Australians hit $70 billion in personal debt: How the cost of living crisis could affect you

Are you feeling the squeeze of the ever-increasing cost of living in today's economy? You're not alone in this struggle. In fact, there are millions of Australians who are facing a tough financial situation right now.

A recent report has brought to light the staggering fact that Australians collectively owe over $70 billion in personal debts. This shocking revelation stems from a nationwide poll that shows how the rising cost of living has led to a significant surge in personal debt levels among Australians.

To cope with the inflation-driven price hikes in household bills, as well as the rising costs of food and other consumer goods, millions have resorted to loans and credit cards over the past year.

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 1.35.27 PM.png
More and more Aussies are relying on loans and credit cards as the cost of living soars. Credit: Pexels/Mikhail Nilov.

According to research by the popular finance comparison website Finder, the average Australian carries $20,238 in debt, spread across consumer loans and credit cards—an 11 per cent increase from just a year earlier when it was $18,301.

With the inflation rate now at 7 per cent, Australians are feeling the pressure of increased living costs. Finder's data shows that approximately 54 per cent of Australian adults (10.9 million people) had at least one credit card as of last month.

As a result, credit card debts have risen to a whopping $18.6 billion, personal loans have increased to $19.6 billion, and car loans are now worth an estimated $32.3 billion.

In times when Aussies find it increasingly difficult to manage their finances, measures need to be taken to protect their financial health. Finder's Personal Finance Expert, Amy Bradney-George, suggests seeking help managing your debt and making wise decisions to alleviate stress.

The so-called debt snowball method is one approach Bradney-George recommends, which entails paying off the smallest debt first to encourage momentum in clearing debts. She also advises contacting lenders to explore setting up payment plans that fit with income levels. After all, taking control of debt is essential to avoid further complications, especially when it comes to making sure there's food on the table.

Here are a few tips on protecting your financial health, according to an expert.jpg

With the rising cost of living, mounting personal debts, and increasing mortgage repayments, many Aussies are facing difficult financial times. Unfortunately, expenses such as health insurance premiums, HELP debts, and energy bills for some households and small businesses are on the rise, creating even more financial pressure.

Electricity prices for certain households and small businesses in NSW, South Australia, and southeast Queensland are expected to increase by up to 25 per cent from July 1.

Thankfully, the government has announced relief measures for power bills to ease the burden on families and small businesses—a helpful initiative during these challenging times.

Key Takeaways

• Australia's cost of living crisis has led to an explosion in personal debt levels, reaching a combined total of $70 billion.
  • Research by the finance comparison website Finder reveals the average Australian now has $20,238 in debts spread across consumer loans and credit cards.
  • Approximately 54 per cent of the adult population used a credit card last month, and one-in-seven people have a personal or car loan.

It's important to stay alert and take proactive steps to handle our expenses, debts, and budgets. Don't hesitate to seek help when necessary, and be on the lookout for chances to cut costs. Remember, even the tiniest savings today will pave the way for a cosier and more secure tomorrow.

Do you have any other money-saving tips and advice? Share them in the comments below! We're eager to hear from you!

Sponsored
Are you feeling the squeeze of the ever-increasing cost of living in today's economy? You're not alone in this struggle. In fact, there are millions of Australians who are facing a tough financial situation right now.

A recent report has brought to light the staggering fact that Australians collectively owe over $70 billion in personal debts. This shocking revelation stems from a nationwide poll that shows how the rising cost of living has led to a significant surge in personal debt levels among Australians.

To cope with the inflation-driven price hikes in household bills, as well as the rising costs of food and other consumer goods, millions have resorted to loans and credit cards over the past year.

View attachment 23428
More and more Aussies are relying on loans and credit cards as the cost of living soars. Credit: Pexels/Mikhail Nilov.

According to research by the popular finance comparison website Finder, the average Australian carries $20,238 in debt, spread across consumer loans and credit cards—an 11 per cent increase from just a year earlier when it was $18,301.

With the inflation rate now at 7 per cent, Australians are feeling the pressure of increased living costs. Finder's data shows that approximately 54 per cent of Australian adults (10.9 million people) had at least one credit card as of last month.

As a result, credit card debts have risen to a whopping $18.6 billion, personal loans have increased to $19.6 billion, and car loans are now worth an estimated $32.3 billion.

In times when Aussies find it increasingly difficult to manage their finances, measures need to be taken to protect their financial health. Finder's Personal Finance Expert, Amy Bradney-George, suggests seeking help managing your debt and making wise decisions to alleviate stress.

The so-called debt snowball method is one approach Bradney-George recommends, which entails paying off the smallest debt first to encourage momentum in clearing debts. She also advises contacting lenders to explore setting up payment plans that fit with income levels. After all, taking control of debt is essential to avoid further complications, especially when it comes to making sure there's food on the table.

