Australians crown the best “Big Thing” after a gruelling week of voting

Australians crown the best “Big Thing” after a gruelling week of voting
A road trip around Australia would never be complete until seeing at least one “Big Thing” erected in a town — the Big Pineapple in Woombye, NSW, the Big Peanut in Kingaroy, Queensland, and the Big Banana in Coffs Harbour, NSW, just to name a few!

While each giant mascot symbolises the town where it is located, Aussies have not stopped arguing on which of these Big Things is the country's most elite.

So, to put an end to the age-old debate, ABC Rural's Warwick Long created a poll pitting the large icons against each other on Twitter.

"What is the best 'big thing' in Australia?" he asked in his poll.

Mr Long explained the mechanics, writing: "Each round has a head to head matchup between big things with the winner moving to the next round."

"Google is your friend if you don't know the big thing. Vote in the thread."

And after a week of voting in the poll — which included 64 of the "Big Things" you can find in the country such as Kurri Kurri’s Big Kookaburra and the Big Koala in Dadswells Bridge, Victoria — a winner was finally crowned.

The top two contenders for the title are Larry the Big Lobster — which you can find near Kingston in South Australia — and Goulburn's Rambo the Big Merino.

4ToprLoO5D2PKAzAAZSPLhB-H5WWMoq64kW1S4cNMBbgpq92M0a4bLAUOkjuLaoGDT_FPhusDXCspJuHe1xuxZ6g1Q77uWaGxhHyHaqri4V69Kar3IP79FJPWBc9vmEijDStKto

Larry the Lobby and Rambo the Merino faced at the final round of voting for the best “Big Thing”. Credit: Pedestrian.tv.

Interestingly, the public was divided on which of these two Big Things is better than one another as the race between them was neck and neck.

However, Larry's fans appeared to be much more eager than Rambo's supporters to make their favourite win the poll as they flooded Twitter with calls to vote for their beloved giant crustacean.

After the intense 24-hour battle between the two icons, Larry the Lobster emerged victorious after gaining 52.9% of the vote.

For those who are curious which of the Big Things made it to the semi-final round, the other two giant icons were the Pineapple and the Banana.

Check out this tweet to see how the voting turned out for each round:

We love the Big Banana here at the SDC! Which one is your favourite? Let us know stories from your travels to big things far and wide below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Living in Adelaide I have seen Larry a few times in my travels and before I had seen the full list which contained others I had seen I thought he had a good chance of winning, visit South Australia you will be amazed at what we have to offer.

Reactions: Ricci
Living on the Limestone Coast, it had to be Larry the Lobster for me; it's like an old friend as I pass it every time I go to Adelaide, as I love the coastal route to the city.

The Queensland Big Pineapple.
Love the train ride around the pineapple and macadamia nut plantations, then having a glorious pineapple sundae.
Climbing to the top of the Big Pineapple, reading the display about pineapple production and seeing the 360° views of the hinterland.
Stunning.

Reactions: Hieme
The funniest big thing I have ever seen was the Big Potato. I didn't know what it was and all I could do was laugh. I still crack up now thinking about it! :ROFLMAO:

I was living in Kingston SE at the time of Larry's birth. It was a real draw card, although some locals believed it to be a stupid waste of money. I think he is a very handsome, well made critter. My husband's daughter named him.