Australians take to social media to voice their concerns over skyrocketing price of groceries — “It has gone absolutely bonkers”

An Australian social media user's complaint about rising prices has prompted a series of grumblings from other Aussies about the economic stress that the Russia-Ukraine conflict and ongoing covid supply chain issues have been having on grocery bills.

Taking the grievance to Reddit, user @10khours said that prices of essential products have gone "absolutely bonkers" over the past few weeks, sharing that the costs of some items have gone up by almost 20 per cent compared to their prices from just "2 to 4 weeks ago".

The post read: "We had already seen a lot of food inflation this year but it's gone absolutely bonkers over the last 2 weeks."

The user also shared some of the price changes over the past few weeks, including the 50 c increase on Lindt Dark Chocolate, which now costs $5 (up from $4.50), Madras curry paste from $5.50 to $6.80, and mushrooms, which now retail for $6.50 per 500 g from their original price of $5.

"Guessing it's because of petrol prices," the user speculated.

While the speculation holds a certain truth to it as the Russia-Ukraine conflict has indeed impacted the global supply of oil, causing massive price hikes on petrol products across the globe and subsequently trickling down to increase the cost of basic commodities, a number of Aussies claimed that other factors were also at play.

Credit: YouTube/WION

One user wrote: "It's a triple whammy. Covid, Flooding, Petrol Costs. I feel it hasn't begun to get worse yet."

"There’s been a pandemic, a war and a flood. It’s not a conspiracy," another added.

A third agreed, writing: "This is the correct answer. While inflation due to money supply plays a role, the other factors are the main contributor to high prices."

One user shared their view that the flooding on the east coast has created chaos with the supply of fresh products in supermarkets.

The comment read: " A few weeks ago, Queensland and northern NSW were flooding. A lot of the fresh produce has been wrecked in the last 2 weeks."

"Farms flooded, what hasn’t been destroyed by flooding is waterlogged or doesn’t look great."

"If it doesn’t look great, it won’t meet the supermarket standards imposed."

A0IA6aTTHrM8yt8E66WzYe1AP4N46KRPJPrgFmgE9-eUWLxVKMzpdXMBNBfE9a3MuZ7dvcExC6J0glCqCcQH9I3Gelb20UJxvx2S8QOOb8_NTQivbYa8i8fPOV_Z6mAgBGqtR4Q

Aside from the rising petrol prices due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Australians cited the bushfires and COVID-19 absenteeism as culprits for the rising prices of grocery items. Credit: Shutterstock.

Others shared the price hikes of some grocery items in their local supermarket stores, with many complaining that the increase in costs on regular purchases during their grocery shop has caused them to go over budget for their weekly shop.

One person wrote: "Frozen blueberries up from $4 to $5.80 was my "oh s**t" moment."

"My food bill has gone up from 250 to 370 over the last month but the last two weeks has increased again, I'm paying nearly 400 for the same amount of shopping that I got 2 months ago," another quipped.

A third chimed in: "My wife’s gluten-free biscuits went from $7 to $7.70. Didn’t notice until the 30% off came to $5.39 instead of the usual $4.90 I buy them at…"

"Broccoli was $9 a ******* kg. I don't know if it's broccoli season or not but that's ridiculous, I eat a lot of broccoli!" another complained.

Speaking of vegetables in season, one person caught the attention of a number of other users after admitting to paying $3.50 for a piece of cucumber, which the user claimed to be “in season”.

One user replied: "Came here to say this. They were $1 a couple of months ago."

"Aren't cucumbers 96% water? Just drink straight from the tap buddy!" another sarcastically suggested.

A third added: "Paid $4. Wouldn't have done it if it wasn't recipe specific."

As it turns out, cucumbers are actually in season from November to March, with some areas experiencing a surplus.

Reddit user @Ieatclowns said that there were "tonnes of cucumber" in his area.

He wrote: "Oh my God I'm going to start a market stall! Out front. We have tonnes of cucumber...I'd sell them for cheaper."

"I think I should get thinking about this. People can get their veggies more affordably and we can use the extra to pay for our chicken breeding costs."

However, as mentioned earlier, a number of users stressed that the flooding and other uncontrollable phenomena — such as the bushfires and COVID-related absenteeism — have halted the transportation of fresh produce from farms to supermarkets, limiting the supply of these commodities and subsequently causing the price hikes.

UxTOaUELai6lPh-au-oy-0194BqOJG4wOzJEAZ0kS1YKCSwuH-v8HCAF8oUcNUa-Jvu3NBykW5mhgGK4JEW5OhSodSDnOgHC8y1KbGBVV8PH6_UMveWj8b_a1MnLFKv-SS3ikr0

The price hike on cucumbers has shocked many Aussie shoppers due to the fact that it is currently in season. Credit: Shutterstock.

Elsewhere in the thread, others discussed the “shrinkflation” that is happening on some brands, with many voicing out their concerns about how some products are now being retailed at a “lower quality”.

Shrinkflation is a phenomenon in which the size of a product decreases over time while the price remains the same.

This can occur when manufacturers switch to cheaper ingredients or reduce the amount of product in a package. Shrinkflation can be difficult to spot, as it happens gradually over time.

Meanwhile, a number of Australian Reddit users called for the review of the interest rates, with one person sarcastically writing: "Will be funny when inflation hits 7% and the RBA holds rates at 0.1% lol."

A consumer group has voiced the same concern, calling out the government to review the cost of living in Australia after a new study reveals that the cost of some grocery items increased by up to 94 per cent.

We must admit that the whole situation has been overwhelming for all of us. The SDC team is doing our best to provide you with fresh information, such as economic news and deals, that can help you plan out your day-to-day spending and save a few dollars here and there.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the federal government intervene with the skyrocketing prices of commodities? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I think a lot of the prices rises have occured because of the amount of on ine shopping is done. I doubt the delivery costs would cover the cost of picking the items off the shelves, scanning, packing, delivery and staff. just an additional way of looking at price increases.

Reactions: Phyll and Ricci
As a pensioner making ends meet gets harder each fortnight. Fresh vegetables are out as is quality meat and anything that resembles a treat.. Savoury mince with frozen vegetables is eked out to last the week in small portions. Something needs to be done to help people maintain a healthy diet at an affordable cost.

Having read this article for the second time I can't help but wonder just how privileged we are. Sure, Lindt chocolate might have gone up by 50c and mushroom prices may have exploded but, really? Most of us have a degree of good health, a roof over our heads, food in the cupboard, water to drink and clothes on our back. No body is trying to kill us, bombs aren't falling in our neighbourhoods. We know where our family members are and that they are safe. No one is starving us out and making us take dangerous journeys to safety. We do not have to rely on the goodness of international charities to ensure we have somewhere to sleep and a hot meal. Or, closer to home, we are not having to clean up the unholy mess left from the recent floods, worry that our homes have been declared unlivable and what we are going to do next. I for one will from now on cheerfully pay the increased costs or do without the extras and make a donation to those who are helping.:rolleyes::cry:

If pensioners are finding it hard, try being a self funded retiree with today's interest rates and no super - we are the forgotten ones, discarded by Centrelink after years of working and paying for the pensions of others only to be told when it's our turn that we are not entitled to a pension. I believe that in both New Zealand and Holland everyone gets the pension - why not here! Please explain as Pauline would say.

My shopping of late has changed from "what would I like" to what do I need and where can I get it on special.":(:cry: Out has gone biscuits, cakes, lollies and the like in has come generic home brands, bulk buys etc.;)
Of all the breads that Aldi sell the best one is Grain and Seed. It has a pleasant taste and the seeds do botget under your wallies (dentures to those who don't know what wallies are). It also happens t be the cheapest but it keeps well and remains enjoyable bryond it'd Use By Date.

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
Having read this article for the second time I can't help but wonder just how privileged we are. Sure, Lindt chocolate might have gone up by 50c and mushroom prices may have exploded but, really? Most of us have a degree of good health, a roof over our heads, food in the cupboard, water to drink and clothes on our back. No body is trying to kill us, bombs aren't falling in our neighbourhoods. We know where our family members are and that they are safe. No one is starving us out and making us take dangerous journeys to safety. We do not have to rely on the goodness of international charities to ensure we have somewhere to sleep and a hot meal. Or, closer to home, we are not having to clean up the unholy mess left from the recent floods, worry that our homes have been declared unlivable and what we are going to do next. I for one will from now on cheerfully pay the increased costs or do without the extras and make a donation to those who are helping.:rolleyes::cry:
Well said!! I always say, count your blessings!

Reactions: Ricci and Julia TH
If pensioners are finding it hard, try being a self funded retiree with today's interest rates and no super - we are the forgotten ones, discarded by Centrelink after years of working and paying for the pensions of others only to be told when it's our turn that we are not entitled to a pension. I believe that in both New Zealand and Holland everyone gets the pension - why not here! Please explain as Pauline would say.
My husband declined a request to join up and pay a monthly donation to a charity we don't support (we have our "favourites") He told the worker that we are self-funded retirees and were uncertain of our financial position at that moment. The worker said "If you're a self funded retiree then you certainly could spare some money every month." I have to admit that before we joined the self-funded retirees I thought that way too. However we don't get any of the discounts that pensioners are entitled to and have to pay full price for everything and these costs eat into the savings we need to live off. Many self-funded retirees have property they can't sell but it counts towards their assets - these people are finding costs very difficult.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
👏🏻👏🏻Well said

Reactions: Ricci