Australian football mourns the tragic loss of legendary Hall of Famer Rale Rasic

It is with heavy hearts that we at the Seniors Discount Club share the sad news of the passing of Australian football pioneer Zvonimir ‘Rale’ Rasic. At the age of 87, this trailblazing Hall of Famer has left us having made an indelible impact on the sport.

Born in Bosnia, Rasic played in Yugoslavia’s first division before making the journey to Australia in 1962. His talent and dedication to the sport led him to quickly make a name for himself in the Australian football scene.

In just eight years, Rasic was appointed as Australia’s coach at the age of 34, leading the Socceroos to their first World Cup appearance in 1974. Although Australia lost to East Germany (2-0), West Germany (3-0) and drew with Chile (0-0), Rasic's efforts and passion for the sport would be remembered for years to come.

1686197146656.png
Rasic was the first coach to take Australia to the World Cup. Image credit: Sport Australia Hall of Fame

One of Rasic's significant achievements includes his leadership during Australia's first World Cup qualification match against South Korea. Rasic was known to positively impact the careers of several notable players, such as Robbie Slater, who has often credited Rasic as the driving force behind his successful football career.

Despite the World Cup results, Rasic's coaching stint was cut short, with some claiming it was due to not being considered a ‘real Aussie’ by the nation's football hierarchy. The trailblazer, however, stood his ground, stating that he was a true-blue Aussie.

Rasic stated, 'They took from me something that I was doing better than anyone else. I was a true-blue Aussie and nobody can deny that. I taught the players how to sing the national anthem.'

His love for the Socceroos, past and present, remained immense. As Rasic told SBS two years ago, ‘Very easy question and I have a simple answer: the Socceroos and the green and gold jersey are my life.’

The impact of Rasic's coaching career spanned various teams. His first coaching job was in Footscray, followed by Melbourne HSC, St. George Budapest, Marconi, and Pan Hellenic.

Rasic was also known for his hands-on coaching style and ability to connect with players personally, fostering a strong sense of camaraderie and teamwork amongst the Socceroos.

Rasic's incredible contributions were recognised in 2004 when he received the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for his service to the sport.

Current Socceroos coach Graham Arnold expressed his devastation at the news of Rasic's passing, noting how he changed the game in Australia by qualifying the nation for its first World Cup. Arnold described Rasic as a man who ‘loved a chat and loved a story’, with his passion and love for football inspiring countless people, both on and off the field.

Comparing Rasic's contribution to the Australian football scene with the current state of the sport highlights how he helped pave the way for future generations. His determination, dedication, and ability to bring out the best in the players he coached have left an enduring impact on the sport in Australia.

Social media has been overwhelmed with tributes pouring in for the Australian football icon, with many expressing their gratitude for the difference he made in the sport and the lasting impact his passion and work will have on future generations.

To honour Rale Rasic's incredible legacy, fans and the football community can participate in memorials and tribute events organised by local clubs, share their own stories and experiences with Rasic, and continue to preserve his memory by supporting Australian football and the growth of the sport in the country.

Key Takeaways

• Australian football pioneer Rale Rasic, who was the first coach to take the Socceroos to a World Cup, has passed away at the age of 87.
  • Rasic was a member of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame and remains one of the nation's most influential football figures.
  • After a playing career in Yugoslavia's first division, Rasic arrived in Australia in 1962 and became the national team's coach just eight years later.
  • In 2004, Rasic was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for his service to the sport, with Socceroos coach Graham Arnold describing his passing as 'devastating'.

Today, we extend our deepest condolences to Rale Rasic's family and friends. His legacy will be remembered and celebrated as a pioneer who revolutionised the sport in Australia. Rest in peace, Rale Rasic. You will be missed.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Zoya and Annette V
Sponsored
It is with heavy hearts that we at the Seniors Discount Club share the sad news of the passing of Australian football pioneer Zvonimir ‘Rale’ Rasic. At the age of 87, this trailblazing Hall of Famer has left us having made an indelible impact on the sport.

Born in Bosnia, Rasic played in Yugoslavia’s first division before making the journey to Australia in 1962. His talent and dedication to the sport led him to quickly make a name for himself in the Australian football scene.

In just eight years, Rasic was appointed as Australia’s coach at the age of 34, leading the Socceroos to their first World Cup appearance in 1974. Although Australia lost to East Germany (2-0), West Germany (3-0) and drew with Chile (0-0), Rasic's efforts and passion for the sport would be remembered for years to come.

View attachment 21802
Rasic was the first coach to take Australia to the World Cup. Image credit: Sport Australia Hall of Fame

One of Rasic's significant achievements includes his leadership during Australia's first World Cup qualification match against South Korea. Rasic was known to positively impact the careers of several notable players, such as Robbie Slater, who has often credited Rasic as the driving force behind his successful football career.

Despite the World Cup results, Rasic's coaching stint was cut short, with some claiming it was due to not being considered a ‘real Aussie’ by the nation's football hierarchy. The trailblazer, however, stood his ground, stating that he was a true-blue Aussie.

Rasic stated, 'They took from me something that I was doing better than anyone else. I was a true-blue Aussie and nobody can deny that. I taught the players how to sing the national anthem.'

His love for the Socceroos, past and present, remained immense. As Rasic told SBS two years ago, ‘Very easy question and I have a simple answer: the Socceroos and the green and gold jersey are my life.’

The impact of Rasic's coaching career spanned various teams. His first coaching job was in Footscray, followed by Melbourne HSC, St. George Budapest, Marconi, and Pan Hellenic.

Rasic was also known for his hands-on coaching style and ability to connect with players personally, fostering a strong sense of camaraderie and teamwork amongst the Socceroos.

Rasic's incredible contributions were recognised in 2004 when he received the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for his service to the sport.

Current Socceroos coach Graham Arnold expressed his devastation at the news of Rasic's passing, noting how he changed the game in Australia by qualifying the nation for its first World Cup. Arnold described Rasic as a man who ‘loved a chat and loved a story’, with his passion and love for football inspiring countless people, both on and off the field.

Comparing Rasic's contribution to the Australian football scene with the current state of the sport highlights how he helped pave the way for future generations. His determination, dedication, and ability to bring out the best in the players he coached have left an enduring impact on the sport in Australia.

Social media has been overwhelmed with tributes pouring in for the Australian football icon, with many expressing their gratitude for the difference he made in the sport and the lasting impact his passion and work will have on future generations.

To honour Rale Rasic's incredible legacy, fans and the football community can participate in memorials and tribute events organised by local clubs, share their own stories and experiences with Rasic, and continue to preserve his memory by supporting Australian football and the growth of the sport in the country.

Key Takeaways

• Australian football pioneer Rale Rasic, who was the first coach to take the Socceroos to a World Cup, has passed away at the age of 87.
  • Rasic was a member of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame and remains one of the nation's most influential football figures.
  • After a playing career in Yugoslavia's first division, Rasic arrived in Australia in 1962 and became the national team's coach just eight years later.
  • In 2004, Rasic was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for his service to the sport, with Socceroos coach Graham Arnold describing his passing as 'devastating'.

Today, we extend our deepest condolences to Rale Rasic's family and friends. His legacy will be remembered and celebrated as a pioneer who revolutionised the sport in Australia. Rest in peace, Rale Rasic. You will be missed.

Our Condolences to Rale's family. There was no other, as dedicated and loyal to Australian Football. He coached my husband in his early years, and was tough, and determined to instill a hard work ethic into his team, and he did. Australian Football has lost a true legend. He was invited to our Wedding some 48 years ago, but had a prior engagement, the rest of the team came along thinking a big night out, during the reception A message arrived from Rale "See you all at Training tomorrow morning, including the groom."

RIP RR

I have never heard of him. I recognise most NRL coaches and players and past Cricket players and coaches but I have not heard of this man.

Condolences to his family

View attachment 21802

Key Takeaways

RIP!