Australians Lose Over $3 Million to Bizarre Romance Scam!

In modern-day romance, the equivalent of Cupid, the legendary god of love, appears to have lost its shine.

Instead, cunning online fraudsters manipulate the vulnerabilities of hopeful romantics, leaving them in distress both emotionally and financially.

Although it may sound unbelievable, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has reported that Australians have suffered losses exceeding $3 million due to what they refer to as ‘romantic scams’.

compressed-love.jpeg
Dating apps have become breeding grounds for scams, where cybercriminals create fake profiles to establish emotional connections with unsuspecting users and ultimately defraud them financially. Image by athree23 from pixabay

This unfortunate reality adds a new interpretation to the phrase ‘bleeding hearts’, underscoring the financial and emotional toll inflicted upon individuals who fall victim to these fraudulent schemes.

Making this worse is a particularly malicious scam known as 'pig-butchering', which came from China.

According to Cyber Security Expert Adrianus Warmenhoven, the term holds a literal meaning.

Warmenhoven explains, ‘The scammer gains the trust of their victim (the pig) and lures them into a complex scam (fattens it up) before taking the victim's money (the butchering).’

The ACCC Scamwatch data reported in May alone that dating and romance scams had cost Australians a whopping $3.2 million, with women accounting for 73 per cent of the misappropriated funds.

In our increasingly digitised world, fraudsters employ various delivery methods for their scams, with mobile applications topping the list, followed by social networking sites and email.

Warmenhoven emphasises the scam's effectiveness due to our growing emotional disconnect in our high-tech era.

'This is actually the only scam at the moment that I know where scammers make an effort of having a personal connection with you,’ he said.

compressed-love2.jpeg
Common scams on dating apps involve requests for money, investment schemes, or attempts to extract personal and financial information from victims under the guise of a romantic relationship. Image by jennyueberberg from unsplash

He went on to add, ‘We see that this makes a real difference in a digital world where people don't have a lot of emotional contact. People are really thirsty for real interactions with people.’

The scam often escalates with the fraudster encouraging the victim to make investments in fraudulent cryptocurrency trading platforms.

This highlights how the swindlers seamlessly blend emotional tact with high-tech trickery to ensnare their victims.

Adrian Covich, senior director at cybersecurity firm Proofpoint, urges caution when dealing with financial matters online. ‘Always be wary when you're speaking to people; if you are ever asked for bank details it's smart practice to discontinue the call,’ he advised.

Further, spotting red flags in online conversation—the mention of considerable wealth, and a rushed eagerness to have you invest in crypto, can all point towards potential fraud.

Key Takeaways
  • A romance scam originating in China, known as pig-butchering, is increasingly defrauding online daters in Australia.
  • This scam involves cybercriminals developing close and personal relationships with victims on dating apps to gain their trust before swindling them out of their money.
  • According to ACCC Scamwatch data, Australians lost $3.2 million to dating and romance scams in May alone, with mobile apps being the most common delivery method for these scams.
  • Mr Warmenhoven warns of several red flags for potential victims of such scams, including an online partner talking about their wealth or rushing the victim into investing in a fraudulent cryptocurrency platform.
It's critical to remember that in this digital age, a happy heart and a well-guarded wallet must go hand in hand.

Don't let the throbbing hearts and fluttering cupids fool you. Be smart, be safe. Let’s ensure that the only thing we surrender to is love, not fraudulent scams.

Have you ever encountered suspicious or fraudulent activities while engaging in online dating or romance? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe in the digital realm of romance.

Sponsored
Sad isn't it? One would think at his age he wouldn't be prone to 'not seeing the wood for the trees'. Wonder if he had a pre-nuptials.
Q: is that the definition of a wooden heart? pun intended ha ha

Reactions: Ezzy
In modern-day romance, the equivalent of Cupid, the legendary god of love, appears to have lost its shine.

Instead, cunning online fraudsters manipulate the vulnerabilities of hopeful romantics, leaving them in distress both emotionally and financially.

Although it may sound unbelievable, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has reported that Australians have suffered losses exceeding $3 million due to what they refer to as ‘romantic scams’.

View attachment 24829
Dating apps have become breeding grounds for scams, where cybercriminals create fake profiles to establish emotional connections with unsuspecting users and ultimately defraud them financially. Image by athree23 from pixabay

This unfortunate reality adds a new interpretation to the phrase ‘bleeding hearts’, underscoring the financial and emotional toll inflicted upon individuals who fall victim to these fraudulent schemes.

Making this worse is a particularly malicious scam known as 'pig-butchering', which came from China.

According to Cyber Security Expert Adrianus Warmenhoven, the term holds a literal meaning.

Warmenhoven explains, ‘The scammer gains the trust of their victim (the pig) and lures them into a complex scam (fattens it up) before taking the victim's money (the butchering).’

The ACCC Scamwatch data reported in May alone that dating and romance scams had cost Australians a whopping $3.2 million, with women accounting for 73 per cent of the misappropriated funds.

In our increasingly digitised world, fraudsters employ various delivery methods for their scams, with mobile applications topping the list, followed by social networking sites and email.

Warmenhoven emphasises the scam's effectiveness due to our growing emotional disconnect in our high-tech era.

'This is actually the only scam at the moment that I know where scammers make an effort of having a personal connection with you,’ he said.

View attachment 24830
Common scams on dating apps involve requests for money, investment schemes, or attempts to extract personal and financial information from victims under the guise of a romantic relationship. Image by jennyueberberg from unsplash

He went on to add, ‘We see that this makes a real difference in a digital world where people don't have a lot of emotional contact. People are really thirsty for real interactions with people.’

The scam often escalates with the fraudster encouraging the victim to make investments in fraudulent cryptocurrency trading platforms.

This highlights how the swindlers seamlessly blend emotional tact with high-tech trickery to ensnare their victims.

Adrian Covich, senior director at cybersecurity firm Proofpoint, urges caution when dealing with financial matters online. ‘Always be wary when you're speaking to people; if you are ever asked for bank details it's smart practice to discontinue the call,’ he advised.

Further, spotting red flags in online conversation—the mention of considerable wealth, and a rushed eagerness to have you invest in crypto, can all point towards potential fraud.

Key Takeaways

• A romance scam originating in China, known as pig-butchering, is increasingly defrauding online daters in Australia.
  • This scam involves cybercriminals developing close and personal relationships with victims on dating apps to gain their trust before swindling them out of their money.
  • According to ACCC Scamwatch data, Australians lost $3.2 million to dating and romance scams in May alone, with mobile apps being the most common delivery method for these scams.
  • Mr Warmenhoven warns of several red flags for potential victims of such scams, including an online partner talking about their wealth or rushing the victim into investing in a fraudulent cryptocurrency platform.
It's critical to remember that in this digital age, a happy heart and a well-guarded wallet must go hand in hand.

Don't let the throbbing hearts and fluttering cupids fool you. Be smart, be safe. Let’s ensure that the only thing we surrender to is love, not fraudulent scams.

Have you ever encountered suspicious or fraudulent activities while engaging in online dating or romance? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe in the digital realm of romance.
People have to keep a very sharp eye to some posters in Facebook as well as there areb too many of them doing the same thing and promoting nothing but BS..
It happened to me quite a few times but I quickly cut them off when I realise what they were after. The latest one was a Chinese girl (or so the pictures on her page were) who told me that she invested half a million dollars in bitcoin and making over $50,000.00 a day out of it. She then asked me to open an account but when I told her I knew nothing about bitcoin, she replied that she was going to teach me. I immediately put her on ignore.

Reactions: Ezzy and Pink lion

View attachment 24829

View attachment 24830

Key Takeaways

So did Brittany Higgins & nothing

• Sad
Reactions: Pink lion
People have to keep a very sharp eye to some posters in Facebook as well as there areb too many of them doing the same thing and promoting nothing but BS..
It happened to me quite a few times but I quickly cut them off when I realise what they were after. The latest one was a Chinese girl (or so the pictures on her page were) who told me that she invested half a million dollars in bitcoin and making over $50,000.00 a day out of it. She then asked me to open an account but when I told her I knew nothing about bitcoin, she replied that she was going to teach me. I immediately put her on ignore.
I know what you mean. I thought that I had a Russian friend who told me over the course of about five lengthy online chats of how she worked in the city and lived with her grandfather out in the country. She told how she was the only one left, due to a sad motor vehicle accident years earlier. She seemed nice.

