Australians’ impatient road manners drive this expat crazy!

Driving in a new country can be an adventure in itself, with different rules, road layouts, and driver behaviours to navigate.

And for this British expat in Australia, one aspect of driving Down Under has proven particularly jarring.

Erika White, a young Brit living on the Gold Coast, voiced her observations on Australian driving habits, specifically pointing out the urgency displayed by drivers when the traffic lights change from red to green.

According to White, if you're the first car at the lights and don't move within a couple of seconds of the light changing, you're likely to hear the honk of the horn from the car behind you.

'They have no patience here in Australia,' she remarked.

'As soon as the traffic light turns green and you take more than two seconds to go, the person behind you is beeping.'

compressed-shutterstock_1992053669.jpeg
Erika White, a British expat, shared her frustration with impatient Aussie drivers beeping as soon as the traffic light turns green. Credits: Shutterstock

This observation sparked a debate among Australians, with thousands reacting to White's comments.

Some defended the quick-off-the-mark approach.

‘If you’re in pole position, you have the most important job. Your reaction time determines how many others are making it through that cycle,’ one commented, with many others agreeing.

‘Why are you taking two seconds… that means probably two cars at the back of the queue need to wait for another change of lights,’ another added.

Others empathised with the expat, arguing that speeding through as soon as the light changes is not safe.

‘I think it is safer when delayed a bit—you know how many stupid drivers speed through a red light,’ one explained.

‘When I was in Melbourne, the millisecond it turns green, people are beeping. It’s so unnecessary,’ another agreed.

‘Even when the light is green, if you’re first, you should always check for red light runners, then go,’ a third chimed.

The discussion highlighted a cultural difference in traffic light systems.

In the United Kingdom, an amber light precedes the green, signalling drivers to prepare to move.

In contrast, Australian lights switch directly from red to green.

This difference might have contributed to the expectation of immediate movement in Australia, as there's no 'prepare to go' signal.

Moreover, there seems to be some confusion among Australian drivers regarding the amber light.

While it's commonly misunderstood that driving through an amber light is permissible as long as it doesn't turn red, the reality is that in most Australian states, it's an offence to enter an intersection on an amber light unless it's unsafe to stop as highlighted by an incident last year involving a woman and a $500 fine.

This misunderstanding can lead to drivers speeding up to beat the red light, further reinforcing the need for caution when the light turns green.

You can watch Erika’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok / Erika White

Each Australian state has its own road rules, but the national guidelines are clear about the amber light rule.

Fines and demerit points can be issued for those who try to beat the amber light, a fact that some Australians admit they were unaware of.

Previously, another expat, from the United States this time, also shared several traffic rules that confused her when she moved to Australia.
Key Takeaways
  • A British expat on the Gold Coast called out Australian drivers for their impatience at traffic lights.
  • Many locals defended the quick response to green lights, while others argued it could be unsafe due to red-light runners.
  • The expat pointed out differences in traffic light systems between Australia and the UK, with Australia not having an amber light before green.
  • It was highlighted that many Australians are unaware that it is an offence to drive through an amber (orange) light, and that fines and demerit points can result.
Have you noticed a difference in driving habits between Australia and other countries you've visited or lived in? Do you think Australian drivers are too impatient at traffic lights, or is it a necessary part of keeping traffic flowing?

Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Green means GO. Why they are slow? IT is called a mobile phone. Why do cars stop at a give way roundabout. you look to your right and if clear leave. REMEMBER GIVE WAY TO YOUR RIGHT. dO NOT GET ME ON TO A 4 STOP SIGN INTERSECTION.

I must agree, Aussie driver are really bad, impatient and can not Merge. The wife and I have driven in so many countries including Italy Hong Kong Bali and there is method in thier madness. We get home here WA and hate it, even the other states drive better than WA drivers.

My husband and myself refuse to drive in Sydney. We managed to get to our Son’s place and park the car up until we leave to go home to Victoria. The whole pace is just too fast, drivers are way more impatient, lots more traffic. If I lived there I doubt I would leave the house lol.

Definitely. And don`t get confused in Australia on a roundabout, or whether one is in the right lane. Not many people will give way to you. When we were driving in England, we often thought, oh, in the wrong lane, blinker on, people would stop and let us through. Not many do here. And, yes, people expect you to start moving as soon as the light turns. Again, so many people run the orange, or even red,

The toot is more to tell someone GET OF THE PHONE & watch the lights. Looking forward to all the phone cameras being rolled out in most states. Good revenue raiser that only idiots sitting at lights will incur. :)

The toot is more to tell someone GET OF THE PHONE & watch the lights. Looking forward to all the phone cameras being rolled out in most states. Good revenue raiser that only idiots sitting at lights will incur. :)
Australian road rules & regulations, you are not allowed to use your horn as anything other than a warning device, with some very rare exceptions.
A car horn is not to be used as an impatience device. Drivers can be fined for sounding their car horns for the wrong purpose.

I find about 30% of drivers, have got to get to their destination by Yesterday. So, they speed up, go through Red Lights, don't use their Indicators when turning or changing lanes. All this does is Increase the chances of having an Accident, causing Injuries or Death. Some drivers, once they get their License, the road rules Go Out the Window. Just look at the Statistics.

Reactions: natalielocket
Australian road rules & regulations, you are not allowed to use your horn as anything other than a warning device, with some very rare exceptions.
A car horn is not to be used as an impatience device. Drivers can be fined for sounding their car horns for the wrong purpose.
The law in each State is not that definite, otherwise when cars use their immobilisers their car horn would not be allowed to make that little toot sound. Yes, I know it can be turned off, but rarely do people inactivate the noise.

Reactions: natalielocket