Australian government pushes for federal sugar tax amid health concerns

As we navigate through the cost-of-living crisis, many Australians find ways to stretch their dollar.

However, households may need to brace themselves for another financial hit.

A contentious proposal may leave a bitter note in sweet lovers' mouths.

After a parliamentary probe into the country's health crisis, the proposal could see a 20 per cent federal sugar tax levied on a range of sweetened beverages.

In a bid to tackle the country's obesity and diabetes epidemic, the tax targeted soft drinks, energy and sports drinks, fruit drinks, and flavoured mineral waters.

Committee chair and Labor MP Dr Mike Freelander led the probe and advocated for the implementation of this tax.

compressed-pexels-softdrinks.jpeg
Sugar-laden drinks could see a 20 per cent tax should the proposal be approved by the government. Image Credit: Pexels/Long Tang

'It will only apply to beverages sweetened with sugar. I don't think it should be broadened out to other things. We need to use what's best practice around the world, and the effects will be monitored,' Dr Freelander said.

The idea of a sugar tax isn't new—over 100 countries, including the United Kingdom, Norway, and Mexico, have already implemented similar measures.

These countries saw varying degrees of success in reducing sugar consumption and improving public health outcomes.

In the UK, the implementation of the sugar tax in 2018 led to a notable decrease in obesity rates among young girls.

However, not everyone is on board with this proposal.

Opposition health spokesperson Senator Anne Ruston voiced her concerns about the proposed tax.

'There are better ways to encourage healthy eating and better preventive health outcomes without further hurting the hip pockets of Australian families in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,' she rebutted.

The debate over the sugar tax also sparked a broader conversation about the government's role in regulating public health.

The tax could act as a deterrent, reducing the consumption of unhealthy, sugar-laden drinks.

Proponents argue that this could, in turn, decrease the prevalence of obesity and diabetes and reduce the long-term healthcare costs associated with these conditions.

Western Sydney Women CEO Amanda Rose argued that taxation was not the solution.

'If sugar is so bad, we should eliminate it, or foods can't have over a certain amount of sugar,' Rose said.

'If the government is genuine about people's health, you don't just whack a tax on something and say "Don't buy it" because if people are addicted, they'll continue to buy it.'

'If something is toxic to people, remove it from the shelves, or put regulations on the companies saying you can't have that sugar content in it in the first place,' she concluded.

In a previous article, The Australian Medical Association's Professor Steve Robson argued that the voluntary sugar reduction program is failing.

Instead, he suggested implementing a sugar tax to fund health promotion and alleviate some healthcare system pressures.
Key Takeaways

• A federal parliamentary probe proposed a 20 per cent federal sugar tax on sweetened beverages to address obesity and diabetes in Australia.
  • The tax would apply to non-alcoholic water-based drinks with added sugar, including soft drinks, sports drinks, and flavoured waters.
  • Opponents of the tax argued that there are better ways to promote health without impacting families during a cost-of-living crisis.
  • Some advocates suggested regulation of sugar content instead of the 20 per cent tax. Supporters cited the United Kingdom's success in reducing obesity rates after introducing the tax in 2018.
What do you think about the proposed sugar tax? How would the tax affect your shopping and eating habits? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Sugarine/ Stevia, there’s so many Sugarfree Sweeteners available today, also Low Fat or Skim Milk Products. There is a slight difference in taste but you do get used to it.
Sugarine = saccharin, a chemical named ortho sulphobenzimide, a close relative to and synthesised from toluene, known to cause kidney and liver damage, as well as developmental problems in young children and cause spontaneous abortion.

All I know about Stevia is that it is supposedly "natural". I have my doubts but I will check.

we as aussies expect the government to rule our life. what is the matter with us when we have to be taxed on drinks that have been around for years. NOW all of a sudden we are a dumb country that cannot choose the right food drinks and anything else. OH! please go away labour. NO! first up concentrate on israel and our army and take part in the nato, but you can't as you could not answer the questions hurled at you. MONGREL.

Personally I believe this is a Great Proposal also as with Cigarettes, the extra Tax added to Sugar and Nicotine then gets used to assist the Same People who consume or use these products, as in Obesity & Lung Disease. We have a Wonderful Healthcare System in Australia, but I don’t believe it’s sustainable for the Government to cover Medical Expenses in the Future. I am an ex- smoker ( not by choice), and I have experienced the Excellent Healthcare in Our Public Hospitals. Just My Opinion 🧐
i stopped smoking 1993. i did not need the government to chime in to be able to cease. I used my brain. Seems to me that not too many have one of these. Being Type 1 for 40 years i learnt very quickly not to over load on sugar. I do have my treats though. I am astounded at the majority of stupid people breathing.

Has anyone considered the impact on our sugar cane farmers? Maybe education programs targeting obesity could lead to a natural decline in sugar consumption, rather than an instant hit to the pockets of cane farmers.
Aany soft drink isn`t that healthy. Also artificial sweeteners, even stevia, which in its natural form as a plant, is not made from the said plant. So all sweeteners are artificial additives, which is probably worse than sugar is. Its okay to have a soft drink occasionally but working as a volunteer in a hospital shop, which has only artificial sweetened soft drinks, rather than drink water, also available, people are constantly buy soft drinks. Also boxes in shopping trolleys tell the story, as well as frozen pies, factory made biscuits, etc. The list goes on.

i stopped smoking 1993. i did not need the government to chime in to be able to cease. I used my brain. Seems to me that not too many have one of these. Being Type 1 for 40 years i learnt very quickly not to over load on sugar. I do have my treats though. I am astounded at the majority of stupid people breathing.
I stopped using sugar when I was twelve, after a series of falls I now have to use sugar as a result of dumping syndrome? (Don't worry, unlike politicians I can still fart without shitting myself)

• Haha
Reactions: Michelle1967
I totally agree with previous comments. Our "Brilliant" gov., will find a way of taxing the "No Sugar, No Caffein" drinks, just because there is none therein. They don't need excuses to increase tax. Just more "Dough- Ray-Me" for their bottom line.

Reactions: Littleboy8
What about the risk of using artificial sweeteners being a cancer risk? Yes diabetes is a problem and the number is growing but a large percentage of the population should not have to be penalised, a new tax, to rectify a problem that can be tackled by other measures. Only applying it to drinks when there are a whole range of other foods contributing to the diabetes problem, breakfast cereals and lollies and cake icing etc. All of these foods also contain sugar and the alternatives, artificial sweeteners could be a lot worse.
True. However I avoid artificial sweeteners and reduce carbs too. I am slim as a result.

The ol' grubberment eh? Still trying to get all our money. When will they stop! IF they did really want to get rid of obesity and diabetes and many other health effects that come with highly processed and high content sugar foods, ban them. But no, "...how can we make money off them if we ban them?" Bad idea!
Piss McDonalds, Hungry Jacks and the like back to where they came from. HUGE problem solved...

The ol' grubberment eh? Still trying to get all our money. When will they stop! IF they did really want to get rid of obesity and diabetes and many other health effects that come with highly processed and high content sugar foods, ban them. But no, "...how can we make money off them if we ban them?" Bad idea!
Piss McDonalds, Hungry Jacks and the like back to where they came from. HUGE problem solved...
Where are you going to send Hungry Jack's to? The first outlet was opened in Perth back in 1971 as a franchise to the Burger King brand.

• Love
Where are you going to send Hungry Jack's to? The first outlet was opened in Perth back in 1971 as a franchise to the Burger King brand.
Not wishing to brag, but having knocked around the world for more years than I care to remember and having a bloody good time foor the most part. The best burgers I tasted were the ones from Sam's Coffepot on the Geelong Road, if I remember at Draytonville?