Australia Post under fire for ‘lazy’ delivery attempt

We often find ourselves juggling more responsibilities and struggling to manage our time effectively. This can make running errands a stressful and overwhelming experience.

Luckily, the rise of online shopping and delivery services has made our lives much easier by allowing us to avoid crowded stores and long lines.

One delivery service that has become a go-to for many Australians is Australia Post. With their speedy service, we trust them to safely deliver our important packages.

However, not all experiences with the company are positive.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.42.46 AM.png
A business owner has hit out at Australia Post after capturing video footage of a worker's 'lazy' failed delivery. Credit: Facebook.

Recently, a business owner in Newcastle, NSW, shared a video on social media capturing an alarming moment when an Australia Post worker appeared to make a half-hearted attempt at a delivery.

In the footage, we see the postie quickly pull up to the business, grab the package from the back, scan it, jot down a collection card, and return the package to the storage box - all in just 90 seconds!

The frustrated customer took to social media to express their disappointment, saying, 'This is apparently Australia Post's idea of attempting to deliver a registered post item.'

To make matters worse, the customer was in their office at the time of the attempted delivery, with a big 'open' sign displayed in the window. The postie could have easily gone to the door and knocked, and the customer would have been more than happy to receive the package personally.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.42.39 AM.png
Plenty of online commentators noted that the delivery driver should've bolted up the stairs and knocked on the door instead. Credit: Unsplash/Ismael Paramo.

The video of the Australia Post worker's half-hearted delivery attempt has sparked a wave of outrage among Facebook users. Many have encouraged the customer to file a complaint with AusPost, with one person saying the incident made their 'blood boil'.

Another user sarcastically commented that the postie looked 'quite keen and motivated', while others noted that it would have been quicker for him to simply knock on the door rather than go through the motions of filling out a collection card.

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident, and many others have shared their own frustrating experiences with delivery delays and package mix-ups.

One user shared that they currently have a package en route from Tamworth to Newcastle that has been to Queensland and Perth and back again.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.42.34 AM.png
There is another reason why Australia Post workers often leave collection cards instead of dropping off parcels. Credit: Facebook/Australia Post.

Why do Australia Post workers often leave collection cards, instead of properly delivering the parcel?

The frustrating issue of Australia Post workers leaving collection cards instead of delivering parcels has been revealed to have a deeper underlying cause. According to a former delivery driver who spoke to a news source, the problem lies in the way contractors are paid.

While corporate Australia Post workers are paid an hourly rate, contractors are paid per parcel. This means that they are incentivised to deliver as many parcels as possible or leave collection cards, rather than taking the time to ensure successful deliveries.

In fact, the former driver revealed that he was paid just $1.50 per package during his time as a contractor in Melbourne.

While obstacles such as high fences and off-leash dogs may contribute to some missed deliveries, it's clear that the pay structure for contractors is a significant factor.

Until this underlying issue is addressed, it's likely that customers will continue to experience frustrations with unreliable and inconsistent delivery services.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.42.26 AM.png
Australia Post said the delivery driver failed to meet their high standards. Credit: Facebook/Australia Post.

Australia Post has responded to the Newcastle delivery incident, acknowledging that the delivery driver failed to meet their standards. A spokesperson for the company told Yahoo News Australia that they take immediate steps to address any deliveries that do not meet their expectations.

The company has strict protocols in place for items such as registered mail, and they encourage customers to contact them directly about any delivery issues. They have apologised to the customer for any inconvenience caused and are looking into the matter.

It's reassuring to see that Australia Post is taking the issue seriously and is committed to ensuring high standards of service for all customers.

Let's hope that the company's efforts to address the underlying issues with its delivery services will lead to improved experiences for customers across the country.

Key Takeaways

• A business owner has slammed Australia Post for a worker's failed delivery attempt, as seen in a CCTV video posted on Facebook.
  • The postie can be seen scanning the package and filling out a collection card instead of attempting to deliver the parcel.
  • Numerous Facebook users encouraged the customer to file a complaint with AusPost.
  • In response to the failed delivery, Australia Post said the delivery driver failed to meet their high standards, and they will be looking into the matter.

At the end of the day, we all want to have a positive experience when it comes to delivery services. We want to be able to trust that our parcels will be delivered on time and with care.

If you do experience any issues with a delivery, it's important to contact the company and report it as soon as possible so that they can take the necessary steps to address the issue.

Members, have you ever had a similar experience to the one mentioned above? We'd love to hear your thoughts and stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I find Aust post ridiculous in their charges and attitude I personally deliver my local mail local in Gosford (about 25 letters p.w.)in my car and it takes about 20 min and about 2 ltrs of fuel, (and thats with I or2 letters per street). ....1 hr labour and 2 ltr fuel. and thats just for 25 letters.....

Reactions: Ricci
I find Aust post ridiculous in their charges and attitude I personally deliver my local mail local in Gosford (about 25 letters p.w.)in my car and it takes about 20 min and about 2 ltrs of fuel, (and thats with I or2 letters per street). ....1 hr labour and 2 ltr fuel. and thats just for 25 letters.....
. . . and where do those 25 letters come from?
Do you also collect them from their various points of origin, transport them to a central sorting centre, separate them from many other items heading for many other destinations, then sort them into the order of streets and street numbers before you start your delivery routine?
Furthermore, running a vehicle isn't just the cost of fuel. It has to be bought, insured and serviced as well.
25 letters to 20 different(?) addresses in 20 minutes, in and out of your car at each one - really? No wonder you call yourself 'Phantom'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Out of my last TEN packages two have really attempted delivery. The other 8 leave missed delivery cards or notifications in the App that no one was home or, lately, my reports were met with the excuse my (apartment) “buzzer” wasn’t working….. my doorbell is connects to my phone and most of the time I was home. Sometimes I see the postie drive past my balcony and find a missed de card in my post box. Numerous complaints have fallen on deaf ears…. 😳🤔🙄

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci and Jennylolo