Australian government pushes for federal sugar tax amid health concerns

As we navigate through the cost-of-living crisis, many Australians find ways to stretch their dollar.

However, households may need to brace themselves for another financial hit.

A contentious proposal may leave a bitter note in sweet lovers' mouths.

After a parliamentary probe into the country's health crisis, the proposal could see a 20 per cent federal sugar tax levied on a range of sweetened beverages.

In a bid to tackle the country's obesity and diabetes epidemic, the tax targeted soft drinks, energy and sports drinks, fruit drinks, and flavoured mineral waters.

Committee chair and Labor MP Dr Mike Freelander led the probe and advocated for the implementation of this tax.

compressed-pexels-softdrinks.jpeg
Sugar-laden drinks could see a 20 per cent tax should the proposal be approved by the government. Image Credit: Pexels/Long Tang

'It will only apply to beverages sweetened with sugar. I don't think it should be broadened out to other things. We need to use what's best practice around the world, and the effects will be monitored,' Dr Freelander said.

The idea of a sugar tax isn't new—over 100 countries, including the United Kingdom, Norway, and Mexico, have already implemented similar measures.

These countries saw varying degrees of success in reducing sugar consumption and improving public health outcomes.

In the UK, the implementation of the sugar tax in 2018 led to a notable decrease in obesity rates among young girls.

However, not everyone is on board with this proposal.

Opposition health spokesperson Senator Anne Ruston voiced her concerns about the proposed tax.

'There are better ways to encourage healthy eating and better preventive health outcomes without further hurting the hip pockets of Australian families in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,' she rebutted.

The debate over the sugar tax also sparked a broader conversation about the government's role in regulating public health.

The tax could act as a deterrent, reducing the consumption of unhealthy, sugar-laden drinks.

Proponents argue that this could, in turn, decrease the prevalence of obesity and diabetes and reduce the long-term healthcare costs associated with these conditions.

Western Sydney Women CEO Amanda Rose argued that taxation was not the solution.

'If sugar is so bad, we should eliminate it, or foods can't have over a certain amount of sugar,' Rose said.

'If the government is genuine about people's health, you don't just whack a tax on something and say "Don't buy it" because if people are addicted, they'll continue to buy it.'

'If something is toxic to people, remove it from the shelves, or put regulations on the companies saying you can't have that sugar content in it in the first place,' she concluded.

In a previous article, The Australian Medical Association's Professor Steve Robson argued that the voluntary sugar reduction program is failing.

Instead, he suggested implementing a sugar tax to fund health promotion and alleviate some healthcare system pressures.
Key Takeaways

• A federal parliamentary probe proposed a 20 per cent federal sugar tax on sweetened beverages to address obesity and diabetes in Australia.
  • The tax would apply to non-alcoholic water-based drinks with added sugar, including soft drinks, sports drinks, and flavoured waters.
  • Opponents of the tax argued that there are better ways to promote health without impacting families during a cost-of-living crisis.
  • Some advocates suggested regulation of sugar content instead of the 20 per cent tax. Supporters cited the United Kingdom's success in reducing obesity rates after introducing the tax in 2018.
What do you think about the proposed sugar tax? How would the tax affect your shopping and eating habits? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australia certainly has to do something. We can't keep burying our heads in the sand and think there is no problem here and it is not getting worse. Continuing to talk about it is not helping. You just have to look around and the burden on the health system is enormous. There is going to be no agreement as to the correct action but bite the bullet bir heavens sakes and act.

About time something is being done about the amount of sugar people are consuming in these sugar-laden drinks.
You see cartons of it in shopping trolleys.....don't people realise how much damage it's doing to their bodies?
No wonder our health system is struggling with over three quarters of the population overweight or obese!

What about all of the other types of foods that add to the problem, McDonalds, Hungry Jack Kentucky Fried etc. Also when you consume these and other sugar rich foods and just sit around what do you think is going to happen? There are statements about all of the other countries introducing this Sugar Tax well how is/has it impacted on the health of their population. Get people off their behinds and doing some physical labour/exercise to use the calories they are consuming in all sorts of food.

As a serious diabetic I would welcome more foods being available without sugar. Reducing sugar could help to improve health and lower obesity in the general population too.

Reactions: RodLS
What the hell is going on in this country. Most people in this country are strugeling to make ends meet and now they want to put a tax on sugar it show what the government thinks of us Australians.

Reactions: Tervueren
What the hell is going on in this country. Most people in this country are strugeling to make ends meet and now they want to put a tax on sugar it show what the government thinks of us Australians.
l'ts not going to stop people eating sugar that are addicted to it.Look at the price of cigarettes it hasn't stopped my son from smoking . l know a woman that pours salt on her food which is also bad for you so perhaps we should have that taxed too.

As a serious diabetic I would welcome more foods being available without sugar. Reducing sugar could help to improve health and lower obesity in the general population too.
What about the risk of using artificial sweeteners being a cancer risk? Yes diabetes is a problem and the number is growing but a large percentage of the population should not have to be penalised, a new tax, to rectify a problem that can be tackled by other measures. Only applying it to drinks when there are a whole range of other foods contributing to the diabetes problem, breakfast cereals and lollies and cake icing etc. All of these foods also contain sugar and the alternatives, artificial sweeteners could be a lot worse.

If they are so concerned about our health, the solution is surely not to use "tax" as a reason to try to force us to drink less cold drinks. Why not rather promote an alternative? It is cheaper to buy a litre of milk than a litre of cold drink. This would also help support our farmers.
GrumpyOldMan

Reactions: RodLS and Tervueren
Australia certainly has to do something. We can't keep burying our heads in the sand and think there is no problem here and it is not getting worse. Continuing to talk about it is not helping. You just have to look around and the burden on the health system is enormous. There is going to be no agreement as to the correct action but bite the bullet bir heavens sakes and act.
It is a start, but only just.

No big deal l only buy sugar free drinks anyway
Ahh! But watch the price of sugar free drinks match their sugary counterparts. I was in Woolworths the other day and saw some alcohol free wine for 30% off at a staggering $14.70 a 750mL bottle or some thing! A major contributor to the price of alcohol is excise, not the cost of raw materials or manufacture. Is the alcohol excise being charged for a non alcoholic beverage?
If they are so concerned about our health, the solution is surely not to use "tax" as a reason to try to force us to drink less cold drinks. Why not rather promote an alternative? It is cheaper to buy a litre of milk than a litre of cold drink. This would also help support our farmers.
GrumpyOldMan
:unsure:

One litre of long life Woolworths brand full cream milk - $1.60

A 1.25 L bottle of Woolworths brand soft drink - $1.20.

Reactions: DLHM and Tervueren
If the government is genuinely concerned about obesity, the first step should be education, followed by the promotion of sports and physical activity. Even if people still choose to consume large amounts of sugar, educating them about the consequences of overindulgence will make them aware of the potential side effects. Education is the initial step followed by the promotion of sports and physical activity. Even if individuals continue consuming sugar, if they are educated about the ramifications of overindulgence, they will be aware of the side effects. I do not believe that taxation should be the first choice.

Reactions: DLHM
Personally I believe this is a Great Proposal also as with Cigarettes, the extra Tax added to Sugar and Nicotine then gets used to assist the Same People who consume or use these products, as in Obesity & Lung Disease. We have a Wonderful Healthcare System in Australia, but I don’t believe it’s sustainable for the Government to cover Medical Expenses in the Future. I am an ex- smoker ( not by choice), and I have experienced the Excellent Healthcare in Our Public Hospitals. Just My Opinion 🧐

Personally I believe this is a Great Proposal also as with Cigarettes, the extra Tax added to Sugar and Nicotine then gets used to assist the Same People who consume or use these products, as in Obesity & Lung Disease. We have a Wonderful Healthcare System in Australia, but I don’t believe it’s sustainable for the Government to cover Medical Expenses in the Future. I am an ex- smoker ( not by choice), and I have experienced the Excellent Healthcare in Our Public Hospitals. Just My Opinion 🧐
I am a smoker although I haven't had a cigarette for fourteen years. I am also a drinker although I haven't been pissed for twenty six years and until I snuff it I'll be a smoker and drinker. But I digress, I would to know just what are the government dollar figure amounts of the duties collected and what percentage is used or spent in any government rehabilitation programs for the victims of these insidious but legal commodities?

Last edited: