Australians brace for all-in-one digital ID system

In an era where rapid change is no secret, keeping up with evolving technology and trends can be quite daunting. While many of us embrace change as it comes, a question lingers: Is change always for the better?

Today, we're going to discuss a new bill that the Australian government is looking into introducing: the national digital ID system.

As with any new service, it's essential to understand the system and how it works. So, let's explore the details.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 2.58.57 PM.png
The new digital ID will centralise official identification documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses onto a government-run platform. Credit: Shutterstock.

The new Digital ID initiative aims to centralise various official documents and forms of identification, including passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses, onto a single government-operated platform.

This will then be the primary tool for verifying individuals' identities when interacting with government departments or third-party organisations, such as banks, real estate agencies, and insurance companies.

That means, when it comes to paperwork and administration, Aussies will soon no longer have to worry about uploading or handing over hard-copy documents to prove their identities.

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher unveiled the draft legislation for the ID bill on Tuesday, September 20, marking the beginning of consultations with the public.

'The legislation, when passed, will move Digital ID to a nationally regulated system which will be accessible across both the public and private sector and will include strong privacy protections,' she said.

Simon Bush, CEO of the Australian Information Industry Association, has welcomed the move, saying that the new digital ID will 'improve service delivery and interoperability with other departments and states'.

He said: 'The proposed legislation will provide strong regulation for accredited Digital ID providers to make sure they keep your information private and secure if you choose to create and reuse a Digital ID to access online services.'

Ms Gallagher said the final version of the contentious bill is slated for release by the end of 2023.

She is also optimistic that the system will become operational around mid-2024. When asked about the launch date, she mentioned this tentative timeline during the AFR summit, saying, 'Potentially mid-next year.'

More than 10 million Aussies are currently using myGov ID, and various states and jurisdictions are developing their own systems. However, these systems are not standardised or regulated.

Ms Gallagher believes they already have the basic infrastructure in place, but it needs to be structured and regulated to facilitate 'interoperability' and provide 'economy-wide benefits' as a national system.

She said: 'We're very committed to it.'

Will the national digital ID be mandatory in Australia?

No, it won't. According to Ms Gallagher, the system will operate voluntarily.

She emphasised that the focus is on giving citizens control over their information, enabling them to access government systems easily, securely, and efficiently—all by choice.

However, not everyone is convinced that the system is a good idea, with many worried about the security implications of such a system.

One argument set forth by critics is that having access to all your important documents in one place could expose you to more cybercrime.

Key Takeaways

• Australia is one step closer to a national digital ID card, with draft legislation for the bill released for consultation.
  • The digital ID will bring together official forms of identification onto one government-run platform.
  • More than 10.5 million Australians already use a digital ID to access government services.
  • There have been concerns raised about the security of the program.

Members, what do you think of the idea of a national digital ID? What security concerns do you have, if any? We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
In an era where rapid change is no secret, keeping up with evolving technology and trends can be quite daunting. While many of us embrace change as it comes, a question lingers: Is change always for the better?

Today, we're going to discuss a new bill that the Australian government is looking into introducing: the national digital ID system.

As with any new service, it's essential to understand the system and how it works. So, let's explore the details.

View attachment 30389
The new digital ID will centralise official identification documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses onto a government-run platform. Credit: Shutterstock.

The new Digital ID initiative aims to centralise various official documents and forms of identification, including passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses, onto a single government-operated platform.

This will then be the primary tool for verifying individuals' identities when interacting with government departments or third-party organisations, such as banks, real estate agencies, and insurance companies.

That means, when it comes to paperwork and administration, Aussies will soon no longer have to worry about uploading or handing over hard-copy documents to prove their identities.

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher unveiled the draft legislation for the ID bill on Tuesday, September 20, marking the beginning of consultations with the public.

'The legislation, when passed, will move Digital ID to a nationally regulated system which will be accessible across both the public and private sector and will include strong privacy protections,' she said.

Simon Bush, CEO of the Australian Information Industry Association, has welcomed the move, saying that the new digital ID will 'improve service delivery and interoperability with other departments and states'.

He said: 'The proposed legislation will provide strong regulation for accredited Digital ID providers to make sure they keep your information private and secure if you choose to create and reuse a Digital ID to access online services.'

Ms Gallagher said the final version of the contentious bill is slated for release by the end of 2023.

She is also optimistic that the system will become operational around mid-2024. When asked about the launch date, she mentioned this tentative timeline during the AFR summit, saying, 'Potentially mid-next year.'

More than 10 million Aussies are currently using myGov ID, and various states and jurisdictions are developing their own systems. However, these systems are not standardised or regulated.

Ms Gallagher believes they already have the basic infrastructure in place, but it needs to be structured and regulated to facilitate 'interoperability' and provide 'economy-wide benefits' as a national system.

It’sa big no from me. The voice is a way that is and will continue to divide the nation. This is the next step in the UN , WHO and WEC to take us over. They are marching towards a one works govt and a takeover of our very lives and all that we hold dear.
You brand me a conspiracy theorist but it’s true. The block is ticking so I ask that if you don’t believe me then do your own research. It’s happening as I speak.

• Haha
Reactions: Leenie and Trudi

View attachment 30389

My concern would be- scammers can get into my bank account, also myGov, and anything else, all needing separate attempts. It would need only ONE hack to get everyones everything. Security wouldn’t allow it? Who are they kidding?

Reactions: Leenie
Here we go, trust Labor, they have tried for yonks to introduce a national ID card now they are using their usual sneaky ways to bring it in through the backdoor. Leave me off of it I'm happy to prove my identity myself.

• Haha
Reactions: Leenie and Trudi
More government controller our lives, if we know how to access it anyway, Im 80 and pretty well computer illiterate as are many of my generation. We don't all have young family members to help us sort it out. Hours spent trying to work it out, generally not succeeding, . Thanks to all you clever helpful people who try to help us online by "talking" to us online, confusion reigns supreme 1

'

Recently my wife had to obtain a police check for an organisation she is associated with. Not having a driver's licence made it more difficult. She needed 4 other original forms of I D. If they can come up with a safe çard with our details on it that requires a pin number, like other cards it might work. It would save having to get photocopies and have them witnessed.

Reactions: Trudi
When I read the title of this article, my immediate thought was that this would be like pouring oil onto a fire and, reading the comments, I was not disappointed.

When this digital ID comes into being, I won't be downloading the app onto my phone, not because I am worried about hackers or the government getting too much information about me (ha ha), but because I already have far too many apps on my phone.

The myGov app is available now, but I don't have it downloaded simply because when I do need to access government services, I do so on my computer. I do, however, access my bank account on my phone and have done a couple of transactions using it.

My phone comes in very handy to take the occasional photo, receive and send texts, do my shopping list, check BOM for the weather forecast, control the smart globes and other smart devices in my home, use the calculator when I can't be bothered to do the calculations in my head, use the GPS, check the time, date and appointments, make notes on the notepad, read my Kindle books, and, occasionally, I even make and receive phone calls.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips
The problem is it is all in one place - and as someone who has worked in several government agencies I can tell you nothing is 100% fool proof and systems around the country crash on a daily basis.

All of the countries ID in one database - the worlds finest hackers will pay big bucks to have a crack at it.

A good idea - but too many risks. The reliance on your phone is getting to great - I joked to my wife during the QR code period that within 10 years we will all have to wear those wrist things to get around and in and out of places. I'm not far off.

I’m not a yuppy, get in trouble from my daughter when she try’s to ring me. Dont carry my phone when shopping,gardening,cutting wood etc. lm a cash person as l spend only what l need and nothing more. No lD on my phone as as l leave it at home most times. Have to ring it sometimes to find where l left it.
Sounds like me ,I also get into trouble re phone, asi have told family I am not glued to the phone,

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips and Trudi

View attachment 30389

She emphasised that the focus is on giving citizens control over their information, enabling them to access government systems easily, securely, and efficiently—all by choice.

However, not everyone is convinced that the system is a good idea, with many worried about the security implications of such a system.

One argument set forth by critics is that having access to all your important documents in one place could expose you to more cybercrime.

Key Takeaways

• Australia is one step closer to a national digital ID card, with draft legislation for the bill released for consultation.
  • The digital ID will bring together official forms of identification onto one government-run platform.
  • More than 10.5 million Australians already use a digital ID to access government services.

Members, what do you think of the idea of a national digital ID? What security concerns do you have, if any? We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Please let us know in the comments below.
Identity theft may be about to get a lot easier. Hopefully the opposite is the case...but I doubt it!

• Haha
The problem is it is all in one place - and as someone who has worked in several government agencies I can tell you nothing is 100% fool proof and systems around the country crash on a daily basis.

All of the countries ID in one database - the worlds finest hackers will pay big bucks to have a crack at it.

A good idea - but too many risks. The reliance on your phone is getting to great - I joked to my wife during the QR code period that within 10 years we will all have to wear those wrist things to get around and in and out of places. I'm not far off.
It’s coming

• Haha
Well, I know of one person who WILL NOT get the digital ID......ME...there is an ulterior motive, believe me.
The people voted against the National ID card and yet they embrace the digital ID which is far more sinister......

Remember when Bob Hawke tried to bring the Australia card , this is a lot worse

• Haha
Reactions: IAN3005 and Trudi
Very good idea.👍 Hurry up and get it started.
I've got everything on my phone anyway so something else won't make any difference.

And if all the alleged "old people" that are always quoted that don't know how to deal with it then too bad. Millions of people do know what to do.

Remember when Bob Hawke tried to bring the Australia card , this is a lot worse
How odd. I recall the good old days before the "digital"age when things worked well and scammers couldn't steal our identities and money. Every "digital age" advance is simply yet one step backwards towards Nazi Germany. or Stalin's USSR. At least the KGB and Gestapo had to stand around on street corners to watch people; now even the Gestapo are being made completely redundant by modern technology.

AI, street corner "security" cameras, spy cameras in supermarkets, all personal information on one card and indeed Big Brother is watching you. And once we all have to pay for everything by digital plastic card, Big Brother has got you by the short and curlies.

And yes, of course it won't matter if we are all innocent and obey the Law etc. Tell that to the victims of totalitarian States.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Leenie
When I read the title of this article, my immediate thought was that this would be like pouring oil onto a fire and, reading the comments, I was not disappointed.

When this digital ID comes into being, I won't be downloading the app onto my phone, not because I am worried about hackers or the government getting too much information about me (ha ha), but because I already have far too many apps on my phone.

The myGov app is available now, but I don't have it downloaded simply because when I do need to access government services, I do so on my computer. I do, however, access my bank account on my phone and have done a couple of transactions using it.

My phone comes in very handy to take the occasional photo, receive and send texts, do my shopping list, check BOM for the weather forecast, control the smart globes and other smart devices in my home, use the calculator when I can't be bothered to do the calculations in my head, use the GPS, check the time, date and appointments, make notes on the notepad, read my Kindle books, and, occasionally, I even make and receive phone calls.
How odd. I have never found the need for a mobile phone to do all that. I use my brain, don't need a GPS to know when I am and where I need to go, can look at the sky to understand the weather, can switch off lights and other electrical appliances using the appropriate switch, recall appointments in my head, can write on paper using my fingers and use a landline telephone to receive and make telephone calls. And of course the books I want to read are in my book-case. I also laugh at my son who is a mobiphone junkie, like most of the 1980s generation onwards.

View attachment 30389

Key Takeaways

Who are they kidfing

View attachment 30389

Key Takeaways

I will keep saying it, ..
If a human wrote the program for the software (app) ... a human can hack the program (software app)

If a computer (AI) wrote the programming, a computer can hack the programming.
NOTHING IS SAFE via the internet.

At least with "HARD COPIES", .... theives had to deal with ACTUAL cameras, security, physically break in, physically carry data files out, & get passed security again, ..... then they needed to actually (read) sift through data files to get information required.

WE ARE NOT SAFE ON THE INTERNET & WE NEVER WILL BE.

All we can do, is "hope" OUR (my own) identity is not the one targeted for fraud.
who are they kidding- I cannot access MyGov account because it has my old mobile number. 3 verbal contacts to change it have had no result. Trust this new idea, yes in the year 3000!
Zoe

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
If it comes in the form of another government app I will have problems. My phone has a thing of not wanting to download some apps for some reason they have to be extra secure before it does.A lot of apps that needed upgrading didn't upgrade

Reactions: Ezzy
My biggest concern is hacking. So many companies, Telephone companies, Medibank Private, Police etc. etc., too many to name here hacked this year. So what makes us safe with this system??? The Federal Government have proven they are not exempt from this & then in some cases, companies are held to ransom!

The mobile phone has become an appendage for many of us but l will never store all my personal information on my'n, never have & never will.

I enjoy the convenience of being able to contact someone in an emergency such as a breakdown or to be notified if l am waiting for important information (which isn't often) or to receive a SMS from my wife. My mobile phone serves as a means of contact between myself & any contact in my phone & that is all. Anything else shows as spam.