Australia Post employee faces backlash for blocking disabled parking

For many people, especially seniors and disabled individuals, even simple tasks like finding a parking spot can become a daunting challenge.

Thankfully, there are special parks designed with features like extra space, closer proximity to building entrances, and room for wheelchair ramps to make lives a little easier.

Sadly, though, it's not uncommon for these parking spots to be taken by able-bodied individuals who don't necessarily require them.

This can be frustrating and inconvenient for those who rely on these spots for their daily activities, such as running errands or attending medical appointments.

Imagine having to circle the parking lot multiple times or park further away from the entrance - this can be a real struggle for those with mobility issues.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 1.03.13 PM.png
Those with disabilities or limited mobility can breathe a sigh of relief thanks to the designated parking spots available to them. Credit: Devonport.tas.gov.au.

It's not just the physical challenges that are frustrating for seniors and disabled persons; the mental and emotional toll is just as significant.

Many face obstacles in their daily lives and not being able to park in an accessible spot can add to their stress and anxiety.

That is why it's no surprise that an Australia Post employee was slammed on social media after a photo surfaced showing them blocking disability parking access.

The photo in question showed a delivery van that was illegally parked in an area between two disabled parking spaces - sparking an intense debate among social media users about the apparent failure on the part of an Australia Post employee.

The delivery van was parked over the yellow diagonal markings of the 'no parking' bay which, as pointed out by many commenters on the photo, is designed for side access to vehicles for people with disabilities.

The caption accompanying the photo said that the act 'says heaps about the ethics of Australia Post employees', and that 'it is illegal to even stop in that area as it denies the disabled access'.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 1.03.04 PM.png
Australia Post is facing backlash after an employee was seen parking in a shared access area between two disabled parking bays. Credit: Facebook.

Many comments and mixed opinions followed, accusing the driver of blatant negligence or even purposeful disregard for the law, the consequences of which can be quite serious.

One user put it succinctly: 'What do they [the driver] expect someone in a wheelchair to do when they can't get into their car? Just wait there as punishment for being disabled because someone's too lazy to park further?'

Other commenters, including the original poster, thought that this kind of behaviour can be prevented if bollards - which, it should be noted, are regularly used for this purpose - are installed, making it harder for drivers to mistakenly believe it is a loading zone.

'However, ignorance of the law is no excuse and to hold a driver's licence you are expected to know the rules,' they went on to say.

Ultimately, though, it all boils down to a matter of basic respect - the respect that all drivers, regardless of their age and situation, owe to each other.

Australia Post has publicly responded to the incident, and they have offered their sincere apologies. They've also stated that they will 'fully investigate and take appropriate action'.
Key Takeaways

• An Australia Post employee was seen parking in a ‘no parking’ shared access area between two disabled parking spots.
  • Many people had strong feelings about the photo, with some accusing the driver of wilful or reckless disregard for the law and a lack of respect.
  • Australia Post has apologised for the incident and said it is investigating.
We don't know the whole story, but what's clear is that the driver parked in the wrong spot.

This type of parking is crucial for those who rely on it, and by occupying the space, the driver is making things more challenging for the people around them. It's important to be mindful of these types of spaces and leave them open for their intended purpose.

Members, what do you think of this situation? Have you ever found yourself in a similar predicament - with someone preventing you from using an accessible park? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
For many people, especially seniors and disabled individuals, even simple tasks like finding a parking spot can become a daunting challenge.

Thankfully, there are special parks designed with features like extra space, closer proximity to building entrances, and room for wheelchair ramps to make lives a little easier.

Sadly, though, it's not uncommon for these parking spots to be taken by able-bodied individuals who don't necessarily require them.

This can be frustrating and inconvenient for those who rely on these spots for their daily activities, such as running errands or attending medical appointments.

Imagine having to circle the parking lot multiple times or park further away from the entrance - this can be a real struggle for those with mobility issues.

View attachment 14009
Those with disabilities or limited mobility can breathe a sigh of relief thanks to the designated parking spots available to them. Credit: Devonport.tas.gov.au.

It's not just the physical challenges that are frustrating for seniors and disabled persons; the mental and emotional toll is just as significant.

Many face obstacles in their daily lives and not being able to park in an accessible spot can add to their stress and anxiety.

That is why it's no surprise that an Australia Post employee was slammed on social media after a photo surfaced showing them blocking disability parking access.

The photo in question showed a delivery van that was illegally parked in an area between two disabled parking spaces - sparking an intense debate among social media users about the apparent failure on the part of an Australia Post employee.

The delivery van was parked over the yellow diagonal markings of the 'no parking' bay which, as pointed out by many commenters on the photo, is designed for side access to vehicles for people with disabilities.

The caption accompanying the photo said that the act 'says heaps about the ethics of Australia Post employees', and that 'it is illegal to even stop in that area as it denies the disabled access'.

View attachment 14008
Australia Post is facing backlash after an employee was seen parking in a shared access area between two disabled parking bays. Credit: Facebook.

Many comments and mixed opinions followed, accusing the driver of blatant negligence or even purposeful disregard for the law, the consequences of which can be quite serious.

One user put it succinctly: 'What do they [the driver] expect someone in a wheelchair to do when they can't get into their car? Just wait there as punishment for being disabled because someone's too lazy to park further?'

