Australia is running out of crucial medication: TGA issues warning

Australia is currently facing a shortage of a common medication used by millions, with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) confirming there is 'limited availability' of the drug across the country.

Amoxicillin - an antibiotic medication used to treat bacterial infections - is currently in high demand due to an unexpected increase over recent months.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 11.55.27 AM.png
The country is experiencing a shortage of the antibiotic amoxicillin, which is used to treat a wide range of bacterial diseases. Credit: Getty.

As a result, many pharmacists and GPs are struggling to keep up with patient requests for the life-saving drug.

Anthony Tassone, from the Pharmacy Guild of Australia, told a news source that shortages like this one cause 'a lot of disruption and frustration for patients, doctors and pharmacies'.

He added that most pharmacies around Australia have already run out of stock, saying: 'This has ranged from children's formulations and also tablets and capsules for adults.'

Chemist Warehouse pharmacist Angela Stathopoulos echoed these sentiments, telling reporters that alternate brands of amoxicillin are also under increasing pressure due to patient demand.

'When one brand goes out of stock, it then puts pressure on the other brands because everyone is looking for alternatives,' she said. 'But pharmacists and GPs can work together to determine what the best alternative is for each patient.'

According to Ms Stathopoulos, patients should always consult with their healthcare professional before taking any new medication.

Credit: HOW TO MEDICATE.

What is amoxicillin, and what does it do?

Amoxicillin belongs to a class of antibiotic drugs called penicillins. It is effective against a wide variety of bacteria that cause illnesses like pneumonia and tooth abscesses and can be used in conjunction with other antibiotics and drugs to heal stomach ulcers.

I am taking amoxicillin. How will I be affected by the shortage, and what can I do about it?

If a patient has any queries or concerns, the TGA has recommended that there are various brands, strengths, or alternative alternatives that are available and have a similar spectrum of activity. Patients are also urged to consult with their pharmacist or GP.

In an effort to mitigate the impact of the shortages, the organisation confirmed that it has authorised the importation and distribution of ten amoxicillin medicines with foreign registration.

Australia is not the only country currently experiencing a shortage of amoxicillin due to high demand. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, the United States is also facing a lack of availability of the drug.

Government databases in Ireland, Malaysia, and Romania have reported similar shortages in recent months, with some attributing the problem to manufacturing issues and others citing unexpected patient demand.
Key Takeaways

• Australia is facing a shortage of amoxicillin, an antibiotic medication used to treat bacterial infections, due to an 'unexpected increase in demand' over recent months.
  • Shortages cause a lot of disruption and frustration for patients, doctors and pharmacies. To minimise the impact, the TGA has approved the importation and supply of 10 overseas-registered amoxicillin products.
  • Australia is not the only country to experience an amoxicillin shortage due to high demand.

Members, if you or someone you know is currently taking amoxicillin, it is important to speak with a healthcare professional before making any changes to your medication.

Like any other medication, amoxicillin is not suitable for everyone. To make sure amoxicillin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you:
  • have ever had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin or penicillin or any other medicine,
  • have liver or kidney problems,
  • have recently had, or are due to have, any vaccinations.
Please feel free to phone Healthdirect's 24/7 hotline at 1800 022 222 for non-emergency medical advice and support. Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

Sponsored
I am allergic to penicillin and since 1988 I have been using Colloidal Silver to bathe any wounds and also to take orally - strictly following guidelines of use. Works for me

I always thought doctors are prescribing antibiotics too easily/fast, so this MIGHT BE a blessing in disguise for some...

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Australia is currently facing a shortage of a common medication used by millions, with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) confirming there is 'limited availability' of the drug across the country.

Amoxicillin - an antibiotic medication used to treat bacterial infections - is currently in high demand due to an unexpected increase over recent months.

View attachment 8315
The country is experiencing a shortage of the antibiotic amoxicillin, which is used to treat a wide range of bacterial diseases. Credit: Getty.

As a result, many pharmacists and GPs are struggling to keep up with patient requests for the life-saving drug.

Anthony Tassone, from the Pharmacy Guild of Australia, told a news source that shortages like this one cause 'a lot of disruption and frustration for patients, doctors and pharmacies'.

He added that most pharmacies around Australia have already run out of stock, saying: 'This has ranged from children's formulations and also tablets and capsules for adults.'

Chemist Warehouse pharmacist Angela Stathopoulos echoed these sentiments, telling reporters that alternate brands of amoxicillin are also under increasing pressure due to patient demand.

'When one brand goes out of stock, it then puts pressure on the other brands because everyone is looking for alternatives,' she said. 'But pharmacists and GPs can work together to determine what the best alternative is for each patient.'

According to Ms Stathopoulos, patients should always consult with their healthcare professional before taking any new medication.

Amoxicillin belongs to a class of antibiotic drugs called penicillins. It is effective against a wide variety of bacteria that cause illnesses like pneumonia and tooth abscesses and can be used in conjunction with other antibiotics and drugs to heal stomach ulcers.

I am taking amoxicillin. How will I be affected by the shortage, and what can I do about it?

If a patient has any queries or concerns, the TGA has recommended that there are various brands, strengths, or alternative alternatives that are available and have a similar spectrum of activity. Patients are also urged to consult with their pharmacist or GP.

In an effort to mitigate the impact of the shortages, the organisation confirmed that it has authorised the importation and distribution of ten amoxicillin medicines with foreign registration.

Australia is not the only country currently experiencing a shortage of amoxicillin due to high demand. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, the United States is also facing a lack of availability of the drug.

Government databases in Ireland, Malaysia, and Romania have reported similar shortages in recent months, with some attributing the problem to manufacturing issues and others citing unexpected patient demand.
Key Takeaways

• Australia is facing a shortage of amoxicillin, an antibiotic medication used to treat bacterial infections, due to an 'unexpected increase in demand' over recent months.
  • Shortages cause a lot of disruption and frustration for patients, doctors and pharmacies. To minimise the impact, the TGA has approved the importation and supply of 10 overseas-registered amoxicillin products.
  • Australia is not the only country to experience an amoxicillin shortage due to high demand.

Members, if you or someone you know is currently taking amoxicillin, it is important to speak with a healthcare professional before making any changes to your medication.

Like any other medication, amoxicillin is not suitable for everyone. To make sure amoxicillin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you:
  • have ever had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin or penicillin or any other medicine,
Please feel free to phone Healthdirect's 24/7 hotline at 1800 022 222 for non-emergency medical advice and support. Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

I'm not a health expert but I often wonder if bacterial or viral infections necessitate antibiotics.
In general, I understand that antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections i.e. fight bacteria.

Once my late mother was in the hospital. The doctor told me a chest scan showed that she had some form of infection so they are going to administer antibiotics. I research that particular antibiotic and read about possible side effects, so being cautious, I asked the doctor if they can determine if the infection is bacterial or viral. If bacterial infection, the antibiotics would make sense. If viral infection, the antibiotics won't help but might introduce side effects at her frail age of 95.

The doctor told me that the scan was inconclusive and that antibiotics is administered as a general "remedy" (i.e. trial and error).
Wow! talk about a doctor's expertise
Then I researched and found that there would be a new way to a blood test for viral or bacterial infection - I hope this comes to market soon so that we have a more definite answer to administer the appropriate medication.

Last edited:
I'm not a health expert but I often wonder if bacterial or viral infections necessitate antibiotics.
In general, I understand that antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections i.e. fight bacteria.

Once my late mother was in the hospital. The doctor told me a chest scan showed that she had some form of infection so they are going to administer antibiotics. I research that particular antibiotic and read about possible side effects, so being cautious, I asked the doctor if they can determine if the infection is bacterial or viral. If bacterial infection, the antibiotics would make sense. If viral infection, the antibiotics won't help but might introduce side effects at her frail age of 95.

The doctor told me that the scan was inclusive and that antibiotics is administered as a general "remedy" (i.e. trial and error).
Wow! talk about a doctor's expertise
Then I researched and found that there would be a new way to a blood test for viral or bacterial infection - I hope this comes to market soon so that we have a more definite answer to administer the appropriate medication.

This is the problem over decades doctors incorrectly using antibiotics that is why they are not as effective

View attachment 8315

Key Takeaways

I understand your concern. In general, it has been my understanding, the over use of antibiotics can build a natural immunity to their effectiveness. So alternative treatments need to be considered first. ☠️

The whole medical/medicines situation is going to hell in a handbasket. I haven't been able to get my diabetic medications for months now and it is a daily struggle to try and keep my blood sugars within acceptable limits. I don't always manage it and god only knows what the long term effects will be. We need to be far more self-sufficient in this area, make this stuff here, for our use and we can supply the rest of the world with our excesses, we have the necessary expertise, just need the facilities.:(