Australians face long wait time for GP appointments, pharmacists expand services

Health naturally becomes a central part of our lives as we age, and regular visits to the general practitioner (GP) are key to maintaining our well-being.

However, securing an appointment with a GP is becoming increasingly difficult for many Australians.

Recent research has highlighted a concerning trend: wait times for GP appointments have blown out to three weeks in some areas, leaving many patients in limbo.

The research, commissioned by Insightfully, paints a stark picture of Australia's current state of primary healthcare access.

Alarmingly, 40 per cent of Australians are waiting what is considered an 'unacceptable' length of time to see their GP, with one in 10 people waiting more than three weeks for an appointment.

The situation is even more dire in regional areas, where one in five patients face waits of over three weeks.

1727228884444.png
Many Australians face long wait times for GP appointments, with some waiting up to three weeks. Credit: Shutterstock

One significant factor is the closure of GP clinics due to financial pressures, including payroll tax burdens.

This has reduced the number of available GPs and, consequently, caused longer wait times for patients seeking medical attention.

In response to this growing issue, pharmacists are stepping up to fill the gap.

The Pharmacy Guild of Australia's national president, Trent Twomey, has highlighted pharmacists' proactive steps to retrain and increase their scope of practice.

‘The number one potentially preventable hospital presentation in Australia is treatment for an uncomplicated urinary tract infection, which is why women now in every state and territory can ask their pharmacist for a short course of antibiotics to treat an uncomplicated UTI,’ he said.

‘We are now seeing more and more conditions around the federation being added to this list.

‘We're seeing now pharmacists can initiate the supply of hormonal contraption. If you need the pill, you can now go to your local community pharmacy if you can't get in to see your GP.’

They can now also initiate the supply of hormonal contraception, such as the pill, providing a convenient alternative for those unable to secure a timely GP visit.

The Pharmacy Guild estimates that if pharmacists cater to just five appointments daily, they could free up a staggering 1000 GP appointments yearly.

‘Pharmacists are part a critical part of a holistic health system,’ Twomey added.

‘We are putting our hands up to do more, to take the pressure off GPs and, more importantly, to keep Australians out of emergency departments.’

Several states and territories, including New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory, have already launched programs allowing pharmacists to expand their healthcare services.

Victoria and South Australia are expected to follow suit soon.

In other news, patients in New South Wales could see GP visit fees rise by as much as $15 due to an upcoming change in payroll tax regulations.

Previously, medical practices were exempt from paying payroll tax for tenant doctors, but a recent tribunal ruling has altered this. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Research indicated that many Australians are facing long wait times to see their GPs, with some waiting up to three weeks for an appointment.
  • The situation is particularly dire in regional areas, where one in five people wait more than three weeks to see their doctor.
  • Pharmacists have been retraining to provide an increased scope of practice, allowing them to issue prescriptions and medical advice for minor ailments, thereby easing the pressure on GPs.
  • The Pharmacy Guild of Australia supports the expansion of services by pharmacists to reduce GP wait times and prevent unnecessary hospital presentations.
Have you taken advantage of a pharmacist's expanded scope of practice? Has it made a difference in your access to timely healthcare? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
I live regional NSW and have a two to three week wait, it has been that way for at least six years. When in Melbourne i could get an appointment that same day, if not the next.

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo and magpie1
Whenever I want a doctor's appointment, he is either booked out or on holidays. Most times if I only want a script, I cut my tablets in half to make them last until I can see him. However I once had a UTI and had to wait for ages. Doctors on the whole do not care about their patients and the whole thing is only a money making business - like everything else!

• Wow
Reactions: Liz, mjdm and DLHM
Whenever I want a doctor's appointment, he is either booked out or on holidays. Most times if I only want a script, I cut my tablets in half to make them last until I can see him. However I once had a UTI and had to wait for ages. Doctors on the whole do not care about their patients and the whole thing is only a money making business - like everything else!
I really don't think that is safe or correct thing to do. 🤔

My mum and I are very lucky. We have a main doctor we go to (she only works 2 days a week) but can always get a phone conversation with one of the other doctors in the practice. Mum (101 in a week) is prone to UTI and they do a script for her which I pick up. We are so lucky with the practice we go to.

My mum and I are very lucky. We have a main doctor we go to (she only works 2 days a week) but can always get a phone conversation with one of the other doctors in the practice. Mum (101 in a week) is prone to UTI and they do a script for her which I pick up. We are so lucky with the practice we go to.
Wow...still working at 101!!!!

It certainly is a proactive idea to allow Pharmacists to supply meds without a prescription as long as they have a copy of any other meds that you may be taking at the time. ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN.......🤔

Reactions: Liz and IAN3005
It certainly is a proactive idea to allow Pharmacists to supply meds without a prescription as long as they have a copy of any other meds that you may be taking at the time. ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN.......🤔
Be like some of the Asian countries....get your meds over the counter...no script is required....

Wow 101 God Bless her l hope she stays well We share the same birth sign mines on Oct 7th.

Many if not all pharmacists would be well aware of the following with regard to the medications they dispense.
  1. Pharmokinetics
  2. Interactions with other prescription and non prescription medications
  3. Minor, moderate and serious side effects
  4. Considerations for women who pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant or breastfeeding
  5. Mode of administration
Most GPs would have limited knowledge of the above.

There have been a few instances where GPs have prescribed a new medication which had an adverse reaction with a current medication. The most serious in question was a client with a disability whose testicles became swollen to more than twice their size after a GP prescribed the wrong medication.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM