Australians Are Outraged: The Controversial BBQ Habit You Must Avoid at All Costs!

The great Australian tradition of a weekend barbie at the local park or beach is a cherished ritual that brings friends and family together under the sun. The sizzle of sausages, the aroma of grilled onions, and the laughter of loved ones are the hallmarks of this beloved pastime. However, a recent incident has sparked a heated debate across the nation, highlighting a controversial habit that has left many Aussies absolutely infuriated.

Imagine the disappointment when a group of eager party-goers arrived at the Noosa River on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, only to find the public BBQs in a state of neglect, with all four hot plates caked in a thick layer of black grime. The group's excitement quickly turned to dismay as they realized they would have to spend precious time cleaning up someone else's mess before they could even think about cooking.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 10.46.01 AM.png
A group was disappointed to have spent 30 minutes cleaning up a public BBQ. Credit: Facebook

The group's frustration was voiced online, with a post that read, 'Appalling. Where are the cleaners that used to keep this area clean?' They reported that it took a full 30 minutes to scrub the hot plates clean, time that could have been spent enjoying the company of friends and family.

The question arises: Who is responsible for this BBQ blunder? While the group pointed fingers at the Noosa Shire Council for not maintaining the amenities, the court of public opinion had a different take. Many residents argued that it is an unspoken rule for users to clean the grills after use, out of respect for the community and the next users.

One Aussie expressed their disappointment, saying, 'The people using it should be cleaning it after out of respect of the community, sad to see.' Another chimed in, 'Sad that people don't feel the need to leave communal equipment clean for the next visitors.' And a third added, 'The grubs who left it like that should be cleaning it. It's not hard to clean up your own mess. Some people are that entitled that they think it's for someone else to do just because it's a public BBQ.'

The issue at hand is not just about cleanliness but also about common courtesy and community spirit. Public BBQs are a shared resource, and like any shared space, they require cooperation and consideration from everyone to remain enjoyable for all.

Cleaning a public BBQ may seem daunting, but it doesn't have to be a monumental task. One Aussie shared a simple hack to make the process easier. In a video that has since gone viral, the man demonstrates how pouring water over the hotplate can help loosen the grime. Once the hotplate is warm, he places a sheet of baking paper on top. The water causes the paper to stick to the hotplate, creating a clean and non-stick cooking surface, ready for the next round of snags and steaks.

This clever trick not only saves time but also ensures that the next person to use the BBQ will have a pleasant experience. It's a small act that can make a big difference, reinforcing the idea that a little effort goes a long way in maintaining the community spaces we all love and enjoy.

So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, let's lead by example and keep our public BBQs clean for the next person. It's a simple gesture that upholds the Aussie values of mateship and fairness. And if you've encountered similar situations or have your own tips for maintaining public amenities, we'd love to hear your stories and advice in the comments below.

Key Takeaways
  • A group was dismayed to find public BBQs at Noosa River on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast covered in thick grime, taking them 30 minutes to clean.
  • There is an unspoken rule that individuals should clean the BBQs after use for the community's benefit, but this is often neglected.
  • Some Australians voiced their frustration online, believing that responsibility to clean lies with the users rather than the council.
  • An Australian shared a tip to clean public BBQs efficiently by pouring water on the hotplate and then using baking paper to create a clean cooking surface.

Remember, the next time you're out enjoying a public BBQ, leave it in a state that would make you proud to pass it on to the next group. After all, the true spirit of the Aussie BBQ is not just in the food we cook but in the community we foster.

Sponsored
That was especially bad. At home I leave the plate with the fat still on. When it cools it is solid and easier to get off. Plus it protects the plate from whatever may fall on it. Then a sprinkle of salt and a wipe with newspaper and a bit of canola oil. The photo looks like something has been burnt onto it.

That is pretty awful however there cannot be an expectation that any council will have a cleaning team travelling around to clean after every user. My experience is that most of these BBQs are cleaned every day. Most now are free to use and a wonderful addition to our public parks. If one is left like this just clean it before use. Dont forget that animals and humans might have used the plate for unmentionable purposes so a good idea to clean even if they look ok.

No the pigs who cooked on it and left it filthy are the ones at fault, there should be a Council check on these things and if they find them dirty clean them and put a Notice up to say the next time we find the BBQ filthy we will dismantle it. Not fair on the people who do clean up after themselves but we have a lot of people who simply don't give a S--t

I always use my own gear, clean it after use and take it with me. Then you cannot get caught by these dirty bastards.

Reactions: Kevin. A.
A few years back I worked for VicParks in one of our large Parks that has a number of public BBQs (and toilets). I was paid by the hour and told how many hours (say 3hrs on Wed and 4 hrs on a Sat) I was to work. I was to leave a note on a fixed board of when I was there and when I was next due to clean that entire area. I always worked many more hours than I was paid to work just leave the area clean. Many weekends, especially on holiday or in summer, there would be someone waiting to use bbq as soon as I left. I wasn't paid to return for at least 24 hours so it becomes the user responsibility to leave the area as they found it.....CLEAN.

A few years back I worked for VicParks in one of our large Parks that has a number of public BBQs (and toilets). I was paid by the hour and told how many hours (say 3hrs on Wed and 4 hrs on a Sat) I was to work. I was to leave a note on a fixed board of when I was there and when I was next due to clean that entire area. I always worked many more hours than I was paid to work just leave the area clean. Many weekends, especially on holiday or in summer, there would be someone waiting to use bbq as soon as I left. I wasn't paid to return for at least 24 hours so it becomes the user responsibility to leave the area as they found it.....CLEAN.
Great idea, however, it doesn't work. Some of the population should live in a sty. I'd hate to see their house.

The ideaology: People SHOULD clean the BBQ after using it out of respect and courtesy for other users and the local community, etc.
The reality: People (especially tourists on holiday), simply DON'T clean up after themselves for whatever reason. Very often it can even be a whole busload of tourists at a time making the mess.

That being the case (and it is!), there needs to be clear, adequate signage informing people about cleaning the BBQ when finished. The signage needs to be in several languages to cover overseas tour buses (mainly China, Japan, etc).

Then on top of all that, the Council DOES still need to regularly check that public BBQ's are clean and usable if they are providing them for that purpose. After all, they are already emptying the bins, maintaining the grounds, cleaning public amenities, so why not maintain the public BBQ's at the same time? especially if they are the 'pay-to-use' type.

My partner and I often use public bbqs for our Sunday breakfasts in parks. We have a bbq backpack in which we have our cooking utensils, plates etc and a small container which holds a stainless steel pad soaked in dishwashing liquid. We never leave a bbq dirty and always do our best to leave the bbq area cleaner than we found it.

That was especially bad. At home I leave the plate with the fat still on. When it cools it is solid and easier to get off. Plus it protects the plate from whatever may fall on it. Then a sprinkle of salt and a wipe with newspaper and a bit of canola oil. The photo looks like something has been burnt onto it.
In all probability, a soy or chilli sauce marinade.

Whenever I go for a barbecue using public amenities, I always take heavy duty stainless steel scourers, dishwashing detergent and at least 10 litres of water, in case of the lack of potable water close by. I always leave it a better condition than what I found it in.