Other commenters, including the original poster, thought that this kind of behaviour can be prevented if bollards - which, it should be noted, are regularly used for this purpose - are installed, making it harder for drivers to mistakenly believe it is a loading zone.

'However, ignorance of the law is no excuse and to hold a driver's licence you are expected to know the rules,' they went on to say.

Ultimately, though, it all boils down to a matter of basic respect - the respect that all drivers, regardless of their age and situation, owe to each other.

Australia Post has publicly responded to the incident, and they have offered their sincere apologies. They've also stated that they will 'fully investigate and take appropriate action'.
Key Takeaways

• An Australia Post employee was seen parking in a ‘no parking’ shared access area between two disabled parking spots.
  • Many people had strong feelings about the photo, with some accusing the driver of wilful or reckless disregard for the law and a lack of respect.
We don't know the whole story, but what's clear is that the driver parked in the wrong spot.

This type of parking is crucial for those who rely on it, and by occupying the space, the driver is making things more challenging for the people around them. It's important to be mindful of these types of spaces and leave them open for their intended purpose.

Members, what do you think of this situation? Have you ever found yourself in a similar predicament - with someone preventing you from using an accessible park? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

View attachment 14009

View attachment 14008

Key Takeaways

The greatest offenders are motorcyclists who habitually use these spaces and are usually abusive if asked to move.

Well, as an ex Australia Post manager... unacceptable and driver would be disciplined (whether that happens, who knows). I note, that the van has a Queensland number plate, now a resident of the State. I have noticed a lack of driving respect and generally a lack of law enforcement. So, I'm not surprised. As Seniors, are we getting grumpy? Perhaps, but calling out bad behaviours, etiquette and rude actions. I say lets call it out and turn the tide.

If this is a designated and labeled Loading Zone, then this is legal. The issue then is why this was put there? And, why isn’t the Disabled parking bays there aren’t wider? Sounds like delivery drivers are set up for failure. This could also be a pedestrian access only.

This type of mindless parking happens all the time. I am often amused when I see that motorcycles are given special parking closer to entrances than the disabled parks! There is also a dearth of disabled parking spaces. It seems that everyone & their dog can get a permit nowadays. Take the disabled in huge 4 wheel drive, off road vehicles… I would need a hoist or step ladder to just get into the driver’s seat. Take the work vehicles, loaded with construction equipment & the backhoe, but the driver is apparently disabled???

This type of mindless parking happens all the time. I am often amused when I see that motorcycles are given special parking closer to entrances than the disabled parks! There is also a dearth of disabled parking spaces. It seems that everyone & their dog can get a permit nowadays. Take the disabled in huge 4 wheel drive, off road vehicles… I would need a hoist or step ladder to just get into the driver’s seat. Take the work vehicles, loaded with construction equipment & the backhoe, but the driver is apparently disabled???
I have had a permit for many years, and I drive a med-lge 4WD. I drive this vehicle BECAUSE I am disabled, and need the interior cabin height to get in and out without bending, due to a spinal injury.

Sadly, people make assumptions when they don't know anything, and I have actually been abused by an ignorant person who claimed I was a) too young to be disabled (er, what does age have to do with disability?) and b) obviously not disabled because I was driving a 4WD.

Believe me, I would rather still be able to drive the lovely little sedan I owned before I had my injury. Watch me struggle to walk once I get out of the car before you decide I don't deserve a permit.

I too drive a 4wd, only for ease of getting in and out. Saloon cars these days are far too close to the ground to be comfortable. I'm beginning to wonder why I ever bothered to get a disabled drivers permit as I almost never get a parking bay at my shopping centre, they are mostly filled with cars without permits. It makes me so frustrated and turns my shopping experience into a nightmare. I now do about 99% of all my shopping (clothes, shoes, food, furnishings etc,) online so that I don't have the hassle. :(

If this is a designated and labeled Loading Zone, then this is legal. The issue then is why this was put there? And, why isn’t the Disabled parking bays there aren’t wider? Sounds like delivery drivers are set up for failure. This could also be a pedestrian access only.
No this space is to give access to both disabled parking spaces to give extra room for wheelchairs and walking trolley

Alot not all but alot of delivery people don't care. They don't want to waste time looking for parking although it comes with their jobs.

I had a delivery van parked across my driveway onto the lawn just so he could deliver a parcel next door. There was plenty of parking a few doors down.

Those yellow lines definitely show its there to be shared between the 2 disability parking.

What is the striped area on the pavement next to the disabled parking for?

These adjacent aisles, which can be shared between two spaces, provide room for individuals to deploy vehicle-mounted wheelchair lifts and/or unload and use mobility devices such as wheelchairs, walkers, etc.

View attachment 14009

View attachment 14008

Key Takeaways

It is not only Australia Post. People without acrod permits do this. When you complain to the centre management they either do not ring you back or ignore you. Also so many people park there empty trollies there.

View attachment 14009

View attachment 14008

Key Takeaways

Book him Danno!

I have met people who did not realise this was why the area existed. One moved the car immediately when I pointed out they were parked illegally and explained why the space was there.

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci

View attachment 14009

View attachment 14008

Key Takeaways

I'm just grateful the mail is still getting through?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci