Australian petrol prices hit their lowest in various states and territories

As we navigate the ever-fluctuating economy, prices of essential items continue to rise across the country.

However, there's a glimmer of hope for Australian motorists.

This welcome news comes as a relief, especially to those who rely on their cars for daily mobility.

Petrol prices recently hit a spectacular 12-month low in various parts of the country.

As of Tuesday, the average price of unleaded 91 fuel in New South Wales dipped to $1.90.

Some Sydney suburbs saw petrol prices as low as $1.59 per litre.

Victoria had an average price of $1.79 per litre, and several Melbourne locations offer fuel for the low price of $1.59.

compressed-pexels-petrol.jpeg
Petrol prices across the country saw low prices due to multiple internal and external factors. Image Credit: Erik McLean

South Australians also saw a dip in petrol prices, with an average price of $1.76.

Adelaide's outer suburbs enjoyed prices that went down to $1.61.

The Royal Automobile Association of South Australia (RAA) also shared that Adelaide's current fuel price is the lowest it's been in 2024.

Queensland's average petrol prices were at $1.85, but Brisbane residents can fill their petrol tanks for as little as $1.59 per litre.

Meanwhile, in Perth, prices have plummeted to $1.54 near the airport, while the West Australian average is at $1.79.

The Northern Territory averages at $1.90, with Darwin offering the cheapest fuel at $1.72.

Lastly, Hobart motorists could find petrol at $1.79, with the Tasmania price average at $1.87.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) revealed that motorists who use these resources could save significant amounts of money annually.

Several government-run apps provide real-time petrol price updates.

Government-led petrol price watchers.png
Here are some government-run apps motorists can use to check petrol prices. Source: 7News

Additionally, navigation apps like Waze and Google Maps also show petrol prices, making it easier to find the best deals while on the road.

For those who want to get the best bang-for-buck petrol prices, motorists can use price comparison websites and apps.

Several factors contribute to the dip in petrol prices.

These factors include international benchmarks, wholesaler prices, and the strength of the Australian dollar.

Recently, world crude oil prices have decreased due to a potential ceasefire deal and a slowdown in demand from China.

These lower prices, in turn, get passed on to Australian petrol stations.

However, the situation can change rapidly.

For instance, news of potential oil production cuts caused prices to rise by 3 per cent.

On the brighter side, Australian banks have been optimistic about the Australian dollar's value, as Westpac predicted it could reach 70 US cents by December 2024.

RAA's Mobility and Automotive Policy Senior Manager Mark Borlace suggested that fuel prices could remain low, unless a broader regional conflict erupts in the Middle East.

He also believed that China and the United States' concerns about recession exerted a downward pressure on crude oil prices.

This dip in petrol prices is a chance to breathe easier when budgeting.

So, keep an eye on those fuel prices, use the available tools to find the best deals, and enjoy the extra savings while they last.
Key Takeaways

• Petrol prices reached a 12-month low in parts of Australia and could stay low anytime soon.
  • Motorists were encouraged to use price comparison websites and apps for the best fuel deals, which could save them a significant amount.
  • A drop in world crude oil prices and a potential ceasefire deal heavily contributed to the lower fuel prices at Australian petrol stations.
  • An optimistic outlook on the Australian dollar's value and an anticipated downward trend in crude prices may keep fuel costs low.
Have you noticed these low prices in your local petrol station? How has it affected your daily life? Share your experiences and fuel-saving tips in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Wouldn't it be nice if the government could/would do something about the farcical "price cycle"? But why would they? Look at the amount they rip off you in the tax you pay every time you get near a petrol pump. The last time I looked, we still live in a democratic society, with the government limited in its powers to dictate prices for everyday commodities.
Same thing as the twice-yearly alcohol gouge, but that was purposely and furtively built into the legislation,

Premium unleaded is still costing us up here in Brisbane two dollars plus a litre it’s just ridiculous. They put fuel down but the premium never seems to go down at all. It might say it’s $1.79 but the premium never seems to go down still two dollars plus a litre I don’t know how they work that out. We always pay 20 cents more just because we want to use the good stuff. I’ve never been able to get premium under $1.90 in the last 12 months.

Premium unleaded is still costing us up here in Brisbane two dollars plus a litre it’s just ridiculous. They put fuel down but the premium never seems to go down at all. It might say it’s $1.79 but the premium never seems to go down still two dollars plus a litre I don’t know how they work that out. We always pay 20 cents more just because we want to use the good stuff. I’ve never been able to get premium under $1.90 in the last 12 months.
Do you drive a high performance vehicle such as a Porsche or Lamborghini? If you drive something like a Hyundai i30, don't bother with the Premium 98 RON.

Reactions: Jennie
What about the days when our 10/. was worth the equivalent of the U.S. $1. I remember the days well when you would fill the tank of petrol in a late 50's to towards a mid 60's holden for a "Quid". As with many of us, we remember those days well.

Reactions: Jennie
In the Mallee area where I live, petrol prices are still over $2.00 a litre for premium unleaded; around $1.79 for unleaded ......