Australian-born Princess Mary of Denmark to become the next Danish Queen after monarch’s shock abdication

In a surprising turn of events, Denmark's Queen Margrethe II announced her decision to abdicate the throne on January 14, 2024, marking the end of a five-decade reign.

This unexpected announcement has sent ripples through the royal circles and left the world anticipating what's to come.

Queen Margrethe II, at the age of 83, is currently the longest-serving monarch in Europe, following the passing of Queen Elizabeth last year.

Her reign, which began on January 14, 1972, following her father, King Frederik IX's death, has been marked by her warm personality, linguistic prowess, and artistic talents.

GCs4t_BW4AAlelF.jpg
Denmark's Queen Margrethe II decided to abdicate the throne this year. Credit: @RoyalCentral/X (Twitter)

The queen has been a beloved figure in Denmark, often seen walking the streets of Copenhagen practically by herself, winning the hearts of Danes with her approachable demeanour.

However, a major operation led her to contemplate her future and the future of the Danish monarchy.

'In February [of 2023], I underwent extensive back surgery,' she said.

'Everything went well, thanks to the competent health personnel who took care of me. Inevitably, the operation gave cause to thoughts about the future—whether now would be an appropriate time to pass on the responsibility to the next generation.'

‘I have decided that now is the right time,’ Her Majesty added.

The Queen's decision to abdicate will see her son, Crown Prince Frederik, ascend to the throne, marking a new era for the Danish monarchy.

This transition will also pave the way for Crown Princess Mary, who first met Crown Prince Frederik at a Sydney pub during the Olympic Games in 2000, to become the new queen.

The couple, who have four children, are about to embark on a new journey as the King and Queen of Denmark, a role that will undoubtedly bring about significant changes in their lives.

The Danish Prime Minister's office has also confirmed Prince Frederik’s ascension as His Majesty King Frederik X in January 2024.

Following a meeting in the Council of State, the prime minister will announce the change of throne at Christiansborg Castle. Queen Margrethe II will continue to be addressed as Her Majesty despite stepping down.

You can watch Queen Margrethe II’s abdication speech here:

While largely ceremonial, the Danish monarchy plays a crucial role in the country's constitution. The monarchs serve as important ambassadors and are responsible for signing off on new legislation.

As such, the abdication of Queen Margrethe II and the ascension of King Frederik X will mark a significant shift in the Danish royal landscape.

From Tassie to Denmark: Australian-born Danish Crown Princess Mary’s path to royalty​

Mary, born in 1972 to mathematics professor John Dalgleish Donaldson and executive assistant Henrietta Clark, lived an ordinary suburban upbringing in Hobart.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 101823.png
The Crown Princess was born in Australia in 1972. Credit: @kensingtonblue/X (Twitter)

Attending Taroona High School in the shadow of sandy beaches and dolerite cliffs, Mary stood out with her 'outgoing' nature and leadership skills, according to former principal Robin Fox. Little did he know, she would one day stand in line to be Queen.

After university, Mary pursued advertising and luxury real estate in Australia's bustling cities. But a chance encounter at 28 would set her life on an astonishing trajectory.

Some would say how the Danish Prince and Princess met takes the phrase ‘chance encounter’ to another level.

While working in Sydney in 2000, Mary's flatmate invited her to drinks one night. Her flatmate was, in turn, invited by a friend. It turns out that this friend was invited by their sister, who was invited by the then-Prince of Asturias Felipe VI (incidentally, now the King of Spain).

It is said that sparks immediately flew between the prince from Denmark and the down-to-earth Tasmanian girl. Frederik returned to secretly visit Mary, their romance blossoming over the next 12 months.

Sensing immense change ahead, Mary undertook an intensive self-improvement course to gain confidence befitting royalty. The training paid off—after moving to Denmark in 2001, Mary quickly won over Frederik's subjects.

'We love Mary so much that I think Australia actually came closer to Scandinavia when we learned of her,' said Danish journalist Kristian Ring-Hansen Holt. Her effortless Danish and warm personality 'took the hearts of the Danes’.

On October 8, 2003, Frederik proposed in a fairy-tale moment. Their royal wedding in Copenhagen the following May sparked Tasmanian pride in Mary's achievement. True enough, sailing heritage even graced celebrations—the royal yacht is named Tasmania.

Now a dedicated mother of four, Mary is about to become Queen after the surprise abdication of Europe's longest-reigning monarch, Queen Margrethe II.

Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff joined Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen in praising the new Queen-to-be’s readiness. 'I look forward to watching the next generation and Tasmania’s own born Queen lead Denmark’s future,' he stated.

Key Takeaways
  • Danish Queen Margrethe II has announced she will abdicate on January 14, 2024, after over fifty years on the throne following health considerations.
  • Crown Prince Frederik is set to become the new King of Denmark, with his wife, Crown Princess Mary, to become Queen.
  • Crown Princess Mary was born in Australia in 1972. She met Crown Prince Frederik at a Sydney pub during the Olympic Games 2000.
  • Queen Margrethe's decision came after extensive back surgery in February 2023, leading to reflections on the future.

What are your thoughts on this surprising royal news, members? Share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think she did the right thing in abdicating, allowing her time to herself in her later years.
I think Queen Elizabeth should have done the same thing but I'm guessing she couldn't trust Charles
I believe she abdicated because of talk of Freddie and the gossip about his playboy activities , after all he was in line to be King .

I believe she abdicated because of talk of Freddie and the gossip about his playboy activities , after all he was in line to be King .
I read about how he was having an affair and thought poor Mary.
If this is his ways I don't think becoming King will change him . I think his lucky Mary stuck by him

I think she did the right thing in abdicating, allowing her time to herself in her later years.
I think Queen Elizabeth should have done the same thing but I'm guessing she couldn't trust Charles
you are so right but the abdication was predicted by an Aussie psychic at Christmas time

In a surprising turn of events, Denmark's Queen Margrethe II announced her decision to abdicate the throne on January 14, 2024, marking the end of a five-decade reign.

This unexpected announcement has sent ripples through the royal circles and left the world anticipating what's to come.

Queen Margrethe II, at the age of 83, is currently the longest-serving monarch in Europe, following the passing of Queen Elizabeth last year.

Her reign, which began on January 14, 1972, following her father, King Frederik IX's death, has been marked by her warm personality, linguistic prowess, and artistic talents.

View attachment 38464
Denmark's Queen Margrethe II decided to abdicate the throne this year. Credit: @RoyalCentral/X (Twitter)

The queen has been a beloved figure in Denmark, often seen walking the streets of Copenhagen practically by herself, winning the hearts of Danes with her approachable demeanour.

However, a major operation led her to contemplate her future and the future of the Danish monarchy.

'Everything went well, thanks to the competent health personnel who took care of me. Inevitably, the operation gave cause to thoughts about the future—whether now would be an appropriate time to pass on the responsibility to the next generation.'

The Queen's decision to abdicate will see her son, Crown Prince Frederik, ascend to the throne, marking a new era for the Danish monarchy.

This transition will also pave the way for Crown Princess Mary, who first met Crown Prince Frederik at a Sydney pub during the Olympic Games in 2000, to become the new queen.

The couple, who have four children, are about to embark on a new journey as the King and Queen of Denmark, a role that will undoubtedly bring about significant changes in their lives.

The Danish Prime Minister's office has also confirmed Prince Frederik’s ascension as His Majesty King Frederik X in January 2024.

Following a meeting in the Council of State, the prime minister will announce the change of throne at Christiansborg Castle. Queen Margrethe II will continue to be addressed as Her Majesty despite stepping down.

While largely ceremonial, the Danish monarchy plays a crucial role in the country's constitution. The monarchs serve as important ambassadors and are responsible for signing off on new legislation.

As such, the abdication of Queen Margrethe II and the ascension of King Frederik X will mark a significant shift in the Danish royal landscape.

From Tassie to Denmark: Australian-born Danish Crown Princess Mary’s path to royalty​

Mary, born in 1972 to mathematics professor John Dalgleish Donaldson and executive assistant Henrietta Clark, lived an ordinary suburban upbringing in Hobart.

View attachment 38466
The Crown Princess was born in Australia in 1972. Credit: @kensingtonblue/X (Twitter)

Attending Taroona High School in the shadow of sandy beaches and dolerite cliffs, Mary stood out with her 'outgoing' nature and leadership skills, according to former principal Robin Fox. Little did he know, she would one day stand in line to be Queen.

After university, Mary pursued advertising and luxury real estate in Australia's bustling cities. But a chance encounter at 28 would set her life on an astonishing trajectory.

Some would say how the Danish Prince and Princess met takes the phrase ‘chance encounter’ to another level.

