Australia's Grocery Price Hike and what we plan to do about it

You probably read our article yesterday on what you can expect from us in 2022, but what we didn’t touch on is that we are wanting to focus now, more than ever, on the best deals and discounts you can get on your weekly grocery shop.

Unfortunately, it’s no secret that grocery prices are going up, and if you haven’t noticed that you’re spending a bit more money on your weekly trip to the supermarket, then you may have read some of our articles last year that spoke about things like dairy product prices increasing. It seems increasing prices aren’t stopping at dairy products, in fact it’s kind of going to affect a lot of our household staples.

As we did our research on grocery prices at the end of 2021, we stumbled upon this ‘Reddit’ thread of people discussing how much their grocery bills have increased from 2020 to 2021. Basically, one Aussie was asking if anyone else had found that the cost of living was rising substantially. They stated that they knew that inflation has stayed pretty consistent at 3-4%, according to the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA), but that it feels like everywhere you go, everything is costing a hell of a lot more than what it was just a year before. From cafes, to Bunnings and all the supermarkets, everything just seems more expensive, and they wanted to see what other Aussies thought.

When we say the Reddit thread went ‘crazy’, we mean it. There were hundreds of Aussies commenting saying they had not only noticed the cost of living was increasing substantially, but that the biggest and most hard hitting increase was their grocery bill. Take this one Aussie, a user named “AnOldMate”, for example, because he even has proof:

“Some people are claiming grocery shopping hasn’t increased and if it has, it hasn’t gone up a lot. I found an old grocery order from Woolworths from November 2020, the cost was $98." You can see this bill below (Sorry members, it's not the best quality).

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.36.28 am.png
An Old Mate's Woolworths Bill from 2020. Image source: Reddit.

“I’ve gone onto the Woolworths online shop and added the exact same items (two items not available so I got the cheaper option then what I paid last year) In December 2021, the same shop is $137." You can see this bill below.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.37.27 am.png
An Old Mate's identical Woolies order to 2020's order, but in 2021. Image source: Reddit.

That’s a whole $39 more for the exact same grocery shop just one year later…

I guess if you’re someone who has noticed your weekly grocery shopping hitting the wallet a little harder than usual, then you can take some solace in the fact that it’s not just you that’s noticing this. But what is it exactly that’s driving up the cost of our groceries? A previous article we posted in 2021 discussed the role of the pandemic and panic buyers in causing a sharp jump in prices. I mean we all remember the terrors of trying to get toilet paper back in 2020, but that was over 2 years ago now? And hasn’t panic buying calmed down a bit? Well, it turns out that panic buying is really only one factor in a series of factors that is leading to this bizarre grocery price increase, other factors include:

Inflation

shutterstock_1966788610.jpg
Grocery Prices are on the rise in Australia. Image source: Shutterstock.

Inflation is pretty standard. I mean, take it from the reddit user “AnOldMate” who said that inflation was only 3-4% according to the RBA (don’t worry, we double checked this and he’s right). We saw inflation fluctuate a lot between 2020 and 2021 with the pandemic, but it really hasn’t gone up any more than normal, meaning that we can’t blame these massive price hikes purely on inflation.

Low supply and high demand
Basically, we all want the same supplies, whether it be meat, vegetables, toilet paper or your favourite block of chocolate (this is the high demand), and the reality is there isn’t exactly enough to go around. Now, by this we aren’t saying there is a shortage, but we are saying that supermarkets like Coles, Woolies, Aldi and IGA are having to fight more than ever, to get their stock (this is the low supply). Which naturally drives up the prices, because the highest bidder always wins. You get the gist eh?

The reason we are seeing a low supply of common grocery goods can be put down to three major causes, they are shipping issues, natural disasters and supply chain issues. But let’s break these down a little, shall we?

Shipping issues

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 10.07.02 am.png
The Suez Canal Blockage. Image source: India Today.

Now who here remembers the Ever Given ship I spoke about in our 21 events that defined 2021 article? You know the ship that somehow ended up diagonal across the canal in Egypt because of “a gust of wind” and stopped one of the biggest shipping routes in the world for about 5 days? Well, this not-so-little shipping issue probably had something to do with our grocery prices going up.

You see, this 5 day delay didn’t just stop ships from being able to get through the canal, it made them reroute to a longer route, which, when carrying perishable items isn’t exactly ideal. Now, I know what you’re thinking, surely perishable food would be frozen? And it is. But the longer it’s in that ship, the closer it gets to it’s best before date, and the later it gets onto the shelves and into our homes. Which means one of two things: either we get it just before it goes out of date or it doesn’t get to us in time and the product gets disposed of.

In addition to this ship blocking the world’s busiest shipping route, we have the pandemic. The pandemic adds even more time to the shipping process because everything has to go ‘into isolation’ (yes, just like us humans) before it can hit Australian shelves. Which makes that time on the ship even longer and of course, the longer it’s on the ship, the more it costs the importers. The more it costs the importers, the more our supermarkets have to pay to get the stock on our shelves…

So I guess that being the whole shipping thing, maybe we should just buy Australian-made products, because doesn’t that kind of solve everything?

Natural disasters

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.00.23 pm.png
The Mice Plague. Image source: The Independent.

Well, I’m glad you asked. But unfortunately, buying Australian-made products doesn’t necessarily keep those grocery prices down. Why? Well, our Aussie farmers have had a pretty tough few years. From fires, to mice plagues (remember the one I spoke about in this article) to flooding and droughts, it’s been bloody hard going. We’ve seen huge crops destroyed, farm animals killed, and Aussie farmers really struggle to get their produce on the shelves. So the less product there is, the more expensive they become, because of the whole high demand, low supply the Aussie farmers that do have supply (and had to work their bottoms off to supply it), can charge more purely because one, there’s more competition trying to get their product (the highest bidder, wins again) and two, they probably had to work far harder than usual to produce their crop against all the elements.

Supply chain issues
And you know what? We really wished it stopped there, but it doesn’t. As if shipping delays and natural disasters weren’t enough, we’ve seen the entire supply chain impacted by the pandemic. Whether that be our truckies struggling to travel interstate and when they do, contracting COVID and having to isolate, leaving them unable to work for at least two weeks, to workers in the factories themselves either contracting COVID, having family members contract COVID so they have to isolate and so on and so forth. Essentially, workers become scarce, less people are on the manufacturing floor or transporting the products around the country, therefore churning out less work OR working overtime, costing the companies more to churn out the same amount of work as a normal amount of employees would.

Shrinkflation

Business Insider Australia.jpg
Tim Tam Shrinkflation. Image source: Business Insider Australia.

Okay, I feel like we can’t talk about price hikes without addressing shrinkflation, so I’m going to keep this segment short and sweet. What is shrinkflation you might be thinking? According to Collins Dictionary, shrinkflation is a reduction in size of an item of packaged food, such as a chocolate bar, while the price remains the same. Basically, if you have ever thought to yourself wow, those Cadbury blocks or those packets of pasta used to be a lot bigger, but I must be ‘imagining things’. Well, you're not imagining things. The reality is a lot of the products on our shelves today used to be a lot bigger.

Here’s a great example for you: Let’s say you usually buy a 1kg bag of flour for $2. Seems reasonable, eh? Then a year later you notice that the same packet of flour is only 700g but still costs $2. If you buy the same number of items then your expenses aren't going to increase, but with smaller quantities being offered, you're going to have to go and buy more to make up for it, resulting in more money being spent and more visits to the supermarket, hitting your wallets harder than ever.

Of course with low supply and high demand, we could start to see our everyday products shrink even more so the product can be dispersed across a greater number of people. Now we aren’t saying this is what is happening or will happen, but here’s a rough example so you get the picture. Let’s say our strawberry farmers had a shocking season. Majority of the strawberry crops were ruined, leaving a small amount of strawberries available to harvest. The strawberry farmers then sell their strawberries to a supermarket chain who decides to put fewer strawberries in each punnet, but doesn’t lower the price to reflect this because they had to buy them from the farmers at an increased price…

Wow Maddie, you’re making some sense here, so where does this leave us?
Well my friends, long story short, it’s actually a bloody nightmare. Technically, if 2022 were to be better pandemic-wise than 2020 and 2021 then we should see our grocery costs coming down, but it’s really hard to say whether that will actually happen. There are two main reasons for why it’s hard to say whether 2022 will be better cost-wise:
  1. We are only going to start seeing the repercussions of all the natural disasters in our next crop, and we also can’t say if another one will or won’t happen. So our farmers might have a stellar season, or they might have a bad one.
  2. Now the prices are where they are, the supermarkets could start getting their supply cheaper and not change their prices to reflect that, purely because they would start making an even better profit margin… Now we aren’t saying they will do this, but they very well could if they wanted to.
What is the SDC going to do about this price hike?
So I guess long story short, you can expect 2022 to be a year of the unknown in terms of grocery prices, so we really want to focus on comparing our top supermarkets products (Coles, Woolies, Aldi and IGA) for pricing and quality to see what is worth you spending your money on, and what’s a total rip off.

We are also going to keep a really close eye on all of these supermarkets’ weekly deals, to make sure you can optimise your grocery shopping in the best way possible. Basically, we are taking our deals and discounts to a whole new level, to make sure these price increases don’t hit your wallet too hard.

Stick with us ladies and gents and we will take care of you in 2022.

Sources: Reddit, Trading Economics, sl.nsw.gov.au and ABC.

Sponsored
Excellent post…..who does this hit the most…pensioners ..low income families…thank you for the information. I shop every fortnight and could not believe my bill had increased so much, things I buy all the time have gone up by 20 or 30 cents ..soon adds up. I will be watching your post for more information…well done guys ❤️❤️

Thank you for this information Maddie and great research, price hikes hit the lower incomes and pensioners more. I now shop every fortnight because of the price hike and seem to get a lot less for my dollar. I am going to watch your post with interest.

A fantastic article that I read with great interest. Grocery shopping is becoming a nightmare, I try to shop to a budget but I find my budget is having to be revised almost monthly. I now mostly shop online so that I don't get caught up with impulse buys but it does mean that my shop is getting predictable and boring. Hopefully, with all this new information I'll be able to spice up my menu!;)

You probably read our article yesterday on what you can expect from us in 2022, but what we didn’t touch on is that we are wanting to focus now, more than ever, on the best deals and discounts you can get on your weekly grocery shop.

Unfortunately, it’s no secret that grocery prices are going up, and if you haven’t noticed that you’re spending a bit more money on your weekly trip to the supermarket, then you may have read some of our articles last year that spoke about things like dairy product prices increasing. It seems increasing prices aren’t stopping at dairy products, in fact it’s kind of going to affect a lot of our household staples.

As we did our research on grocery prices at the end of 2021, we stumbled upon this ‘Reddit’ thread of people discussing how much their grocery bills have increased from 2020 to 2021. Basically, one Aussie was asking if anyone else had found that the cost of living was rising substantially. They stated that they knew that inflation has stayed pretty consistent at 3-4%, according to the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA), but that it feels like everywhere you go, everything is costing a hell of a lot more than what it was just a year before. From cafes, to Bunnings and all the supermarkets, everything just seems more expensive, and they wanted to see what other Aussies thought.

When we say the Reddit thread went ‘crazy’, we mean it. There were hundreds of Aussies commenting saying they had not only noticed the cost of living was increasing substantially, but that the biggest and most hard hitting increase was their grocery bill. Take this one Aussie, a user named “AnOldMate”, for example, because he even has proof:

“Some people are claiming grocery shopping hasn’t increased and if it has, it hasn’t gone up a lot. I found an old grocery order from Woolworths from November 2020, the cost was $98." You can see this bill below (Sorry members, it's not the best quality).

View attachment 798

“I’ve gone onto the Woolworths online shop and added the exact same items (two items not available so I got the cheaper option then what I paid last year) In December 2021, the same shop is $137." You can see this bill below.

View attachment 799
An Old Mate's identical Woolies order to 2020's order, but in 2021. Image source: Reddit.

I guess if you’re someone who has noticed your weekly grocery shopping hitting the wallet a little harder than usual, then you can take some solace in the fact that it’s not just you that’s noticing this. But what is it exactly that’s driving up the cost of our groceries? A previous article we posted in 2021 discussed the role of the pandemic and panic buyers in causing a sharp jump in prices. I mean we all remember the terrors of trying to get toilet paper back in 2020, but that was over 2 years ago now? And hasn’t panic buying calmed down a bit? Well, it turns out that panic buying is really only one factor in a series of factors that is leading to this bizarre grocery price increase, other factors include:

Inflation

View attachment 800

Inflation is pretty standard. I mean, take it from the reddit user “AnOldMate” who said that inflation was only 3-4% according to the RBA (don’t worry, we double checked this and he’s right). We saw inflation fluctuate a lot between 2020 and 2021 with the pandemic, but it really hasn’t gone up any more than normal, meaning that we can’t blame these massive price hikes purely on inflation.

Basically, we all want the same supplies, whether it be meat, vegetables, toilet paper or your favourite block of chocolate (this is the high demand), and the reality is there isn’t exactly enough to go around. Now, by this we aren’t saying there is a shortage, but we are saying that supermarkets like Coles, Woolies, Aldi and IGA are having to fight more than ever, to get their stock (this is the low supply). Which naturally drives up the prices, because the highest bidder always wins. You get the gist eh?

The reason we are seeing a low supply of common grocery goods can be put down to three major causes, they are shipping issues, natural disasters and supply chain issues. But let’s break these down a little, shall we?

Shipping issues

View attachment 803

Now who here remembers the Ever Given ship I spoke about in our 21 events that defined 2021 article? You know the ship that somehow ended up diagonal across the canal in Egypt because of “a gust of wind” and stopped one of the biggest shipping routes in the world for about 5 days? Well, this not-so-little shipping issue probably had something to do with our grocery prices going up.

You see, this 5 day delay didn’t just stop ships from being able to get through the canal, it made them reroute to a longer route, which, when carrying perishable items isn’t exactly ideal. Now, I know what you’re thinking, surely perishable food would be frozen? And it is. But the longer it’s in that ship, the closer it gets to it’s best before date, and the later it gets onto the shelves and into our homes. Which means one of two things: either we get it just before it goes out of date or it doesn’t get to us in time and the product gets disposed of.

In addition to this ship blocking the world’s busiest shipping route, we have the pandemic. The pandemic adds even more time to the shipping process because everything has to go ‘into isolation’ (yes, just like us humans) before it can hit Australian shelves. Which makes that time on the ship even longer and of course, the longer it’s on the ship, the more it costs the importers. The more it costs the importers, the more our supermarkets have to pay to get the stock on our shelves…

So I guess that being the whole shipping thing, maybe we should just buy Australian-made products, because doesn’t that kind of solve everything?

Natural disasters

View attachment 802

Well, I’m glad you asked. But unfortunately, buying Australian-made products doesn’t necessarily keep those grocery prices down. Why? Well, our Aussie farmers have had a pretty tough few years. From fires, to mice plagues (remember the one I spoke about in this article) to flooding and droughts, it’s been bloody hard going. We’ve seen huge crops destroyed, farm animals killed, and Aussie farmers really struggle to get their produce on the shelves. So the less product there is, the more expensive they become, because of the whole high demand, low supply the Aussie farmers that do have supply (and had to work their bottoms off to supply it), can charge more purely because one, there’s more competition trying to get their product (the highest bidder, wins again) and two, they probably had to work far harder than usual to produce their crop against all the elements.

Supply chain issues
And you know what? We really wished it stopped there, but it doesn’t. As if shipping delays and natural disasters weren’t enough, we’ve seen the entire supply chain impacted by the pandemic. Whether that be our truckies struggling to travel interstate and when they do, contracting COVID and having to isolate, leaving them unable to work for at least two weeks, to workers in the factories themselves either contracting COVID, having family members contract COVID so they have to isolate and so on and so forth. Essentially, workers become scarce, less people are on the manufacturing floor or transporting the products around the country, therefore churning out less work OR working overtime, costing the companies more to churn out the same amount of work as a normal amount of employees would.

Shrinkflation

View attachment 801

Okay, I feel like we can’t talk about price hikes without addressing shrinkflation, so I’m going to keep this segment short and sweet. What is shrinkflation you might be thinking? According to Collins Dictionary, shrinkflation is a reduction in size of an item of packaged food, such as a chocolate bar, while the price remains the same. Basically, if you have ever thought to yourself wow, those Cadbury blocks or those packets of pasta used to be a lot bigger, but I must be ‘imagining things’. Well, you're not imagining things. The reality is a lot of the products on our shelves today used to be a lot bigger.

Here’s a great example for you: Let’s say you usually buy a 1kg bag of flour for $2. Seems reasonable, eh? Then a year later you notice that the same packet of flour is only 700g but still costs $2. If you buy the same number of items then your expenses aren't going to increase, but with smaller quantities being offered, you're going to have to go and buy more to make up for it, resulting in more money being spent and more visits to the supermarket, hitting your wallets harder than ever.

Of course with low supply and high demand, we could start to see our everyday products shrink even more so the product can be dispersed across a greater number of people. Now we aren’t saying this is what is happening or will happen, but here’s a rough example so you get the picture. Let’s say our strawberry farmers had a shocking season. Majority of the strawberry crops were ruined, leaving a small amount of strawberries available to harvest. The strawberry farmers then sell their strawberries to a supermarket chain who decides to put fewer strawberries in each punnet, but doesn’t lower the price to reflect this because they had to buy them from the farmers at an increased price…

Well my friends, long story short, it’s actually a bloody nightmare. Technically, if 2022 were to be better pandemic-wise than 2020 and 2021 then we should see our grocery costs coming down, but it’s really hard to say whether that will actually happen. There are two main reasons for why it’s hard to say whether 2022 will be better cost-wise:

1. We are only going to start seeing the repercussions of all the natural disasters in our next crop, and we also can’t say if another one will or won’t happen. So our farmers might have a stellar season, or they might have a bad one.
  2. Now the prices are where they are, the supermarkets could start getting their supply cheaper and not change their prices to reflect that, purely because they would start making an even better profit margin… Now we aren’t saying they will do this, but they very well could if they wanted to.
So I guess long story short, you can expect 2022 to be a year of the unknown in terms of grocery prices, so we really want to focus on comparing our top supermarkets products (Coles, Woolies, Aldi and IGA) for pricing and quality to see what is worth you spending your money on, and what’s a total rip off.

We are also going to keep a really close eye on all of these supermarkets’ weekly deals, to make sure you can optimise your grocery shopping in the best way possible. Basically, we are taking our deals and discounts to a whole new level, to make sure these price increases don’t hit your wallet too hard.

How can you look after us as you say, when we cant stop supermarkets putting up prices. They won't listen to us. They know we need the product's so they dont care. It's all about money.

Well written and identifies several factors.

The other one is deliberate intent.
As the ACCC has restated this week, “it’s not illegal to price gouge”
Many Australian businesses will charge the maximum they can in all situations.
What the market will bear is not a recent strategy.

To describe this as collusion needs evidence..many enquires into petrol have found known. Though all prices at all locations increase within a few hours. This basic market manipulation.
Super markets are no different.
Our only power is to refuse to spend..
However some sections are too well paid and are enough to support this higher cost..higher inflation strategy.
It’s by design to have high(er) inflation..
A disaster for those on fixed incomes.
The alternative is bulk buying direct from suppliers
Reduce the market share of the supermarkets, regain some control over prices to reflect costs.