Then, she told of her grandfather and his need for knee surgery. I suggested various alternative cures for this, and for his chest issues and she seemed annoyed at me, as all she needed from me, was $30,000.00 and his knees would be fixed.

I said first off, I don't even really know what you look like, aside from the photo of you stepping onto a bus to go to work.

She sent another photo, scantily clad this time, in high heels.

To which I remarked "you should be an arborist darlin', judging by the way you are straddling that tree!" I gave her a 4 for rapport as a score for her scam attempt, and then ended our connection.

I have no trust in internet only affairs, Australian dating sites included.

I know who I like, the moment I meet them in person,

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelpie and Ezzy

View attachment 24829

View attachment 24830

Key Takeaways

It was first used in Benin Africa and adopted by some unscrupulous people worldwide, stop blaming the Chinese for everything, they just gave it a name. Everyone else just calls it a scam.

W

View attachment 24829

View attachment 24830

Key Takeaways

Whats next from these CCP arseholes?

I think we should not judge people who have been scammed as “stupid”. Many people are vulnerable through acute loneliness and insecurities and thus gullible to any kindly or romantic input. It is a terrible shame that they feel so “alone”.

I think we should not judge people who have been scammed as “stupid”. Many people are vulnerable through acute loneliness and insecurities and thus gullible to any kindly or romantic input. It is a terrible shame that they feel so “alone”.
Well, you explained it very well.

I have been by myself well over half of my life, so I feel I can comment that the term feeling alone doesn't describe my experience at all. And I suggest that this could be the same for many (but most certainly not all) people that live totally by themselves.

Over the years I have developed so many hobbies including building, making, carving, drawing writing etc. (there's a lot) that I am never feeling alone, because I am always here.

Life has its lessons and its learning journeys, it's fascinating when I go out socially, as someone is always doing, saying or showing me something interesting. And Utube has heaps of great input to subscribe too, once the not good to feed myself with input, is weeded away.

I am a person who has been interested in how my body interacts and adapts to things around me (Martial arts) since I was 16, so I am constantly delighting in the ability to move myself in patterns that map my actions, to what's around me.

I often entertain myself moving in silence or I put on a bit of music. I may play lightly moving very softly, or spasmodically fast, or isometrically tensed, to do this, feels very good to do. It's a fun thing I express often.

Whereas I do not at all express ever myself this way, amongst friends and actually many do not at all, know of my passionate interest in doing this. My lighthearted nature simply mingles in with others when I am out and about.

I only fully express myself in rooms where I'm professionally sharing information amongst people, who seek to understand how to entertain and express themselves, in similar ways.

Why I am sharing this, is it does not seem that common, that a person can FULLY just be themselves with a partner. To find this, is to find true love because that means to me that you are able to mutually fully express the true essence of yourself.

Most that don't know what I mean however, never consider this as important, however. Life is life. Viva the difference!

Many live a life by themselves, that is likewise self-expressive and because of this, they are constantly entertained.

Unless there's a mutual love interest, or at least a nodded acceptance to whatever each person loves to do, then people that aren't allowed self-expression, find partnerships difficult.

He may love to fix vehicles; she may love to garden etc and that works. But when BOTH feel likewise entertained, by the same thing, even if it's watching the footy, love grows.

As life has moved on, many have learnt that they, loved to sing, or paint, or draw, or love making something, played an instrument, or absently do something that brings them joy.

Most people that I know, that live alone and accept it, don't want to dismiss long term life-love, for a half-life with a person who does not let them express their passion, and soon for me anyway, passion being passion, something needs to change, and if it doesn't change, either I leave, or she does.

People who feel empty,I suggest, may feel this way because they are not allowing themselves, to feel fascinated in life.

When I consider someone, it's never because I am lonely, it's because I am truly fascinated by them. This happens often, as people are amazing, but age differences, social availability, or currently very different income lifestyle levels, and my currently low capacity to gift and entertain, affects my interest.

I won't say more except to say that when someone lives by themselves, it is not in my experience, because they want too.

It is common that many of us, live in life-love. What's required for most like me is for both people, to feel mutually expressed love, and in a partnership where each allows the other, to be all they can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Kelpie
I have been by myself well over half of my life, so I feel I can comment that the term feeling alone doesn't describe my experience at all. And I suggest that this could be the same for many (but most certainly not all) people that live totally by themselves.

Over the years I have developed so many hobbies including building, making, carving, drawing writing etc. (there's a lot) that I am never feeling alone, because I am always here.

Life has its lessons and its learning journeys, it's fascinating when I go out socially, as someone is always doing, saying or showing me something interesting. And Utube has heaps of great input to subscribe too, once the not good to feed myself with input, is weeded away.

I am being a person who has been interested in how my body interacts and adapts to things around me (Martial arts) since I was 16, so I am constantly delighting in the ability to move myself in patterns that map my actions, to what's around me.

I often entertain myself moving in silence or I put on a bit of music. I may play lightly moving very softly, or spasmodically fast, or isometrically tensed, to do this, feels very good to do. It's a fun thing I express often.

Whereas I do not at all express ever myself this way, amongst friends and actually many do not at all, know of my passionate interest in doing this. My lighthearted nature simply mingles in with others when I am out and about.

I only fully express myself in rooms where I'm professionally sharing information amongst people, who seek to understand how to entertain and express themselves, in similar ways.

Why I am sharing this, is it does not seem that common, that a person can FULLY just be themselves with a partner. To find this, is to find true love because that means to me that you are able to mutually fully express the true essence of yourself.

Most that don't know what I mean however, never consider this as important, however. Life is life. Viva the difference!

Many live a life by themselves, that is likewise self-expressive and because of this, they are constantly entertained.

Unless there's a mutual love interest, or at least a nodded acceptance to whatever each person loves to do, then people that aren't allowed self-expression, find partnerships difficult.

He may love to fix vehicles; she may love to garden etc and that works. But when BOTH feel likewise entertained, by the same thing, even if it's watching the footy, love grows.

As life has moved on, many have learnt that they, loved to sing, or paint, or draw, or love making something, played an instrument, or absently do something that brings them joy.

Most people that I know, that live alone and accept it, don't want to dismiss long term life-love, for a half-life with a person who does not let them express their passion, and soon for me anyway, passion being passion, something needs to change, and if it doesn't change, either I leave, or she does.

People who feel empty,I suggest, may feel this way because they are not allowing themselves, to feel fascinated in life.

When I consider someone, it's never because I am lonely, it's because I am truly fascinated by them. This happens often, as people are amazing, but age differences, social availability, or currently very different income lifestyle levels, and my currently low capacity to gift and entertain, affects my interest.

I won't say more except to say that when someone lives by themselves, it is not in my experience, because they want too.

It is common that many of us, live in life-love. What's required for most like me is for both people, to feel mutually expressed love, and in a partnership where each allows the other, to be all they can be.
A very good and fully explained/detailed post. Well done.

With that in mind, enjoy, or at least try to enjoy life to its utmost.

As they say in Italian in a song.....'LA VITA E' BELLA ME LA VOGLIO GODER".

Just play this one, close your eyes. and relax. It was written about 60 years ago or longer.

A very good and fully explained/detailed post. Well done.

With that in mind, enjoy, or at least try to enjoy life to its utmost.

As they say in Italian in a song.....'LA VITA E' BELLA ME LA VOGLIO GODER".

Just play this one, close your eyes. and relax. It was written about 60 years ago or longer.

ha ha ha thank-you for your expressed concern, however you seem to have missed my point and that is my life is wonder filled, I am constantly entertained and sing all the time. she'll show up and if she doesn't...it's all far more than okay.

I once read, & l believe it, "people need to love & be loved". Not being alone could be a part of loving & being loved.

ha ha ha thank-you for your expressed concern, however you seem to have missed my point and that is my life is wonder filled, I am constantly entertained and sing all the time. she'll show up and if she doesn't...it's all far more than okay.
I unerstood what you said, hence why I agreed and posted that part for the ones that don't feel that way.
I used to sing when I was young but then when I came to this Country things were very hard and I lost theb interest on it. BUT, WHEN I AM IN HOT BATH RELAXING, THERE ARE TIMES THAT I STILL DO.