Australian veterans forced to sleep on creek beds amid rising homelessness crisis

It’s no secret that veterans often face unique challenges once they’ve returned to everyday civilian life.

Dave Hughes is just one of the 300 veterans who leave the Australian Defence Force (ADF) each year and then find themselves homeless. After being discharged, he spent nearly a year sleeping on creek beds and surfing from couch to couch. For many ex-service members, transitioning back into civilian life can be their biggest obstacle and leaders are now calling for more to be done to help them make the shift.

'If the veteran can't get work, it can lead to financial difficulties; this can affect the household and result in relationship problems,' Vasey RSL Care Executive General Manager Chris Gray told Weekend Today.

'If the family breaks up, the veteran can find themselves staying on a mate’s couch or even sleeping in their car. Ultimately, this situation can bring out latent mental health issues, or lead to problem drinking, gambling and so on.'

While Dave was able to turn his life around. Now he and his close friend, Vietnam War Veteran Alan Murphy, are doing everything they can to help other veterans who find themselves in similar dire straits.

'I started surfing couches, staying at friends' places, and family. I ended up sleeping on creek beds for nearly a year,' said Hughes.

shutterstock_1805609977 (1).jpg
300 ADF veterans find themselves homeless each year. Credit: Shutterstock

Alan now lives in assisted housing among dozens of other former veterans and can relate to the problems that these men and women are facing.

'The next day I was a civilian. All I had was a paper saying discharge certificate. And that was it. I see these young guys come off the street and I just see how hard and what they've been through.'

Putting up your hand and seeking assistance can be another difficult obstacle to overcome for many. Keith Walsh spent nearly five years homeless and sleeping in his car until a Vasey RSL charity program eventually stepped in to help.

'You've gone from having support, unlimited support. To having to fend for yourself,' he said.

There is clearly a need for more of these programs and services.

'I think there are lots of different support, but we are talking about more than a roof over their head,' said Chief Executive Janna Voloshin.

'We are going to put the roof over their head, get them off the street, and then assist them with everything they need to get to a stage where they can live independently.'

Veterans who are in need of assistance to help make the transition back to civilian life or require emergency housing should reach out to:

• The Defence All-Hours Support Line on 1800 628 036
    • The All-hours Support Line (ASL) is a confidential telephone service for ADF members and their families that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The ASL is designed as a triage line, which simply means that it is there to help you access ADF or civilian mental health services more easily. Services that you can access include psychology, medical, social work, and chaplain services.
  • The Defence Member and Family Helpline on 1800 624 608
    • The Helpline call centre is available 24/7 and is staffed by qualified human services professionals including social workers and psychologists.
  • Open Arms - Veterans & Families Counselling on 1800 011 046
    • Open Arms can provide individual, couple and family counselling to help improve your resilience, as well as enhance your mental health and well-being.

shutterstock_1355330360 (1).jpg
There is help available. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Key Takeaways

• Veteran homelessness is rising across Australia, with around 300 veterans experiencing homelessness each year after leaving the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
  • Transitioning back into civilian life can be challenging, leading to financial difficulties, relationship problems, and mental health issues.
  • Vasey RSL, a leading provider in ex-service housing, offers critical support for veterans not only in need of housing but also in returning to civilian life.

You might also like to read about the recently announced Veterans Chaplaincy Pilot Program.

'There is no doubt that the transition from service requires a massive readjustment for veterans and their families. The Albanese Government is working to enhance the support available through transition, and the support provided by ADF Chaplains will provide familiar comfort for many,' said Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Matt Keogh. You can read more about this development here.

Members, we would love to hear from you. The veteran homelessness rate is concerning news. If you know anyone in need, please direct them to the resources listed in this article.

Sponsored
It’s no secret that veterans often face unique challenges once they’ve returned to everyday civilian life.

Dave Hughes is just one of the 300 veterans who leave the Australian Defence Force (ADF) each year and then find themselves homeless. After being discharged, he spent nearly a year sleeping on creek beds and surfing from couch to couch. For many ex-service members, transitioning back into civilian life can be their biggest obstacle and leaders are now calling for more to be done to help them make the shift.

'If the veteran can't get work, it can lead to financial difficulties; this can affect the household and result in relationship problems,' Vasey RSL Care Executive General Manager Chris Gray told Weekend Today.

'If the family breaks up, the veteran can find themselves staying on a mate’s couch or even sleeping in their car. Ultimately, this situation can bring out latent mental health issues, or lead to problem drinking, gambling and so on.'

While Dave was able to turn his life around. Now he and his close friend, Vietnam War Veteran Alan Murphy, are doing everything they can to help other veterans who find themselves in similar dire straits.

'I started surfing couches, staying at friends' places, and family. I ended up sleeping on creek beds for nearly a year,' said Hughes.

View attachment 17842

Alan now lives in assisted housing among dozens of other former veterans and can relate to the problems that these men and women are facing.

'The next day I was a civilian. All I had was a paper saying discharge certificate. And that was it. I see these young guys come off the street and I just see how hard and what they've been through.'

Putting up your hand and seeking assistance can be another difficult obstacle to overcome for many. Keith Walsh spent nearly five years homeless and sleeping in his car until a Vasey RSL charity program eventually stepped in to help.

'You've gone from having support, unlimited support. To having to fend for yourself,' he said.

'I think there are lots of different support, but we are talking about more than a roof over their head,' said Chief Executive Janna Voloshin.

'We are going to put the roof over their head, get them off the street, and then assist them with everything they need to get to a stage where they can live independently.'

Veterans who are in need of assistance to help make the transition back to civilian life or require emergency housing should reach out to:

• The All-hours Support Line (ASL) is a confidential telephone service for ADF members and their families that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The ASL is designed as a triage line, which simply means that it is there to help you access ADF or civilian mental health services more easily. Services that you can access include psychology, medical, social work, and chaplain services.
    • The Helpline call centre is available 24/7 and is staffed by qualified human services professionals including social workers and psychologists.
    • Open Arms can provide individual, couple and family counselling to help improve your resilience, as well as enhance your mental health and well-being.

View attachment 17843

Key Takeaways

• Veteran homelessness is rising across Australia, with around 300 veterans experiencing homelessness each year after leaving the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
  • Transitioning back into civilian life can be challenging, leading to financial difficulties, relationship problems, and mental health issues.
  • Vasey RSL, a leading provider in ex-service housing, offers critical support for veterans not only in need of housing but also in returning to civilian life.

You might also like to read about the recently announced Veterans Chaplaincy Pilot Program.

'There is no doubt that the transition from service requires a massive readjustment for veterans and their families. The Albanese Government is working to enhance the support available through transition, and the support provided by ADF Chaplains will provide familiar comfort for many,' said Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Matt Keogh. You can read more about this development here.

Members, we would love to hear from you. The veteran homelessness rate is concerning news. If you know anyone in need, please direct them to the resources listed in this article.
Perhaps the government can get its head out of its collective arse long enough to do something to help its former fighters to assimilate back into the society they gave up to protect the country and populace from outside and inside threats.

View attachment 17842

View attachment 17843

Key Takeaways

We've all known about this problem for years and yet nothing ever gets done. No person should ever have to sleep rough and everyone deserves a roof over their heads. Please politicians stop the double talk and DO SOMETHING for once in your miserable lives.

View attachment 17842

View attachment 17843

Key Takeaways

The ADF drums into recruits how to live a military life. Everything is ordered, scheduled and carried out to the letter. Yes Sir, No Sir, Three Bags Full Sir, etc. But alas, at the other end of a military career, historically there was no training provided on how to be a civilian again. By the time they left the Forces, many Vets spent more than half their life and almost all their adult life in the military, and then out to fend for themselves. Military life is a form of institutionalization. Criminals leaving prison got better orientation back into normal life than Vets got. Fortunately the ADF is making some effort to provide transition training now but sadly, there are thousands of Vets who were not given that opportunity and are now suffering for it.

View attachment 17842

View attachment 17843

Key Takeaways

Our veterans should be well taken care of! They were prepared to put their lives on the line for their country, and the government should be responsible for their full care after they leave the services.

