Australian company’s 'intentionally deceptive' logo receives online backlash

In this age of conscious consumerism, many Australians are keen to support local products and industries.

Thus, encountering misleading branding can rightly cause a stir amongst shoppers looking to back Australian businesses.

One such controversy has erupted as customers lash out at Cocobella Coconut Water for what has been described as an 'intentionally deceptive' logo.

Cocobella Coconut Water, distributed by the Made Group based in Dandenong, Victoria, has been accused of misleading customers into believing its product is made in Australia.

The logo, which features the company's name superimposed onto a map of Australia, has sparked outrage among consumers, despite the packaging clearly stating that it is a 'Product of Thailand'.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 114218.png
The company Made Group has been accused online of misleading consumers that their product is made in Australia. Image: Reddit

The controversy began when a person on social media noticed the discrepancy and posted a photo with the caption: 'We’re called Thailand now, are we?'.

This sparked a heated online debate, with some defending Cocobella and others expressing their anger and disappointment.

Observers say the issue at hand is not just about the origin of the product, but the perceived intention behind the logo.

‘But it’s completely, intentionally deceptive,’ one consumer wrote.

‘The company name was created with the intent for it to be used in a logo as it is to have the buyer believe the product was made in Australia.’

'That’s very deceptive and I appreciate OP (original poster) for pointing it out. I’ve actually purchased this product a few times and will cease to,' one person wrote.

‘Buying from an overseas producer is a choice people are free to make, and it may be the only option,’ another stated.

‘Deliberately misleading consumers isn't right morally or legally though, even though they have “Made in Thailand” written on there. That logo is dodgy, and they should be smacked down for it.’

In response to the controversy, a Made spokesperson said: 'We are sorry to hear that anyone has felt misled. It was not our intention.’

‘The intention of this mark, which we have used for some time, was to communicate that Cocobella is made by us at the Made Group as an Australian-based business.'

‘As acknowledged, all products do include the appropriate country of origin statements. We take all consumer feedback on board. On reflection, we acknowledge the potential confusion of this mark. As such, we will update this detail on our next run of relevant coconut water packaging.’

Meanwhile, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) warns that ‘businesses risk breaking the law if they make inaccurate country of origin claims,’ this includes using 'words, images or symbols that suggest a product is from a particular country'.

‘Labelling showing the shape of Italy in the colours of the Italian flag could imply a connection between the product and Italy’, the ACCC’s website said.

Under Australian Consumer Law, companies could also violate the law and be fined for penalties if ‘extra words or images’ are used to ‘create an overall misleading impression’ that a certain product is Aussie-made.

Furthermore, while coconut palms grow in northern Australia, they are still not considered to be a native species, and the majority of coconut products sold in the country come from foreign countries or are made from imported raw ingredients.

Some of the other Cocobella products, such as its strawberry yoghurt, also have the Made branding on a map of Australia, but with an additional triangular kangaroo logo and the words ‘Made in Australia from 52 per cent Australian ingredients’.

An ACCC spokesperson said: ‘Under the Australian Consumer Law, businesses must not mislead or deceive consumers about their goods, including on food labelling.’

‘Special care should be taken when using images or symbols on products to ensure that they do not give a misleading impression. Additional claims or representations should not negate or contradict the information contained in the food product’s country of origin label.’

Remember, as consumers, people have the power to influence businesses through purchasing decisions.

By being informed and vigilant, people can encourage companies to be more transparent and honest in their labelling practices.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian company, Made Group, which owns Cocobella Coconut Water, has faced backlash for using a logo on its packaging that consumers have found misleading.
  • The logo includes the company name superimposed onto a map of Australia; however, the product is clearly labelled as a 'Product of Thailand'.
  • After some criticism on social media, the company acknowledged the potential confusion caused by the logo and promised to update the packaging on the next run of their coconut water products.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) advises that businesses must not make misleading country of origin claims, and care should be taken not to create a false impression with additional images or symbols on product packaging.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you ever felt misled by a product's labelling? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Big deal we have a visitor to Australia called the Prime Minister of Australia a foreign Minister who looks after foreign countries not Australia using Australian funds and a Nigel moron who hasnt got a clue what Australians want and you are worried about printing on a box/

It doesn't say Made in Thailand, it says Product of Thailand. The coconuts are imported from Thailand, and then the water is made here in Australia. Lots of products are made this way, Australia cannot grow everything we eat here.

Product dodgy labelling. Woolworths and Coles have been swapping the price per litre of Coke Cola for price per box when selling 2 boxes at a special price. eg 2x 24 boxes for $50 or 1 for ??? but no price per litre and then Coles had no price at all on their stack of 30cans per box on Saturday for $28.30 which comes out at 28. 31c/ltr when previously it had been 23.44 or 23. 39/ litre. In other words the price had jumped by about 5c/l but has been well camouflaged. I think if they are selling boxed cans it should be so much per can

If you look at Ebay you will find many Chinese scammers use the Australian flag as a background when they are located in China. It is deception plain and simple. The ACCC is a toothless tiger that does nothing much to protect Australian consumers. The Australian government doesn't care about Australians at all. Over the years they have sold us out and sold us up to the Chines and other overseas interests. Who, in their right mind, would sell our utilities like power and water to a foreign entity. Whatever happened to the charge of treason? It is successive governments that have sold us out. Did anyone ever ask us before they sold off the Commonwealth bank? How much fertile land is owned by the Chinese? How many "Australian companies are owned by the Chinese? It is disgusting that the CCP punishes us for daring to speak out against their lies and yet the government continually sucks up to them. They used to hang traitors. Maybe we should erect a gallows outside parliament house to give them the hint that they are way out of line!

Product dodgy labelling. Woolworths and Coles have been swapping the price per litre of Coke Cola for price per box when selling 2 boxes at a special price. eg 2x 24 boxes for $50 or 1 for ??? but no price per litre and then Coles had no price at all on their stack of 30cans per box on Saturday for $28.30 which comes out at 28. 31c/ltr when previously it had been 23.44 or 23. 39/ litre. In other words the price had jumped by about 5c/l but has been well camouflaged. I think if they are selling boxed cans it should be so much per can
Don't buy Coca Cola. It is bad for your health anyway.

Any liquid product should have a price/litre, irrespective of can number per pack or single. Manufacturers are prone to putting less in a can or package, and keeping the same price per item, as are supermarkets!

Reactions: Jennie and SandyM
Just because you say so doesn't make it true. The pricing policy at Coles is per litre. The price is displayed in fine print. Maybe it's time to go to Specsavers.

If you look at Ebay you will find many Chinese scammers use the Australian flag as a background when they are located in China. It is deception plain and simple. The ACCC is a toothless tiger that does nothing much to protect Australian consumers. The Australian government doesn't care about Australians at all. Over the years they have sold us out and sold us up to the Chines and other overseas interests. Who, in their right mind, would sell our utilities like power and water to a foreign entity. Whatever happened to the charge of treason? It is successive governments that have sold us out. Did anyone ever ask us before they sold off the Commonwealth bank? How much fertile land is owned by the Chinese? How many "Australian companies are owned by the Chinese? It is disgusting that the CCP punishes us for daring to speak out against their lies and yet the government continually sucks up to them. They used to hang traitors. Maybe we should erect a gallows outside parliament house to give them the hint that they are way out of line!
Why Don't We put a 70% tariff on their heap of CRAP CARS, remember the wine tariff by China.
Don't forget the 99-YEAR LEASE, THE PORT OF DARWIN TO A CHINA COMPANY !!!
Thank the Liberal Govt for that.

Thankfully, I don't buy this type of crap and secondly, I always read my labels fully. Yes, it takes more time, but I like to know what I'm getting.
With respect coconut water is not crap! It’s quite healthy if you’re not diabetic as it has some natural sugars. Very hydrating and a good alternative to milk in a smoothie
Your decision not to buy it doesn’t make it crap okay.

Big deal we have a visitor to Australia called the Prime Minister of Australia a foreign Minister who looks after foreign countries not Australia using Australian funds and a Nigel moron who hasnt got a clue what Australians want and you are worried about printing on a box/
It's misleading, just like lying politicians and trolls like you, picking fights with people for no reason, stfu.

• Haha
Reactions: JedCorella
I hate it when companies just add the word "spices" in the list of ingredients instead of listing the actual spices. I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world with allergies to some spices. Ingham's used to have a frozen product that I loved and they stopped it for about 6 months, then they brought it back with the word "spices" added to it. I rang them and after 3 days the girl I spoke to finally found out yes there was chilli and paprika in there, 2 I am allergic to. Chilli I am DEATHLY allergic to. I can imagine what would have happened if I had just eaten some without checking!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: ECassidy