Australia's cyber fast-track: Millions eligible for faster and reliable internet after NBN upgrade!

Booking a holiday, streaming the latest TV series, or simply staying connected with loved ones—the internet is at the heart of modern life.

However, for many Australians, a slow and unreliable connection has been a source of frustration, and it's no surprise that the demand for a robust and speedy internet connection is at an all-time high.

That's all set to change for millions across the country, with a significant upgrade to the National Broadband Network (NBN).

The digital landscape in Australia has evolved dramatically, with the average household's data usage skyrocketing, and the number of smart devices multiplying.

The latest NBN milestone is a game-changer, offering two million homes in Victoria and New South Wales the chance to ditch their outdated copper connections for fibre technology that's 18 times faster and far more reliable.

compressed-shutterstock_1179787024.jpeg
NBN announced upgrades across Victoria and NSW, enabling two million users to be eligible for faster and more reliable internet connection. Credits: Shutterstock

According to a study, in 2021, the average number of internet-connected devices per Australian household stood at 20.5 with projections suggesting this figure would increase to 33.8 by the year 2025.

By the same year, the government and NBN aim to have over 10 million homes and businesses enjoying the fastest internet speeds available, thanks to a $2.4 billion investment.

Based on the most recent information provided by NBN, households in Victoria typically consume approximately 443GB of data per month, while those in NSW use around 457GB.

Eligible households and businesses can request an upgrade at no installation cost when they sign up for a higher-speed plan.

When compared to copper-based connections, full fibre will lead to improved video call quality, more dependable streaming services, and the capacity to connect more devices simultaneously.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland heralded this development as a significant step, saying, ‘Fast and reliable full-fibre broadband unlocks greater social inclusion and economic productivity, it’s essential infrastructure in 2024.’

‘This is a fantastic milestone for two million households in NSW and Victoria who have been saddled with slow and unreliable copper technology rolled out by the former government.’

‘Access to this technology is a game changer for families who have had to struggle with dropouts and slow speeds over copper,’ she added.

According to Anna Perrin, Chief Customer Officer of NBN, a fibre upgrade has the potential to ‘transform your internet experience’.

‘Whether you’re working from home, streaming your favourite shows, gaming online, or connecting with your loved ones, a fibre upgrade can help make a difference to your online experience, particularly when multiple users are online at the same time,’ she said.

Ms Perrin noted that there had been considerable demand for full fibre in NSW and Victoria, with over 173,000 residences and commercial establishments already expressing interest in an upgrade.

Individuals can verify if their address qualifies for the upgrade by visiting the NBN website.

As millions of Australians become eligible for faster and more reliable internet, the proposed new speed options by the NBN offer a promising opportunity to revolutionise the internet experience for users across the country.

With advancements in internet technology paving the way for improved connectivity and enhanced browsing experiences, Australians can look forward to accessing online resources and staying connected with loved ones more seamlessly than ever before.

By exploring these new speed options and embracing the potential of upgraded internet services, people can harness the full benefits of digital connectivity in their daily lives.
Key Takeaways
  • Millions of Australian households and businesses are now eligible for faster, more reliable internet with upgrades to the National Broadband Network (NBN).
  • The full-fibre rollout means eligible customers can request an upgrade to fibre at no installation cost with a higher-speed plan.
  • The move from copper to full fibre will enable smoother video calls, more reliable streaming services, and support for more devices simultaneously.
  • By the end of 2025, the Australian government and NBN plan to have more than 10 million homes and businesses with access to the fastest internet speeds, as part of a $2.4 billion investment.
Have you checked your eligibility for the NBN full-fibre upgrade? Are you looking forward to a future with faster internet, or have you already experienced the benefits of a full-fibre connection? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
The only result I get is "You are connected to the nbn® network"
so it looks as if I remain on the eroded copper network which drops out when it rains.

Reactions: saundy
And for those of us in rural areas who could NOT afford the nbn connection fee; quoted $2200 from the street to my battle-axe block connection site, 60 metres? ZERO ! Mobile internet which drops out frequently on a daily basis!😡

Reactions: Abby2
I use a satellite connection and it is blistering fast. No need to connect to any cables or wires.

I use a satellite connection and it is blistering fast. No need to connect to any cables or wires.
Mind my asking Ron but who are you with and how much is the cost ???
I am with TPG and the cost is $59 per month and the mobile phone is $17/pm - more recently they got rid of email to another company which I see as becoming a further cost in the future.

WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE COUNTRY LIKE SA FOR INSTANCE SCREW THE EAST COAST AND THOS WHO BUILD STUPID HOUSES ON FLOOD PLAINS SO THAT THE REST OF THE COUNTRY HAS TO SUFFER BY PAYING HIGHER INSURANE FOR THE DICKHEADS WHO KEEP GETTIN FLOODED CAUSE OF THEIR STUPIDITY

Reactions: Abby2
WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE COUNTRY LIKE SA FOR INSTANCE SCREW THE EAST COAST AND THOS WHO BUILD STUPID HOUSES ON FLOOD PLAINS SO THAT THE REST OF THE COUNTRY HAS TO SUFFER BY PAYING HIGHER INSURANE FOR THE DICKHEADS WHO KEEP GETTIN FLOODED CAUSE OF THEIR STUPIDITY
Careful Pussy, be a good pussy.

How about finishing the original b/band for all ? no, must fiddle with it new improved I/net ...rubbish....the real money to be made is in collecting the payment ...yes billing is the new industry ,...its better than the actual internet . maybe we need more companies collecting the money....

Reactions: Abby2 and Mr Chips
NSW & VIC get everything!!! QLD is always so slack, It sucks up here so if your from NSW or VIC don't move here we are so backwards and have slow net.

Reactions: Mr Chips
NSW & VIC get everything!!! QLD is always so slack, It sucks up here so if your from NSW or VIC don't move here we are so backwards and have slow net.
I'm in NSW am on NBN on the old copper wires - my net drops out when it rains - the copper wires are some 50 years old