence why my friends , family and I shop mainly at Coles .
I redeemed 2000 points online, for $20 off my next shop. Went to Coles 5 days later, the $20 wasn't there. I received an email 2hrs after I got home that it was available. It was a ploy to get me back into the store again and spend more. Not good enough, and I won't be shopping at Coles if I can help it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I use woolworths rewards and save the $10 reward for xmas. So they all add up. So far this year I have $130 which will go towards xmas presents wrapping paper food etc. I can also use the card at Big W so lots of presents can come from there. If you look at what food items get booster points if you are buying them anyway it’s a great way to boost your points.

I use woolworths rewards and save the $10 reward for xmas. So they all add up. So far this year I have $130 which will go towards xmas presents wrapping paper food etc. I can also use the card at Big W so lots of presents can come from there. If you look at what food items get booster points if you are buying them anyway it’s a great way to boost your points.
Yes I do this too! It makes all the Christmas expenses a little easier to bear!

I have been using Coles flybuys - they are great. The problem with Woolworths is that you have to use all of the $10 in one go - you cannot leave funds on the card for a later shop whereas you can on Coles rewards card!
No, you can let thecwoolies reward points build up. I do so all the time.

Reactions: Mower and Ricci
From the days Aldi came to Croydon & Chirnside Park was the REAL start of genuine bargains. My husband had already retired so having time to shop, watch dates & store was a real treat. None of my family tried them & you know not to force people. After YEARS they can't get enough of Aldi now. The opening day of Chirny Park was SO memorable. A LARGE telly was on special & (keep it short Es), My hubby said I didn't need 2. He didn't know it was for his 70th birthday. The salesman was SO helpful as they all are. Took it out of the box to fit the car etc etc. All their workers are SO polite & helpful, it is a shopping experience you never forget. I mean it sincerely. Their memory for "knowing the aisles where the goods are" is worth the biggest elephant stamp. They are INCREDIBLE.

Who doesn't love a good money-saving hack? Especially when it comes to groceries - one of the most essential (and particularly these days, expensive) items in our lives.

Fortunately, the chief executives of Australia's supermarket industry have come forward to share their top tips for saving a few bucks next time you hit the shops.

From using cashback apps to taking advantage of loyalty programs, here are some of the best-kept, money-saving secrets that top supermarket executives revealed to help struggling Aussies:

Coles

Coles' chief operations and sustainability officer Matt Swindells has some great tips for shoppers who are looking to reduce their grocery bills.

For starters, he suggests tracking down a cheap protein option like chicken drumsticks or pork mince. It should be noted that these protein sources cost $4/kg and $4.50/500g respectively.

And then, you can build a whole meal around that using other affordable staples like pasta or lentils.

“Lentils [are] 80 cents for a tin, adds more protein, bulks out the sauce, gives it a bit of texture,” Mr Swindells said.

“Spaghetti pork meatballs with lentils for extra health and protein. For a family of four, that one is less than $10.”

1xwV1bSkklXCPfK8cK2iOAQqV-MyE5EvAOuEYElysMX8Ive2FttODuORh-xgsrNiYGkFb24pUX7qkpoTHj8JcpAnoJuaH5vHJy2DGDgZVmGB_hm7Dl_Ns49Q85EhjV-ORZDxDR1RIEZZLMND

Supermarket executives have come forward to share some insider money-saving tips from their respective companies. Credit: news.com.au.

Woolworths

Woolworths just announced a price freeze on almost 200 crucial items like flour, rice, sugar and pasta, which will last until the end of 2022. That's right, folks: you can now rest assured that your favourite carbs will remain affordable for the next six months!

But that's not all, with weekly specials being rolled out on Wednesdays and lasting until the end of Tuesday, and winter specials being retailed throughout the season, the retailer is offering around 5000 specials per week of up to 50 per cent off.

Chief commercial officer of Woolworths Group Paul Harker also encouraged shoppers to sign up for Woolworths Every Day Rewards.

He explained: "Every time you shop and scan your rewards card you earn points and when you get 2000 points you get $10 off your next shop and you can actually bank those up if you like.”

