Australia Post announces new plan to handle mail for those away from home

We completely understand the frustration of receiving those 'Sorry we missed you' cards in the mail, especially for those of us who are always at home, ready to answer the door and sign for deliveries.

These paper cards can be annoying, not just because they make it challenging and time-consuming to retrieve our packages but also because deciphering the often illegible delivery instructions can be a real hassle.

But there's good news! In response to the frequent complaints from customers, Australia Post has introduced a new system that replaces those physical 'Sorry we missed you' cards with a digital counterpart on their AusPost app.

In other words, if you've downloaded the app and created an account, you can say goodbye to physical cards.

Instead, you'll receive digital push notifications sent directly to your mobile device or computer, complete with all the necessary delivery instructions.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 11.30.35 AM.png
Australia Post is going to start using digital missed delivery cards. Credit: Shutterstock.

If you receive a parcel through Australia Post, you're still required to visit the post office and collect your delivery if it's not left at your door. The digital card will tell you exactly which branch the item is held at.

But what if you don't have the AusPost app or a MyPost account? For those who aren't as tech-savvy, you will continue to receive traditional paper cards for your mail deliveries.

According to a spokesperson for Australia Post, 'The new digital notifications will reduce paper waste while providing customers with increased convenience, reliability and the flexibility to plan their parcel pick up when they're away from home.'

Unfortunately, even with the new digital system in place, it can't guarantee that mail carriers won't make mistakes. The response from customers has been lukewarm, to say the least.

Many customers shared stories about their mail delivery aggravations in an online forum.

One user commented: 'AusPost (is) shifting to digital missed delivery cards. So now they can send you missed delivery cards without even attending your address.'

Another agreed and shared, 'I caught one once when I was actually home, and they were dropping off a missed delivery card.'

'She sheepishly said that she had already marked it as a missed delivery and showed me the pic. I argued with her that I was right there and had been the whole time. She eventually called a supervisor who allowed her to give me my parcel. Super annoying.'

Another even said that they once chased down the delivery driver on his bike with the card and had to ask for their package literally.

'I had been waiting for it, and he just put the slip straight in the mailbox. Definitely didn't miss me,' they recalled.

Some thought the new digital card system would be more trouble than it's worth.

Meanwhile, others complained that delivery drivers taking a photo of the delivered package is also no guarantee that they got the address correct.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post is introducing a new digital system to replace 'Sorry we missed you' cards with notifications on the AusPost app.
  • The change is intended to reduce paper waste and provide customers with increased convenience in collecting their undelivered packages.
  • Some customers remain sceptical of the new system and have shared concerns and frustrations about the existing delivery service.
  • Customers who do not have a My Post account will still receive physical parcel notification cards as usual.

Members, we'd like to hear your thoughts on this change in mail delivery service. Do you believe it will make things easier and more convenient, or are you concerned it might be more hassle than it's worth?

Also, have any of you had unsatisfactory experiences with Australia Post? Please share them in the comments; we're eager to read about your experiences!

Sponsored
Well, at least if I got one of those cards while I was out, it would save me from getting home, finding the card and then having to get back in the car and go and pick up my parcel.

Reactions: Ricki and Marj53
The sender has all buyers' details.

Can't Australia Post text an approx time when it texts the date?

It's not reasonable to ask buyers to be at home for the whole day of the date texted.

I live in retirement village and our parcels are often taken straight to post office despite being home and I have complained to Australia Post many times to no avail! Many people here no longer drive and cannot get to Post Office very easily so it is a HUGE problem!!! We pay for delivery so they should bloody well deliver!!!

I don't think it will make it any more efficient - it is all down to the driver who delivers the actual parcel - I live in a gated community and as I am retired I am home most of the time, especially if I know a parcel is arriving. But what really gets me annoyed is that I follow the tracking on my phone, right up until he is almost at the gate, then it says no one was home and for me to pick it up at my nearest post office. What a load of rot. I even checked with the onsite manager - we have cctv cameras at the gate - no one came anywhere near the gate, and in fact in the distance, around the same time, you can see an Aust Post vehicle whizz past on the road - without even trying to gain entry - what a joke. I just refuse to pick up at post office as I have paid for delivery and that is what I expect. I contact the supplier and request a refund for non-delivery, which they have always given me so far. Some of these drivers are paid by the number of deliveries they complete, and delivery to a Post Office counts as a completed delivery. Funny how it is only Australia Post that have the problem - all my other deliveries arrive perfectly as expected.