While working in Sydney in 2000, Mary's flatmate invited her to drinks one night. Her flatmate was, in turn, invited by a friend. It turns out that this friend was invited by their sister, who was invited by the then-Prince of Asturias Felipe VI (incidentally, now the King of Spain).

It is said that sparks immediately flew between the prince from Denmark and the down-to-earth Tasmanian girl. Frederik returned to secretly visit Mary, their romance blossoming over the next 12 months.

Sensing immense change ahead, Mary undertook an intensive self-improvement course to gain confidence befitting royalty. The training paid off—after moving to Denmark in 2001, Mary quickly won over Frederik's subjects.

'We love Mary so much that I think Australia actually came closer to Scandinavia when we learned of her,' said Danish journalist Kristian Ring-Hansen Holt. Her effortless Danish and warm personality 'took the hearts of the Danes’.

On October 8, 2003, Frederik proposed in a fairy-tale moment. Their royal wedding in Copenhagen the following May sparked Tasmanian pride in Mary's achievement. True enough, sailing heritage even graced celebrations—the royal yacht is named Tasmania.

Now a dedicated mother of four, Mary is about to become Queen after the surprise abdication of Europe's longest-reigning monarch, Queen Margrethe II.

Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff joined Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen in praising the new Queen-to-be’s readiness. 'I look forward to watching the next generation and Tasmania’s own born Queen lead Denmark’s future,' he stated.

Key Takeaways

• Danish Queen Margrethe II has announced she will abdicate on January 14, 2024, after over fifty years on the throne following health considerations.
  • Crown Prince Frederik is set to become the new King of Denmark, with his wife, Crown Princess Mary, to become Queen.
  • Crown Princess Mary was born in Australia in 1972. She met Crown Prince Frederik at a Sydney pub during the Olympic Games 2000.
  • Queen Margrethe's decision came after extensive back surgery in February 2023, leading to reflections on the future.

What are your thoughts on this surprising royal news, members? Share them in the comments below.

Apparantely all the reports were false about the affair cooked up by the press for abit of drama. If she thought he was unfaithful she’d hardly let him be king now would she.😍

I think it is great Mary is becoming queen, she is a classy lady, and the Danish people love her. Frederick is a handsome man, hopefully their marriage will withstand the rumoured affair as they are a popular couple. They have four kids, I’m sure they will be a great king and queen and a wonderful royal family.

I think it is great Mary is becoming queen, she is a classy lady, and the Danish people love her. Frederick is a handsome man, hopefully their marriage will withstand the rumoured affair as they are a popular couple. They have four kids, I’m sure they will be a great king and queen and a wonderful royal family.
Even the so called girl involved denied it vehemently she said she was going to sue the tabloids for dragging her name through the mud. Hope she does I saw all this on world news.😍

View attachment 38464

View attachment 38466

Key Takeaways

It makes laugh when the papers keep on about Mary being an Australian queen, I have known Ausie queens for over forty at seas?. 😉😉😉😎😎😎

Last edited:
I read about how he was having an affair and thought poor Mary.
If this is his ways I don't think becoming King will change him . I think his lucky Mary stuck by him
Yes he doesn’t know how lucky 🍀 he is to have someone like our Mary stand by him , leopards 🐆 never change their spots.
Not all happily ever after for the fairytale pair if the rumours are true, eh? I sure hope not for the wife and especially for the kids.

not all psychics need inside information. Many get voices, or gut feelings or sometimes see things and are NOT schitzophrenic. Think how spot on Nostradamus was with his predictions eons ago.
So interesting, astronomers and astrologers of the early days - seems we lost of lot of knowledge at some point on our timeline - such a quandary! The Lost City of Atlantis??

Reactions: Littleboy8
When Elizabeth ascended the throne stated that how however long her reign was, she would serve for life, (in so many words, I certainly can't remember her verbatim oath to the people of the then not so fractured Commonwealth.)

Even the so called girl involved denied it vehemently she said she was going to sue the tabloids for dragging her name through the mud. Hope she does I saw all this on world news.😍
Apparently they have been meeting up a couple of times a year and it's not just one photo and there are many many more
So if he was cheating why did he meet up with her so many times and actually taken her out , so many times
images.jpeg-62.jpgimages.jpeg-60.jpgimages.jpeg-59.jpgd4a48978befd83d307e35332d58da579.jpeg.jpg