With the rising cost of living, mounting personal debts, and increasing mortgage repayments, many Aussies are facing difficult financial times. Unfortunately, expenses such as health insurance premiums, HELP debts, and energy bills for some households and small businesses are on the rise, creating even more financial pressure.

Electricity prices for certain households and small businesses in NSW, South Australia, and southeast Queensland are expected to increase by up to 25 per cent from July 1.

Thankfully, the government has announced relief measures for power bills to ease the burden on families and small businesses—a helpful initiative during these challenging times.

Key Takeaways

• Australia's cost of living crisis has led to an explosion in personal debt levels, reaching a combined total of $70 billion.
  • Research by the finance comparison website Finder reveals the average Australian now has $20,238 in debts spread across consumer loans and credit cards.
  • Approximately 54 per cent of the adult population used a credit card last month, and one-in-seven people have a personal or car loan.

It's important to stay alert and take proactive steps to handle our expenses, debts, and budgets. Don't hesitate to seek help when necessary, and be on the lookout for chances to cut costs. Remember, even the tiniest savings today will pave the way for a cosier and more secure tomorrow.

Do you have any other money-saving tips and advice? Share them in the comments below! We're eager to hear from you!

Sad to say that SDC also encourages people to buy crap with the scammy google ads in this online newsletter too
As if there aren’t enough ads anywhere already

Reactions: Ricci and Tamaya
Not surprised that we are in so much debt, and they are trying to go republic, do they know how much that would cost us. Also how about lowering the dole, then maybe these dole bloodgers will get of their bums and work for once, I know of a chap is looking for work, but not worth working as the dole pays him more per hour than the wage.

Reactions: Tamaya

View attachment 23428

Key Takeaways

when bottle stores close and the cigarette counters are empty then i will believe we are hard up. OH! and i include playing the pokies.

Sad to say that SDC also encourages people to buy crap with the scammy google ads in this online newsletter too
As if there aren’t enough ads anywhere already
Might I just mention that if we didn't have these "scammy ads" we may not have a newsletter at all. It is the revenue from these ads that allow the lovely people at SDC to continue to provide such a service to us. Whether you take any notice of the ads, or click on them is entirely up to you. Personally I don't even notice them as I'm not interested in them.

All I can say is that someone else has my supposedly debt level. I don't owe anyone anything, in fact I got my credit card statement the other day and I had overpaid last month so am in credit this month.
Same here, we are retired, owe nothing to nobody. Pay credit card off each month, so someone out there owes my debt on top of theirs!

I would say that this is already misinformation to an extend. I am using my credit card for convenience on just about everything. At the end of a period I get a bill. I pay this bill before due date and pay no interest at all. Technically I was in debt, but I really wasn't.

All I can say is that someone else has my supposedly debt level. I don't owe anyone anything, in fact I got my credit card statement the other day and I had overpaid last month so am in credit this month.
Me neither. I am even ahead with the electricity bill, zero balance on the credit card. And I don't get any of the 'initiatives' from the government either. It's called living within your means.

How can so many people be flying off on school holidays whilst still complaining about high cost of living and not able to afford their electricity bill? Couldn't they stay home and have a staycation?

Reactions: Ricci and Klaus A
My credit card is paid off sometimes more than once a month. No car or personal loans. SO start adding up the supposed 20K we each have in debt and put it onto those with actual debt. Their debts are much higher. Why add us all in the debt to average it out.

Reactions: Ricci
Same here, we are retired, owe nothing to nobody. Pay credit card off each month, so someone out there owes my debt on top of theirs!
Most people need to borrow money to buy their home, so its not surprising that most people are in debt. We oldies are lucky, most of us have had the opportunity to buy our own homes and pay off debts while working. This makes retirement much easier.

Most people need to borrow money to buy their home, so its not surprising that most people are in debt. We oldies are lucky, most of us have had the opportunity to buy our own homes and pay off debts while working. This makes retirement much easier.
I didn't see it as mortgages based on the examples they gave. But yes that could count, but then reckon the average would be way higher too.

As a retired Banker I was always astounded by how many People had multiple Cards all fully drawn to shuffle monthly minimal payments between them to keep their Bank apply and have a Credit rating.

View attachment 23428

Key Takeaways

My personal debt is $669 the amount owing on my Mastercard for regular monthly payments which is paid off promptly. I'm asset-rich but cash poor.

Not every 'oldie' had their working life to pay off their mortgage. I got my first mortgage on my own after 30 years of saving just 11 years ago. In that 11 years, I poured everything I could into that mortgage, every tax return, made fortnightly payments, and extra money from my salary plus I didn't go away on holidays, have the latest tech anything, did not and still don't have any subscriptions, didn't buy take away, etc and as a result yes I no longer have a mortgage. And I was earning less than the average wage. I don't feel 'lucky' to have no debt. I worked bl**dy hard for it.

Reactions: Tamaya and Ricci