Reactions: marni and Trudi
We completely understand the frustration of receiving those 'Sorry we missed you' cards in the mail, especially for those of us who are always at home, ready to answer the door and sign for deliveries.

These paper cards can be annoying, not just because they make it challenging and time-consuming to retrieve our packages but also because deciphering the often illegible delivery instructions can be a real hassle.

But there's good news! In response to the frequent complaints from customers, Australia Post has introduced a new system that replaces those physical 'Sorry we missed you' cards with a digital counterpart on their AusPost app.

In other words, if you've downloaded the app and created an account, you can say goodbye to physical cards.

Instead, you'll receive digital push notifications sent directly to your mobile device or computer, complete with all the necessary delivery instructions.

View attachment 29974
Australia Post is going to start using digital missed delivery cards. Credit: Shutterstock.

If you receive a parcel through Australia Post, you're still required to visit the post office and collect your delivery if it's not left at your door. The digital card will tell you exactly which branch the item is held at.

But what if you don't have the AusPost app or a MyPost account? For those who aren't as tech-savvy, you will continue to receive traditional paper cards for your mail deliveries.

According to a spokesperson for Australia Post, 'The new digital notifications will reduce paper waste while providing customers with increased convenience, reliability and the flexibility to plan their parcel pick up when they're away from home.'

Unfortunately, even with the new digital system in place, it can't guarantee that mail carriers won't make mistakes. The response from customers has been lukewarm, to say the least.

Many customers shared stories about their mail delivery aggravations in an online forum.

One user commented: 'AusPost (is) shifting to digital missed delivery cards. So now they can send you missed delivery cards without even attending your address.'

Another agreed and shared, 'I caught one once when I was actually home, and they were dropping off a missed delivery card.'

'She sheepishly said that she had already marked it as a missed delivery and showed me the pic. I argued with her that I was right there and had been the whole time. She eventually called a supervisor who allowed her to give me my parcel. Super annoying.'

Another even said that they once chased down the delivery driver on his bike with the card and had to ask for their package literally.

'I had been waiting for it, and he just put the slip straight in the mailbox. Definitely didn't miss me,' they recalled.

Meanwhile, others complained that delivery drivers taking a photo of the delivered package is also no guarantee that they got the address correct.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post is introducing a new digital system to replace 'Sorry we missed you' cards with notifications on the AusPost app.
  • The change is intended to reduce paper waste and provide customers with increased convenience in collecting their undelivered packages.
  • Some customers remain sceptical of the new system and have shared concerns and frustrations about the existing delivery service.
  • Customers who do not have a My Post account will still receive physical parcel notification cards as usual.

Members, we'd like to hear your thoughts on this change in mail delivery service. Do you believe it will make things easier and more convenient, or are you concerned it might be more hassle than it's worth?

Also, have any of you had unsatisfactory experiences with Australia Post? Please share them in the comments; we're eager to read about your experiences!
I have been trying to do Christmas shopping online I’ve had three parcels in as many days and I’ve had to go to different post offices to pick them up what’s the point of shopping online if you still have to go pickup the parcels yourself I’ve see one parcel delivery get out of his car take a picture get back in his car and off he went I’m 73 years old I couldn’t get to the gate in time to catch him so again I had to get in my car and off to pick up my parcel I’m beginning to think I’d be better off doing one trip to shops and be done with it

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 29974

Key Takeaways

Very annoying when you find such a card in your letter when lazy postie won't come to your front door with the parcel, especially when you are home waiting for parcel and they do not deliver
Surelpostie's should be fit enough to come to your front door

View attachment 29974

Key Takeaways

could not be bothered and if it is unable to be read, well the counter staff will have to decipher it.

View attachment 29974

Key Takeaways

I've had the app for many months now, but not all of my deliveries make it onto the app. I've been in to pick up a delivery the app told me about, only to find there were actually 4 parcels there for me. In one instance I found an express post letter that had been at the post office for a month and a half taped to a parcel that had come for me. Really not good enough.

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl

View attachment 29974

Key Takeaways

There is also someone out there pretending to be AusPost and sending email messages of a missed delivery because no-one was home. I have received so many of these false notices, when I have not ordered anything to be delivered!

I have been trying to do Christmas shopping online I’ve had three parcels in as many days and I’ve had to go to different post offices to pick them up what’s the point of shopping online if you still have to go pickup the parcels yourself I’ve see one parcel delivery get out of his car take a picture get back in his car and off he went I’m 73 years old I couldn’t get to the gate in time to catch him so again I had to get in my car and off to pick up my parcel I’m beginning to think I’d be better off doing one trip to shops and be done with it
That would be the sensible thing to do.