Our veterans should be well taken care of! They were prepared to put their lives on the line for their country, and the government should be responsible for their full care after they leave the services.
I completely agree - to be given a discharge certificate and left to just assimilate back into living in society as if they have been on holidays somewhere! Where is the adjustment period - this is where the Gov't & ADF needs to be fully responsible in making sure that before the Veterans are given there discharge certificate! they have somewhere to live, whether that be family, own home or rental. The vets should also have re-programming & counselling services assisting them to see if they have any long term health issues from serving. There should be followup services for however long a person needs this to make sure the person is travelling well, able to function independently if on there own, networking to link in to wrap around services in the community, regular contact with the service that welcomed them in the first place to serve for there country. It is a disgrace to see this happen.

Last edited:
The government doesn't give a RAT'S A**E about Veterans because they are a drain on the public purse.
I know because I am one. I got knocked back on a claim for a health problem because I smoked, just like most members did back then.
Well they weren't a drain when vets where enlisted & how many people smoke in this world!
When the Gov't does not assist where it is needed in any way shape or form in society it generally ends up & does always cost more out of this public purse! This does not make for a healthy inclusive society on the whole, more common sense needs to be used, & put the money, housing, health & support services where it is needed!-not too hard to work that out? i think, & i am just a lay-person.

My brother in law was in the army and was entitled to a 4% interest rate for a mortgage, back when we were paying 17%.
He was on a good salary too and in secure employment when jobs were scarce.
My impression of employment in the forces was that they really did look after their own.
I never thought about how it affected them when they had to face the world after that.

My brother in law was in the army and was entitled to a 4% interest rate for a mortgage, back when we were paying 17%.
My impression of employment in the forces was that they really did look after their own.
I never thought about how it affected them when they had to face the world after that.
It is good to hear & i have heard that the forces do look after there own when a person is with them. When the homeless are walked by and in most cases not even seen, each and every person
has a life story & just needs that helping hand up and into healthcare and back into some form of normal daily living again-we possibly never even think that some of the homeless are vets - this should not be happening-they have given service to there country.

The government doesn't give a RAT'S A**E about Veterans because they are a drain on the public purse.
I know because I am one. I got knocked back on a claim for a health problem because I smoked, just like most members did back then.
DVA cannot knock you back for smoking, depending on when you did your service, what scheme you are covered under, and if you have a very good advocate, really is what decides on your claim

Yes and when they retire the DFRB is much better than a lot of people's super. They usually buy a home where they envisage retiring to and rent it out until retirement. This is then their home used to buy a new one. I know lots of ex defence force member, this was how most planned their futures.

Yes and when they retire the DFRB is much better than a lot of people's super. They usually buy a home where they envisage retiring to and rent it out until retirement. This is then their home used to buy a new one. I know lots of ex defence force member, this was how most planned their futures.
Jennie, there are no 4% loans, and I had a loan in Sydney with CBA and it 22% so I do know about struggling to pay the mortgage.
Yes we buy a house in the area we believe that we will finally put our feet up, however, as soon as we by that house defence saw fit to post us not once more but maybe, four or five times and it doesn't matter if we're getting long in the the tooth.
Or that your spouse is ill and trying to organise medical services in a new state doesn't work as smoothly for the people not wearing the uniform.
And when we finally come back to live in these homes they have been trashed and require $ks to be bought up to a liveable standard because the unreal estate industry is a law unto themselves and just take their money without checking on the property they are meant to be managing.
We have learnt two things, never rent anything in QLD because the the real estate industry up here is a law unto themselves. Patience is hard when dealing with idiots.

Reactions: Milica
Jennie, there are no 4% loans, and I had a loan in Sydney with CBA and it 22% so I do know about struggling to pay the mortgage.
Yes we buy a house in the area we believe that we will finally put our feet up, however, as soon as we by that house defence saw fit to post us not once more but maybe, four or five times and it doesn't matter if we're getting long in the the tooth.
Or that your spouse is ill and trying to organise medical services in a new state doesn't work as smoothly for the people not wearing the uniform.
And when we finally come back to live in these homes they have been trashed and require $ks to be bought up to a liveable standard because the unreal estate industry is a law unto themselves and just take their money without checking on the property they are meant to be managing.
We have learnt two things, never rent anything in QLD because the the real estate industry up here is a law unto themselves. Patience is hard when dealing with idiots.
Good to hear it as it is-sorry to hear about the houses that you are coming back to - the fact that the real estates are getting paid for doing nothing! is something else, they should be paying for quite a large portion of the repairs-are they working within the realestate law or outside of it!_!