View attachment 798

View attachment 799

Inflation

View attachment 800

Shipping issues

View attachment 803

Natural disasters

View attachment 802

Supply chain issues

Shrinkflation

View attachment 801

Thank you for this very concise report - sadly it all makes so much sense. We will all have to learn to somehow live with this and hope at some time supply increases, and the supermarkets make the effort to reduce their prices when that happens!

Many Supermarket specials are 2 for and as a single pensioner find this very frustrating. Also their rewards card spend $50 week for 2 weeks. I very rarely purchase meat and never at Coles or Woolworths.
I shop carefully and shop 1/2 price specials. I don’t run out of regular items and keep a back up. Shop smart and I check all prices and receipts.

Great article. Thanks Maddie. As a pensioner I too have noticed the price hikes. I always shop the half-price specials. Buying home brands seems to help but some of those products aren't good quality. If you learn which ones are good value it's a great idea to stick to those. Also reading the labels on home brands is very beneficial. It's often true that they are just brand name products labelled differently. We all need to become very savvy on what we buy.

View attachment 798

View attachment 799

Inflation

View attachment 800

Shipping issues

View attachment 803

Natural disasters

View attachment 802

Supply chain issues

Shrinkflation

View attachment 801

Fantastic post Maddie, very interesting reading. Thankyou

Wow Maddie, you have certainly taken on a task and a half. I wish you luck. I shop between my local Coles and Woolies, pick the eyes out of the specials and click and collect both. My weekly menu (not always stuck to) relies on meat and vege specials and when anything is extra good value I double up and freeze where able. My freezer is always full and this makes it more energy efficient, so money saved there also. The most important thing with a freezer is to label everything, date it, write contents on label and store in appropriate sized plastic containers (mine are Tupperware and a great investment) but cheaper ones acceptable. I also keep a record of the contents, deleting and adding as needed. This all takes a little extra time but is so well worth the effort and you soon get into a routine. Five minutes extra saves 20 minutes trying to find what is in the freezer.

Thank you so much. The article is clear and succinct. Easy to read and full of excellent information.
Well done!!!!

Reactions: Ricci
Thought-provoking article.
Some items are now considered luxury items, as prices have risen and pension has not in same proportions. Have to be very frugal....
Yes we are 3-4 years away from having to go on a pension. I know I will not be able to eat the same foods I love as we just won’t have the money. It’s quite a frightening prospect. I was a stay at home mum until my youngest of 4 was around 8 and then mostly self employed and super funds just weren’t in our reach to save. So we have very little super as we didn’t contribute until our business was able to manage some savings and it’s just not enough to let us do an income stream. I feel like we face a bleak retirement which is very sad when it should be the time of our life to feel free and to travel.

• Sad
I am so glad that Maddie and SDC are out there helping us so that we know we aren’t losing our minds in things like shrinkflation and how our hard earned dollars are not stretching as far as they used too. Keep up the good work.

I have found especially on fruit and vegetables, you only get what you pay for. Cheaper prices cheaper produce. You end up throwing away a third. So do we shop every second day or pay more for products that are always fresher and last longer. I prefer a fruiterer, but they are going out of business trying to compete with supermarket chains

I have found especially on fruit and vegetables, you only get what you pay for. Cheaper prices cheaper produce. You end up throwing away a third. So do we shop every second day or pay more for products that are always fresher and last longer. I prefer a fruiterer, but they are going out of business trying to compete with supermarket chains
I try to buy as much as I can from the Woolies "The Odd Bunch" range of fruit and veg, it is usually significantly cheaper. This is perfectly good fruit and veg that is maybe misshapen or has a skin blemish so can't be sold as grade A. If it gets to be a bit past it's best I use it in cooking or make smoothies out of it. I waste very little but have saved real money.:)