IGA

Jones Retail Group general manager David Kindt said that the retailer's catalogue has amazing deals on produce, which you can stretch your dollar further than ever.

For example, right now you can get gold sweet potatoes for just $5/kg. That’s a steal! And with winter veggies being in season, you can make delicious and hearty meals.

G2AQB2i5FXyza8pgFOjS1ZvMkC5mVQSR_gqYiGmwjMsIMaejKtT_mSLE3uZgjb36A8gtvKiLjZHRXL6bymoSb822TyaplbEbTAw3-j5XqZOIPQnOK__F6wszwOlq70jEXD5g21E2f71dfdml

Supermarket executives urged shoppers to take advantage of their loyalty programs and sales. Credit: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard.

ALDI

The German retailer is known for its budget-friendly prices, and now the company is claiming that families can save even more by shopping at their stores.

According to ALDI director of customer interactions Adrian Christie, the average Aussie family could save up to $2468 a year by shopping at the chain.

"The prices are everyday low prices. What we mean by that is we keep them at the same low prices, they don't go up and down," Mr Christie said.

"So, one week it won't be expensive and the next will be half-off. Every week it's the same price."

In addition to their everyday low prices, the company also provides weekly, fortnightly and monthly "super" savers on a range of items.

So, if you're looking to save money on your grocery bill, you might consider snapping up discounted items and signing up for rewards programs from different supermarkets!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think being a member of rewards programs is worth it, or just a gimmick? Let us know your insights in the comments below.
I think the Woolies Rewards program only rewards Woolies. I might save $1 off the cost of petrol but only if I get petrol at Ampol - petrol is always cheaper elsewhere near me.

Reactions: Mower and Ricci
No, you can let thecwoolies reward points build up. I do so all the time.
Yes you can let it build up but I only had $10 reward and spent $9.40 and was not allowed to use the reward without buying something to take it over $10. Apparently you have to use the rewards in multiples of $10. At least that was what the lady at the till told me.

Coles

Woolworths

IGA

ALDI

I know it's not much but Aldi fail to mention that there is a surcharge if .5 percent when a card is used for a transaction. So for their saving of $2468 is $2456 plus the .5 that they have added for every card transaction. I always pay cash at Aldi

I have been using Coles flybuys - they are great. The problem with Woolworths is that you have to use all of the $10 in one go - you cannot leave funds on the card for a later shop whereas you can on Coles rewards card!

Woolworths . I save up for my big Christmas shop at the end of the year . Well worth it.

Coles

Woolworths

IGA

ALDI

He obviously has never tried to eat the chicken drumsticks. RSPCA should be ashamed of themselves approving the chickens, which is obviously bred to be heavy breasted to cater for the more expensive market, leaving the legs to support the extra weight. It leaves the legs all bruised and black, and seeing that flesh can't be bruised after death can only happen when the chicken is alive. It tastes terrible and looks disgusting,

• Sad
I shop mainly at Coles and Woolworths as I save up my points until the end of year so Christmas isn't so expensive as the our money has to stretch further these days.

Coles

Woolworths

IGA

ALDI

Aldi's prices on one product my wife used to buy went DOWN then back UP to 10% more than the original price, don't talk rubbish Aldi and customers, insert your card and use your pin instead of "tapping" it to avoid the surcharge. Any card tapped will go through as a credit transaction. For as many "specials" Woolies has, there are the same number of price increases and on staple items also and specials on rubbish or unecessary items usually. Dog food, cat food up by 25% etc. I saw "specials" saving you 5c and 10c. Woolies also give exclusive discounted prices to online shoppers only... gggrrr. I took this up with them and they fobbed me off saying online is a different business/department?? Coles and Woolies are both guilty of neglecting personal shoppers thru online only specials and taking staff off checkouts to pick online orders. Hasn't anyone else noticed the line ups at the checkouts since online orders were introduced?

Last edited:
I think the Woolies Rewards program only rewards Woolies. I might save $1 off the cost of petrol but only if I get petrol at Ampol - petrol is always cheaper elsewhere near me.
When you buy full at Woolworth plus you can get 4 or 8 cents off plus you gets rewards points every point adds up